• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Beta Thread: Make Manhattan Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
lol.

r/thedivision just auto deleted my OB map images because it had the word Open Beta in the title.

apparently the only place you can put that stuff is in their megathread, buried under all the shitposts.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hope for beta that vendors don't sell the best shit. Just as an experiment I'd like to observe community behavior when your (good) gear actually requires extract and see how folks behave.

I suspect people will eat each other.

I think it might be even worse than the cb in that regard. I'd like to know if my suspicions are correct. Even if true, I believe retail won't be quite as grim, with players spread thinner across all brackets. But in ob it's basically the entire community crammed in the same end of the kiddie pool. There will be blood. Either way, vendor route or not.

But I just have the feeling forcing extract will cause a bloodbath of biblical proportions.

deoee

Updated.

Patch notes the beta were better then the last 6 months bungie weekly updates.

Bungie updates

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

I hope for beta that vendors don't sell the best shit. Just as an experiment I'd like to observe community behavior when your (good) gear actually requires extract and see how folks behave.

I suspect people will eat each other.

I think it might be even worse than the cb in that regard. I'd like to know if my suspicions are correct. Even if true, I believe retail won't be quite as grim, with players spread thinner across all brackets. But in ob it's basically the entire community crammed in the same end of the kiddie pool. There will be blood. Either way, vendor route or not.

But I just have the feeling forcing extract will cause a bloodbath of biblical proportions.

Honestly, if I see someone near extraction with loot on their back, I start to salivate. Doesn't matter the situation.

Tainted

For people who kept the closed beta client installed on PC, are we able to download the patch already or not?

The game showed up again today on my Uplay library but it says: "Uplay is unable to start your download. Check that you have an active internet connection and sufficient space on your hard drive then try again."

I have both. Anyway, just wanted to check if it is something on my end or not.

I still have the closed beta files on the hdd (also made a backup of them just in case something screws up in uplay)...but I have no icon for it anywhere. When the Closed beta finished the icon was still in my games list with the expired icon on it, but now it has totally disappeared. Hopefully once they allow preloading, the open beta installation picks up my closed beta installation directory and updates it.

-edit- Spoke to soon. I just went and re-launched uplay and I found it in the 'free games' section. Chose ot add it to my games and now it is downloading a 1.23GB update. Looks like I'm good then :)

A post on Reddit got me thinking about "end-game"
Content and what people seek.

I think back to games like Diablo 2/3 and borderlands 1/2; games with definitive end-game except harder modes and, in case of Diablo, randomly generated areas to dungeon crawl.

And yet, we get to a game like Destiny which is, I think, the only non-MMO game to feature raids. And yet, even with hard more dungeons and raids, the game got lambasted for its content.

Is it that a game like destiny sets up a different expectation in its player base? Could Division be a game that gets by like Diablo or BL?

Tainted

I want to know how that damn twitch guy managed to start the game....

It was the PC version he was streaming and I noticed there is an 'unlock test version' button in uplay if you have a password.

I assume he had a password and is breaking an NDA

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
A post on Reddit got me thinking about "end-game"
Content and what people seek.

I think back to games like Diablo 2/3 and borderlands 1/2; games with definitive end-game except harder modes and, in case of Diablo, randomly generated areas to dungeon crawl.

And yet, we get to a game like Destiny which is, I think, the only non-MMO game to feature raids. And yet, even with hard more dungeons and raids, the game got lambasted for its content.

Is it that a game like destiny sets up a different expectation in its player base? Could Division be a game that gets by like Diablo or BL?
It's Destiny's own fault for the way its perceived. They make everything a pain in the ass. They bar you from doing things on your own schedule. They put up arbitrary progression barriers at every turn. And then disable matchmaking on top of it. Destiny walls off its own content behind inconvenience and obnoxiousness to the point casual players are basically juggling the same half-dozen strikes over and over until the game feels tired, boring and worn. The loot system.... jesus christ I'd rather punch myself in the dick.

If most players actually played all the content on their own terms (at least reasonable terms) it might not get the complaints. But you can't really. Destiny feels like a f2p game the way they arbitrarily limit everything, except it's actually a premium game and we paid for the privilege to hurry up and wait.

The Division doesn't appear to be going that route, and massive isn't bungie, thank god. The Division lets you do whatever you want, when you want. People have easy access to all the content and loot is pretty straightforward once it's on the rope. You don't have to plan your week around some dickhead only showing up certain days of the week so you can spend your special currency that can only be earned on certain ways and only so much per week because reasons. The Division, they just let you play the game. So if people tear through it all and there are still complaints about content... they might be justified, and these devs might have to consider a way to address it. Without going the Bungie route and building walls around it all as an arbitrary buffer.

Well there is thread for open beta, no one just uses it for some reason; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181832
Didn't realise that Tovarisc, cheers.

This one is called "The Division Beta Thread" so I'm sure it seems like the most appropriate place to most people, as opposed to a news announcement thread...

Maybe if this one was renamed to "The Division Closed Beta Thread" then people would look for a "The Division Open Beta Thread", but until then I think getting the dates added to the OP would be for the best :)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Someone on reddit just reminded me that you can fast travel to missions. This means that OB will have a fast travel spot right next to the DZ.

Smash88

Banned
On Steam you can install the Beta whenever you want. I could install it any time during the last 2 weeks.

Oh and there will be a new thread for Open Beta which I am making. It's going to be similar to this one, just edited to contain Open Beta information.

Tecnniqe

Banned
On Steam you can install the Beta whenever you want. I could install it any time during the last 2 weeks.

Oh and there will be a new thread for Open Beta which I am making. It's going to be similar to this one, just edited to contain Open Beta information.
New thread? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom