• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DualShock 4 is a piece of garbage

snacknuts

we all knew her
I've got two of these things. The battery in them sucks, but it would be forgivable if they didn't break all the time. I'm not even a little bit violent with my controllers, but I've had to replace the L2 buttons in both of them (twice in one) and they keep breaking. I've never had to fix any other console controller I've ever had before these. What a bunch of trash. Are they any third party controllers that aren't crap?

I've had two launch controllers, a blue one and a red one. Not a single problem except a peeling thumbstick on one of the launch ones.

Ibuki

Banned
Can you elaborate a bit on the triggers breaking?

Are they starting to squeak, because it seems like that is a common problem, or are they actually breaking? In that case it's got something to do with operator error.

styl3s

Use a converter like a CronusMAX and plug in a Xbox One Elite controller. Works like a charm!
0 input lag? I have been thinking about getting it for awhile.

I have never liked the dualshock design i prefer the analog of the 360/x1 controller.

Azoor

How long have you been using them ?

The newer models are sturdier and I've bought one last November and no problems yet.

Three years, three different controllers.

Cheap materials, poor build quality, ridiculous battery life... Every time I remember those comments during the PS4 early days saying that the Dualshock 4 was a top tier controller I laugh.

JayEH

Yeah one of my controllers' analog stick is completely without rubber on it now, I use that one only for fighting games now lol and I can feel that my other controller's rubber is starting to come off too. My R1 gets sticky as well. Biggest thing against the DS4 is definitely the battery. I don't know why they insist on not letting you turn it off when its just a gimmick in some games. I remember someone made a thread that their light died and now the battery life is incredible.

I heavily dislike the build quality of the controller. I feel like I could snap it in 2 if I sneeze while holding the controller.

my dualshock 3 lasted me almost 6 years with heavy use and my ds4 went to shit within a year with minimal use. sony fucked up with the ds4 so bad. all they needed to do was make another dualshock 3 with better left and right triggers that curved upward.

Fusebox

Banned
I mean, the battery could last a bit longer but I must have got one of the magical lauch controllers that still looks and feels new.

Bgamer90

Banned
"Trash" is the Dualshock 3 controller. Dualshock 4 is much better but it's still subpar in my opinion. Poor battery life, cheap analog sticks, and poor triggers.

Abounder

Banned
Not only is it made poorly but the design is shit as well. It's like the Homer Simpson mobile of controllers - let's throw in a crap battery, bad ergonomics, trackpad, light that won't turn off because reasons, etc.

the-homer-inline4.jpg

Agreed, terrible battery life, poor build quality. L2/R2 triggers depress too easily when the controller is resting on a surface.

Microsoft has revised the Xbone controller twice already. Sony needs to get off their asses and revise the PS4 controller.

On a slightly related topic I've found new Xbox 360 controllers are fucking garbage. I bought one and it started drifting about 2 months in. Second one not even a month. The sticks are just not built the same or something.

RamaKun

The battery life of my Dualshock 4 used to be unbearable before I set the controller light to dim and cut off the rumble. Doing that plus keeping a 2nd controller plugged into the system at all times to charge has made it far more manageable.

My main issue that I've had is that every once in a while my controllers will have suddenly start having horrific input lag, sometimes forcing me to reboot the system to get it to stop.

I've had no issues with the face buttons or triggers, though.

Warxard

Banned
Three years, no problems.

I've had two launch controllers, a blue one and a red one. Not a single problem except a peeling thumbstick on one of the launch ones.

I have had 2 controller since launch and mine are fine.

I love these comments because they're so dismissive and quite telling that the posters only read the thread title

Like damn you could at least say " yeah it's trash, fortunate mine are still fine"

--

DS4 is hot garbage, yeah. I'm fortunate that my DS4s are still working but there's still a lot of improvement that these controllers could have.

jrcbandit

They are complete trash. I have two launch controllers and both had the rubber come off the sticks, abysmal battery life, and one of them has defective vibration/rumble. I've never had any issues/troubles with any other official controllers from PS1, PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, WiiU.

xion4360

the DS4 is the best controller ive ever used, battery life aside. There's definitely some build quality issues, but im so light with mine that it hasn't been a problem for me.

I gotta agree...My DS4 is getting destroyed due to Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is the DS4 Killer.

I wish these things were better quality...especially considering the price.

It's a GREAT controller in just about every facet except its durability/quality.

Better durability and a longer battery life would make the controller perfect. Everything else, from the button and thumbstick layout to the shape of the controller, is great.

I mean, the battery could last a bit longer but I must have got one of the magical lauch controllers that still looks and feels new.

Yeah, I've owned 4 of them since launch day and zero problems. They feel pretty good to me. I have the charging station so if one runs low, I can just swap it out, but they last long enough that I never need to since I just put them back in the cradle to charge every night when I'm done.

Stiler

My main issue is the rubber on the joysticks, it seems to crack/come off way too easily.

Playing EA UFC absolutely wrecks them if you play for a month or more cause of the heavy use of the joysticks and rotating them.

Never had a problem with the shoulder buttons though, can't say the same for the xbox one controller (original at least), those shoulder buttons were TERRIBLE and mine required way too much force to "click" in to the point I'd have to take my finger off the normal area to put the force into it and reach up near the very top instead of right on the side where your finger normally rests.

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah, I've owned 4 of them since launch day and zero problems. They feel pretty good to me. I have the charging station so if one runs low, I can just swap it out, but they last long enough that I never need to since I just put them back in the cradle to charge every night when I'm done.

Nice one, I only have two so one is always on charge ready to go for when the other days.

Oh and I dislike how recessed the little options button is, especially when certain games (lookin at you DA:I) insist on saying 'Press the Option Button' to start the game.

The only thing the DS4 has over the One controller is the DPad.

I've had thumbsticks peel, trigger hinges breaking and bumpers getting stuck. Oh and the battery life, don't get me started with that.

hydruxo

I love how the DS4 feels, I just hate how shitty the rubber on the thumbsticks are. The battery sucks too but it's manageable.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
No problems, launch console + 2 more. May be my favorite controller of all time. One of the thumbsticks got a small tear, but the rubber seemed to heal itself over time.

it's the rubber on the joysticks, the joysticks in general, and the triggers mostly.

rubber comes off the joysticks FAST

on one of my controllers, the left joystick stopped being smooth and has this weird squeak feeling to it, to the point, I only make my friends use that controller cause It's annoying to use.

and the trigger issue after some use with it not being smooth as well.

Beefy

I love these comments because they're so dismissive and quite telling that the posters only read the thread title

Like damn you could at least say " yeah it's trash, fortunate mine are still fine"

--

DS4 is hot garbage, yeah. I'm fortunate that my DS4s are still working but there's still a lot of improvement that these controllers could have.

That also works the other way around though right? So you should really be saying " mine are trash and some other peoples are as well, but some DS4's are fine." Or do you only have to say that when your controller is fine?

At the end of the day you can only say on your and peoples around experiences. None of my friends or family have had problems either.

--

Except if I'm not having issues, I really can't view it as trash....

I reaaaaaaaaaally want to love the DS4 because of how damn comfortable the entire thing is. Unfortunately the battery life is straight up garbo. Why the hell is my 3ds lasting more than this thing!? Haven't owned it long enough to experience the build flaws that others are going through, so either I'm lucky in that regard or they're tightening up production on later batches.

Fury451

Banned
I had trigger problems with the old ones, the most recent one I have works really well and I've had no problems with it. The fact that I've had to go through about three or four to get there though is problematic. It's a shame because I think it's the best controller ever from a comfort in design perspective, but the quality has been unfortunate.

Redd

Besides the battery it's almost as good a a 360 controller. DS4 gots it beat with its directional pad but the xbox controller has better triggers imo.

Edit: And I'm starting to get used to the thumbstick location but these trigger buttons cause me grief.

sora87

The controllers I got at launch are still fine but yeah, the battery is pretty poor. Xb1 pads seem to last a lot longer.

Top Bottom