• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 16 minutes gameplay video

glottis8

Banned
Ended up watching it, and yes he is annoying. But holy cow was i stressed out watching it. Can't wait to play it. I really hope its a great game and that it looks way better than this 360 version on the ps4.

I really do hope that isn't PC footage. I know it's still pretty far off, but yeesh.

Anyway of finding out for sure? Perhaps someone could tweet PewDiePie?

its very common for publishers to go after youtubers. with youtube personalities a little money guarantees a 100% positive video where as with press you might get negative feedback. publishers get away with it because even though the youtube videos are in the lets play/quick look format they are actually paid advertising.

More views than any video on gamespot or IGN ever could + less critical, easily manipulated audience + positivity that can be bought outright = a winning proposition for any publisher.

It really is a brilliant marketing choice...especially for a game like this that's flying a bit under the radar and could use some more exposure.

I just didn't know publishers actually did this kind of stuff before, but I like it. I don't really care how I get the new footage, so long as I get it!

Ergh! I hate when games try to make it "real" and characters get super tired after a 3 second dash. It's ok that you get tired and you cant just dash away, but dont make a character with baby lungs.

Come on! Im out of shape and i can run full speed for a good 20 seconds before im out of breath.

You can actually upgrade the length you can run before slowing down.

I love Mikami as much as the next guy but games like P.N. 03, God Hand and Vanquish are hardly above low brow. On the contrary, they are actually quite dumb (but in a good way) and so are his RE games.

Yeah true. But I'm really only talking about his horrors games not his other games. Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3, Killer 7, (The brilliant) Resident Evil 4 and even Shadows of the Damned to a lesser extent. Sure SotD is more humours but the environments, enemy designs, pacing, gameplay all have those Mikami staples which again, aren't about cheap scares. The dogs jumping through the window in RE1, but how much of the rest of the game was like that? They don't throw obvious jump scares at you. They use suspense and tension building with a story that's set around the characters and their interactions in certain situations; all the while being in a setting that has mystery around it. TEW does the same.
Just from looking at the gameplay footage and settings you can it has the level of respect for player by not being a half-arsed attempt at being scary.
You're not a no-named person running around a theme park looking at cheap uninspired attractions like Amnesia or Indie Horror Game X but: Leon in Europe, Claire in Raccoon City, Dan Smith in alternate Earth etc etc.

I disagree with this games marketing completely. But because Bethesda can't(aren't smart enough) show this game how it really is, they instead market it for PewDiePie fans....but I can't deny it's an effective marketing trick.

I love Mikami as much as the next guy but games like P.N. 03, God Hand and Vanquish are hardly above low brow. On the contrary, they are actually quite dumb (but in a good way) and so are his RE games.

They have phenomenal gameplay, which is what matters most in the end.

I hate how people always turn threads into PDP hate-a-thons. It's fine to dislike someone but telling everyone else here how much you hate him is just whining

Anyway the game doesn't look AS good as I had hoped. The framerate is awful and it's a bit overly combat heavy, but then again that could just be that particular area. The visuals are rough as hell as well, would love to know what version it is.

Either I've played too many horror games or it's different when playing but I wasn't feeling the tension. Probably just cos I'm watching it instead of playing

spannicus

Cross gen affecting another game? Would think it looks and plays better on current gen systems. Theres really not too much going on from what I can tell.

StuBurns

Banned
It's quite sad really the fuck happened?
I never thought very highly of idTech 5, megatextures are horrible, and Rage has this awful static/inert feeling, but at least the performance is strong.

I imagine the documentation isn't great in Japanese. A few years ago when I checked all the staff list, there was certainly no shortage of staggering talent, so I don't think that's the issue. They've certainly had long enough on the project too.

Who knows, maybe they'll turn it around before launch.

I'd love to watch it, but I'm really reluctant to give that Youtube 'personality' a hit, so I'll refrain.

Man, I really hope this game turns out well though - I feel like it could go either way at this point. Hopefully that delay paid off.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I never thought very highly of idTech 5, megatextures are horrible, and Rage has this awful static/inert feeling, but at least the performance is strong.

I imagine the documentation isn't great in Japanese. A few years ago when I checked all the staff list, there was certainly no shortage of staggering talent, so I don't think that's the issue. They've certainly had long enough on the project too.

Who knows, maybe they'll turn it around before launch.

They should have just used whatever engine Vanquish was using. Mikami's team had mastery of that engine to an art form. Never really understood why they decided to use an engine they are clearly unfamiliar with and likely still aren't since it's seems like it'll be lucky if this game has a locked 30 let alone 60 plus black bars.

I don't get it. Bethesda could have absorbed the costs and project would have almost certainly gone along faster. I would imagine such learning how to use such an engine would take quite a hit to the critical path.

mp1990

Banned
The game looks great,but i really want that this gameplay is from last gen version,because man...these graphics aren't good,and the framerate is terrible.

I'd love to watch it, but I'm really reluctant to give that Youtube 'personality' a hit, so I'll refrain.

Man, I really hope this game turns out well though - I feel like it could go either way at this point. Hopefully that delay paid off.

I don't think it really matters man. The video is already sitting on 1 million views! o_O

hemo memo

Gold Member
I lowered my expectation long ago on the technical side of EW

the game won't be polished like the other shooters even if they delay it more because of the difficulties Tango is facing with IdTech5, the shooting feedback seems awesome / violent though and the atmosphere is just wow

We have this horrible practice called "release it buggy and fix it later" so i'm not worried about the game getting delayed more.

vg260

TRIGGER WARNING: Pewdiepie.

simpsons-leaving-room.gif

TnK

You can see his fake reactions in a part. The video loops and he says different things?
http://youtu.be/NZpIxiWPjtk?t=10m30s turns into http://youtu.be/NZpIxiWPjtk?t=10m44s
He simply died and retried. The cuts reflect that and all.

Anyways, so much hate for pewdipie for no reaso lol. I liked this video, and found some of his comments funny. Also, the game looks interesting and a nice throwback to one of RE4's earlier builds where it had psychological horror. Interesting game overall, and I have a feeling it will be there with REmake.

To all of you worried about the framerate: play it on PC if possible, I believe it will be a constant 60 FPS on that without needing too much horsepower.

dlauv

I'm interested but the game isn't looking too well. That frame-rate is incredible, and it still looks very janky and most definitely not scary.

KoopaTheCasual

Frame rate sucks.

Who the hell is this guy? His voice is so annoying.
He's the single most subscribed guy on Youtube.

While I can't stand listening/watching him. I'm really glad that he plays a wide variety of games and that a single one of his videos can really turn the fortunes around on a smaller title (not that The Evil Within is one of these "smaller titles")

Jobbs

Banned
I don't quite understand the mostly negative response I'm seeing here. I love mikami, and this game generally looks great. The framerate is weird, but I'm having a hard time believing that's what the framerate will really be. I'm more inclined to think it's some problem with the video capture or the build he had or something.

this is going to be pure RE4 style stuff here. what's not to like? and it's not ugly. it's not perfect looking, sure, but it's not ugly!

Top Bottom