• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

I'll definitely try the HD texture pack out, but I'm pretty satisfied with them as is. The only thing I'd really want is better textures on the weapons.

You try isoku's mod or are you referring to something more specific?

Unfortunately, in its current state not all assets reflect in water. This gets even more visible with the mod you mentioned. Take this screen taken from the mod description:

711-1-1324349474.jpg
The dock, the boat, not even the walls are reflecting. I'm wondering, is that stuff you can fix with the CE? Like, is it just a toggleable attribute?

Posted this earlier in the Skyrim thread and realized this might a more appropriate thread.

I've started playing on the PC noticed there is a slight input lag in 3rd person view . It takes a split second register a movement and it's the same when press attack or block on the mouse. The movement is silky smooth at 60 fps and no lag with mouselook.

The movement and combat lag is gone when i switch to 1st person and controls seem much more responsive. I've got a quad core 3gb process and a gtx 480 with 8gb ram, so I don't think system is the problem.

Anyone else have the same issue.

goodfella

Posted this earlier in the Skyrim thread and realized this might a more appropriate thread.

I've started playing on the PC noticed there is a slight input lag in 3rd person view . It takes a split second register a movement and it's the same when press attack or block on the mouse. The movement is silky smooth at 60 fps and no lag with mouselook.

The movement and combat lag is gone when i switch to 1st person and controls seem much more responsive. I've got a quad core 3gb process and a gtx 480 with 8gb ram, so I don't think system is the problem.

Anyone else have the same issue.

That's just the way the animation works I think.

NBtoaster

Unfortunately, in its current state not all assets reflect in water. This gets even more visible with the mod you mentioned. Take this screen taken from the mod description:

http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/images/711-1-1324349474.jpg[IMG].
The dock, the boat, not even the walls are reflecting. I'm wondering, is that stuff you can fix with the CE? Like, is it just a toggleable attribute?[/QUOTE]

I thinks it's LOD related, not something that can be toggled on objects.

I was thinking it might be possible to mod in Fallout 3's water shader, which reflected everything, though of course I have no idea how to go about that.

The OP should be updated with newer uGrids downgrade instructions, as those instructions caused me a couple hours of grief the past day. saveini doesnt do what it used to, and those instructions now seem to make every single save you have crash to desktop on load.

Instead you now just need to load save, alt-tab to skyrim.ini in textpad, alter the ugrids, save skyrim.ini, and then "refreshini" in the console, then save.

p2535748

This seems like the right place to ask if anyone else has encountered this.

When I'm in caves walking along, the screen will sometimes flicker and it will be like I'm momentarily swimming (I get the swimming sound, the screen flickers with the "underwater" filter, and most annoyingly I automatically lower my weapons). It's been fairly rare, but now I'm in a huge underground area (
Blackreach
), and it's happening all the time.

Strangely, I actually switched computers in the middle of this playthrough, and the bug has persisted. Both computers have Radeon graphics, though, so it might have something to do with that. I tried searching but came up empty on google, and was hoping someone else here might have encountered and solved this issue.

Haven't played for a few week steam keeps saying patch 1.3.10.us not surpported yet wont let me update dispite deleting local content files and starting from fresh it still goes back to the same version and wont let me update to 1.4.

Any ideas, I've gone back to release state and not allowed patches but would like recent version if it will let me.

Thread seems dead, yet i'll ask anyway. :)

After the official Bethesda texture patch im experiencing stuttering. What i need to know if it's due to the Vram getting filled up (1GB in my case) or due to my hard drive being slow. So is there a way to monitor vram usage or at least does anyone know more or less how much vram is used with the HD pack at 1920*1200 plus 4X antialias?

Will going to 2x antialias help somewhat?

didamangi

Thread seems dead, yet i'll ask anyway. :)

After the official Bethesda texture patch im experiencing stuttering. What i need to know if it's due to the Vram getting filled up (1GB in my case) or due to my hard drive being slow. So is there a way to monitor vram usage or at least does anyone know more or less how much vram is used with the HD pack at 1920*1200 plus 4X antialias?

Will going to 2x antialias help somewhat?

MSI afterburner can show your vram usage. I use 2xAA and the hires pack at 1680x1050 and vram usage is around 960mb.

So at 1920x1200 I guess it will be greater than 1gb even with 2x AA.

Kunohara

So I've noticed while playing that it seems like I still get tearing on my screen despite forcing vsync off from nvidia inspector, and using d3doverrider for vsync and triple buffering. Is there something I'm missing? Does the game enable triple buffering by itself? and having that, plus d3d going can mess it up?

MSI afterburner can show your vram usage. I use 2xAA and the hires pack at 1680x1050 and vram usage is around 960mb.

So at 1920x1200 I guess it will be greater than 1gb even with 2x AA.
Thank you so much for answering didamangi. In that case i'll just disable the texture packs, so i just need to uncheck them in the data option of the launcher.

What-s the afterburner option to watch the vram usage and does it created a log file of the GPU activity?

holy shit. I'd buy this game a million times if that somehow gets onto at least the PC version.

didamangi

Thank you so much for answering didamangi. In that case i'll just disable the texture packs, so i just need to uncheck them in the data option of the launcher.

What-s the afterburner option to watch the vram usage and does it created a log file of the GPU activity?

In afterburner go to settings > monitoring. Check memory usage and it will be displayed on the hardware monitor graphs. You can even enable it in OSD to check it realtime while playing skyrim.

pilonv1

This seems like the right place to ask if anyone else has encountered this.

When I'm in caves walking along, the screen will sometimes flicker and it will be like I'm momentarily swimming (I get the swimming sound, the screen flickers with the "underwater" filter, and most annoyingly I automatically lower my weapons). It's been fairly rare, but now I'm in a huge underground area (
Blackreach
), and it's happening all the time.

Strangely, I actually switched computers in the middle of this playthrough, and the bug has persisted. Both computers have Radeon graphics, though, so it might have something to do with that. I tried searching but came up empty on google, and was hoping someone else here might have encountered and solved this issue.

Have you got vsync or a frame limiter on? I had the same issue when vsync was off.

Mashing

I had that exact same issue. It stopped when I turned Vsync on. I think it happens when your FPS gets too high. See the mod thread for more information. There was someone who posted a link to D3D antilag that supposedly fixes this, but I'm happy with locked 60fps (instead of 80-90 fluctuating to over 130).

Kunohara

I had that exact same issue. It stopped when I turned Vsync on. I think it happens when your FPS gets too high. See the mod thread for more information. There was someone who posted a link to D3D antilag that supposedly fixes this, but I'm happy with locked 60fps (instead of 80-90 fluctuating to over 130).

I have this same issue, and I've enabled d3doverrider. How do I check if vsync is turned off in the game, but enabled in d3d?

Gaaraz

Trying to rescue someone at the moment peacefully, but there's no way at all to reason with the guard, not even a dialogue option that fails. So I sneak to the back of the camp, past another guard and through the door - suddenly 5 guys rush me, I quickly die and am thrown back around 30 minutes previous. Very frustrating.

1) why in the quest dialog does it suggest I can do it peacefully yet it gives me no way of doing so?
2) checkpoints!?!?

Ty Gaf

Xdrive05

Is there a list of hex codes for the different spell effects? I'm having a "smoke glitch" where smoke is shooting out of my character's feet. I need to find the right hex code for this effect so I can remove it. None of the ones listed here are the one I'm having:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim_talk:Glitches#Smoke_Glitch

Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: Link HERE to the solution. A little trial and error involved, but this is the thing to do. Mine ended up being the Ice Wraith smoke effect.

Trying to rescue someone at the moment peacefully, but there's no way at all to reason with the guard, not even a dialogue option that fails. So I sneak to the back of the camp, past another guard and through the door - suddenly 5 guys rush me, I quickly die and am thrown back around 30 minutes previous. Very frustrating.

1) why in the quest dialog does it suggest I can do it peacefully yet it gives me no way of doing so?
2) checkpoints!?!?

Ty Gaf

Well who is holding this prisoner? Maybe if you get in good with this faction and look like you are one of them they will treat you differently.

Has anyone noticed a massive hit in fps after installing the hi res pack? I dled the pack for my 560ti, everything was running great, up to 60fps then I did the Mythic Dawn museum quest and now after going into the dungeon my fps are in the teens.

Unicorn

I tried making a new character just now, and during the opening when you're kneeling down and the dragon is supposed to swoop down and save you, well, I'm there looking up at the executioner, the dragon flies in over the distant mountains, but never lands on the tower behind the executioner. It just flies around, sometimes rumbling the ground. The executioner stands there, not giving a single fuck. It was funny at first, but I reloaded the quicksave after the character editor 3x now and it still gets caught in that scripting.

I don't know what to do. I kinda don't want to have to make my character again.

This happen to anyone else?

Has anyone noticed a massive hit in fps after installing the hi res pack? I dled the pack for my 560ti, everything was running great, up to 60fps then I did the Mythic Dawn museum quest and now after going into the dungeon my fps are in the teens.
How many vram you have? Even if you have no extra mods installed playing at 1920*1200 ups the requirements over 1GB depending on the situation, how much AA is used and shadow resolution.

Honestly, the Bethesda texture pack looks better but sometimes is hard to notice the differences.

PowerK

Those of you with ini tweaks and having performance issues indoors, drop iShadowmapResolution to 4096 (which is Ultra's default). Setting this to 8192 occasionally drops fps severely indoors. There are areas that absolutely crippled performance. I think this is the engine issue. (Perhaps driver, I don't know). 4096 is fine though.

As for the official high resolution texture pack, the improvement/difference is very noticeable on my setup (2560x1600 resolution). Love it.

Oh my lord, I need like 90% of the things in that video like now. So awesome.

EDIT: Oh wow, just got member status with this post. Yay me. XD

In afterburner go to settings > monitoring. Check memory usage and it will be displayed on the hardware monitor graphs. You can even enable it in OSD to check it realtime while playing skyrim.

May I ask what version of Afterburner you have, I have checked and the option to show vram/memory usage is not there at all. (I have the latest version)

I too would like to know how to show vram since I getting stuttering since the latest update as well.

May I ask what version of Afterburner you have, I have checked and the option to show vram/memory usage is not there at all. (I have the latest version)

I too would like to know how to show vram since I getting stuttering since the latest update as well.
Seconded, i thought i didn't have the option due to my version not being the latest one. But since Garrus has the same problem maybe didamngi could explain a bit better.

WOW. I thought the hires texture pack was making my card overheat, but it turns out it was dust. After I cleaned my computer my temps dropped 30 degrees in game!

How many vram you have? Even if you have no extra mods installed playing at 1920*1200 ups the requirements over 1GB depending on the situation, how much AA is used and shadow resolution.

Honestly, the Bethesda texture pack looks better but sometimes is hard to notice the differences.

1GB VRAM @ 1680 x 1050, everything maxed 4x MSAA

WOW. I thought the hires texture pack was making my card overheat, but it turns out it was dust. After I cleaned my computer my temps dropped 30 degrees in game!

OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have these ultra fine mesh filters to stop the dust from getting in my water cooler for my CPU and they looked clean, however my CPU was over heating, so I took them off and cleaned them and you would not believe how much dust came out of them... My CPU at idle dropped 12 degrees!!!! At load, 25 degrees! I thought my CPU was faulty or something but my filters were clogged... WHOLLY SHIT!!!

At least I know my filters are working.

Anyone else experiencing Skyrim shutting down after 5-10 minutes of gameplay?

I have had this problem a lot in the past, I will try and help you resolve it. Add me to Steam - 'ColonialRaptor'.

What is your uGrid setting on?

teiresias

Ugh, trying to tweak TES games is why I hardly ever actually PLAY them!!

So, I just bought this and have read through most of the OP, but I'm still having trouble finding a happy medium for the shadows setting on my rig. It is as follows:

i7-870 OC@4.0GHz
GTX460 SLI (not overclocked)
8GB RAM

I'm playing on my plasma TV which does a pretty good job of "naturally" giving me anti-aliasing, so I keep that pretty low (4xAA, FXAA enabled, though I haven't setup any transparency AA, not sure how big a hit that would be on my rig). I'm NOT using the Bethesda HD texture pack, since my GTX460s are only 1GB and I was hitting the ceiling pretty easily in even the intro dungeon while following Ralof (or whatever his name is) out.

In any event, it seems setting shadowmapresolution=4096 kills my fps by ~10fps, so I'm trying to tweak with 2048, and combining the blurdeferred and other maskquarter settings I can get most of the world shadows looking ok staying around 60fps (+/-5fps usually), but I'm still shooting in the dark for the shadow distances.

More annoyingly, the shadows thrown on my character's face by things like the Imperial Helmet she's wearing are absolutely horrendous. I probably should just be resolved to never looking at her in third person, but I'm wondering if there's something obvious I'm missing to fix those shadows or are they affected by the same general shadow settings? I'm unclear on that.

Any suggestions?

It is as follows:

i7-870 OC@4.0GHz
GTX460 SLI (not overclocked)
8GB RAM

I'm playing on my plasma TV which does a pretty good job of "naturally" giving me anti-aliasing, so I keep that pretty low (4xAA, FXAA enabled, though I haven't setup any transparency AA, not sure how big a hit that would be on my rig). I'm NOT using the Bethesda HD texture pack, since my GTX460s are only 1GB and I was hitting the ceiling pretty easily in even the intro dungeon while following Ralof (or whatever his name is) out.

In any event, it seems setting shadowmapresolution=4096 kills my fps by ~10fps, so I'm trying to tweak with 2048, and combining the blurdeferred and other maskquarter settings I can get most of the world shadows looking ok staying around 60fps (+/-5fps usually), but I'm still shooting in the dark for the shadow distances.

Any suggestions?
Only way to get acceptable shadows is to set them at iShadowMapResolution=4096. Pretty smooth ones, self shadowing becomes more digestable too.

fShadowDistance=4000.0000
It's the best compromise between quality and distance, anything under draws the shadows to near so you see them fading in. Over the 4000 value gives even more jagged shadows.

As for the rest:
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1

Disable FXAA, try MSAA at 2x then monitor you vram usage, maybe you can trade of a bit of IQ for far better shadows. Interiors shadows at 4096 get quite pretty and the banding while there in some places is less hard on the eyes.

teiresias

Only way to get acceptable shadows is to set them at iShadowMapResolution=4096. Pretty smooth ones, self shadowing becomes more digestable too.

fShadowDistance=4000.0000
It's the best compromise between quality and distance, anything under draws the shadows to near so you see them fading in. Over the 4000 value gives even more jagged shadows.

As for the rest:
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1

Disable FXAA, try MSAA at 2x then monitor you vram usage, maybe you can trade of a bit of IQ for far better shadows. Interiors shadows at 4096 get quite pretty and the banding while there in some places is less hard on the eyes.

Yeah, but if the shadows are calculated completely using the CPU (as is my understanding), how is trading off FXAA or another AA method (which are all done on the GPU, again, as far as I know), going to buy one anything with the shadows.

I'm actually able to run 8xCSAA via Nvidia Inspector and FXAA without any real noticeable FPS trade-off. I probably can turn off FXAA and not notice it too much, since, as I said, the plasma doesn't have as hard an edge to its pixels as an LCD monitor tends to, so it gives sort of a free "vaselin" so to speak.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, but if the shadows are calculated completely using the CPU (as is my understanding),

I don't know a damn thing when it comes to this stuff, but I've seen people debate this numerous times. I think the consensus is that if the CPU were really doing the shadows itself, the game would run at 2 fps.

Top Bottom