• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Kyaw

Well shit let me load up your config. Can I copy and paste it directly into my directory or no? It's finished installing right now. Going to run your config and play in 3D. I set the game to Ultra everything, is this ok or will your config override that?

You need to change it to your Graphic card name though. Always remember this!

Also the 1000 exterior shadow distance is puny. The fade ins are so ridiculously obvious.

Aeana

Also the 1000 exterior shadow distance is puny. The fade ins are so ridiculously obvious.

Is that really important? The nVidia performance boosting DLL that literally doubled my framerate set my adapter name to 8800GS or something which is obviously way weaker than what I have, but it looks the same to me and just runs a whole heck of a lot better.

Aptos

Are you just pausing the game or alt tabbing? I never bothered to use the task manager. I think I will check now.

I have a dual monitor setup so I can see them while the game is running. I get no performance drop when running both monitors. Although if all you want to know is GPU usage, GPU-z will record maxes for all it's data so you can view it after the fact. The Windows task and resource managers have no such feature.

Also, if you alt-tab the game goes into a holding pattern and your cpu and gpu usage will drop.

MrBig

Is that really important? The nVidia performance boosting DLL that literally doubled my framerate set my adapter name to 8800GS or something which is obviously way weaker than what I have, but it looks the same to me and just runs a whole heck of a lot better.

What's this?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well shit let me load up your config. Can I copy and paste it directly into my directory or no? It's finished installing right now. Going to run your config and play in 3D. I set the game to Ultra everything, is this ok or will your config override that?

Run the config once to get your sD3Device name and then copy that over to my SKyrimPrefs ini in the same line and you're good to go. EDIT THE RESOLUTION too!

I have a dual monitor setup so I can see them while the game is running. I get no performance drop when running both monitors. Although if all you want to know is GPU usage, GPU-z will record maxes for all it's data so you can view it after the fact. The Windows task and resource managers have no such feature.

Also, if you alt-tab the game goes into a holding pattern and your cpu and gpu usage will drop.

I use GPUZ and MSI afterburder got the GPU. The CPU cycles are never full on task manager too, figured I'd ask though. As I said, with my ini, GPU usage is 100%. Matter of fact it pushes my system a little more than BF3!

Kyaw

What is this?!

I was talking about this:

sD3DDevice="ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series"

Gotta change the bolded to your card name. ie. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti

Or else the game launcher will not recognise the ini file and generate a new default ini file with default settings.

LiquidMetal14

I seen this but no one confirmed that it worked. If you say it helps then I will add it to the mods section.

What is this?!

I was talking about this:

sD3DDevice="ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series"

Gotta change the bolded to your card name. ie. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti

Or else the game launcher will not recognise the ini file and generate a new default ini file with default settings.

Every time. And be aware, the ENB mod edits that and leave it as ENB too. I added that to the ENB mod link with a disclaimer. It will generate new ini's every time.

And as I said to Smokey, if you copy an ini over, change the display device and resolution and everything should work as it should.

Smokey

So in my case "Nvidia GTX 500 series", or "Nvidia GTX 580 series"?

Run the config once to get your sD3Device name and then copy that over to my SKyrimPrefs ini in the same line and you're good to go. EDIT THE RESOLUTION too!

Ah I see. Thnks.

Aptos

I use GPUZ and MSI afterburder got the GPU. The CPU cycles are never full on task manager too, figured I'd ask though. As I said, with my ini, GPU usage is 100%. Matter of fact it pushes my system a little more than BF3!

I tried using your ini you posted a bit ago, and I get the same results. Slightly more GPU usage up to ~80% instead of 75%.

As a CSC major, with a focus in computer graphics, this unoptimized code really irks me.

LiquidMetal14

So in my case "Nvidia GTX 500 series", or "Nvidia GTX 580 series"?

Run the launcher once so it detects your config. Set your resolution. In the ini, it should have your sD3Device, copy that line over and you 2 resolution lines over too. So....

[Display]
iSize H=1080
iSize W=1920
sD3DDevice="AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series"

Those are mine, for example.

Oh you seen my other post, still, this one explains it better and I can show you what I mean.

I tried using your ini you posted a bit ago, and I get the same results. Slightly more GPU usage up to ~80% instead of 75%.

As a CSC major, with a focus in computer graphics, this unoptimized code really irks me.

Which CPU? Sorry if I missed that as I'm reading everything on several forums.

Aptos

Which CPU? Sorry if I missed that as I'm reading everything on several forums.

I've got an i7 920 @ 3.5GHz, 6GB Triple Channel (DDR3) RAM @ 1333 MHz, a stock clocked ATi 5870 w/ 1GB, and an OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD.

This should be able to run this game at a constant 60fps, but I can't even do that on the lowest possible settings due to their terrible optimization (granted, on the lowest settings it is 60 fps most of the time, but it does drop into the high 40s in cities like Markarth).

LiquidMetal14

I've got an i7 920 @ 3.5GHz, 6GB Triple Channel (DDR3) RAM @ 1333 MHz, a stock clocked ATi 5870 w/ 1GB, and an OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD.

This should be able to run this game at a constant 60fps, but I can't even do that on the lowest possible settings due to their terrible optimization (granted, on the lowest settings it is 60 fps most of the time, but it does drop into the high 40s in cities like Markarth).

It's really horrible. Sorry for not being able to fix such issues as Bethesda really left many things out and didn't optimize like you would expect. As promised, I will now run the game and check my CPU cycles...

Sethos

Banned
Okay, messed around a bit and decided to use the Injector after all - Game looks even more stunning now.

( It's a sunset, not a piss filter )

Aeana

Someone please tell me that your framerate also totally tanks if you go up to the Dragonsreach in Whiterun and look down at the town. If I face that way, I get down to 19 FPS (!) but if I turn and face the building, it's back up to 60. So saddening. I average about 30-35 around town otherwise.

Wallach

Someone please tell me that your framerate also totally tanks if you go up to the Dragonsreach in Whiterun and look down at the town. If I face that way, I get down to 19 FPS (!) but if I turn and face the building, it's back up to 60. So saddening. I average about 30-35 around town otherwise.

I get like 30 FPS doing that. Also get 30-32 FPS with the view as soon as you enter/fast travel into Whiterun.

Tambini

If I stand at the door toJorvahskr and look at the big tree my framerate drops around 25-28

LiquidMetal14

Absolutely. I hit like 42 overlooking the plaza with the withered tree. Towns just work like that until Bethesda hopefully fixes this or we get better drivers.

@Aptos

skyb4uvc.png

Ponti

Markath is the worst. Massive FPS drop in there for me.

Aeana

Absolutely. I hit like 42 overlooking the plaza with the withered tree. Towns just work like that until Bethesda hopefully fixes this or we get better drivers.

(._. ) I would love to get 42 at that spot. I start feeling sick during large framerate fluctuations, which is why I usually limit games that I can't play at a solid 60 with to 30 via Dxtory. But sadly, Dxtory causes crashing and other issues during loading in this game for me so I have no choice but to play without it (and it wouldn't help in this case, since 19 is obviously lower than 30. :().
Stupid game.

Velz

Neo Member

With a 560 ti, i5 2500k at stock and running only 2x MSAA, FXAA off, no ambient occlusion being forced on with Nvidia Insector, and 4096 shadow resolution I'm getting ~40 there.

Durante

Analyzing performance with windows task manager is like eating soup with a fork.

I really would like for these random CTDs to get fixed. I have cleaned, uninstalled sound drivers; etc and I still get random CTDs. They have decreased significantly since I did the sound fix, but I got another today.
Have you done the LAA fix? It seems to help some people, and it certainly doesn't hurt.

FWIW, I just hit 50 hours played and still haven't had a crash.

Aeana

It is definitely your CPU. The game performs far better on Core i-series. If you can do a mild overclock, it'll definitely help you out.

I don't know anything about overclocking, but I doubt that I would be able to do much with whatever fan came with the processor.

LiquidMetal14

I don't know anything about overclocking, but I doubt that I would be able to do much with whatever fan came with the processor.
It's not worth stressing over. The game should perform better with patching and hopeful driver updates to your GPU. It's sporadic, to say the least.

Smokey

Run the launcher once so it detects your config. Set your resolution. In the ini, it should have your sD3Device, copy that line over and you 2 resolution lines over too. So....

[Display]
iSize H=1080
iSize W=1920

Those are mine, for example.

Oh you seen my other post, still, this one explains it better and I can show you what I mean.

Just got out of the cave and followed the NPC a bit in Skyrim. I mentioned before that I'm playing in 3D and haven't implemented your config, but holy crap. It looks amazing. The 3D implementation is really good. The depth is amazing. All I did so far was implement 16x AF and 4x SuperSampling through Nvidia Inspector.

Now even more stoked to try your config!

OTIX

Anyone know what might cause these weird moving shadow-stripes?

Always happens around the fire in the Whiterun home but also in some other places with bright lighting.

Aeana

It's not worth stressing over. The game should perform better with patching and hopeful driver updates to your GPU. It's sporadic, to say the least.

Well like I said, when it gets down that low dropping from a higher framerate, I start to feel ill, so it'd be nice if I could get it at least a little bit higher. Definitely hoping for updates, but will most likely have to take dramamine or something to keep playing if it's going to do this in every town. I get decent to wonderful performance everywhere else.

Smokey

[Display]
iSize H=1080
iSize W=1920

Hmm..I played for about 20 mins. Checked config and there isn't a line for sd3ddevice..

LiquidMetal14

Well like I said, when it gets down that low dropping from a higher framerate, I start to feel ill, so it'd be nice if I could get it at least a little bit higher. Definitely hoping for updates, but will most likely have to take dramamine or something to keep playing if it's going to do this in every town. I get decent to wonderful performance everywhere else.

This is with the ini settings or without? You can increase the shadow distance and lower some settings on the LOD field and that should help.

LiquidMetal14

Hmm..I played for about 20 mins. Checked config and there isn't a line for sd3ddevice..

in [Dsiplay], it's further down. Or try Skyrim.ini, it's there too. But it should be in SKyrimPrefs under [Display]

Damn, forgot to edit this into my last post.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Always happens around the fire in the Whiterun home but also in some other places with bright lighting.

I'm getting the same thing... not sure why. GTX 560 TI here.

Same here, but Radeon 6850 - seems to be a game issue rather than a specific video card problem.

Velz

Neo Member

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=6
iShadowFilter=4
iShadowMapResolution=4096
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iShadowMode=4
iShadowSplitCount=4

Derrick01

Banned
Just happen to me again too. I didnt have any crashes for the first 20 hours now I seem to be getting them a lot.

Yup me too, ever since I crossed about the 45 hour mark it's been doing it a lot more. Hopefully the patch that's coming fixes it because it's getting annoying even though the game saves religiously.

Sarcasm

How can I make my computer run it a bit better?

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3894MB RAM
Page File: 3293MB used, 4492MB available
Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E0&SUBSYS_1469103C&REV_00
Display Memory: 2705 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1690 MB

Aeana

This is with the ini settings or without? You can increase the shadow distance and lower some settings on the LOD field and that should help.

Without. I tried overclocking with TurboV up to like 3.3GHz just briefly to see if it would even help. it took it from 19->25 FPS in that area. So whatever, I guess. I'll just have to deal with it.

OTIX

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=6
iShadowFilter=4
iShadowMapResolution=4096
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iShadowMode=4
iShadowSplitCount=4

Stripes are still there, maybe a little blurrier. Thanks for trying though.

It's not a huge deal since it happens in so few places. Just weird.

sgi02

Banned
Just happen to me again too. I didnt have any crashes for the first 20 hours now I seem to be getting them a lot.

Add me to the list as well... 30+ hours in and it was rock solid, then randomly just exited to the desktop with no errors. Since this ive had the game crash 5-6 times in the past few hours of playing. For me it seems to happen when the game is trying to autosave (Entering a city, resting, et cetera).

There was one instance where the game just froze but remained open, alt-tab'ing out of the game showed a flashing instance of "Visual C++ 2008..." on the taskbar. Sadly I couldn't recover an error message and had to manually kill Skyrim via the task manager. Event viewer logged the crash as a generic event (ID # 1000 - Application Fault).

Top Bottom