• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

This happens in all of Bethesda's Gamebryo games. The more you play it and the larger your save file gets, the more crashes, bugs, and chance of save corruption you'll run into.

MrBig

I've got duplicate commands in skyrimprefs.ini. Does skyrim.ini override prefs or is it the other way around?
e: cleaned it up. nvm.

Hawk269

I messed around with Ugrids and it does definately help in the draw distance, but it aslo effects the FPS alot.

My only concern in using Ugrids is the fact that if you change the value, the game once you load your save it cloes and goes to desktop. No error code, just an instant to desktop. So I am not sure what i should do. Keep ugrids, but if sometime in the future some better enhancements or performance profiles/patches to where let's say ugrids11 would work at 60fps I would be screwed with my game save if I have ugrids9.

God I hate this shit with PC gaming. The game looks so damn good, but the pop-in in far off stuff is irritating and not sure if using u-grids is worth or not becuase it effects the save file.

Also to Liquid and Booby, do you guys have a .ini setting for a super high end rig? I have an I72600k, OC to 4.6, 2x580SLI OC to 855mhz, 8gigs or ram.

Thanks guys!

neoism

This happens in all of Bethesda's Gamebryo games. The more you play it and the larger your save file gets, the more crashes, bugs, and chance of save corruption you'll run into.

just delete the saves mang.... I just stopped playing.. I'm on save 560... plus at least 100 auto saves. After 100 or soo I just delete all but 5 or so. I'm one of the lucky few though. Just hit 50 hours with 0 crashes.

Smokey

I messed around with Ugrids and it does definately help in the draw distance, but it aslo effects the FPS alot.

My only concern in using Ugrids is the fact that if you change the value, the game once you load your save it cloes and goes to desktop. No error code, just an instant to desktop. So I am not sure what i should do. Keep ugrids, but if sometime in the future some better enhancements or performance profiles/patches to where let's say ugrids11 would work at 60fps I would be screwed with my game save if I have ugrids9.

God I hate this shit with PC gaming. The game looks so damn good, but the pop-in in far off stuff is irritating and not sure if using u-grids is worth or not becuase it effects the save file.

Also to Liquid and Booby, do you guys have a .ini setting for a super high end rig? I have an I72600k, OC to 4.6, 2x580SLI OC to 855mhz, 8gigs or ram.

Thanks guys!

I asked same question and was referred to Liquid's config as a starting point.

Thanks guys!

I'll take Liquid's config and tweak it to be more suited to your rig. Honestly though you'll be CPU limited by the game, GTX 580's will only get you so far because the load on the isn't really what matters.

KePoW

Banned
Someone please tell me that your framerate also totally tanks if you go up to the Dragonsreach in Whiterun and look down at the town. If I face that way, I get down to 19 FPS (!) but if I turn and face the building, it's back up to 60. So saddening. I average about 30-35 around town otherwise.

Yes, framerate definitely drops noticeably in the scenario you described.

rumsey

... I'm on save 560... plus at least 100 auto saves.... Just hit 50 hours...

How in the... I am at 44 hours and just hit save 52.

Also, I think the game only uses 3 auto saves and writes over the oldest one. I use the same system. Just checked and there are only 6 saves in my save dir, 8.8mbs.

Smokey

You get a chance to run that? You can probably add much better AA and not see a hit either.

Not yet. Just got off a session of Battlefield 3. Too many games, little time :p.

I did play with 4x SuperSampling AA in non-3D mode, with 16AF. Got 120fps in caves, and around 80-90fps outside. Going to try and push the AA up even more.

Hawk269

Not yet. Just got off a session of Battlefield 3. Too many games, little time :p.

I did play with 4x SuperSampling AA in non-3D mode, with 16AF. Got 120fps in caves, and around 80-90fps outside. Going to try and push the AA up even more.

Smokey are you using Ugrids at all?

neoism

Also, I think the game only uses 3 auto saves and writes over the oldest one. I use the same system. Just checked and there are only 6 saves in my save dir, 8.8mbs.

wow didn't know that... But I have my auto save for every 5 min... plus I can save very fast. Back + A + A takes less than 2 seconds. lol I had 1400 saves in New Vegas.

Jubbly

Keep ugrids, but if sometime in the future some better enhancements or performance profiles/patches to where let's say ugrids11 would work at 60fps I would be screwed with my game save if I have ugrids9.

Thanks guys!

You can reset uGrids:

If you set a value of 7 and save the game, that save won’t work if you set the value back down to 5. There is a way of recovering it, though:

1) Load game with uGridsToLoad at the ‘safe’ setting – the one it was at when you saved.
2) Load the save, which should load correctly.
3) Open the console and type the following:

setini “ugridstoload:general” 5
saveini
refreshini

This has restored the uGridsToLoad setting to its default while your save is already open.

4) Save the game. The save you create now will work at any uGrids setting from the default up.

It will bone your Skyrim.ini afterwards so backup SkyrimPrefs.ini, reload the launcher, let it generate new files, then re-tweak SkyrimPrefs. I've done so much testing and tweaking that it takes me only a few minutes :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Same here, but Radeon 6850 - seems to be a game issue rather than a specific video card problem.

Yeah, there are certain parts of the game that get weird no matter what - i.e. there's a certain cave where the lighting causes all sorts of weird distortions that don't reoccur anywhere else that I've seen.

I don't know my particular framerate but it on a 560 Ti with Ultra settings and shadows down one notch, it consistently LOOKs like 60. I don't know how to check the actual rate, but I'd rather not since it's probably somewhere in between 30 and 60 and finding out it's not 60 would annoy me.

Jubbly

There's a map error in 'Ustengrav' that sent me to 5 fps. From what I could tell there's a leak in the map at a specific spot and every single thing in the dungeon was being rendered at once. At least, that's what I assume, seeing how all three of my GPUs went to 100% usage, and my VRAM up to 1.4GB.

I even used the Low settings for shits and giggles and got the same result. First major bug for me that.

...So my GeForce 570 came in the mail, and it's GREAT. But, the Nvidia Inspector shit is awful and almost seems like it was designed to be as unintuitive as possible as some kind of techy joke. I think I accidentally deleted my Skyrim profile somehow and I can't make a new one? Also, took me a long time to figure out that I had to click an arbitrary blue hyperlink to make the settings have legible descriptions. RadeonPro is much more pleasant. Oh well! I'm not too worried about it because I get great performance anyway, but I did kind of want to check out ambient occlusion.

Velz

Neo Member
...So my GeForce 570 came in the mail, and it's GREAT. But, the Nvidia Inspector shit is awful and almost seems like it was designed to be as unintuitive as possible as some kind of techy joke. I think I accidentally deleted my Skyrim profile somehow and I can't make a new one? Also, took me a long time to figure out that I had to click an arbitrary blue hyperlink to make the settings have legible descriptions. RadeonPro is much more pleasant. Oh well! I'm not too worried about it because I get great performance anyway, but I did kind of want to check out ambient occlusion.

Just reinstall it if you really lost the profile. It's simple, i don;t know how you screwed it up, not to sound like a jerk, but if you managed to even learn of the program by checking forums for tweaks for this game, then you should have also found a how to guide that goes along with it, I've seen them everywhere and it's how I got mine running.

Jubbly

Make a new text document, enter the following, save as Skyrim.nip, then import into NVIDIA Inspector:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<ArrayOfProfile>
<Profile>
<ProfileName>Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim</ProfileName>
<Executeables>
<string>tesv.exe</string>
</Executeables>
<Settings>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>1686376</SettingID>
<SettingValue>0</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>3066610</SettingID>
<SettingValue>1</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>6701881</SettingID>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>6714153</SettingID>
<SettingValue>3</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>13510289</SettingID>
<SettingValue>4294967286</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>13983613</SettingID>
<SettingValue>536870912</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>270426537</SettingID>
<SettingValue>16</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>271830721</SettingID>
<SettingValue>3</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>271834322</SettingID>
<SettingValue>4</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>278073158</SettingID>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>278257400</SettingID>
<SettingValue>1120403461</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>282245910</SettingID>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>282364549</SettingID>
<SettingValue>20</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>282555346</SettingID>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>283958146</SettingID>
</ProfileSetting>
<ProfileSetting>
<SettingID>284962204</SettingID>
<SettingValue>4</SettingValue>
</ProfileSetting>
</Settings>
</Profile>
</ArrayOfProfile>

Durante

Actually, nvidia inspector has a fantastic, speedy and complete interface. It can even deal with new options that pop up in the driver after it was released. It's probably not designed to be particularly "intuitive", but that's a good thing: I assume the NV and AMD default control panels are designed to be intuitive, and look at what that gets us.

You make a new profile by clicking on the icon with a small green plus sign in the toolbar. I actually thought that part was pretty intuitive.

Jubbly

Actually, nvidia inspector has a fantastic, speedy and complete interface. It can even deal with new options that pop up in the driver after it was released. It's probably not designed to be particularly "intuitive", but that's a good thing: I assume the NV and AMD default control panels are designed to be intuitive, and look at what that gets us.

You make a new profile by clicking on the icon with a small green plus sign in the toolbar. I actually thought that part was pretty intuitive.

The only thing you can't set correctly in the NVIDIA Control Panel right now is Ambient Occlusion, so I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out :)

REV 09

I get about 30fps in the worst cast in Solitude with your settings. I think I'm gonna steal some of the detail LOD, but stick with the other ini. It also blurs the crap out of shadows when you're outside and I think it looks more natural (with the sun being so far away and all), and as an added bonus it hides the lower resolution artifacting.

where is this other ini you refer to?

Durante

The only thing you can't set correctly in the NVIDIA Control Panel right now is Ambient Occlusion, so I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out :)
I'm not even talking about capabilities (though I don't remember being able to set AA compatibility bits in the CP, but I haven't used it in a long time), I'm talking about the basic interface and usability. It literally takes 20 seconds to open inspector, find the profile for some specific game, change a setting and save. You can count yourself lucky if the NV panel has even finished loading in that time.

REV 09

LiquidMetal14's FINAL (as of 11-19-11) ini settings

Hardware:
2500k @4.55ghz
8GB RAM
6970 2GB @950/1450mhz
Windows 7x64

Using the RadeonPro settings in the OP BUT with 2xSSAA.

SkyrimPrefs.ini

Code:
[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
[B]iPreloadsizeLimit=524288000
fMasterFilePreLoadMB=320.0000
iNumHWThreads=4
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1[/B]

[B]uGridsToLoad=7
uInterior Cell Buffer=48
uExterior Cell Buffer=288
iPreloadsizeLimit=524288000[/B]
regarding your ini settings, what are these? i see you added them...never seen those settings before. heard about uGrid though...most interested in the iNumHWThreads=4 setting. Does that setting tap all 4 cores to the max? are there any external programs that need downloading for this to work?

Jubbly

I'm not even talking about capabilities (though I don't remember being able to set AA compatibility bits in the CP, but I haven't used it in a long time), I'm talking about the basic interface and usability. It literally takes 20 seconds to open inspector, find the profile for some specific game, change a setting and save. You can count yourself lucky if the NV panel has even finished loading in that time.

Something ain't right on your end, I'm afraid. I click the NVCPL icon on the bottom right of the taskbar and it instantly appears.

Durante

Something ain't right on your end, I'm afraid. I click the NVCPL icon on the bottom right of the taskbar and it instantly appears.
You're right, it opens more quickly than it used to. However, the profiles are still presented as a flat list with hundreds of entries (or a smaller list that misses some games you have actually installed), so my point about inspector being much quicker to use stands. And quite a few settings are missing in addition to the ambient occlusion you mentioned.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
regarding your ini settings, what are these? i see you added them...never seen those settings before. heard about uGrid though...most interested in the iNumHWThreads=4 setting. Does that setting tap all 4 cores to the max? are there any external programs that need downloading for this to work?

I read it on a few forums, incase some aren't getting proper CPU utilization. It does not solve the CPU limiting issues though.

Aeana

Jeez. I've played for 9 hours and am on save 64. I know I save a lot, but only 52 saves in 44 hours is kinda crazy.

REV 09

anyone else using a controller? I've noticed that 30fps does not feel like 30fps. I've done a lot of console gaming with controllers throughout the years and this game feels like 10-15fps when it says 30. 60fps feels great, 50fps feels roughly like a 30fps console game to me. played a bit with the mouse and fps in the 30s doesn't feel as bad. Could it be the refresh rate of my screen or something?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
anyone else using a controller? I've noticed that 30fps does not feel like 30fps. I've done a lot of console gaming with controllers throughout the years and this game feels like 10-15fps when it says 30. 60fps feels great, 50fps feels roughly like a 30fps console game to me. played a bit with the mouse and fps in the 30s doesn't feel as bad. Could it be the refresh rate of my screen or something?

I agree. It feels smooth enough but just off. Playable for sure but when I get into the lower 40's it just doesn't feel as fast as that indicates.

leadbelly

Banned
Yeah. This is something I've noticed in other games as well. Personally I think you notice it more because it's a sudden drop. In a lot of places it's usually much higher and then you get to a certain area and there is a sudden drop. If it was locked at 30 perhaps you wouldn't really notice it as much.

REV 09

Yeah. This is something I've noticed in other games as well. Personally I think you notice it more because it's a sudden drop. In a lot of places it's usually much higher and then you get to a certain area and there is a sudden drop. If it was locked at 30 perhaps you wouldn't really notice it as much.

i get what you're saying, but i can lock it at 30 and it's unplayable. Most console games barely maintain 30fps and they're fine. i don't understand what the difference is.

leadbelly

Banned
i get what you're saying, but i can lock it at 30 and it's unplayable. Most console games barely maintain 30fps and they're fine. i don't understand what the difference is.

Well, that isn't something I have tried out. There is only a few places where I see significant drops in the game. One of those places being Markarth. I think due to all the water and the way you can see practically the whole town from above.

REV 09

Well, that isn't something I have tried out. There is only a few places where I see significant drops in the game. One of those places being Markarth. I think due to all the water and the way you can see practically the whole town from above.

i'm in Markarth now..lol. that's my place for testing performance changes.

Just reinstall it if you really lost the profile. It's simple, i don;t know how you screwed it up, not to sound like a jerk, but if you managed to even learn of the program by checking forums for tweaks for this game, then you should have also found a how to guide that goes along with it, I've seen them everywhere and it's how I got mine running.

Yeah, the how-to guide was misleading, or I did something wrong, or both. Point being, I don't even need a guide for RadeonPro, shit just works and is obvious.

No biggie, I'll reinstall or use that text command the other poster offered(thanks), just venting.

The icon with the small green plus sign appears to be an 'Add application to current profile' button(being different than adding a profile). Unless it does something different than what it says.

I'm sure it's a product of excellent programming, just mildly annoyed that I had to fight with it.

Wallach

Jeez. I've played for 9 hours and am on save 64. I know I save a lot, but only 52 saves in 44 hours is kinda crazy.

I think I'm at like 60 saves in 46 hours. Seems pointless to make quite that many hard saves when using the quicksave slot.

Aeana

I think I'm at like 60 saves in 46 hours. Seems pointless to make quite that many hard saves when using the quicksave slot.

As I am playing the game from my couch with a gamepad, I don't really have the option of quicksaving. But I prefer to have a stable of saves to roll back to at any given time in a game like this anyway.

The following is for Archers.

[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7

Put that in your skyrim.ini file so the arrows fly out the reticle and not over it.

Download this mod if you are tired of sending enemies flying back 20 feet with one arrow.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=601

This makes for far more realistic death animations.

[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=12288.0000

Put that in your skyrim.ini just add it to the bottom. It eliminates the damage drop off with archery and magic at ultra long ranges. Now your ultra long range shots will impact .

Aptos

@Aptos

skyb4uvc.png

Yep, that's the same thing I'm getting.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Game was crashing every 20 minutes today. Decided to try out that large address aware thing and everything is running fine now. Should have used that sooner, but whatever.

Really recommend trying LAA for others whose game randomly closes often.

JRW

Yea I agree, I'm using a PS3 controller and if the framerate drops closer to 30fps it feels like its hitting some sort of bottleneck, the control feels more lagged than it should even at 40fps, It certainly doesn't feel as smooth as Xbox360's 30fps.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Game was crashing every 20 minutes today. Decided to try out that large address aware thing and everything is running fine now. Should have used that sooner, but whatever.

Really recommend trying LAA for others whose game randomly closes often.

The LAA tweak is one of the things I tried when the crashes were becoming frequent. It didn't seem to do anything for me, though. In the end, I just decided to dealwithit.gif.

Top Bottom