• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

GhaleonEB

goddamn, smithing is almost impossible to bring to 100 after the patch! They went from too easy to way to hard!! I need iron ore, to create gold ore, to create gold rings but noone is selling this shit! I need proper gear to grind some levels and bethesda is making progression in each and every smithing level a crawl! goddamn!

Just keep in mind that the value of what you are smithing is a driver of your skill increases now. To hit 100 on my last few characters I did two things:

1) Keep a few of each ore type on me, and improve all the gear I found before selling it. Advancing Ebony gear will move the bar quite a ways, for example. Especially if you have a few points into the first perk.

2) Just clear out the supplies at an armory and do a smithing session with everything they sold you. I'd get into loops where I'd sell my loot from a dungeon run, then use up all the gold I earned (and then some) buying ore from an armorer, and then forge/improve good gear and sell it back, making most if not all of my original gold back.

By making that a part of my normal post-dungeon/quest loop, I'd level smithing 1-2 times every time my character leveled, keeping it apace. It also helped it not feel like a grind.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just keep in mind that the value of what you are smithing is a driver of your skill increases now. To hit 100 on my last few characters I did two things:

1) Keep a few of each ore type on me, and improve all the gear I found before selling it. Advancing Ebony gear will move the bar quite a ways, for example. Especially if you have a few points into the first perk.

2) Just clear out the supplies at an armory and do a smithing session with everything they sold you. I'd get into loops where I'd sell my loot from a dungeon run, then use up all the gold I earned (and then some) buying ore from an armorer, and then forge/improve good gear and sell it back, making most if not all of my original gold back.

By making that a part of my normal post-dungeon/quest loop, I'd level smithing 1-2 times every time my character leveled, keeping it apace. It also helped it not feel like a grind.
Yup. Everytime I go to sell off loot, I buy up ores and ingots and then create some stuff to keep the leveling going. I'm completely new to smithing, so I'm very glad it hasn't been a super easy process.

Its kept me from being rich, but I dont need a lot of money for anything at the moment, so thats fine.

I think I will but I'm wondering if I'll have trouble in some dungeons? I don't remember if Skyrim scale enemies level to yours.

It's recommended to be level 20 before entering Solstheim.

If you haven't done the Thieves Guild or Mages Guild questlines already, I highly recommend using one of them to level up before playing the Dragonborn content.

It's recommended to be level 20 before entering Solstheim.

If you haven't done the Thieves Guild or Mages Guild questlines already, I highly recommend using one of them to level up before playing the Dragonborn content.

But on the other hand, the Thieves Guild loot scales to your level, so you might want to wait doing that one until you're about level 40 anyway. At least, if you're serious about it. I created a new character specifically for doing the thieves guild, so I didn't really care.

Mastperf

The fastest way to level smithing after they patched it is dwarven bows ( 2 dwarven ingots + 1 iron ingot). Combine the warrior stone with ancient knowledge and the well rested bonus to make it level even faster. Dwarven ruins are full of ingots, solid dwemer metal and scrap metal. You can leave some of the larger ruins with enough for 80+ ingots. You'll have to sacrifice 1 perk toward heavy if you're going light but the payoff is well worth it.

Woorloog

Banned
But on the other hand, the Thieves Guild loot scales to your level, so you might want to wait doing that one until you're about level 40 anyway. At least, if you're serious about it. I created a new character specifically for doing the thieves guild, so I didn't really care.

This i don't understand.

WHY THE FUCK BETHESDA? Why is Thieves Guild the only one with scaled unique loot?

Seriously. Just being a petty thief until level 40 so that i can join the Guild and do the damn quest line with best rewards is not fun (I do all the quests at once, not like "do a quest, level up a bit, do another quest, level up a bit").

The fastest way to level smithing after they patched it is dwarven bows ( 2 dwarven ingots + 1 iron ingot). Combine the warrior stone with ancient knowledge and the well rested bonus to make it level even faster. Dwarven ruins are full of ingots, solid dwemer metal and scrap metal. You can leave some of the larger ruins with enough for 80+ ingots. You'll have to sacrifice 1 perk toward heavy if you're going light but the payoff is well worth it.

I make arrows out of anything that's not iron myself. Riften has a wood stump near the blacksmith and arrows are weightless!

TCRS

Banned
Today after a couple of months I decided to give Skyrim another shot. After ~135h it had gotten pretty stale and I was tired of it. But have now been playing for 5 hours straight and I'm going to continue in about 30 min (short break).

The biggest change for me has been horse combat. Shooting arrows from your horse is brilliant, I love it. The same goes for swords, it's even more fun. You ride away from the enemy, turn around and charge him again, such a great feeling. That also gives horses a purpose in Skyrim, until the patch I had been ignoring them. They are crudly designed, look ugly, no first person (which absolutely killed them for me) and have worse animation than the horses in Oblivion. And after RDR I just couldn't take those ugly horses, but now they are fun again.

I have also made changes in my style. I was getting tired of light armor and bow, I was way overpowered. I have switched to heavy armor and sword/shield. I have a lot to skill there, but it is fun.

And the other major change I have made is I've turned off the HUD. After the novelty of a new Elder Scrolls had worn off I became increasingly pissed by that compass telling me where everything is. Oh look there is a tower behind those trees and I know already although you have never seen it and can't physically see it! The game is so much more fun now when you find things unexpectedly.

Why Bethesda couldn't build in an option to turn off the compass only without the cross I don't know. It's annoying that I have to go back to the menu and turn on the HUD again so that I can use my bow again.

But oh well, I am enjoying it for now (on the Xbox 360).

Today after a couple of months I decided to give Skyrim another shot. After ~135h it had gotten pretty stale and I was tired of it. But have now been playing for 5 hours straight and I'm going to continue in about 30 min (short break).

The biggest change for me has been horse combat. Shooting arrows from your horse is brilliant, I love it. The same goes for swords, it's even more fun. You ride away from the enemy, turn around and charge him again, such a great feeling. That also gives horses a purpose in Skyrim, until the patch I had been ignoring them. They are crudly designed, look ugly, no first person (which absolutely killed them for me) and have worse animation than the horses in Oblivion. And after RDR I just couldn't take those ugly horses, but now they are fun again.

I have also made changes in my style. I was getting tired of light armor and bow, I was way overpowered. I have switched to heavy armor and sword/shield. I have a lot to skill there, but it is fun.

And the other major change I have made is I've turned off the HUD. After the novelty of a new Elder Scrolls had worn off I became increasingly pissed by that compass telling me where everything else. Oh look there is a tower behind those trees and I know already although you have never seen it and can't physically see it! The game is so much more fun now when you find things unexpectedly.

Why Bethesda couldn't build in an option to turn off the compass only without the cross I don't know. It's annoying that I have to go back to the menu and turn on the HUD again so that I can use my bow again.

First thing I'm doing once I get the PC version is installing a mod that turns off the compass, and only the compass.

vixlar

And the other major change I have made is I've turned off the HUD. After the novelty of a new Elder Scrolls had worn off I became increasingly pissed by that compass telling me where everything is. Oh look there is a tower behind those trees and I know already although you have never seen it and can't physically see it! The game is so much more fun now when you find things unexpectedly.

But I hate you can't use magics on horses (clairvoyance). Maybe that weren't a real issue if this game had an useful map.

I'm getting to 150 hours and the game keeps getting better. That feeling of wow is still there when I first played it. Well it took me about 30 hours of gameplay to realise how good the game is because I hated it at first. Good thing I decided to keep playing.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yea, I play mainly archer so I've gotta keep it on. It does suck. At the least, it would be nice to turn off the objective indicator that pops up whenever I get a new quest. I dont mind the compass too much, but I dont need to be told exactly where to go all the time.

GhaleonEB

Yea, I play mainly archer so I've gotta keep it on. It does suck. At the least, it would be nice to turn off the objective indicator that pops up whenever I get a new quest. I dont mind the compass too much, but I dont need to be told exactly where to go all the time.

I'm similar, as I kept the quest markers on (not the ones that hover on scree, just on the compass). I took to turning it off when I got inside of a dungeon though, so objects, bosses and exits were not marked. I only did that late in my playtime with Skyrim, but it did a lot for my immersion into the task at hand. I wish I'd done that sooner.

Mastperf

I make arrows out of anything that's not iron myself. Riften has a wood stump near the blacksmith and arrows are weightless!
Yeah, arrows are a good way to level at a more natural pace. My method was in response to him wanting the fastest way to grind smithing. I was surprised at how fast it leveled with dwarven bows. The ruins plus buying ingots from the blacksmith ( ancient knowledge + warrior stone + well rested too) can level you incredibly fast. It was painful trying to do the jewelry method of mining iron ore and then using the transmute ore spell to make silver or gold. I was also roleplaying an assassin character
that didn't use magic and only used weapons he created, so using the transmute spell wasn't an option.
The only skill I find painful to level now is alchemy. Fortify Alchemy gear helps but it can be expensive and can't be enchanted by my assassin.

Yeah, arrows are a good way to level at a more natural pace. My method was in response to him wanting the fastest way to grind smithing. I was surprised at how fast it leveled with dwarven bows. The ruins plus buying ingots from the blacksmith ( ancient knowledge + warrior stone + well rested too) can level you incredibly fast. It was painful trying to do the jewelry method of mining iron ore and then using the transmute ore spell to make silver or gold. I was also roleplaying an assassin character
that didn't use magic and only used weapons he created, so using the transmute spell wasn't an option.
The only skill I find painful to level now is alchemy. Fortify Alchemy gear helps but it can be expensive and can't be enchanted by my assassin.

Yeah I tried the transmuting way and unless your decent with your spell casting skills and have enough mana (or have a set of alteration gear), it's a bit of work.

I actually power level blacksmithing with making arrows :D. Casually for me would to make iron daggers and enchant them with banish with weak soul gems to make some money back.

How low are the odds of finding a set of dragon scale armor in the game? I wanted to level blacksmithing so that I could make one but I don't know that I have the motivation to get my skill to a hundred just to change my armor.

789shadow

Banned
How low are the odds of finding a set of dragon scale armor in the game? I wanted to level blacksmithing so that I could make one but I don't know that I have the motivation to get my skill to a hundred just to change my armor.
Even when at a high enough level for it to appear, it's pretty low. Your best bet is the Keepers in the Soul Cairn.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm similar, as I kept the quest markers on (not the ones that hover on scree, just on the compass). I took to turning it off when I got inside of a dungeon though, so objects, bosses and exits were not marked. I only did that late in my playtime with Skyrim, but it did a lot for my immersion into the task at hand. I wish I'd done that sooner.
Unless you're in a hurry, it definitely seems a little pointless to have something telling you where to go all the time. Its one thing to check the map once in a while to make sure you're on the right track, but following a compass marker out in the world seemed to really take away a lot of the sense of exploration. Instead of just trying find the straightest line to a destination, you would wander around and there'd be a better chance of stumbling upon something neat.

I'm fully addicted to this game again. I thought that maybe after Dark Souls, it would be a terrible experience, but its so different. Very glad I left a ton to do. My first playthrough was far from a 'jack of all trades, do everything' character, so it still feels really fresh.

At level 26, I finally took the trip into Solstheim. Spent most of my time around the starting town and I love the different atmosphere. The difficulty jump really is noticeable, too. After doing one fairly lengthy dungeon(wont go into spoilers), I pretty much had to leave back to Skyrim to restock healing potions as I got beat up pretty bad and it was one of those 'I'll just check this out.........ok, this is getting pretty far..........holy crap, does this end?' type of dungeons, where I wasn't really well prepared.

GhaleonEB

Unless you're in a hurry, it definitely seems a little pointless to have something telling you where to go all the time. Its one thing to check the map once in a while to make sure you're on the right track, but following a compass marker out in the world seemed to really take away a lot of the sense of exploration. Instead of just trying find the straightest line to a destination, you would wander around and there'd be a better chance of stumbling upon something neat.
Agree. I really wish we could disable quest markers on the compass entirely.

I'm fully addicted to this game again. I thought that maybe after Dark Souls, it would be a terrible experience, but its so different. Very glad I left a ton to do. My first playthrough was far from a 'jack of all trades, do everything' character, so it still feels really fresh.

At level 26, I finally took the trip into Solstheim. Spent most of my time around the starting town and I love the different atmosphere. The difficulty jump really is noticeable, too. After doing one fairly lengthy dungeon(wont go into spoilers), I pretty much had to leave back to Skyrim to restock healing potions as I got beat up pretty bad and it was one of those 'I'll just check this out.........ok, this is getting pretty far..........holy crap, does this end?' type of dungeons, where I wasn't really well prepared.
Without spoiling anything in particular, a couple of the Dwemer ruins on Solstheim are probably my favorite dungeons in the entire game. You'll know the ones I mean when you play them.

Seanspeed

Banned
Without spoiling anything in particular, a couple of the Dwemer ruins on Solstheim are probably my favorite dungeons in the entire game. You'll know the ones I mean when you play them.
Sounds good. I've barely even left town, so I imagine I've barely scratched the surface.

Seanspeed

Banned
Can't you just not tag any quests to be active?

Everytime you get a new quest, a marker pop ups. You can go into the menu and turn it off, sure, but it gets tiresome doing that all the time. And I think the marker pops back up when you reach 'updates' on a quest-line, meaning you're constantly having to turn off quest markers.

An option:

Quest Markers: On/Off by default would have been nice.

bengraven

Anyone know of a good save manager?

I want multiple save profiles, like most other RPGs out there, so I can play multiple characters without having to sift through my saves to find their saves.

GhaleonEB

Can't you just not tag any quests to be active?

The sweet spot I want is to be able to park quest markers on the map, but not have them on the compass. That way I can check my bearings toward a goal (or group of goals) now and then, but not be guided there at all times on-screen. Sure I can toggle stuff on and off but it gets to be a pain, so I took to only doing that in dungeons, where I knew I'd find my objective at the end.

Onikaan

So where we off to next?

03122012022.jpg

(Why'd they downscale the Cyrodiil map?)

Seanspeed

Banned
Its just that your Skyrim map is the 'premium cloth map' that came with the original copies(lol).

I just noticed today that torches have weight to them now! A not-insubstantial 0.5 weight to boot. I was so used to just carrying around a butt-ton of them but once I noticed, I cut it down to about 15-20 at a time. I was kinda wondering why my equip load was a bit higher than normal. Also, do they go out quicker when in windy caves?

Woorloog

Banned
Its just that your Skyrim map is the 'premium cloth map' that came with the original copies(lol).

I just noticed today that torches have weight to them now! A not-insubstantial 0.5 weight to boot. I was so used to just carrying around a butt-ton of them but once I noticed, I cut it down to about 15-20 at a time. I was kinda wondering why my equip load was a bit higher than normal. Also, do they go out quicker when in windy caves?

Torches in Skyrim have always had weight.
And they burn at the same speed everywhere.
And you can take them to water as well, without losing it (unlike in Morrowind/Oblivion).

Seanspeed

Banned
You sure? I could have sworn I used to be able to just carry around hundreds of them without any weight penalty, which I would have noticed since I didn't wear armor before and tended to keep my equip load between 70-90 before missions(lots of potions and poisons).

And it really seems like certain places lower the torch's life. Like if I'm out in the rain or as I said - in a 'windy' cave area.

I guess this could all be in my head, but I'm usually not this crazy!

Woorloog

Banned
You sure? I could have sworn I used to be able to just carry around hundreds of them without any weight penalty, which I would have noticed since I didn't wear armor before and tended to keep my equip load between 70-90 before missions(lots of potions and poisons).

And it really seems like certain places lower the torch's life. Like if I'm out in the rain or as I said - in a 'windy' cave area.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Torch#Torch
Burns 240 seconds. Weight 0.5.
I'll note that it is more likely that your sense of time is not, uh, constant.
Of course, i could be wrong. Count the seconds. Or something. Prove me wrong.

Also, realistically a torch burns about the same time regardless where it is. They're not just sticks on fire, they have oiled cloth as fuel.
I remember some smart-ass suggesting a mod (for Oblivion i think) where torhces are quenced by rain.

EDIT no notes about torches on patch notes.

GhaleonEB

I've always thought torches had no carry weight as well. By the end of some characters I'd have several dozen piled up. Which might explain why I could never find what was weighing me down...

If you put away a torch it resets the timer. If you quickly change to a healing spell or shield then re-equip the torch the timer resets.

:)

An infinite torch mod, was one of the first I DL'ed.
The torch should burn infinitely by default IMO. Just for the sake of gameplay and convenience.

I wish there was a light spell that functioned differently to Candelight or Magelight. Maybe by generating (more) light when the player is holding down the trigger/button.

H3xum

Just sparked up for my 2nd playthrough so I can run the DLC

Going mage-y, suchhhhh slow going in alteration to get the mage armor perk, boo.

Thank goodness for Lydia

moojito

I don't understand how people can play with companions. Hey, let me stand right in front of you and soak up all your spells/arrows/sword hits!

I don't understand how people can play with companions. Hey, let me stand right in front of you and soak up all your spells/arrows/sword hits!

When I played as a mage, companions annoyed the hell out of me because I couldn't even use my most effective weapon, an electric bolt that bounces off its target to any surrounding enemy and friend.

Now I'm playing as a thief and companions are a no-no since they'd blow my cover.

So yeah, I feel like companions are more of a hindrance than anything else.

I usually play with Lydia (giggity giggity) when I'm low-level, and then end up making her the steward of my house. I'll also play with Serana (giggity giggity) during the Dawnguard questline, because she's awesome.

Slermy

I usually don't have a problem with companions, but I only ever use mage/marksman ones, so they tend to stay out of the way as well (since they're firing at a distance).

Mr Swine

Banned
So guys, is the Dragonborn expansion worth getting if I really like Skyrim and its 2 (well 1 really) other expansion? Is it just one small island that you go to or is it more? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. I haven't read so much about the expansion :O

So guys, is the Dragonborn expansion worth getting if I really like Skyrim and its 2 (well 1 really) other expansion? Is it just one small island that you go to or is it more? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. I haven't read so much about the expansion :O

You could always read the OP, most of the relevant info is in there.

And to answer your question, yes.

Top Bottom