• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dismissal of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

thumb

Banned
Cool. That sounds a lot more interesting than what they've been doing for the past couple of years.

Come on. In the paat couple years, FROM has singlehandedly created/refined a new subgenre. Very, very few developers can claim as much. Whatever you think of their output, it's hard to argue that them making a throwback shmup would somehow be more interesting.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Was the gameplay different? Were the levels better? Did it add anything to the core experience that DKCR lacked? With the exception of two characters (whose inclusion weren't even needed), the game didn't add anything.

"I'm going to say the things they added don't count because reasons."

The level design was better than DKCR. The music was better. The controls were better. The art design/atmosphere was better. They added more gameplay options with the other characters.

They improved on the game and added some new features without turning the game into a different genre, just as they did for Prime 2 and 3. Just as almost all sequels do.

Personally, I thought it was a waste of Retro's talent.

This is such nonsense. It literally means nothing.

It's an amazing game and it's a game Retro wanted to do, meaning it was unquestionably not a "waste" of their talent.

And that's another meme I always saw around TF. No, you personally not being interested in a game does not mean the developer is "wasting their talent." They made one of the greatest platformers ever. So no.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I didn't know Tropical Freeze received any sort or backlash of dismissal. I thought it was a fairly successful and well-liked game.

Huh, TIL. TIL, indeed.

Edit: I will say that it really pisses me off that folks seem to think that Retro Studios should be some sort of Metroid-only studio.

Retro Studios needs to hop from IP to IP at a whim, reviving old Nintendo franchises and coming up with their own as well. Limiting them to one franchise is stupid. We've got three great Metroid games from them, let them work on something else.

While NCL may or may not have made calculations of the kind that you suggest (I have no information either way) with respect to Tropical Freeze, it's at least worth noting that in this particular instance, it was actually Retro's directly-expressed preference to continue working on DKC:

I do think it's a bit unfortunate that Retro wasn't given a third and fourth option (those being reviving another previously dormant IP or making a new IP altogether), but it does show that Retro deliberately choose DK over Metroid, so anyone whining about that is being a bit petty I'd say.

sanstesy

Come on. In the paat couple years, FROM has singlehandedly created/refined a new subgenre. Very, very few developers can claim as much. Whatever you think of their output, it's hard to argue that them making a throwback shmup is somehow more interesting.

You're right. Making 4 sequels to Demon's Souls has to be the most interesting thing a single developer must have ever done.

The End

1) I have zero nostalgia for Donkey Kong Country in any way, shape, or form.
2) Super Mario 3d World is better by every metric so why wouldn't I just play that.

It got ignored for a bit by people because the installbase was shit, and the system had so many platformers by that point and not much else.

But DKTF and BB came out in different years...

BloodBourneRobbed

Doesn't really matter DKCR:TF is better than the phenomenal DKC2. As a fanboy of DKC2 who literally grew up on it for years because it was the only non-pack-in SNES game my parents got me, I have a huge nostalgia for DKC2. But even with that DKCR:TF is still way better. It's in my personal top 3 of 2D platformers for me. The holy trinity for me is SMB3, SMW and TF
(Some will argue that SMB1 deserves to be #1 or in the top 3 which I accept but disagree with on a personal level)

thumb

Banned

It's an amazing game and it's a game Retro wanted to do, meaning it was unquestionably not a "waste" of their talent.

And that's another meme I always saw around TF. No, you personally not being interested in a game does not mean the developer is "wasting their talent." They made one of the greatest platformers ever. So no.

Retro crafted one of the highest rated video games ever made. Do you think making a throwback 2D ape platformer is the best use of their talents?

Come on. In the paat couple years, FROM has singlehandedly created/refined a new subgenre. Very, very few developers can claim as much. Whatever you think of their output, it's hard to argue that them making a throwback shmup is somehow more interesting.

Demon's Souls didn't create or redefine the action rpg genre no matter how much some people like to claim otherwise.

Retro crafted one of the highest rated video games ever made. Do you think making a throwback 2D ape platformer is the best use of their talents?

I like 2D platformers so yes I do.

phanphare

Banned

considering the games

absolutely

it'd be silly to think otherwise, they made a genre defining game in Tropical Freeze. may not be to your tastes but that's life.

JaseMath

"I'm going to say the things they added don't count because reasons."

The level design was better than DKCR. The music was better. The controls were better. The art design/atmosphere was better. They added more gameplay options with the other characters.

They improved on the game and added some new features without turning the game into a different genre, just as they did for Prime 2 and 3. Just as almost all sequels do.

That's not what I said at all, but okay.

chadboban

It was also because it just looked like yet another Wii HD game, in line with NSMBU, Wii Fit U, and Wii Sports U. People were at least hoping for something more ambitious from Retro.

Is tropical freeze screenshot looks to be pre-release or something? I don't recall that level looking like that, I guess I imagined it looking better.

I'll admit some parts of TF look worse than others. But personally, I never had a problem with the way the game looks. Guess I appreciated the look of TF more than others because I already adored the art style of DKCR so seeing an improved version of that was great for me.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_014fkqm.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_017js7n.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01o5juq.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01iustj.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01enzj0.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01qcbr7.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016xkwt.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_019dlf6.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_017tuf9.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_014xukf.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_011ijde.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0150abx.jpg

ZeoVGM

Banned

You're not making an argument. It's an amazing game. One of the best platformers ever made. And they wanted to make it.

"It isn't the game I wanted" is what you need to say. That's all. The best use of any developer's talents is simply to make an amazing game. And they did.

koss424

It's a good game, beautiful to look at, it's just too hard. I never finished it. I did beat DKCR on Wii and 3DS though, which I preferred through and through.

Would I prefer that Retro make another Metroid Prime game? Of course. Does that effect my take on Tropical Freeze either way? Nope.

I don't the complexity of the game is what did it in. I know I didn't buy right out of the gate. There was already so many good platformers in the WiiU's early life, I didn't want another platformer when it was released.

Aso Tropical Freeze was the first major game to be released after a dreadful game drought that cemented the reality that the WiiU was a dud. So getting another platformer didn't feel like the game that was needed to inject life into the system.

Having said that, finally getting to the game months later and playing through with an open mind, it's one of the best games released on the WiiU and one of the best platformers ever made.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That's not what I said at all, but okay.

But it's what you mean.

If a game developer makes a game that they wanted to make and it ends up being one of the best ever in the that genre, it is not a waste of their talent.

There is no other argument to be had as far as that is concerned. You simply didn't get the game you wanted.

It lacks the novelty of DKCR on Wii but I think its a better game. My main thing is I don't really like the character movement and momentum all that much. Still a decent game, but I wouldn't put it up there with the Yoshi's Wooly World.

JaseMath

But it's what you mean.

If a game developer makes a game that they wanted to make and it ends up being one of the best ever in the that genre, it is not a waste of their talent.

There is no other argument to be had as far as that is concerned. You simply didn't get the game you wanted.

No, what I meant is that DKCR—an incredible platformer by all measures—was enough. They climbed that mountain, conquered it, and they should've moved on to something else afterward. TF was more of the same. If they wanted to do it, great. Their desire to do an unnecessary sequel isn't going to make me suddenly fall in love with it.

Taker666

I think my dismissal of it was largely because I was already frustrated that Nintendo weren't releasing many games at the time that made strong/clever use of the gamepad to justify it even being included...

...and I was really expecting that Retro were working on something innovative that would have used the two screen hardware to full effect...

...then they annouced a game that didn't need or use the gamepad at all.

If they'd have included a full touch screen level creator, then I'd likely have been more excited. Spending 3 years on a game that made zero use of the hardware that made Wii U unique..just pissed me off.

correojon

The backlash was from people expecting a Metroid game, or something other than "another 2D platformer". I admit I initially passed on the game, mostly because years before it I'd dropped the Wii one after a couple of levels due to the horrible controls. Only after seeing it recommended on GAF over and over I decided to get it. I didn't like it at first but it slowly grew on me and now I have a really hard time not placing it above SMW as the GOAT 2D platformer. It even made come back to DKCR on the 3DS and play it to death as well. The level design is the best I've played in any game ever, it's fucking amazing. I hope we get a DKC trilogy for Switch. Also, it'll suit the system perfectly due to it playing better with the analog stick than with the DPad.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Regardless of how amazing and polished and thoughtfully designed this game may be, none of that translated to the pre-release marketing. It looked bland and soulless. The 2D platforming genre was over saturated. This game was not what people were asking for at the time. There was nothing exciting about it.

Same problem with Mario 3D World. People wanted something new and ambitious to blow their socks off. The Wii U NEEDED a game like that. Those games weren't IT. And we know those developers are capable of it.

Tropical Freeze may not have deserved to flop, but I'm glad it did. It taught Nintendo that being safe can backfire.

AdanVC

This game was the maximum proof that Nintendo never listen (listened) to fans. Literally every single Nintendo fan out there was asking for Retro to bring either a new Metroid, a new IP or an old IP revival, nobody asked for another DKC game and it sucks it was so badly received because the game is amazing. They even got David Wise into the mix!

Watch the video I posted.

I watched it and the issue people had was that Tropical Freeze was yet another platformer (2D on top of that) on the WiiU. With Nintendo being basically the sole big publisher on the platform it was irritating for some people that they would focus on that genre with a studio capable to do something else.

No, what I meant is that DKCR—an incredible platformer by all measures—was enough. They climbed that mountain, conquered it, and they should've moved on to something else afterward. TF was more of the same. If they wanted to do it, great. Their desire to do an unnecessary sequel isn't going to make me suddenly fall in love with it.

This is a reasonable response.
It's similarly why I'm not entirely keen on a Metroid Prime 4, they aced that with 1 and delivered a great follow up with 2.
By the time 3 rolled around it was neat sure but nothing more, I'd feel similarly about a DKCR 3 even with a huge love towards the last two.

(2D Metroid or 3D DK though? that I'm game for)

I get why people were disappointed but the original GAF thread was really embarassing.

Didnt matter anyway because the game turned out amazing, LOL

JaseMath

This is a reasonable response.
It's similarly why I'm not entirely keen on a Metroid Prime 4, they aced that with 1 and delivered a great follow up with 2.
By the time 3 rolled around it was neat sure but nothing more, I'd feel similarly about a DKCR 3 even with a huge love towards the last two.

(2D Metroid or 3D DK though? that I'm game for)

I post/joke about it often, but I'm actually 100% serious when I say it: Retro needs to reboot Star Tropics. Make it into Nintendo's light-hearted, sci-fi version of Uncharted.

Making an console as unappealing as the Wii U is what really backfired there.

Tropical Freeze flopped even by Wii U standards.

Nintendo/Retro wanted to do another Donkey Kong because it was a safe bet. It wound up selling worse than the studio's last Metroid game. Lesson learned.

While NCL may or may not have made calculations of the kind that you suggest (I have no information either way) with respect to Tropical Freeze, it's at least worth noting that in this particular instance, it was actually Retro's directly-expressed preference to continue working on DKC:

I've heard those quotes many times before, and even if one chooses to take them at face value rather than as PR spin (which I don't, personally), it's telling that they apparently weren't given any choice of projects beyond the two IP they'd previously worked on. It doesn't speak well of NCL's management of the studio either way.

mavo

Banned

A highly rated game in a genre nobody cares about, i think is a big distinction, If Retro is so talented they shouldnt be wasting their time making metroidvanias.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/retro-studios-running-metroid-miyamoto/
Miyamoto: ...But when it did Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii, apparently [Retro] had a lot of fun making that title and from what I've heard it put in a request and said that it wanted to do a new Donkey Kong Country game on Wii U themselves. In particular the company built up quite a lot of knowhow in that specific style of gameplay and as a consequence felt that it could leverage that again in creating something new in that same style for Wii U...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...the_list_of_candidates_for_a_new_metroid_game
...According to Retro Studios president and CEO Michael Kelbaugh, the developer had the chance to work on Metroid or Donkey Kong Country and opted for the latter because it had unfinished business with the [DKC] series...

You shouldn't read too much into these PR responses... They'd get fired and wouldn't find another job in the industry if they said "we wanted to do our own thing but those titles never got greenlit, so our only choice was a DKCR sequel". If they really wanted to do this game, it's surprising that the turnover of senior staff was relatively high.
I do think it's a bit unfortunate that Retro wasn't given a third and fourth option (those being reviving another previously dormant IP or making a new IP altogether), but it does show that Retro deliberately choose DK over Metroid, so anyone whining about that is being a bit petty I'd say.

It's notable that NCL has deferred to the wishes of creators in high-profile instances in the past, but you both raise good points: We don't really know how many options Retro was given (don't know for instance if they had any promising alternatives/prototypes of their own that they wanted to pursue), and these statements only indicate that they preferred to pursue DKC over Metroid. I'm not sure if Shiggy is also suggesting that even that much is suspect, however (the statements were issued some time around Sept 2013, and reveal was June 2013).

The GOTY 2014, the best game on the Wii U and tied with Donkey Kong Country 2 as the best platformer of all time.

Screw Metroid. I really hope Retro is working on a third Donkey Kong game. They need to port both Returns and Tropical Freeze to the Switch too.

The GOTY 2014, the best game on the Wii U and tied with Donkey Kong Country 2 as the best platformer of all time.

Screw Metroid. I really hope Retro is working on a third Donkey Kong game. They need to port both Returns and Tropical Freeze to the Switch too.

Yes to both of these. Please be making a third DKC game and announce at E3 for fall/spring.

Tropical Freeze flopped even by Wii U standards.

Nintendo/Retro wanted to do another Donkey Kong because it was a safe bet. It wound up selling worse than the studio's last Metroid game. Lesson learned.

The funny thing is Metroid would of sold worse.

Donkey Kong consistently sells better than Metroid.

OmegaFax

I really liked the game, though admittedly, after finishing it, I never went back to it again. I know some people enjoyed the leaderboards and going back for speed runs.

2013 was a strange year for Nintendo because they hyped up a lot of games during E3 and even extended that hype to in-store demos at Best Buy locations (which you can debate was either a good or bad idea depending on crowds, organization, etc).

Just out of the four games they showed at Best Buy, only two made it for the holiday season (Wind Waker HD and Mario 3d World).

It isn't to say that 2D platforming games are dead Nintendo probably had more success on the handheld with Kirby Triple Deluxe/Planet Robobot, New Island, Woolly World, Box Boy series, NSMB2, and Mario Maker. I don't think Chibi-Robo had a great 2D debut and I'm sort of lukewarm about Pikmin turning into a sidescroller. They all operate differently than Mario (except for the mentioned Mario).

The only issue I had with Tropical Freeze was it felt short and slightly easier that Returns. Load times were a drag. I didn't think it was worst. There was enough expanded in the game through multiple characters, level design, and music to make it more than a worthy sequel. There's no doubt as to WHY it had to be made.

The game (and its prequel) deserve a second chance on the Switch and may benefit from the Switch's growing audience.

In all honesty I never thought of giving this game a second glance until I saw all the praise here. Thank god it's cheap as hell because I just splurged on a used copy several days before payday.

sanstesy

I can't wait when Retro is finally working on that new IP people have been clamouring for only to instantly dismiss it because it's not a Metroid/Uncharted/Skyrim-style game and instead a wacky colourful game in an unexpected genre.

guyssorry

As many people already stated, there was immense disappointment thrown at Retro because they made another 2D game/Donkey Kong Country. It's a fantastic game, and I listen to the soundtrack every day, but lots of gamers today are pretty dismissive of 2D games, hence the reception. It's a shame. Beautiful game.

I adore Tropical Freeze, but I'm still disappointed that was what Retro was working on. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. I'd never pass on a Retro game. In my opinion, they're perhaps the best studio in the business right now. And I think TF was the best platformer of last gen, in a crowded field (on Nintendo's systems, at least).

But I consider 2D platformer to be a fairly shallow genre. Or more objectively, light on content. I got TF day 1, and completed it in full in 2 days. It takes me longer than that, even now, to 100% any of the Prime games. My first playthrough of each was significantly longer.

And, because of the linear and specifically timed nature of the game's mechanics, I feel little urge to replay.

I'll buy Retro's next game as soon as I'm allowed to do so, but I hope it's a meatier game than Tropical Freeze.

ChaosXVI

Tropical Freeze was my favorite game on Wii U, by a pretty good margin. But since Metroid Prime is my favorite game of all time it's kind of a bummer for me to see the DK and Metroid fanbases have so much animosity toward one another. I guess when it was revealed that Tropical Freeze was Retro's game in 2013 I was kind of disappointed, but I loved the shit out of what we got.

I'm more disappointed in Nintendo for not increasing Retro's size to have two full development teams. They've commented on the possibility of doing that for years, and still nothing gets done. I get that Retro is probably an expensive studio to maintain, but fuck man, they are among Nintendo's absolute best in-house teams alongside the Zelda team and EAD Tokyo. How about giving out some fucking credit?

I honestly don't get why people are still clamoring for a new Metroid game from Retro when the vast majority of the team responsible for the MP trilogy is no longer with the company.

Top Bottom