• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness: The Official Thread

Haklong

neuroticphil said:
I don't think I was aware that I was in the mood to watch To Kill a Mockingbird, but here I sit. God it's such an amazing movie.

The full movie is in there? With Gregory Peck? Is that the PS3 version or do both versions have the same amount of movies?

Pastry

Banned
neuroticphil said:
May I strongly suggest you watch the film for the content and not for points. It really is an amazing film.

I'v seen the movie several times as well as read the book, so I know the story. Just curious if the achievement requires the entire movie to be watched.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shawnwhann said:
If someone can confirm that the PS3 version has that movie as well, I am all over it today. It wouldn't happen to be in HD would it?
Why wouldn't it be? If anything, I'd expect additional video content in the PS3 game.

The ps3 has additional video content. I'm not sure if it's in hd though I doubt it would matter. You can't really get Jackie that close to the tv's.

Cdammen

Just watched SVT's (Swedish channel) economic news report and one 15min segment featured Johan Kristiansson (MD for Starbreeze Studio) talking about his company, their latest game (The Darkness, obviously) and how they turned down an really well-paid job offering because they were undermanned.

SantaC

Cdammen said:
Just watched SVT's (Swedish channel) economic news report and one 15min segment featured Johan Kristiansson (VD for Starbreeze Studio) talking about his company, their latest game (The Darkness, obviously) and how they turned down an really well-paid job offering because they were undermanned.

yeah they're only 45 people...why cant they hire more?

Cdammen

SantaC said:
yeah they're only 45 people...why cant they hire more?
They really need programers at the moment but there are too few people studying/graduating in that field.

I'll check the news report and take some caps once it hits SVT's homepage.

(EDIT) And yeah, I changed VD to MD in my previous post :)

SantaC

Cdammen said:
They really need programers at the moment but there are to few people studying in that field.

I'll check the news report and take some caps once it hits SVT's homepage.

kinda funny. My friend here got a job at starbreeze as programmer, he was there for a week before going home. He didn't want to stay because the people were working 24/7 and had no life...

Cdammen

SantaC said:
kinda funny. My friend here got a job at starbreeze as programmer, he was there for a week before going home. He didn't want to stay because the people were working 24/7 and had no life...
Well... isn't game development usually like this? Your work hard, even harder in the latter stages of development and then take a well-deserved vacation when the software's done :)

SantaC

Cdammen said:
Well... isn't game development usually like this? Your work hard, even harder in the latter stages of development and then take a well-deserved vacation when the software's done :)

probably. I graduate as a computer scientist myself next month but i have no interest in game devlopment field.

JoeFenix

WOW!!!!

This game is amazing so far, I am about 2 hours in (360 version) and let me tell you, I can't believe anyone would be disapointed with the way this game looks and feels.

Absolutely brilliant, feels like an adventure game with kickass action segments. World feels very fleshed out and the texturing is INSANE.

Just feels like the devs really cared about the little details, I can only hope that it gets better and better. So far I am incredibly impressed! Oh and for you graphics whores out there, this game uses really high AF+AA with V-synch on at a stable framerate.

That Donahoe guy probably has ADD because what's hard for me is to NOT explore everything. Very easy to just open the menu and look at the directions or listen to the NPC's give you info on where to go. So simple....

Controls felt a bit loose at first but was quickly adjusted by messing around a bit in the options. Feels really solid now. One thing that I haven't seen any reviewer talk about is just how immersive it is to actualy see your character's hands move over obstacles when you are behind cover.

Anyway, back to playing! Thumbs up so far! Good job Starbreeze! :D

newsguy

JoeFenix said:
WOW!!!!
*praise*

Just from your description I know I will be in the love category for this game. I really appreciate the little detials. Can't wait to hear how this sounds in Dolby D.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
JoeFenix said:
WOW!!!!

This game is amazing so far, I am about 2 hours in (360 version) and let me tell you, I can't believe anyone would be disapointed with the way this game looks and feels.

Absolutely brilliant, feels like an adventure game with kickass action segments. World feels very fleshed out and the texturing is INSANE.

See now that's what I'm talking about.

soco

SantaC said:
probably. I graduate as a computer scientist myself next month but i have no interest in game devlopment field.

it happens in other programming areas as well. (the working your ass off) as you typically get salaried and there's always some sort of milestones or deadlines and poor planning & lack of solid designs from the start, although in my experience its not as bad in europe as in the US, but that's more to do with laws (at least in some countries).

Dev1lZ

Banned
I'm buying the PS3 version -on a wing and a prayer- frankly because I have sent my 360 in twice with RROD- the last time only seven days after receiving it from M$. Well M$ lost their butts on this one behind their shoddy quality on their console.(I still haven't gotten it back)

Cmagus

Im going to go pick it up for my PS3 in an hour or so Im a big fan of the comics and from what I have seen they did a nice job with it

Pastry

Banned
Not a Jellyfish said:
Apparently gamerankings has IGN giving the 360 version a 7.8 and the ps3 version a 9.

You'v got to be kidding me, they're supposed to be identical except for extra TV and movies added in.

EDIT: IGN PS3 has no review listed for The Darkness, gamerankings am wrong.

newsguy

dralla said:

That's the best review by far. "The sum is not the total of it's parts," has to be the best way to describe the game. Like he said, it's an amazing ride, and it makes you look past the flaws. 8.2 seems to be just the right score when you look at the things they mention in the review. Something I did notice is that they mentioned Paulie being Jackie's uncle in the videogame storyline, which isn't so in the comic, but I guess they had to make changes for the game to flow.

JoeFenix

Update time!

Game is still awesome, but one thing i don't like is the fact that NPC's don't seem to react to the fact that I have huge tentacles and glowing yellow eyes when I turn on my darkness mode. Kinda takes you out of it a little...

Otherwise i'm still really happy with everything else....quality stuff!

JoeFenix said:
Game is still awesome, but one thing i don't like is the fact that NPC's don't seem to react to the fact that I have huge tentacles and glowing yellow eyes when I turn on my darkness mode. Kinda takes you out of it a little...
I suppose, but when people have been witness to a 100 ft. Stay Puft Marshmallow Man walking through downtown New York I guess they just get desensitized to that kinda stuff...

Updated impressions:pS3 version

I really really wanted to love this game.

noticing some jaggies now but the close you get to those objects jaggies dissapear. Loading time DO Get annoying now especially the 15 -20 seconds getting in and out of subways. The walking is really slow and stuttery at time the shooting feels loose and jerky. There is alot of pointless wandering to get from one objective to another combined that with the slow ass walking it gets really frustrating.

Its sad when you die due to controls and not lack of reflexes. :( The AI is really bad i was not expecting it to be this bad they can see you through walls at times and at time you can shoot them and they wont notice. Controlling the darkling is needlessly hard.

REally the game is a solid rental due to atmosphere/story and gore but it is only a 7/10 at best.

Jirotrom

the controls are iffy in this game but its got great auto aim...Now that Ive cleared the bad stuff.

WOW...what an amazing opening! Great production values and the Sound design is crazy erie.

dark10x

F*CK MULTIPLATFORM RELEASES. They make buying a new game f*cking hard as hell and RUIN the experience.

I'm about ready to return the PS3 version right now after only playing the intro. No motion blur (after someone claimed it was in) and no AA. What, a small issue? Sure it is...but I want my experience to be tops and motion blur f*cking matters.

If you release on a single platform...what happens? That's right, the game looks and plays exactly as it should. Multiplatform though? Someone gets screwed. I know the 360 version was always shown and I should have went for it, but honestly, my PS3 needed some games and I don't trust my 360 hardware. I really hate the fact that my experience is now compromised. Rather than enjoying the game I can only think of what is missing. :( I really wish I weren't so picky, but there really isn't anything I can do about that now.

I wonder if Circuit City will allow me to return this for the 360 version? I honestly don't even want to play the game knowing that I'm missing out on something. I'm somewhat annoyed that someone made the claim that motion blur was present on PS3, though. Had I known that from the start I wouldn't have made this mistake.

For those who don't care, though, the framerate is fine and everything else seems equal.

dark10x said:
F*CK MULTIPLATFORM RELEASES. They make buying a new game f*cking hard as hell and RUIN the experience.

I'm about ready to return the PS3 version right now after only playing the intro. No motion blur (after someone claimed it was in) and no AA. What, a small issue? Sure it is...but I want my experience to be tops and motion blur f*cking matters.

If you release on a single platform...what happens? That's right, the game looks and plays exactly as it should. Multiplatform though? Someone gets screwed. I know the 360 version was always shown and I should have went for it, but honestly, my PS3 needed some games and I don't trust my 360 hardware. I really hate the fact that my experience is now compromised. Rather than enjoying the game I can only think of what is missing. :( I really wish I weren't so picky, but there really isn't anything I can do about that now.

I wonder if Circuit City will allow me to return this for the 360 version? I honestly don't even want to play the game knowing that I'm missing out on something. I'm somewhat annoyed that someone made the claim that motion blur was present on PS3, though. Had I known that from the start I wouldn't have made this mistake.

For those who don't care, though, the framerate is fine and everything else seems equal.

yea i was wowed by the intro but damn i should have rented the 360 version. even then teh gameplay issues do not make it worth buying at all. Total Dissapointment i wish i paid attention more to the game before i posted my initial impressions.

Mesijs

JoeFenix said:
WOW!!!!

Just feels like the devs really cared about the little details, I can only hope that it gets better and better. So far I am incredibly impressed! Oh and for you graphics whores out there, this game uses really high AF+AA with V-synch on at a stable framerate.

That Donahoe guy probably has ADD because what's hard for me is to NOT explore everything. Very easy to just open the menu and look at the directions or listen to the NPC's give you info on where to go. So simple....

Controls felt a bit loose at first but was quickly adjusted by messing around a bit in the options. Feels really solid now. One thing that I haven't seen any reviewer talk about is just how immersive it is to actualy see your character's hands move over obstacles when you are behind cover.

Yeah, completely agree.

Tieno said:
dark10x, just say you bought the wrong version and don't have a ps3. You'll look like a retard, but hey...

err what are you new here?

I have the ps3 version and Darks impressions are spot on.

edit: ahh i thought you were calling him an xbot:lol

dark10x

Tieno said:
dark10x, just say you bought the wrong version and don't have a ps3. You'll look like a retard, but hey...
I might try that...

I have the damn game sitting here paused. It sounds so good and I really want to play...but damn it. :(

newsama

Ok, i'm stuck in the Otherworld, right after you talk to
your grand grand grandfather :p. How do I get past that bell wich blocks the way right after you arrive at the hills? I tried getting past it with that tentacle power, I forgot the name, but I couldn't find anything to unblock my path on the other side of the bell. there's only a hallway wich leads outside :(
Anyone who helps will grant a place beside lil baby jesus in heaven.. And have my gratitude of course, not that it really matters :p

Edit: NVM, i didn't realize at first
that u could actuallu push/pull stuff with that power ¬¬

Tieno

Kabuki Waq said:
err what are you new here?

I have the ps3 version and Darks impressions are spot on.
Huh?

the looking like a retard is just to claiming you have bought the wrong version. (I imagine that genuinly happens, but it's quite stupid, not?)

edit: nvm.

FrankT

Kind of glad I didn't drop the dough on this game while in the store earlier as I was real tempted after hearing Overlord isn't in until tomorrow. But alas, I would like to support it, but I just haven't been convinced yet and with so many games I want out at the same time there is only so much cash to go around. Next-gen hurts the wallet. Still, I hope the title does well overall.

ghostmind

I'm very close to cancelling my Amazon order due to all these mixed reviews and impressions... i'm going to wait until Gamespot's review to decide, but my gaming $$ might be going to NG Sigma instead next week...

Top Bottom