• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

After installing the beta patch the amount of crashes have increased for anyone?

Haven't installed the patch since im waiting for the official release, but just curious to know if i should upgrade since at this point i value stability more than anything.

Personally the patch has resulted in the following for me:

1. Greatly increased FPS and reduced stuttering
2. Weird audio glitches (buzzing/loud waterfall sound on some map changes - though after the second beta patch this hasn't happened so it may be resolved).
3. No crashes (but I wasn't having any beforehand)

Personally the patch has resulted in the following for me:

1. Greatly increased FPS and reduced stuttering
2. Weird audio glitches (buzzing/loud waterfall sound on some map changes - though after the second beta patch this hasn't happened so it may be resolved).
3. No crashes (but I wasn't having any beforehand)
Thanks for the impressions clever. Yes, i think the sound issues were addressed in the second update notes. Bethesda said at the end of the month so just a few days away for the official release i guess.

Dynamic3

They'll both function together but note that multisampling transparency AA causes problems on Skyrim. Try 2xSSAA transparency AA instead. And turn off FXAA because it's shit.

What problems? I currently have 4x AA (which I believe is MSAA) and FXAA clicked in the Skyrim settings, and 2x SSAA set in the Nvidia cc.

What problems? I currently have 4x AA (which I believe is MSAA) and FXAA clicked in the Skyrim settings, and 2x SSAA set in the Nvidia cc.

4 x MSAA is fine. It applies to geometry (and possibly other things?).

But multisample transparency AA is a different thing entirely and applies to things like foliage. However it actually causes some objects to become semi-transparent in Skyrim.

To use 2xSSAA transparency AA, you may need to get Nvidia Inspector which is a must of you're an Nvidia card owner.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The latest beta patch works great for me. I haven't had a single CTD and performance is great as well.
*now using ultra shadows as well :)

oneils

Anyone here know of a decent save game manager or character profile manager mod? I've looked at a few but on TES nexus, but the comments posted by users don't exactly fill me with confidence.

Speevy

Banned
I was wondering if someone could recommend some surefire tweaks that would improve the performance of the game on my system. I've been changing stuff but more often than not I just end up making no difference at all or screwing up something important.

Here's how I'm running the game.

1280x720
AA: off
AF: Off
Textures: High
Radial blur: Lowest
Water reflections/effects: off
Distant object detail: Low

Skyrim.ini and Skyrimprefs.ini are both back to their default states, no changes made.

Fade is pretty much set to random numbers about midway down, since I've been unable to pinpoint a definite fade value that makes the framerate that much greater. I can get mostly similar performance from maxing these out compared to turning them all the way down. Dunno why that is.

The framerate ranges between 25-30 FPS in most places, with occasional dips when I enter new areas. Certain areas like Whiterun and Winterhold get over 40 FPS. The problem is how it fluctuates. I want it more consistent.

Now, here's what I'm running

i3 2330M 2.2 Ghz CPU
Intel HD Graphics 3000 1696 shared memory, which can use fairly high amounts of graphics memory depending on the game
4 GB DDR3 RAM

If anyone has any .ini tweaks that would for sure create a more stable experience, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm certainly not minding the experience, but I know that if was aware of what to change, I could make it just a little smoother.

So just tweaks, mods, anything you can think of.

I'm running 1.4 beta so that invalidates Skyboost.

aasoncott

Steam just downloaded an updated beta patch for me (1.4.20.0.4). Hopefully nothing brokeded. I wish I could tell it not to download that damn Bethesda intro video every time. I know who made this game!

Okay, super weird question. When I start Skyrim, it goes straight to the main menu. No logos, no intro videos, nothing. I bought it from Steam, and it's always been this way. I remember starting it for the first time, having it go straight to the main menu, and thinking "Ooo, that's classy! Well done, Bethesda."

... but there are intro videos? Why have they never played? Is this normal? Regardless, best bug ever.

There is just one intro 'video', which is the Bethesda logo, and it lasts about 5 seconds. Not sure why you don't see it, but you're not missing much.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I occasionally encounter two glitches:

1. Sometimes if I have to follow someone as part of a quest, after they walk for a while, they'll just stand there as if waiting for something. The first time it happened I did the force shout on the person. Then they got up and continued walking lol. The second time I just left & re-entered the room and they continued as normal.

2. Sometimes my walking/running speed will become very slow, as if I'm over-incumbered. I just quit back to the main menu and reload, then everything's fine.

Both happen rarely and are very minor, so hopefully they'll be fixed by the time the patch gets released as a non-beta.

In what ways can I improve Skyrim even more graphically, considering I have max settings. I have Liquid's ini so the distances of objects/people/enemies has already been drastically increased. With the increased performance from the patches, I want to get some more graphically out of the game.

Any ideas?

inner-G

Banned
In what ways can I improve Skyrim even more graphically, considering I have max settings. I have Liquid's ini so the distances of objects/people/enemies has already been drastically increased. With the increased performance from the patches, I want to get some more graphically out of the game.

Any ideas?

Force Ambient Occlusion thru the nvidia control panel.

jimmy5150

The latest beta patch works great for me. I haven't had a single CTD and performance is great as well.
*now using ultra shadows as well :)

Really glad to hear all these positive things about the beta. I was really reluctant to get it since, you know, the flying dragons incident. Guess I'll opt-in to the beta and try it out when I get home!

PowerK

I have an ATI card...

@ PowerK. I have my Ugrids at 7, what settings do I use for 11? Will it make the game unstable?

Hmm.. I've never tried 7.  I went straight from default 5 to 11.
Yes, 11 does bring performance hit.  But I still get over 30 minimum fps. (in-game MSAA & FXAA disabled.  I use SMAA injector)
I think some of Skyrim tweak guides (including the one at Geforce.com) stating ugridstoload higher than 7 being buggy/unstable were written prior to official LAA patch.  Played couple of hours over the weekend with ugridstoload at 11.  Seemed fine.
Below is what I use.
uGridsToLoad=11
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

EDIT : Do not forget to backup your saves before fiddling around with ugridstoload.

PowerK

I'm stupid. I don't understand the value. Isn't that 262 MB. What's the default value for vanilla Skyrim?

From TweakGuides
iPreloadSizeLimit=26214400 - This setting appears to determine the maximum amount (in bytes) of RAM allowed for preloading game data. The higher the value, the more chance you have of reducing stuttering. The default value equates to around 25MB (divide the setting by 1024 to get KB, then by 1024 again to get MB). For those with 1GB of system RAM, try doubling the variable to 52428800. For those with 2GB, try double again at 104857600 (100MB). You can raise these values even further to experiment, however note that raising this to a large amount doesn't force all the game data to sit in RAM, and can actually cause crashes. I suggest the maximum anyone should set this to should be around 262144000 (250MB), even for 2GB of RAM. Make sure to raise your Cell Buffer values accordingly (see above).

From TweakGuides
But is that the case with Skyrim? I searched for the for the iPreloadSizeLimit variable in the Skyrim tweak guide and the author didn't mention it.

What's your experience with it, does it make any difference?

Im planing to use Ugrid=7 should i set iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000?

Yes, 11 does bring performance hit.  But I still get over 30 minimum fps. (in-game MSAA & FXAA disabled.  I use SMAA injector)
I think some of Skyrim tweak guides (including the one at Geforce.com) stating ugridstoload higher than 7 being buggy/unstable were written prior to official LAA patch.  Played couple of hours over the weekend with ugridstoload at 11.  Seemed fine.
Below is what I use.
uGridsToLoad=11
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

EDIT : Do not forget to backup your saves before fiddling around with ugridstoload.

So I tried it out (ugrids at 11), and to be honest I'm not seeing any difference, except that it reduced my FPS by about 5-10...

PowerK

But is that the case with Skyrim? I searched for the for the iPreloadSizeLimit variable in the Skyrim tweak guide and the author didn't mention it.

What's your experience with it, does it make any difference?

Im planing to use Ugrid=7 should i set iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000?
It's my understanding that Skyrim's Creation Engine is based on Oblivion's Gamebryo. They seem to share many cvars and characteristics. As suggested by TweakGuides, I simply tried the maximum suggested value of iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000. As for the uGridstoLoad at 7 and corresponding iPreloadSizeLimit (if there is one), I'm not sure.

So I tried it out (ugrids at 11), and to be honest I'm not seeing any difference, except that it reduced my FPS by about 5-10...
So there's no noticeable difference between 7 and 11 ?
I saw a quite a difference when I moved from the default 5 to 11. Perhaps, I should try 7.

EDIT : Ah, I've just found an comparision GIF. Check it out.
http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US...yrim-tweak-guide/Skyrim-Ugrids-Comparison.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does adjusting uGrid still corrupt save games?

I have a quad core i5 2.7 with a 6850 running the game at 1280x720 (on my TV).

I get great frame rate with everything maxed pre-beta patch. I'd really like to try out the uGrid stuff, but it terrifies me that I may get a corrupt save.

So there's no noticeable difference between 7 and 11 ?
I saw a quite a difference when I moved from the default 5 to 11. Perhaps, I should try 7.

EDIT : Ah, I've just found an comparision GIF. Check it out.
http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US...yrim-tweak-guide/Skyrim-Ugrids-Comparison.gif

Wow, that is quite noticeable. I'm going to go test it out now.

Edit: Alright, it does work. Though it's mainly for distant rock detail, unfortunately it doesn't increase the grass detail, which is what I'm after. Still, I might play it with uGrids 11 from now on.

Heres 5 vs 7. This is one of the famous eye sores of the game. I thinks its quite decent know.

tesv_2012_01_31_16_41bxjjr.jpg

tesv_2012_01_31_16_48khozu.jpg

Just look at the windmill and house models, at 5 the windmill at that distance doesnt even have the propeller. But zaps some frames tough.

PowerK

Wow, that is quite noticeable. I'm going to go test it out now.

Edit: Alright, it does work. Though it's mainly for distant rock detail, unfortunately it doesn't increase the grass detail, which is what I'm after. Still, I might play it with uGrids 11 from now on.

For grass, I'm using something like..
fGrassStartFadeDistance=20000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=20000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=10000.0000
I can't remember off the top of my head. (I'm at work).

For grass, I'm using something like..
fGrassStartFadeDistance=20000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=20000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=10000.0000
I can't remember off the top of my head. (I'm at work).

Yeah, I already have those tweaked settings. I wonder if I could increase it further?

uGrids 11 definitely makes it more unstable, had 3 crashes in the space of 10 minutes, whereas haven't had a crash for like 30 hours on uGrids 7. I'm going back to 7.

uGrids 11 definitely makes it more unstable, had 3 crashes in the space of 10 minutes, whereas haven't had a crash for like 30 hours on uGrids 7. I'm going back to 7.

Did you bump your preload to 250MB? That's what seemed to give me issues when I bumped up to uGrids 11. Took it back down to 100MB and stopped having crashes.

Did you bump your preload to 250MB? That's what seemed to give me issues when I bumped up to uGrids 11. Took it back down to 100MB and stopped having crashes.

uGrids 11 and ENB takes my outdoors to 30ish fps, with dips, on my 6970m, but it looks sooo goood to turn back.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can someone put the translations txt from the interface folder up for download somewhere? I wanted to delete all my mods to see how this patch is with the vanilla game etc and I thought it's part of SkyUI but I guess that was the one file I should have kept in there... Verifying integrity didn't cause Steam to redownload it either...

Seems the patch is out. I have the .ini set to read only, does the patcher modifies these files, so do i have to set them to allow writing?

Nymerio

Can someone put the translations txt from the interface folder up for download somewhere? I wanted to delete all my mods to see how this patch is with the vanilla game etc and I thought it's part of SkyUI but I guess that was the one file I should have kept in there... Verifying integrity didn't cause Steam to redownload it either...

You can just verify your game cache, Steam will download the missing file.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone please answer:

Is there still a problem where if you adjust uGrids and save the game, then try to load the adjusted uGrid save game with a lower uGrid, it corrupts the save game?

Can someone please answer:

Is there still a problem where if you adjust uGrids and save the game, then try to load the adjusted uGrid save game with a lower uGrid, it corrupts the save game?
I think it does not corrupt it but it doesn't load. Ugrid should be equal or lower for the safe to load.

The game updated. Is it the new patch? Does anyone one know if i should set the .ini to writing?

Tell me more. I've had a lot of crashes and I've had ugrids at 7 for the whole game.

This really needs to be at the very forefront of the OP's uGrids section.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32733748&postcount=3024

Always make uGrids an odd number.Change interiorcellbuffer to 3. Or just delete that setting. It does not need to be messed with.

Here's the formula for uGrids

(uGrids + 1)^2 = Exterior cell buffer

For example, default ugrids is 5... what is (5+1)^2? That's right, 36... which is the default exterior cell buffer setting. :)

SO if you want stable uGrids with similar performance to stock but a noticeable long distance image quality boost and the same stability as stock, here's what you set in Skyrim.ini

Code:
[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH

uExterior Cell Buffer=64
uGridsToLoad=7

Enjoy. Exterior/interior cells do NOT work the way you expect them to, btw, so raising them without reason will harm performance and stability.

Piggus

Heres 5 vs 7. This is one of the famous eye sores of the game. I thinks its quite decent know.

http://www.abload.de/img/tesv_2012_01_31_16_41bxjjr.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/tesv_2012_01_31_16_48khozu.jpg[IMG]

Just look at the windmill and house models, at 5 the windmill at that distance doesnt even have the propeller. But zaps some frames tough.[/QUOTE]

Heh... Louis Letrush and his twin brother Louis Letrush. I have that bug too. :p

[url]http://i.imgur.com/eHFKO.jpg[/url]

PowerK

Top Bottom