• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fans Have Inherited the Film Industry — and It's a Problem for the Rest of Us

JCHandsom

It's not a complaint so much as it is an observation that yeah, watching Civil War it feels like you've actually missed out on a lot of stuff if you aren't following these films very closely. I haven't had that sensation with any of the other Marvel releases.

Plenty of people skipped Cap1 and Cap2......Civil War's worldwide box office is 3X as much as First Avenger, and nearly 2X as much as Winter Soldier.

People also rewatch films they really like. Also, movies do allusions to events or stories that happen outside the movie ALL THE TIME. James Bond does it, Indiana Jones does it, and everyone accepts that other adventures happen offscreen that they don't get to see. The only difference is that the MCU gives you the option to fully explore those side stories if you want to.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
My main problem with the MCU is that if you have only watched a few of those films over the years and want to get caught up on them...you have to spend a lot of money trying to catch up. I have had similar thoughts the author of the article has, but I don't think it's that big of an issue.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Deadpool really isn't though. It comes from Marvel and is a Fox property, but it also has nothing and will not have anything to do with the X-Men movies themselves [for the foreseeable future] despite the Colossus character (not the same) inclusion.

Guardians of the Galaxy could be taken as it's own thing, as it had nothing leading into it or outside content.

The Lego Batman Movie was its own superhero thing, even if loosely (from what I can tell) to The Lego Movie.

Original shows have also come out, though I can't speak to the quality.

Logan I can understand, as knowing how Logan was in his prime, his attitude that Xavier references, the X-Men, and who Xavier is both to himself and Logan are rather important to making the film work.

But I also find it off to talk about standalone superhero films and Nolan's Batman in the same breath as that was a trilogy than a one off piece, one that had references to Metropolis at the very least.

Nolan has said that Superman doesn't exist in his movies.

“I don’t think our Batman, our Gotham, lends itself to that kind of cross-fertilization. It goes back to one of the first things we wrangled with when we first started putting the story together: Is this a world in which comic books already exist? Is this a world in which superheroes already exist? If you think of “Batman Begins” and you think of the philosophy of this character trying to reinvent himself as a symbol, we took the position — we didn’t address it directly in the film, but we did take the position philosophically — that superheroes simply don’t exist. If they did, if Bruce knew of Superman or even of comic books, then that’s a completely different decision that he’s making when he puts on a costume in an attempt to become a symbol. It’s a paradox and a conundrum, but what we did is go back to the very original concept and idea of the character. In his first appearances, he invents himself as a totally original creation.” … “It’s a different universe. It’s a different way of looking at it. Now, it’s been done successfully, very successfully, in the comics so I don’t dispute it as an approach. It just isn’t the approach we took. We had to make a decision for Batman Begins.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/chris-nolan-says-superheroes-dont-exist-in-the-nolanverse/

Doesn't that say a lot about the storytelling impact of forcing all upcoming films into a universe where superheroes do exist? You're not allowed anymore to do what Nolan consciously did with his work.

I also don't care if standalone adaptations get sequels. That's an entirely different beast than forcing all superhero movies, including "new" character-based movies, to appear in one single universe, tone, etc.

Really? Marvel's films are too inaccessible?

There's a lot of fanservice, but aside from the big movies like the Avengers and Civil War I always found the plots fairly straightfoward and easy to understand even without having the entire comicbook industry memorized.

The Kree

Banned
I remember when people said these movies were too shallow to care about.

Now they're too much to keep up with. What a time to be alive.

LotusHD

Banned
It's not a complaint so much as it is an observation that yeah, watching Civil War it feels like you've actually missed out on a lot of stuff if you aren't following these films very closely. I haven't had that sensation with any of the other Marvel releases.

You wouldn't miss out on Falcon if you watched the 2nd movie in the trilogy though.

turtle553

I think a valid complaint is that studios are chasing films that are known quantities (sequels, adaptations, cinematic universes) and that comes at the expense of putting efforts into stand alone self contained films. There is a finite amount of money, actors, and theaters to concentrate on.

Look at the difference from 1996 to 2016. I count at least 14 unique films in the top 20 box office in 1996. Maybe 7 in 2016 depending on how you count adaptations from other sources. Obviously fans like it right now, but some more variety would be nice.

And of those 7, 5 are anumated or just CGI characters.

6tWXFAN.png
WUPlGFa.png

border

You wouldn't miss out on Falcon if you watched the 2nd movie in the trilogy though.

The idea that the older films are necessary viewing for the new films to be accessible is the thesis of the article itself. To say, "Well obviously you should have watched xxxx first!" is to pretty much agree to its point.

patapuf

I'm not the biggest fan of superhero movies being as popular as they are but i've never had trouble following one.

And I know little of the MCU and the DC equivalent and never read any superhero comics.

These are not complicated movies even if they are interconnected.

Also "too many sequels!"/big studios play it too safe!" has been a complaint since forever. Unique movies will always be an exception rather than the rule when it comes to blockbusters.

diunxx

lol what a stupid non-problem, just in the action/adventure department you have Baby Driver, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Dunkirk and Atomic Blonde coming this summer.

JCHandsom

The idea that the older films are necessary viewing for the new films to be accessible is the thesis of the article itself. To say, "Well obviously you should have watched xxxx first!" is to pretty much agree to its point.

That's how sequels work though

border

That's how sequels work though

Sequels in a franchise do not necessarily have to be interconnected.

You run into the problem here that Civil War is pretty much pitched and marketed as Avengers 3, and thus gets an Avengers-sized audience who may or may not be familiar with the events of Winter Soldier.

KHarvey16

I think a valid complaint is that studios are chasing films that are known quantities (sequels, adaptations, cinematic universes) and that comes at the expense of putting efforts into stand alone self contained films. There is a finite amount of money, actors, and theaters to concentrate on.

Look at the difference from 1996 to 2016. I count at least 14 unique films in the top 20 box office in 1996. Maybe 7 in 2016 depending on how you count adaptations from other sources. Obviously fans like it right now, but some more variety would be nice.

And of those 7, 5 are anumated or just CGI characters.

Why does domestic gross matter? That only shows what makes the most money. Look at film ratings or even just lists of released films.

Deadpool is a mixed case. It comes from Marvel and is a Fox property, but it also has nothing and will not have anything to do with the X-Men movies themselves [for the foreseeable future] despite the Colossus character (not the same) inclusion. A lot of the humor does rely a bit on X-Men properties and the Fox films, so that does tie it up in a different manner.

Guardians of the Galaxy could be taken as it's own thing if one really wanted to, as it had nothing leading into it or outside content. Guardians 2 also stays within just the GOTG stuff, so those two together could be enjoyed separately from the MCU.

The Lego Batman Movie was its own superhero thing, even if loosely (from what I can tell) to The Lego Movie.

Original shows have also come out, though I can't speak to the quality.

Logan I can understand, as knowing how Logan was in his prime, his attitude that Xavier references, the X-Men, and who Xavier is both to himself and Logan are rather important to making the film work.

But I also find it off to talk about standalone superhero films and Nolan's Batman in the same breath as that was a trilogy than a one off piece, one that had references to Metropolis at the very least.

Fox is planning on putting Deadpool in an X-Force movie. You can bet that's one of the 6 films they announced today. What are you talking about?

Plenty of people skipped Cap1 and Cap2......Civil War's worldwide box office is 3X as much as First Avenger, and nearly 2X as much as Winter Soldier.

It's a stupid observation, man. "People watching Cap 3 might not know who Falcon is…" He was in Cap 2. If they didn't watch that, their bad.

A lot of people watch these movies in between theater releases. We have easier access to media than ever before. That's how franchises grow. Always has been, even when we had to wait for VHS releases. Please. Try harder.

My main problem with the MCU is that if you have only watched a few of those films over the years and want to get caught up on them...you have to spend a lot of money trying to catch up. I have had similar thoughts the author of the article has, but I don't think it's that big of an issue.

In a world where a ton of people consume media illegally online, no, you don't. Especially when, in that same world, odds are these people are already paying for a subscription service or movie channel that will air the movies eventually.

What are we even doing here?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Nah, it counts. Changing the ending and some other stray details doesn't stop it from being the only live action superhero adaptation to faithfully adapt source material. It's about 80% identical to the book.
How does 300 compare to its source, though? Because that was also supposed to be a panel for shot adaptation.

LionPride

Banned
Yall just keep movin shit back to try and say that shit's hard to keep up with when it ain't

Also I'm still stuck on the butterbear argument in the article. Something that takes less than 3 seconds to look up on ya god damn phone. Do better damn

JCHandsom

You run into the problem here that Civil War is pretty much pitched and marketed as Avengers 3, and thus gets an Avengers-sized audience who may or may not be familiar with the events of Winter Soldier.

It's Captain America 3, of course they are going to reference stuff from Captain America 2. It's more than reasonable, it's common sense to expect that.

Yall just keep movin shit back to try and say that shit's hard to keep up with when it ain't

Also I'm still stuck on the butterbear argument in the article. Something that takes less than 3 seconds to look up on ya god damn phone. Do better damn

Like, Butterbeer isn't even a plot point. It's just something that exists in the universe. Not even Polyjuice potion. Fucking Butterbeer.

You're drunk.

LotusHD

Banned

They're referring to the connected universe though. Out of all the things to be confused about going into the 3rd Captain America film, one of them shouldn't be Falcon, a character that was prominently featured in the 2nd movie.

Or are we just gonna go ahead and throw in sequels/trilogies into the mix as well?

Considering the title starts with Captain America, whose fault is it if they don't recognize events from the previous films? Yes, Civil War does have stuff from other films, but again, at the very least, no one should be surprised that it builds off of the first two movies in the trilogy...

LionPride

Banned

What

No no no

What the hell did you just say

Kinyou

The geeks have inherited the Earth with the maneuvering of the studios, and together they’ve put up a wall between the corporate-designed fandom and everybody else. If the wall has to be there, I wish the door to get through wasn’t so frustratingly high — and getting higher every few months. There’s definitely a lot of us out here. So why does it feel so lonely?
Talk about being dramatic. Looking at the box office numbers I also have doubts that these movies are just for geeks.

kswiston

Not a superhero book!

(Also probably close to 80%. They added a whole political subplot that wasn't in the book iirc)

It's been a long time since I read 300, but I think the movie added more fantastical stuff as well.

Also, I just watched a 300 clip, and had no idea that McNulty was in it. He was invisible to me as an actor until The Wire I guess!

LionPride

Banned
I'd like to mention that in today's world people binge tv shows for 10 fuckin hours but we acting like someone won't watch a movie or two before seeing a sequel

kswiston

I'd like to mention that in today's world people binge tv shows for 10 fuckin hours but we acting like someone won't watch a movie or two before seeing a sequel

People are weirdly inconsistent with that sort of stuff. I know more than one person who binges shows, but will refuse to watch movies because "they are too big a time commitment"

louiedog

People are weirdly inconsistent with that sort of stuff. I know more than one person who binges shows, but will refuse to watch movies because "they are too big a time commitment"

Maybe they mean active time commitment. When a lot of people I know binge a show they've got their laptop/phone out because the pace is often much, much slower and you don't need to pay as much attention as with a movie to follow along.

Still silly.

LotusHD

Banned

Well, I'll admit that I have little to no patience when it comes to doing a movie marathon or some shit, but I can binge a TV show easily for some reason. Movies on the other hand, I'll stick to watching like one a day.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Why does the writer cite Wonder Woman as a positive, when she is going to be all up in what DC is setting up.

I feel like the writer would be complaining about Wonder Woman, just like the MCU, if they had to watch years from now, after a JL movie or two.

Get in on the ground floor, "This is great!"

Missed the boat, "This sucks!"

I think binging a show is easier than doing a movie marathon largely due to pacing.

42 minute serialized stories that (depending on what network they're made for) have a set structure determined by commercial (act) breaks are easier to roll with as one becomes two becomes four. There's a rhythm involved.

Movie marathons are two hour narratives that sometimes eschew solid structure, and even when they adhere to it, by necessity stretch out those acts and also those arcs.

(that's assuming that in both cases, the attention span is focused enough that the viewer is actually watching what's on the screen in front of them as opposed to just having it on in the room as they do other shit simultaneously)

LionPride

Banned
I think binging a show is easier than doing a movie marathon largely due to pacing.

42 minute serialized stories that (depending on what network they're made for) have a set structure determined by commercial (act) breaks are easier to roll with as one becomes two becomes four. There's a rhythm involved.

Movie marathons are two hour narratives that sometimes eschew solid structure, and even when they adhere to it, by necessity stretch out those acts and also those arcs.

(that's assuming that in both cases, the attention span is focused enough that the viewer is actually watching what's on the screen in front of them as opposed to just having it on in the room as they do other shit simultaneously)
I personally watch TV shows or movies while doing something else like being on my phone. But hell I've been just sittin and watchin movies in a row since I ain't workin right now. Been easier for me than binging tv because I can burn out on the show itself quickly ya know?

border

It's Captain America 3, of course they are going to reference stuff from Captain America 2. It's more than reasonable, it's common sense to expect that.

Or are we just gonna go ahead and throw in sequels/trilogies into the mix as well?

There are sequels, even Marvel sequels, that don't lean on continuity as much. The Iron Man films can pretty much stand alone once you're familiar with the hero's basic premise. Generally the model for most sequels is to try and fill in the gaps for new viewers, or tell 1-shot stories. Civil War's approach is notably different.

I am kinda curious to see how accessible they choose to make Thor Ragnarok. I skipped Thor 1 & 2, so it should be interesting haha.

LionPride

Banned
There are sequels, even Marvel sequels, that don't lean on continuity as much. The Iron Man films can pretty much stand alone once you're familiar with the hero's basic premise. Generally the model for most sequels is to try and fill in the gaps for new viewers, or tell 1-shot stories.

I am kinda curious to see how accessible they choose to make Thor Ragnarok. I skipped Thor 1 & 2, so it should be interesting haha.
Hell the trailers even kinda set it up

Thor doesn't know where the fuck Odin is, his hammer gets blown the fuck up, he ends up stranded on a gladiator planet, meets hulk there while fighting

Literally need no other knowledge tbh

kswiston

There are sequels, even Marvel sequels, that don't lean on continuity as much. The Iron Man films can pretty much stand alone once you're familiar with the hero's basic premise. Generally the model for most sequels is to try and fill in the gaps for new viewers, or tell 1-shot stories.

I might as well have skipped Thor 2 by this point. I can remember some broad strokes, but that film didn't make a very lasting impression.

LotusHD

Banned
The Thor movies are literally the only ones I never got around to finishing. They'd come on TV, but I always ended up tuning them out, even moreso after learning that the consensus is they're mediocre. The first one in particular for me is funny; somehow over the years I've seen like 2/3rds of it, but not the entire thing. Thor 3 is the first time where I'm legitimately interested.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Alright I'll admit it. I just want all of the top grossing movies to be based on memes. Sorry guys. I just love memes and hate spiders and men.

The only Marvel movie I struggled with in terms of plot continuity was Civil War. It leans very heavily on previous films.

But just about all of the other ones I've seen were relatively standalone. It's not like it takes a film studies major to understand who the characters are in Thor 2: The Dark World. Sure, you're filling in some gaps in your brain, but it's rarely central to the plot anyway.

I did chuckle at the article wanting to have its cake and eat it too, complaining that these films leave viewers lost when they haven't seen them all but also complaining that they're all the same film underneath.

Nairume

Banned
14 unique films is actually off, given your count probably doesn't account for Ransom and Birdcage both being remakes. Though, actually breaking the two lists down:

Remakes (4)
101 Dalmations
Ransom
The Birdcage
The Nutty Professor

Franchise (3)
Mission Impossible
Space Jam
Star Trek: First Contact

Adaptations (4)
A Time to Kill
The English Patient
The First Wives' Club
The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Original (9)
Broken Arrow
Eraser
Independence Day
Jerry Maguire
Michael
Phenomenon
Scream
The Rock
Twister

Remake (1)
The Jungle Book

Franchise (12)
Batman v Superman
Captain America: Civil War
Deadpool
Dr. Strange
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Finding Dory
Jason Borne
Kung-Fu Panda 3
Rogue One
Star Trek Beyond
Suicide Squad
X-Men Apocalypse

Adaptation (2)
Hidden Figures
Trolls

Original (5)
La La Land
Moana
Sing
The Secret Life of Pets
Zootopia

Mind Space Jam as franchise and Trolls as adaptation is admittedly a tad bit arbitrary, but I'd argue for those being the cases as Space Jams ties into Looney Toons as an existing film property, while Trolls was largely just a toy line that briefly dabbled with TV in the past. Moana also technically adapts existing mythology, but otherwise tells an original story (compared to the Disney movie of 1996 being a loose but otherwise direct adaptation of a book).

So, yes, franchise movies in 2016 definitely own the box office compared to 1996, but it's not like 1996 was a bastion of originality, given it had more remakes and adaptations. Furthermore, when breaking down the actual original films between the two, you end up seeing that half of the original movies of that 1996 were the kind of big dumb blockbusters that aren't the sort of art house films that people are whining about franchise films edging out, while two John Travolta fantasy films. Meanwhile, of 2016's "original" films, yeah, most of them are kids films, but you do get significantly less overlap between them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
There are sequels, even Marvel sequels, that don't lean on continuity as much. The Iron Man films can pretty much stand alone once you're familiar with the hero's basic premise. Generally the model for most sequels is to try and fill in the gaps for new viewers, or tell 1-shot stories. Civil War's approach is notably different.

It's interesting to see.

As you said, The Ironman films are heavily stand alone. 1, 2 and 3 don't really intersect much at all. Some references and returning characters, but it's not the same villains, plot points, etc.

While Capt films are heavily reliant on the previous. With Capt 3 being Avengers 2.5 and the sequel to Capt 2. You're missing a hell of a lot jumping into Capt 2 without 1, and Capt 3 without Avengers and Capt 1/2.

Thor is definitely closer to Ironman, though since Loki is so prominent. It helps more to have a passing knowledge in comparison to Ironman, where the biggest take away would have been Pepper from previous, who doesn't really have much to do with the story at all as a whole.

kswiston

A feature film follow up to Space Jam in 2017 would have 3D/CG Looney Toons characters. Search your hearts. You know it's true.

turtle553

14 unique films is actually off, given your count probably doesn't account for Ransom and Birdcage both being remakes. Though, actually breaking the two lists down:

Snip

Mind Space Jam as franchise and Trolls as adaptation is admittedly a tad bit arbitrary, but I'd argue for those being the cases as Space Jams ties into Looney Toons as an existing film property, while Trolls was largely just a toy line that briefly dabbled with TV in the past. Moana also technically adapts existing mythology, but otherwise tells an original story (compared to the Disney movie of 1996 being a loose but otherwise direct adaptation of a book).

So, yes, franchise movies in 2016 definitely own the box office compared to 1996, but it's not like 1996 was a bastion of originality, given it had more remakes and adaptations. Furthermore, when breaking down the actual original films between the two, you end up seeing that half of the original movies of that 1996 were the kind of big dumb blockbusters that aren't the sort of art house films that people are whining about franchise films edging out, while two John Travolta fantasy films. Meanwhile, of 2016's "original" films, yeah, most of them are kids films, but you do get significantly less overlap between them.

I counted adaptations as original just because it is still a self contained story. But it's still a greater variety I feel 20 years ago compared to now for popular movies. Of course theres the whole chicken and the egg to why these are popular if it's because that's what people want or people go because that's what is made.

Top Bottom