• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

It has to be some underlying issue cause I"m getting 60fps almost everywhere on High with stock i5 2500.

I mean, I have a 6870, but I don't think your card would suffer that much compared to mine since this is a CPU heavy game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Same one and running 4.8 here. 4.5 should be easily attainable.

It has to be some underlying issue cause I"m getting 60fps almost everywhere on High with stock i5 2500.

I mean, I have a 6870, but I don't think your card would suffer that much compared to mine since this is a CPU heavy game.

As much as it shouldn't, the game makes bigger leaps when giving it more CPU power. It shouldn't work that way but it does.

Hey, I have v sync forced on in my card settings. Would turning it off effect performance in anyway? Like, would I get screen tearing, but a few extra frames?

Hylian7

Hey, I have v sync forced on in my card settings. Would turning it off effect performance in anyway? Like, would I get screen tearing, but a few extra frames?

You might get a few extra frames, but I think the real answer is to just use D3DOverrider for Vsync.

JohngPR

Personally, I got a lot of stuttering when I played without it, and forcing V-sync with triple buffering with D3DOverrider got rid of most of my stuttering problem. Not sure if that's common at all.

Radeon HD 5770 here.

I'm having a lot of issues reaching SkyrimNexus on my PC at home. It's not a problem at work & it's not a problem when I'm on my Mac at home, but my PC running Windows XP keeps flaking out. I'll have to refresh 5 times to get a page to load and even then it never completely loads. I doubt a different browser would help, NexusModManager fails to download files. No other website has this issue.

Has this happened to anybody else?

tborsje

Ugh, ENB is so good but it's pulling my fps all the way down to 18fps in towns now. This is with ambient occlusion turned off in the ini, and running skyboost r4.

I'm running a Core2Quad @ 3.6GHz and a GTX570. Even with ENB switched off, my fps hovers around 25 in a few towns too... Could someone with a similar system share their skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini?

klee123

Is anyone having a problem with the textures not loading properly? Sometimes when I play for a 30 or so minutes. The textures on character's clothes or even background become blue in colour.

So, I don't know if this should be in the modding thread or performance, but I just downloaded Skyboost r4. I'm getting a few more frames per second now, closer to 30 in places I was only getting 25. Unfortunately, I've been having this problem for a little while and r4 only kind of fixed it. Every time I move the camera, I get these stutters and drops in framerate. It's pretty obnoxious, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've tried turning off all of my mods and just running the game through the launcher. I'm using D3Doverrider with vsync and triple-buffering forced on, yet I still have these stutters. I get them less when I'm just facing forward and not moving the camera, but they do happen sometimes. I did not experience these problems before. I do have enb series and the injector running, but with SSAO off. I've tried it without these mods by toggling them off in-game.

Specs, if it's important:
i5 2400 3.10GHz quad-core
4 GB RAM
GTX 460 OC (it came factory overclocked, but I have no idea if I need to change anything with it for that to matter)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Is anyone having a problem with the textures not loading properly? Sometimes when I play for a 30 or so minutes. The textures on character's clothes or even background become blue in colour.

When I played in November/December this would happen just before the game would crash to desktop. After the blue goo texture showed up, a fast travel would kill the game.

I've only been playing briefly lately with mods, so I'm not sure if it still happens.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Skyboost r4 give me like 3 to 5 FPS ..not bad.

No problems here...are you using Skyrim HD 2K and clothes Retextured mod?

So, I don't know if this should be in the modding thread or performance, but I just downloaded Skyboost r4. I'm getting a few more frames per second now, closer to 30 in places I was only getting 25. Unfortunately, I've been having this problem for a little while and r4 only kind of fixed it. Every time I move the camera, I get these stutters and drops in framerate. It's pretty obnoxious, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've tried turning off all of my mods and just running the game through the launcher. I'm using D3Doverrider with vsync and triple-buffering forced on, yet I still have these stutters. I get them less when I'm just facing forward and not moving the camera, but they do happen sometimes. I did not experience these problems before. I do have enb series and the injector running, but with SSAO off. I've tried it without these mods by toggling them off in-game.

4 GB RAM
GTX 460 OC (it came factory overclocked, but I have no idea if I need to change anything with it for that to matter)

Use MSI Afterburner and see what your video memory usage is.

teh_pwn

Yeah, currently using some retexture mods.

I don't think that's the problem. I had the same exact blue goo texture problem with vanilla Skyrim.

My Specs:
i7 2600
8 GB system RAM
AMD 6950 2GB CFx2

If you suspect the textures just rename the skyrimDir/Data/. folders with an _ or something run the game and see if it reproduces.

If the problem is that there's a memory leak that builds up and manifests with missing textures at first before crash, then maybe the texture mods speed up the bug. But it could still be a memory leak independent of the textures that just shares the texture pool or it could be a race condition, or some crazy setting + hardware driver + ini config.

I'm loading up on mods with mod manager and I'll let you know if I see it again. Also switching to 12.1 preview driver because I had 11.2 installed for Batman AC and I don't think the 11.1c installer lets me downgrade.

Also, kudos to the people working on the mod manager. This is almost good enough to warrant purchasing it as a formal product. Bethesda should hire these guys and staff them with something polished.

mhayze

Anyone here with a 120hz monitor getting > 60fps in game? I love the effect in other games, but it doesn't always work. That and I'm not sure what frame rates I'd get with a 2600K / GTX 570 OC.

klee123

Have to say though. After playing Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and this on PC, Skyrim takes the cake as their most buggy game with NV being the second most buggiest.

It's like Bethesda QA process is getting worse and worse. WTF!

Kerub

Banned
Hello!

I'm trying to play Skyrim but I'm getting massive green/yellow-ish flickering in menus. Gameplay is fine but as soon as I open a menu the flickering is there, making the game unplayable.

I'm using a 5970 (dual gpu, crossfire issue?).

Anybody here had the same issue? Advice? Thanks in advance.

Hello!

I'm trying to play Skyrim but I'm getting massive green/yellow-ish flickering in menus. Gameplay is fine but as soon as I open a menu the flickering is there, making the game unplayable.

This is a crossfire issue, i get it too but learned to live with it as the solution to fix the problem is to turn off crossfire which REALLY affects performance for me. If you take the helmet off your character, you will see that his face is flashing colors too :(.

If you want to fix it, get Radeon Pro and under the Crossfire section move the slider from Driver default to Crossfire off, get ready for the drop though, i get half the normal framerate without crossfire.

teh_pwn

Hello!

Had the exact same issue. Don't give up on Crossfire, totally resolved without disabling it.

One of these fixed it:
1. ENB, though I increased the night brightness because it's not bright enough for my monitor's contrast accuracy.
NOTE - Be sure to set bFloatPointRenderTarget to 1 in your SkyrimPrefs.ini

2. 12.1 catalyst

3. Radeon Pro Crossfire settings in OP

4. ini settings in OP. Specifically starting:
"Skyrimprefs.ini

Change these settings. I found these in the Skyrim main folder under VeryHigh.ini, so ensure these are set appropriately:"

5. Skyboost r4.

Runs like butter with few exceptions on i7 2600 and 6950x2 and 2k textures.

NOTE: ENB fucks with your ini files, so back it up, install ENB, then update INI and back it up too. Use something like notepad++ and a diff tool to see what changes.

I'm impressed with how much better the game look sand runs since launch. Aside from slightly longer load times, it runs at a faster framerate and looks 3x better in many places. A few textures could be improved. Now I'm looking forward to creation mods and DLC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh I see, this is one of those games were performance tanks for seemingly no reason, and simply alt tabbing out and back in adds on 15+ frames.

Fuck I hate that. Far Cry 2 used to do it on my old build. It's explicitly linked to open world travel. The more time I spend outside in Skyrim, especially in the more densely packed forest areas, the worse performance becomes. I can even go into a tomb or something, then go back outside and performance will be worse. Yet the two (literal) seconds it takes to alt tab out of the game, then back in, significantly improves performance.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

teh_pwn

Oh I see, this is one of those games were performance tanks for seemingly no reason, and simply alt tabbing out and back in adds on 15+ frames.

Fuck I hate that. Far Cry 2 used to do it on my old build. It's explicitly linked to open world travel. The more time I spend outside in Skyrim, especially in the more densely packed forest areas, the worse performance becomes. I can even go into a tomb or something, then go back outside and performance will be worse. Yet the two (literal) seconds it takes to alt tab out of the game, then back in, significantly improves performance.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Why? Because Bethesda didn't prioritize PC optimization. Skyboost is just one example of low hanging fruit software optimizations with significant impact. Bethesda did end up patching in large address aware and they did make a ton of money off this so hopefully they'll task someone with patching a few more optimizations in the PC game along with Creation kit.

Piano

Banned
So what's the solution to the mouse spazzing out and getting choppy thing? I never had it until recently - maybe caused by a rogue mod?

Do I have to sacrifice v sync to get rid of it? I <3 v sync :(

How is everyones performance like around Riften?

Im using Skyboost and usually im getting 60fps but some times when I turn around the game stutters and then goes back to 60fps.

I am using alot of texture mods buy my system should be able to handle it.

Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
GTX 590
6GB RAM

Use MSI Afterburner and see what your video memory usage is.

Provided I'm doing this right, it appears to go up to 99% when I'm actually running the game.

I get less lag now that I've found out how to disable vsync in the skyrim.ini file (I guess you have to add something in there altogether). I don't think d3doverrider is working still. It never beeps when I start it up, and if I set it to anything above "low", it crashes to desktop on load. It still lags a bit when I'm turning the camera, but it's more manageable than it was before. Still wish I could get at least a locked 30 when turning the camera.

I was getting this odd problem with Skyrim recently. I nearly always get around 50 - 60 fps when in the open and always 60 indoors. But for some strange reason after I had been playing for 20 minutes or so the frame rate would suddenly drop to 20 or less, but only outdoors. I took out any mods I thought might be affecting this such as lighting mods but still the same. Then I remembered I had 8xAA in the game as I had used a different .ini than my own to get better performance. I turned it off and it was solved. What I don't understand is why was it okay for a few minutes then went to shit? Anyone able to explain?
My gpu is a GTX480, cpu Phenom II x4 955 and 8GB of 1333mhz DDR3.

Erethian

Wonder if those optimizations will stack with Skyboost or render it unnecessary.

If they do what's described in the patch notes and use the full optimisation flags targetting, say, SSE2, it should render Skyboost and TESVAL unnecessary. May even bring better performance than Skyboost because the optimisations are being done at compile time instead of being inserted into the code at run time with DLL injection.

There'd still be potential for further improvements, but they'd be very minor and take a lot of time to track down.

Love the witcher armor :D

tesv2012012016063301.jpg

Deepo

Ok, anyone else tried the 1.4 beta patch? Holy banana, that performance increase! Getting 60FPS stable at the top of the stairs in Whiterun, used to get around 45.

Edit: I see it's mentioned in the mod thread. But still, great to see the game finally running more like you'd expect!

Phandy

With the new patch I'm getting anywhere between 3 and 10 fps better than before.
Before being r4 version of skyboost. Its probably an easy 10-20fps increase over vanilla.

Shame on you Beth, think of what the game would of been like when I actually played the game the most!!!

I had it running once with the update, I think. But now it's not opening at all. Won't open through mod organizer, steam, or even just double clicking TESV.EXE. The last one gives me an error message about it failing to open.

EDIT: Never mind. I've got it working alright now. Had to take off the beta patch, let it do it's downloading thing, and then redo the whole process.

sgi02

Banned

4 GB RAM

I just upgraded from an ancient AMD rig to a shiny new i5 2500K based machine. Its been bliss... However, one of the main reasons I upgraded was simply for Skyrim and my experience has been absolutely awful for one reason and one reason only.... Stutter. My framerate is excellent, but with my new build I have experienced terrible stutter just about everywhere in the game. Ive spent days trying to smooth things out to no avail, and finally I came across this...

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2581

Its two files d3d9.dll and antilag.cfg. You just place them in your Skyrim folder and modify the antilag.cfg to your liking. There are some configuration options you can enter, but for reference my antilag.cfg file looks like this...

; D3D9 antilag config file
; by Kegetys <http://www.kegetys.net>

; RenderAheadLimit: Limit how many frames ahead are rendered to reduce input lag. 0 to disable.
; FPSlimit: Limit framerate for smoother gameplay and reduced cpu/gpu use. 0 to disable.

[config]
RenderAheadLimit=2
FPSlimit=55

A few lessons learned from the school of hard knocks are as follows...

* If your using any screen overlay / sysinfo programs that display FPS or system stats while playing the game DISABLE THEM!

* Use a driver cleaner and try a different driver revision. For me, using the ATI 11.10 Pre Skyrim drivers yielded the best performance / experience... Go figure.

* If all else fails you can try playing the game in a window. This also cured stuttering issues for me, but was sub optimal due to differences in game / desktop resolution.

For me personally, using the fix above with a little fine tuning made a night and day difference with how Skyrim performed. I am now running perfectly without stutter and back to enjoying the game! Best of luck!

System Specs For Reference :

i5 2500K @ 4.8GHZ
ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB 11.10 BF3 Preview Drivers
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Windows Vista Business x64 ( All Updates and latest DX installed.)
Skyrim is patched to the latest version with Skyboost R4

I just upgraded from an ancient AMD rig to a shiny new i5 2500K based machine. Its been bliss... However, one of the main reasons I upgraded was simply for Skyrim and my experience has been absolutely awful for one reason and one reason only.... Stutter. My framerate is excellent, but with my new build I have experienced terrible stutter just about everywhere in the game. Ive spent days trying to smooth things out to no avail, and finally I came across this...

Its two files d3d9.dll and antilag.cfg. You just place them in your Skyrim folder and modify the antilag.cfg to your liking. There are some configuration options you can enter, but for reference my antilag.cfg file looks like this...

* If your using any screen overlay / sysinfo programs that display FPS or system stats while playing the game DISABLE THEM!

* Use a driver cleaner and try a different driver revision. For me, using the ATI 11.10 Pre Skyrim drivers yielded the best performance / experience... Go figure.

* If all else fails you can try playing the game in a window. This also cured stuttering issues for me, but was sub optimal due to differences in game / desktop resolution.

For me personally, using the fix above with a little fine tuning made a night and day difference with how Skyrim performed. I am now running perfectly without stutter and back to enjoying the game! Best of luck!

i5 2500K @ 4.8GHZ
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Thanks! I just recently got rid of most of the stutter by forcing triple buffering in my card and using d3doverrider at the same time (Don't know why this works, and I think d3d might not even be working since I never hear it beep). I also had to force off vsync in the skyrim.ini file. I have a d3d9.dll in my skyrim folder from enb shaders. Would keeping that one and getting the lag fix file work? or do I need to replace the d3d9.dll?

i5 2500K @ 4.8GHZ
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz

You are having so much stutter because renderahead was caching extra frames and your videocard simply doesn't have enough VRAM. It is hitting the VRAM limit (512 MB is less than half of the absolute minimum [1 GB] I'd recommend for Skyrim) and streaming from system RAM/hard drive.

It is absolutely nuts to be running a 2500k with such an old, inadequate videocard. It is like having a Porsche 911 and driving around on the shittiest, cheapest economy tires you can buy. :\

Top Bottom