• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

Well either she is "lost", the game bugged and she fell through the ground or she is dead :/

I always lose her but she comes back. This was just random. One minute i see her the next she's gone.

OMG man she had so much stuff on her. The fuck. Speaking of bugs. The game stutters alot now. I'm playing on PS3. The HDD light is always flashing. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Okay, I got the game running, finally, and even managed to record it with my commentary. I'll upload the first episodes soon and post them here for preview.

Some funny things happened already, like Lokir or Rorikstead getting crushed by the carriage at the start, and Ralof of Riverwood quickly prattling off all the dialogue he had, like he wanted to get it over with.

Okay, here. I just went in without any preparation, lemme know what you think. Just don't expect too much. :p

Not a lot happens, except for Lokir dying, but oh well. I probably won't do an entire Let's Play, though, since I still play games for fun, and not for work.

Skunkers

Enjoying the hell out of my current Legendary Edition playthrough as a Khajit Stealth Archer. Currently planning running a second character as a barbarian type. Trying to decide what way to go with that: sword and board, dual-wield, or two-handed. Also, axes, hammers, or swords? Thoughts?

lmpaler

Finally picked up the Legendary Edition on steam and I have yet to play it because I sat there browsing steamworks, holy crap there it so much stuff!

But is the legendary difficulty actually hard? I played on master on the consoles and after awhile the dragons were a joke. I ask because I will install the deadly dragons mod so make it how dragons should be.

Crazy rulers of the sky that tear everything up!

Finally picked up the Legendary Edition on steam and I have yet to play it because I sat there browsing steamworks, holy crap there it so much stuff!

But is the legendary difficulty actually hard? I played on master on the consoles and after awhile the dragons were a joke. I ask because I will install the deadly dragons mod so make it how dragons should be.

I'm playing on Expert with Deadly Dragons and it takes me at least half an hour to kill even the weakest ones. I probably got roasted ten times by Mirmulnir.

I haven't tried Legendary yet, but from what I've seen, it's insane. There was one clip that had a level 81 character getting killed in seconds by exposed dragonflame.

GhaleonEB

I'm playing on Expert with Deadly Dragons and it takes me at least half an hour to kill even the weakest ones. I probably got roasted ten times by Mirmulnir.

I haven't tried Legendary yet, but from what I've seen, it's insane. There was one clip that had a level 81 character getting killed in seconds by exposed dragonflame.

IIRC, he also had Deadly Dragons enabled, which combined with Legendary damage multipliers was off the charts crazy.

Personally I'd only enable Legendary after my character was pretty well developed. For most of my characters I started on Expert and notched it up to Master at level 20 or so. My last few were mopping the place up later on, so I'd toggle to Legendary at say, level 35. But then I'm a glutton for punishment, of a sort.

Wallach

With the mod I would not start on Legendary because you'll get wrecked by the early dragons. Without mods it's okay to start on Legendary if you know what you're doing but if you're new you could have a hard time.

IIRC, he also had Deadly Dragons enabled, which combined with Legendary damage multipliers was off the charts crazy.

Personally I'd only enable Legendary after my character was pretty well developed. For most of my characters I started on Expert and notched it up to Master at level 20 or so. My last few were mopping the place up later on, so I'd toggle to Legendary at say, level 35. But then I'm a glutton for punishment, of a sort.

My game feels a lot more difficult now. Dragons and monsters are tougher, I need to find my own route (since I have compass disabled), I need to eat, set up a tent to sleep, get blinded by blizzards, stuff like that. It's awesome.

72850_2013-06-13_00026yuic.png

Pretty, too.

lmpaler

With the mod I would not start on Legendary because you'll get wrecked by the early dragons. Without mods it's okay to start on Legendary if you know what you're doing but if you're new you could have a hard time.

Currently making a Shaman type character, just Legendary setting and some visual mods(blood, towns etc.) the first dragon is wrecking house, playing it smart will yield a 20 or so minute fight I think. Thank god I didn't use that mod, I'd be wrecked lol.

My game feels a lot more difficult now. Dragons and monsters are tougher, I need to find my own route (since I have compass disabled), I need to eat, set up a tent to sleep, get blinded by blizzards, stuff like that. It's awesome.

Pretty, too.

Sir, do you use no HUD or no compass? No compass sounds appealing, is this a simple ini tweak?

Sir, do you use no HUD or no compass? No compass sounds appealing, is this a simple ini tweak?

No compass. I still have health/magicka/stamina indicators, sneaking eye, and my crosshair pops up when I use a ranged weapon. It's a mod called Immersive Hud, works pretty well.

DSmalls84

Does the Legendary edition of Skyrim on PS3 still have the framerate issues that people had at launch? I was thinking of picking it up.

lmpaler

No compass. I still have health/magicka/stamina indicators, sneaking eye, and my crosshair pops up when I use a ranged weapon. It's a mod called Immersive Hud, works pretty well.

Fired this up last night, simple .ini tweak

ShowCompass:0

Makes the game so much better in my opinion and yet I never even thought about removing it. Thank you sir.

Slermy

Does the Legendary edition of Skyrim on PS3 still have the framerate issues that people had at launch? I was thinking of picking it up.

I thought this was remedied? You'll also have the benefit of playing with the patches first, so that should fix a lot of quest issues.

Holy fuckballs, I think I just experienced one of the most epic (though downright unfair) Skyrim moments ever.

I was on the "Alduin's Wall"-quest, heading towards the Karthspire with Delphine, Esbern and my big-ass husky companion Garm in tow. As we head out of Markarth, a dragon starts circling above us, but after we take a few potshots at it it seems to think better of it and flies off into the horizon, leaving us alone.

As we head along the riverside, we come upon a group of Thalmor. Now, the Blades and the Thalmor don't exactly get along, so I was anticipating a fight... But right as I'm thinking that, I hear that familiar flap of wings and a roar piercing the dusk sky. The dragon is back.

It swoops down, flying low, and belches flame on the Thalmor, narrowly missing me and my crew. I fire off my crosbow and hit the thing, only to see its name pop up. Ancient Dragon, the game tells me.

An Ancient Dragon. I'm level 30, playing on Expert, with Deadly Dragons enabled. Taking down a Frost Dragon takes me half an hour, and that's only with the invincible Garm soaking up 90% of the damage. And now the game throws this guy at me.

One of the Thalmor gets roasted immediately, the other two scamper off and hide. The wizard of the bunch starts throwing lightning bolts at it, while Esbern does the same. Delphine, the Justiciar and I are pelting it with bolts and arrows. Occasionally the dragon flies over low, dousing us with flames that kill me in less than two seconds. And if that's not enough, Deadly Dragons gives them the ability to call down fireballs at a certain location. Fireballs which can kill me in less than two seconds. As I said, not exactly something a level 30 with no real high-end gear (because I have Morrowloot installed) can handle. I have a Daedric Sword, sure, but that won't do me any fucking good when the dragon doesn't set down, will it? Anyway, I digress.

As the dragon's flying around, I suddenly see fireballs flying from a high ridge. The dragon lands on the ridge, and I see his health bar decreasing a small fraction. The Forsworn are jumping in the fray. Twenty seconds later, I hear a faint scream of pain, and the dragon lifts off, having roasted the poor bastards alive. He sends down his fucking fireballs on the Thalmor and blows them to hell. I can usually avoid him by using Become Ethereal, but Delphine, Esbern and Garm are taking too much damage to do anything. The dragon's health is at 75%, I have no more health potions, and now it's coming for me. This isn't good.

I have two options at this point, flee to Markarth or flee to the Karthspire. Let the Markarth guard or the Forsworn deal with the beast. The latter option is closest, but still exposes me to a shitton of dragonfire (seriously, those fucking fireballs). So I jump into the river, drawing the overgrown lizard with me to the Forsworn camp. Once I reach it, I hide under the wooden crannog as the Forsworn start focusing their fire on the dragon above me. His health is slowly deteriorating, but the dragon is still too strong. After a short while, everything grows quiet and the corpse of one of the Forsworn floats past me. The dragon has discovered Red Eagle Redoubt in the distance, and starts dividing his time between me and the forsworn there. While this isn't optimal, it gives Delphine, Esbern and Garm the time to catch up with me, and make a stand at the entrance of the Karthspire. Hiding inside is an option, but dammit, I want to take this beast down. And that's when the dragon passes me and throws down his fucking fireballs again. I die.

I had to save and quit afterwards, but rest assured that this motherfucker is going down. If not tomorrow, the day after.

lmpaler

Hmmm. I seem to have an audio glitch with ambient dialogue. It randomly cuts out certain words

Example.

May your road lead... Warm sands

It should be lead you to warm sands. Subtitles say everything fine, but the actual ambient dialogue cuts out. Any fix to this or should I reinstall?

Hmmm. I seem to have an audio glitch with ambient dialogue. It randomly cuts out certain words

Example.

May your road lead... Warm sands

It should be lead you to warm sands. Subtitles say everything fine, but the actual ambient dialogue cuts out. Any fix to this or should I reinstall?

I had this too. Still do, occasionally, when I am panning the camera around or backing away from a character while they're talking. It kinda looked like it solved itself, in my case.

lmpaler

I had this too. Still do, occasionally, when I am panning the camera around or backing away from a character while they're talking. It kinda looked like it solved itself, in my case.

That seems to be the case here too. If I bolt by a few in town it happens. Some searching suggests tweaking the audio settings with the hardware itself so I will attempt that this evening and report back.

CryptiK

I'm about to get back into this. What are some of the best mods to get to make the game look better? I don't mind performance hits I have a Titan.

GenericUser

I love skyrim but I do have one problem: I run out of things to do.

I'm not the "I have to finish every quest in the game guy" I' more like a "I level up to kill that giant endboss the seemed to be impossible in the first place and I do get a giant awesome armor in return" person. Are there any challanges left for my lvl48 woodelve that are not *pointless*

I want to go back to skyrim!!!

lmpaler

I'm about to get back into this. What are some of the best mods to get to make the game look better? I don't mind performance hits I have a Titan.

Flat out ENB then, with CoT and probably SIMM

I love skyrim but I do have one problem: I run out of things to do.

I'm not the "I have to finish every quest in the game guy" I' more like a "I level up to kill that giant endboss the seemed to be impossible in the first place and I do get a giant awesome armor in return" person. Are there any challanges left for my lvl48 woodelve that are not *pointless*

I want to go back to skyrim!!!

Put the game on Legendary, download SkyRe and Locational damage, tweak to your liking. Then download Deadly Dragons, I use the lore version, but use the non lore version and use the Deadly creatures that comes with it. Set Dragons to Insane and tweak creatures to liking.

If your are feeling froggy download Frostfall as well and enable W.E.A.R. And get CoT, make torches essential and set interior to liking. And the follower overhaul, I forget the exact name, enable followers the be able to die, set the rest to liking.

Nothing like freezing to death in the mountains during a blinding blizzard while fighting 2 or 3 dragons that murder your followers.

GenericUser

Flat out ENB then, with CoT and probably SIMM

Put the game on Legendary, download SkyRe and Locational damage, tweak to your liking. Then download Deadly Dragons, I use the lore version, but use the non lore version and use the Deadly creatures that comes with it. Set Dragons to Insane and tweak creatures to liking.

If your are feeling froggy download Frostfall as well and enable W.E.A.R. And get CoT, make torches essential and set interior to liking. And the follower overhaul, I forget the exact name, enable followers the be able to die, set the rest to liking.

Nothing like freezing to death in the mountains during a blinding blizzard while fighting 2 or 3 dragons that murder your followers.

I play on the ps3
reggie-shurg.jpg

hemtae

Finally got around to getting Dragonborn. Time to mod everything up and plunge into the 300 hours of playtime.

So...how did it end? Don't leave me hanging!

Then gather round, children, and I shall finish my story. The story of how Wulf, a feeble level 30 clad in Steel Plate armor, his dog Garm, a fierce Husky of the northern planes big enough to crush you, Esbern and Delphine vanquished a mighty Ancient dragon, and claimed the spoils.

72850_2013-06-26_0000ncs7z.png

I load my savegame, and find myself on the same overlook I ended the game on. My teammates have caught up to me, and are standing beside me. The dragon is still swooping overhead, dropping fireballs on us. My crossbow is nearly out of bolts. I loot a Forsworn bow and arrows from some of the Forsworn that got barbecued, and alternate firing at the dragon with using Become Ethereal to shield myself from his shouts. Esbern starts throwing lightning bolts at the dragon. Delphine and Garm run around the base of the Karthspire making idle threats, because that's important too. And then the dragon comes in low, right after I already used Become Ethereal to protect myself. I only have one option: jump head-first into the Karthspire and hope the fire damage doesn't kill me when I spawn on the other side.

Thankfully, it didn't. But Delphine and Esbern have followed me inside, and decide the puny Forsworn inhabiting the antechamber are more important than the huge-ass Ancient Dragon kicking our asses. I head back outside. Now it's just me and my dog against this pissed off lizard, and things aren't looking very pretty.

But then it happens. My arrow hits the dragon, and mid flight, it drops a few meters. It lets out a pained roar. It disappears around the Karthspire, and I hear a loud noise as it crashes into the ground. I climb my way up the mountain, and see the beast stuck on the main road leading back. It sees me standing on the mountain edge. It's become routine by this point, but damn, that thing is looking angry. I start loosing arrows at it while Garm tries to distract it by biting the dragon in the ass. The dragon is not amused, and smacks Garm into submission with one whip of its tail. Luckily, the dog is immortal, and occasionally regens enough health to attempt to attack again. But my scaly nemesis doesn't care, and starts climbing the mountain to get to me.

Now, not a lot of things frighten me. But the sight of that dragon crawling up the mountain with the sole intention of melting my pretty eyes made me pucker up tight. I had to create distance between us, and the Karthspire overlook isn't an option anymore. So I decide to head back to the bridge that leads there. The dragon is too big to walk on it, so it's stuck on the other side. Or at least, that's what I hope. So I holster my bow, take a deep breath, and sprint towards my destination...

Only to get blown to pieces when the dragon sends a fire storm shout my way, perfectly aimed ahead of me to hit me full in the face. Reload.

This time I yell Become Ethereal the moment I hear the dragon's raspy shouting. The fire strikes a bit to my side, but thankfully I get through unharmed. I reach the bridge, take out my bow, and turn around to face my enemy.

It's still standing there, looking at me. It sends another fireball shout at me, but I skilfully dodge it while peppering its scaly rump with arrows. I manage to evade all of its attacks, while Garm occasionally draws its attention by biting it in the shins again. The dog's gotten smarter, and keeps circling around the dragon now. The dragon, in turn, alternates between snapping at Garm and sending fireballs my way. This is still taking too long, and my quiver is almost empty now.

Suddenly, a thunderclap. The dragon starts glowing purpe when it gets hit by a lighting spell. Esbern and Delphine have followed me back out again. Esbern's summoned Frost Atronarch provides another welcome distraction, even though the dragon's fire breath melts and vaporizes it time and time again. It's got only a fraction of health left. This is the hour.

I put away my bow, take out my Daedric Sword (I'm playing with a mod that changes the loot to be comparable to Morrowind, which means there's only one set of Daedric armor spread around the world. So far, I've only found the sword.) and charge the dragon while Ethereal. It breathes fire at me, and the moment it stops I start hacking away with my blade in an attempt to get the beast down. Its jaws snap shut on me a couple of times, prompting reload after reload. But eventually, the beast lets out a pained roar, lifts its head back, and crumples to the ground and dies. Its skin starts burning, and I notice what was left of my health bar.

72850_2013-06-26_0000ghska.png

The loot was pretty terrible, too.

72850_2013-06-26_0000a5s96.png

JDdelphin

My 300+ save corrupted and I had to start over on 360- and I see that the legendary update got rid of a lot of exploitable leveling tricks. YOU SNEAKY DEVILS.

I tried one, then another and another and almost none of the easy levelups work: Riften Meadvendor, Soul Trap and Courage on a horse with the Winterhold tuning boosts, they'd already got rid of the easy smith dagger boosting hmmm what else... I haven't checked to see if the blind bandit is in the cave for the sneak boosting...

I'm not upset or anything, I just don't feel like hardwaying everything again
I still will though :]

Lyng

I decided to double dip on Skyrim with the great gamefly offer, and help from a friendly Gaffer.

Originaly played it on PS3 and got tired and bored after about 10 hours. Mainly due to some performance issues, the insane amount of long loading screens, and the horrible graphics.

But wow am I in love with this game again.

With the wonderfull SkyUI mod and some graphic mods (no enb since that kills my pc haha) this game is so much more enjoyable. It looks gorgeous and the lack of tedious loadingscreens makes the game feel more immersive.

Playing it with Xbox360 controller on my pc is working like a charm. Im in love with Elder Scrolls again!

Corsick

Is there a quick way to mass uninstall all mods manually? I think I'd have to delete my data folder and download it or something. I have NMM but everything has a red X because most mods are out of date, but they're still installed and working fine, but I can only delete them, not uninstall.

Edit: I know I can disable them with the plugins manager, but I mean having a borderline fresh install of Skyrim essentially so I can start from scratch. I want to avoid having to re download any base files though. I'm doing all this so I can avoid conflicts and having a bunch of random mods left over in my Data folder and such. It feels too unorganized for me to just disable plugins and not actually remove the files.

Edit #2: I'm an idiot, I forgot all the files were nicely laid out in the Data folder already, can just delete all those I *THINK* with no issues (All the plugin data files under the folders).

Lyng

Anyone else that chose to disable Dawnguard?

Half of the NPC's in Windrun got killed by random vampire attacks. All in one attack. Was so annoying and since I dont really care for the whole vampire theme I decided to disable the dawnguard dlc.

Only me who feel that way?

Anyone else that chose to disable Dawnguard?

Half of the NPC's in Windrun got killed by random vampire attacks. All in one attack. Was so annoying and since I dont really care for the whole vampire theme I decided to disable the dawnguard dlc.

Only me who feel that way?
The mod "When Vampires Attack" helps.

789shadow

Banned
Yeah, the Leeroy Jenkins AI taking over NPC's when vampires or dragons attack fucking sucks. It's best not to get Dawnguard until you feel confident you can knock it out, because finishing it stops vampire attacks.

Slermy

Edit #2: I'm an idiot, I forgot all the files were nicely laid out in the Data folder already, can just delete all those I *THINK* with no issues (All the plugin data files under the folders).

Yeah, you should be able to delete the plug-ins and the textures/meshes directories and you should be good to go.

JDdelphin

geez- this game never fails to impress. Something new every time even 400+ hours in- just ran across Cicero and his broken wagon trying to transport the nightmother.

is it even possible to see everything in the game?

curlycare

There are steam cards available for Skyrim if anyone's interested in them.
Might be the first badge I craft.

Edit:
geez- this game never fails to impress. Something new every time even 400+ hours in- just ran across Cicero and his broken wagon trying to transport the nightmother.

is it even possible to see everything in the game?
Yeah it's amazing to run across some place or character you haven't seen before, even after playing hundreds of hours.

There are steam cards available for Skyrim if anyone's interested in them.
Might be the first badge I craft.

Edit:
Yeah it's amazing to run across some place or character you haven't seen before, even after playing hundreds of hours.

Will be cool when I get back to my character...

After I finish cleaning out my backlog a little.

bro1

Banned
Why is this game so dark on PC? My HDTV is ISF calibrated and the blacks are crushed. I adjusted the HDMI feed from RGB to Ycbr and still it looks crushed. Any help?

CheekyLeek

Neo Member
I'm about 20 hours in and so far I'm getting sick of the linear dungeons. The answer to pretty much every mission I'm doing is at the end of one. Am I gonna carry on being disappointed or does it get better?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So when I enter the Dragonborn content, the water at times turns black and so does the sky by the earth stone. I also get weird recurring audio glitches. I verified my file integrity and it said 1 file needed to be redownloaded, but afterwards the same thing would occur. I deleted the entire game and redownloaded it, and I got the same problems in game and when I'd verify integrity. The base game never gave me these problems. I have no mods installed and have only used the windowed borderless mod in the past. Any ideas?

Slermy

I'm about 20 hours in and so far I'm getting sick of the linear dungeons. The answer to pretty much every mission I'm doing is at the end of one. Am I gonna carry on being disappointed or does it get better?

Most of the dungeons in the base game a pretty linear. The add-on content does a better job of it, particularly the Dwemer dungeons in Dragonborn.

So when I enter the Dragonborn content, the water at times turns black and so does the sky by the earth stone. I also get weird recurring audio glitches. I verified my file integrity and it said 1 file needed to be redownloaded, but afterwards the same thing would occur. I deleted the entire game and redownloaded it, and I got the same problems in game and when I'd verify integrity. The base game never gave me these problems. I have no mods installed and have only used the windowed borderless mod in the past. Any ideas?

What are the audio glitches? The black water seems like it might be a shader problem, but you said you deleted everything once already?

Loxley

I really wish Skyrim allowed multiple character slots :( I always get ideas for new characters to create but the saves always get buried among all of the auto-saves and quick-saves.

I really wish Skyrim allowed multiple character slots :( I always get ideas for new characters to create but the saves always get buried among all of the auto-saves and quick-saves.

There's only three autosaves and one quicksave. I usually keep 2 saves for every character I have, so it's pretty manageable.

But, yes, multiple character slots would be fantastic.

Top Bottom