• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
huh..good news on the beta patch performance.

So the beta patch improves performance, huh? Good deal. Installed a GTX580 in my machine and was disappointed to find the framerate to be almost exactly the same as it was with my 5870. Is it really that CPU limited or just unoptimized? Using an i7-930 as the CPU.

You finally jumped to the green clan, congrats on your new GPU.

Wallach

The patch is night and day difference - absolutely smooth and it makes the game feel so much more responsive! Problem I'm having is after about 5 minutes the fps cuts in half and all the rocks etc start to glitch and dissapear/re-appear quickly making the fps fall to pieces.

Sounds like you might be having heat issues. Monitor temps and see what's up.

reektann

Sounds like you might be having heat issues. Monitor temps and see what's up.

It's only in one specific area it seems. Went elsewhere and it was dandy. Super impressive patch for me having not played for a month or so - feels absolutely silk even in heavy fog inside areas that were slightly sluggish before.

Unicorn

Do I have to manually install the beta patch or if I have automatic updates on Steam is it already up to date? Is there a way to check which version I'm currently at?

Erethian

Do I have to manually install the beta patch or if I have automatic updates on Steam is it already up to date? Is there a way to check which version I'm currently at?

Just need to follow the instructions in the Bethesda blog post. Sign up for the Skyrim beta in Steam settings, restart Steam, game will automatically update to the beta patch, backup your saves, and run the game normally.

You can find the version number on the in-game options screen.

S0N0S

GAF's not talking with me. :(

Make sure MipMap Detail is set High and Anistropic Filtering is set to 16x in your graphics control panel. Also, when launching Skyrim via Steam, open Data Files, and select Load Loose Files. Those should solve your problems if all you installed was a simple texture pack. Also, check your settings in the Skyrim launcher to make sure they're set as-desired.

Does anyone know if the patch fixes the problems with CTDs?

Yes, some specific CTDs have been fixed, additionally, it could offer further CTDs fixes due to the new memory and compiler optimizations. Changelog

Dynamic3

I can't see your image, but I know what you're talking about. That is simply how the shadows look when being cast over surfaces at certain angles. The disappearing to one side is when you reach the first or second draw distance point. There is typically a higher res shadow close up, and a lower res one for a bit further away, depending on your settings. Everyone is getting this - both 'problems' can only be reduced (by increasing shadow resolution and distance), not removed.

I'm referring more to the striping of the shadows as opposed to the stepping on the edges (which I also get a ton of), I think I fixed the pic though:

See the rock where my crosshair is? Really weird shadowing that I sometimes see on en entire rock wall. I didn't know if maybe it was because I was using ambient occ via nvidia control panel or because I'm using both FXAA and transparency AA (in ncc), or a combination of.

TESV%202012-01-23%2020-49-31-53.bmp

The patch has been great for me, but after about an hour of playing I started to get a lot of audio buzzing and stuttering. It didn't seem to affect the frame rate, just causing an audio buzzing every minute or two. Is this happening to anyone else?

gblues

Banned
The patch has been great for me, but after about an hour of playing I started to get a lot of audio buzzing and stuttering. It didn't seem to affect the frame rate, just causing an audio buzzing every minute or two. Is this happening to anyone else?

Yeah. I've noticed audio issues, particularly when switching to the loading screen. Sounds like some background sound effect suddenly went to full volume for a split second.

Thrakier

I'm referring more to the striping of the shadows as opposed to the stepping on the edges (which I also get a ton of), I think I fixed the pic though:

See the rock where my crosshair is? Really weird shadowing that I sometimes see on en entire rock wall. I didn't know if maybe it was because I was using ambient occ via nvidia control panel or because I'm using both FXAA and transparency AA (in ncc), or a combination of.

TESV%202012-01-23%2020-49-31-53.bmp

Wait, looking at the shield...that is the normal texture quality in the game, yes?

Yeah. I've noticed audio issues, particularly when switching to the loading screen. Sounds like some background sound effect suddenly went to full volume for a split second.

Yeah I've noticed that one as well - almost like you're suddenly in a roaring waterfall, and then it's instantly gone. I almost jumped out of my seat the first time I heard it while wearing headphones.

hauton

Vanilla Ultra on

i5 750 @ approx. 3.2GHz - running on stock cooling so I really can't dial this up much
HD 5850 @ 850/1175
4GB RAM

just squeaking by with 30fps :/

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Wallach

Vanilla Ultra on

i5 750 @ approx. 3.2GHz - running on stock cooling so I really can't dial this up much
HD 5850 @ 850/1175
4GB RAM

just squeaking by with 30fps :/

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Are you on the 1.4 beta patch? Opt into the beta and get it if not, because it is a ridiculous performance boost.

Either way it sounds low to me, but I do recall that vanilla Ultra setting has like 8xMSAA at least, so you might want to dial that down to like 4x first.

For reference, I have a very similar setup to you:

i5-750 @ 3.6GHz
HD 5850 @ 800/1050 (12.1 preview drivers)
8GB RAM

And with the 1.4 patch, I generally get 60 FPS on stock Ultra w/ 4xMSAA. There are a few locations where it will dip into the 40s; I prefer to set the shadow quality to High rather than Ultra and then it stays 60 FPS everywhere.

New Script Dragon with support for the patch is up:

http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/?category=other&altname=skyrim_script_dragon

Gonna give it a go now and make sure everything's still in working order. That patch was too amazing to pass up but I need my mods working right, too.

EDIT: Works like a charm, all the mods that needed Script Dragon are fully working and the patch is making my framerate considerably better even on my middle of the road laptop. Good job Bethesda, really good job.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
i'm getting the ridiculously loud "waterfall" noise almost everytime i open my map and sometimes during loading screens. seems to be a pretty common problem. i'm sure it'll get fixed.

i'm getting the ridiculously loud "waterfall" noise almost everytime i open my map and sometimes during loading screens. seems to be a pretty common problem. i'm sure it'll get fixed.

Along with the frequent crashes, I'm getting this.

Hopefully the full patch will be more stable.

Shambles

Just installed the patch.

Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz, 4870 512mb. Most settings on high, viewing distances maxxed.

Overlooking whiterun from dragonreach I went from 34 to 46 fps. NICE

No, it's the same issue. It has nothing to do with AA, it's just the way shadows work in this game.

It's possible to have this across entire city walls, if the sun is at the most awkward position.

Speevy

Banned
Running Intel HD Graphics 3000 on an i3 2330 processor and 4 GB RAM the patch is a decent boost

I was getting 25-30 in most areas but now I range 27-44 or so. I wish I could lock the game at 25 FPS though.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Running Intel HD Graphics 3000 on an i3 2330 processor and 4 GB RAM the patch is a decent boost

I was getting 25-30 in most areas but now I range 27-44 or so. I wish I could lock the game at 25 FPS though.

You can try Dxtory and lock the framerate to 30.

Erethian

Along with the frequent crashes, I'm getting this.

Hopefully the full patch will be more stable.

Are you using any mods? People have been getting crashes as a result of various SKSE plugins, like the container categorisation plugin.

So far as the sound issue goes, Bethesda are already working to have that fixed in the final release of the patch. They had a new section setup on the official forums for feedback on the beta patch, and have been monitoring that for issues.

Are you using any mods? People have been getting crashes as a result of various SKSE plugins, like the container categorisation plugin.

So far as the sound issue goes, Bethesda are already working to have that fixed in the final release of the patch. They had a new section setup on the official forums for feedback on the beta patch, and have been monitoring that for issues.

Good to hear, thanks for the heads up.

I'm gettin' tired of these CTDs. I have 4 today alone and I just lost 10 minutes of progress in a hard cave. I never had them for the longest time and suddenly they appear when your save gets too big. I've actually managed to reduce my file size a little but it feels as problematic as ever. They're the motherfucking bane of PC games; fix this shit.

SaintR

Sorry for the question since it looks like its a common thing, but what is script dragon, I know what skse since I have several mods that use it but I havent heard of script dragon

Yeah I figured it was one of my mods, not sure which one, I'll try adjusting things.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Why do ultra shadows take such a big performance hit? On high they look the same and performance is much better...

Steam just downloaded an updated beta patch for me (1.4.20.0.4). Hopefully nothing brokeded. I wish I could tell it not to download that damn Bethesda intro video every time. I know who made this game!

andylsun

Update 1/26: A new version of the Beta Update (1.4.20) is now live on Steam. It addresses the following:

Fixed occasional audio issue that would play sound effects louder than intended
Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian
Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly
Fixed issue where player would be unable to become Thane of Riften if they purchased a home first

http://www.bethblog.com/

After installing the beta patch the amount of crashes have increased for anyone?

Haven't installed the patch since im waiting for the official release, but just curious to know if i should upgrade since at this point i value stability more than anything.

Top Bottom