• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fans Have Inherited the Film Industry — and It's a Problem for the Rest of Us

While Capt films are heavily reliant on the previous. With Capt 3 being Avengers 2.5 and the sequel to Capt 2. You're missing a hell of a lot jumping into Capt 2 without 1, and Capt 3 without Avengers and Capt 1/2.

What exactly are you missing if you skip Cap 1? They tell you a couple of different times in Cap 2 who Bucky is (in the museum, in a flashback). They don't tell you who Peggy is but it can be inferred from the scene, plus when Cap talks to Sam he mentions how everyone he knew from before was either old or dead. Some of the scenes may have less impact, like the Peggy scene, but I don't think anyone is going to be lost.

Fox is planning on putting Deadpool in an X-Force movie. You can bet that's one of the 6 films they announced today. What are you talking about?

I missed out on the Deadpool and Cable news for X Force, of which all I heard of was Domino.

Even with that, I'm not sure if they are actually going to go through in inserting it with the other XMen films or if it's more that they say it takes place in one of those several timelines (or all, cuz Deadpool) but doesn't actually have a present tie-in to them to where it may as well just be Deadpool 3: X-vengers the Debut....Part 1.

GatorBait

Is this actually a complaint with real merit, or just complaining for the sake of complaining? Seems like just a trendy way to write an article bashing superhero movies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is this actually a complaint with real merit, or just complaining for the sake of complaining? Seems like just a trendy way to write an article bashing superhero movies.

I mean, I agree that this strikes me as a hot take.

The Kree

Banned

Look at the sheer number of movies that come out each year and realize we never ever have to watch another superhero film for the rest of our lives and still have hundreds and hundreds of hours of entertainment to look forward to. It's a nonissue.

I'm not into sports. At literally any moment of the day there is a sporting event on TV that I could be watching. But if I complained that there was too much sports programming on TV, that it's too much to keep up with and learn all the rules of the games, people would look at me like I'm an idiot.

LosDaddie

Banned
Whiney article is whiney.

Either the MCU is inaccessible, or it's too bland & cookie cutter/assembly line-y to have any depth.

It can't be both.

Man, the discussion really has boiled down to memes. That's unfortunate.

I've given bits of input already, and decided to joke around after since I'm peeking back in every now and then.

I could argue such a hot take deserves a fair amount of derision, but it really isn't worth getting into.

Apt101

It doesn't seem to be stopping people from going to the theaters; revenues continue to rise. Interests once seen as "nerdy" and were stigmatized barely longer than a decade ago are now widely embraced - thanks largely to the fan-driven hype for these films.

I feel like the writer of this article came up with their conclusion first, one they snatched from thin air, and then began writing a narrative to support it.

Zero315

Banned
Considering we live in an era where people are regularly binge watching seasons of tv series on Netflix and the like, having to catch up with the MCU isn't that big of a deal.

Supernatural is entering season 13 and it's still pretty popular. This article is basically just about the author's fomo.

What is the Perks of Being a Wallflower?

That was an answer on Jeopardy 2 days ago.

Yes, I watch Jeopardy.

Nothing wrong with Jeopardy.

I think we'll see some standalone projects come about. It'll just have to come from a property not so closely tied to the potential to be roped into the already existing film properties.

border

Considering we live in an era where people are regularly binge watching seasons of tv series on Netflix and the like, having to catch up with the MCU isn't that big of a deal.

It's not so much a matter of "I don't have the time to watch these other movies" as it is a matter of "I'm not really interested in these other movies enough to devote time to them."

Other than Civil War, Marvel has done a pretty good job of keeping everything pretty approachable for new viewers or those that don't keep up with everything. I remember trying to read a complete timeline of the MCU and it was absolutely exhausting trying to keep up with all the events and occurences -- but most of that stuff is contained to the various TV shows.

LionPride

Banned
There's no real discussion to be had.

We're talking about an article complaining that Harry Potter movies ought not to exist because she's too lazy to look up what butterbeer is.

God damn it I just got mildly annoyed again, that's just fucking laziness

"Oh I dunno if I can watch this movie because I have to look up what a drink is in this series of movies/books"

What???

God damn it I just got mildly annoyed again, that's just fucking laziness

"Oh I dunno if I can watch this movie because I have to look up what a drink is in this series of movies/books"

What???

Also remember she's normal and not one of those loser geeks who have totally ruined movies... that's why everything should cater to her

Which is also a sentiment I've seen through out this thread

Imagine feeling so above those fucking geeks and feeling so put off by not knowing what butterbeer is that instead of looking it up you use your access to a medis platform to proclaim how those geeks are ruining your movie life

Imagine being that sad

Arttemis

There were 143 films from 2016 that were released in at least 1500 theatres concurrently at some point in their run. 42 of those were either sequels, remakes, or part of an existing movie franchise (which would include stuff like Deadpool). So 29% of the wide releases last year.

Exactly my point. That's a fuck ton of movies. Many of those 42 are self sufficient, and don't require any previous knowledge to watch, meaning they're lacking any barrier to watch, making this notion even more ridicuous.

There's a bit of a problem here. The article is largely about the "feeling" of interconnectness, not the actual impact on story.

To illustrate, imagine a boilerplate cop film. Rogue Cop meets his captain and that captain goes "This is your fifth incident of misconduct Rogue Cop! You're off the force!"

Now the question is, does the rest of the story change whether there were movies for those four other incidents? If those films existed, then sure, you might feel you had to watch them, but in reality the current film would be the same regardless.

My point being, a reference isn't always a missing part of the story. Most of the MCU films are standalone, or sequels in a line. The outliers are the two Avengers films, which are event pictures, and Captain America: Civil War. Thing is, that's 3 films out of 15 in total.

Fast and Furious is an excellent example. You can essentially jump onboard with Fast Five. You gain more from the previous films, but Five is largely a self-contained story.

It's the difference between frosting (the references) and cake (the actual story). And the issue is some confuse the frosting for being a part of the cake. You can watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them without knowing much about Harry Potter. When character X appears in the next film, that character will exist alone in Fantastic Beats world, while also being a reference to a character in Harry Potter. That doesn't mean Harry Potter is required to understand that character, only that you gain more.

Vader in Rogue One is another example. The character as portrayed is akin to Boba Fett in the original trilogy. He's an enforcer and force of nature. You gain more by having watched previous films, but you don't need those films to understand the story being told. This goes on and on. In Daredevil, you don't need to have seen Avengers to understand the indicent, only that an alien attack screwed up party of New York. Outside of specific cases, you don't need previous Star Trek shows to understand the story being told in DS9 or Voyager.

The problem again, isn't always in these films being connected, but this perception that you have to get those connections in order to understand the story being told. I agree with the general idea that one shouldn't have to look up something else to understand a film - in except in the case of sequel following from a preceding film, where you probably should've watched it - but not the general premise of the article.

More one-offs would be nice. I like that Nolan is continuing lending his talents to non franchise blockbusters after his huge success with Batman

He could have easily have done other dc properties or a star wars or some other franchise of his choice but went with interstellar and Dunkirk instead

J2 Cool

Pretty god damn true. Especially when each Marvel or Potter movie works up to some semi-climax, thats really just a lesser climax to where the "franchise" is heading in installment #3. It's just fucking stupid.

Tired of everything needing to be a pre-existing, well-known IP.

Pretty god damn true. Especially when each Marvel or Potter movie works up to some semi-climax, thats really just a lesser climax to where the "franchise" is heading in installment #3. It's just fucking stupid.

How did Harry Potter get wrapped in this? There were 8 movies in the franchise and there's been one spinoff.

That's ordinary shit. You don't even need to know anything about Harry Potter to watch Fantastic Beasts.

J2 Cool

How did Harry Potter get wrapped in this? There were 8 movies in the franchise and there's been one spinoff.

That's ordinary shit. You don't even need to know anything about Harry Potter to watch Fantastic Beasts.

I actually enjoyed Fantastic Beasts as much as any blockbuster this year. But the Depp switchup, and sequel teasing sat with me wrong. But actually one of the better beginning-to-end packages from blockbusters this year.

Regardless you have to be weary what constitutes a late setup in a movie, if plot threads will just end unresolved, etc. You didn't really used to have to watch blockbusters this way.

LotusHD

Banned

Guardians 2?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Jocks your turn is done the geeks rule.

Suck it

*puts glasses back on brim of nose*

If done correctly big epic sci-fi /comic franchises can be a great thing so long as they are suplimented with great story telling and other types of movies get a look in.

Or it could creatively bankrupt some big budget film making and saturate the market with drivel.

Still other companies will make there own films and genres people will watch them for their own merits.
Movies have been around for ages this is just a trend.

caliph95

There’s tons of stuff outside of comic movies and Star Wars. Not every movie has to be for everyone.
The movies top the box office charts for years, there is argument that can be made of hollywoods reliance on franchises and over inflation of budgets to catch up and compete with tentpole movies but saying fans run the industry when the general audience is the ons making money is funny.

Timbuktu

I do wonder where you would start off showing these movies to your kid in ten years. There are plenty of movies being made outside of Hollywood, it's not the be all end all, even if you thinking it leans to much towards juvenile tastes.

Jocks your turn is done the geeks rule.

Suck it

*puts glasses back on brim of nose*

If done correctly big epic sci-fi /comic franchises can be a great thing so long as they are suplimented with great story telling and other types of movies get a look in.

Or it could creatively bankrupt some big budget film making and saturate the market with drivel.

Still other companies will make there own films and genres people will watch them for their own merits.
Movies have been around for ages this is just a trend.
Nerds don't make a movie #1 at the box office. If these movie strictly appealed to nerds they'd all bomb like Scott Pilgrim.

caliph95

Nerds don't make a movie #1 at the box office. If these movie strictly appealed to nerds they'd all bomb like Scott Pilgrim.
Comics fans are happy if they even maintain 5 digits or even barely break into the 6 digits for their favourite books. There is no way these fans alone even with repeat viewings even push movies to the top of box offices charts let alone in the billion especially when Civil war sold amazing and requires the most continuity relatively to all if not most of the mcu movies. I don't think the "rest of us" are in big enough numbers

PillarEN

Personally don't care for building these universes. I'm definitely a Mr. Self Contained type of person, but I don't see it as a problem. I'm personally tired of it, but whatever. However reading the OP and seeing that something like this could happen for Bond? Kill me. I doubt the Bond audience would even care for something like that. That would probably fail at a universe attempt.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I dunno, everything that's happening is something I only dreamed about as a kid, so I couldn't be happier.

I like ongoing storytelling over self contained stuff (part of why I watch more shows than movies), and love reading wikis and shit to catch up on a complex world.

I think that most people very much enjoy these interconnected stories. Having to watch a couple films each year to get yourself up to speed isn't such a massive burden.

KillLaCam

Banned
I might still like super hero movies and more movies from Hollywood if everything wasn't interconnected universes with a billion sequels. I'm more annoyed that this stuff sells so well that it's spreading into types of movies. Everything doesnt have to be a universe or like comics.

I like shows having long stories over multiple seasons but I'd like most movies to have a complete story. Or atleast endings that aren't like "NEXT TIME ON THE AVENGERS, THOR LOSES HIS HAIR! WILL HE REGAIN HIS GLORY?"

I don't remember ever watching a sequel bait movie and thinking "this was an amazing movie". It's just they're gonna beat the bad guy them move on to the next one. You can't really have any tense moments in movies when you know they're trying to make a billion more sequels.

Fast and the Furious is the one that bothers me the most. They're never gonna end. Atleast the comic movies try, but these movies are just random nonsense

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Do people really feel they have to watch every one of them to be able to follow these movies?
Never felt like that at all. There are a couple of marvel movies I skipped based on disinterest and I didn't feel lost in the next one.
The majority of them are simple popcorn entertainment(which I personally find enjoyable) but I have a hard time seeing how people get lost even with half their brain off.

It's 2-3 movies a year, what a load of shit to the claim it's hard to follow.

On top of that you don't even need watch them all to keep up.

If you did want to catch up, you can watch all but the the latest few for dirt cheap.

entremet

Supply and demand at work. This is what people want right now. When it starts to fail, I'm sure Hollywood will pivot.

dabig2

Since it looks like comic movies are here to stay for awhile, I guess hot takes have shifted from "comic movies are a fad and will die out any day now" to "oh man I just can't keep up cause I have to watch everything to fully appreciate it like the nerds do".

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It doesn't seem to be stopping people from going to the theaters; revenues continue to rise. Interests once seen as "nerdy" and were stigmatized barely longer than a decade ago are now widely embraced - thanks largely to the fan-driven hype for these films.

I feel like the writer of this article came up with their conclusion first, one they snatched from thin air, and then began writing a narrative to support it.
The foot traffic isn't really, even Disney recognised this.

Since it looks like comic movies are here to stay for awhile, I guess hot takes have shifted from "comic movies are a fad and will die out any day now" to "oh man I just can't keep up cause I have to watch everything to fully appreciate it like the nerds do".

"I don't like and don't get it, therefore it must be complicated / different, and nobody can else can understand it". What's hard to get, lol.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
its not wrong though. As a guy who cant even tell whats marvel and whats DC, these movies have allready lost me. theres any new superhero movie coming out and im like, whatever, i wount even know whats going on half of the time, so why bother.

Top Bottom