• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Hours of Titanfall Out Now - Titanfall Almost Never Happened

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
How many has he made?

I think I've done around 15-20 total. 4 apps, but a ton of GameSpot back in the day like Final Hours of Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, Black & White, Quake 3 Arena and others I'm forgetting now. The older GameSpot ones are hard to find, but I'm hopeful I can eventually remaster them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sony hasn't been doing well financially.

I wonder if part of the reason they didn't try to woo Titanfall is because they were trying to get in good with Destiny. There seems to be some emphasis on Bungies part of Destiny coming to PS4.

Nice Steam tags...

Clipboard01.jpg

Still disagree with these things ever being sold.

MercuryLS

Banned

I wonder if part of the reason they didn't try to woo Titanfall is because they were trying to get in good with Destiny. There seems to be some emphasis on Bungies part of Destiny coming to PS4.

Titanfall wasn't a proven IP even though the team had a great pedigree it was far from a sure thing. Same could be said for Destiny, but Destiny was made by Bungie who made Halo which got Xbox off the ground. The whole co-marketing thing for Destiny is to push Xbox owners that are thinking of switching over the edge, as many of them stuck to Xbox due to Bungie's games. Whether that works or not, who knows, but it's obvious to me that it's a very calculated move on Sony's part.

The last bit is the reason why EA is getting out of the partners program.

It's financially too difficult when the partners are asking for more than EA wants to help with.

Obscured

This is the kind of stuff I really want to see more of. I wish there could be this information out there during projects, but understand why that isn't the case. Really interesting to hear the back story versus what pops up on forums through assumption and conjecture.

I might have to pick some if these up. Would love a final hours for all the consoles as well.

It really is a great story, but the real future of games journalism is (hopefully) a wide variety of awesome content both free and paid. This type of longform work is fantastic, and I'd love to see more of it, but it supplements the stuff we have already. It won't replace anything.

It is sad that it won't replace anything, because as it stands I find 95% of video game reporting to be of little worth. No offense, but go look at Kotaku right now: posts about legos, marshmallow peeps, dumb mashups, a Star Wars funeral, dating advice for asking out female Gamestop employees, etc Other sites are no better. The first 20 stories on joystiq this evening are little more than slightly reworded press releases.

The amount of garbage that junks up your site makes it nearly impossible to actually find compelling stories that may exist. If sites like yours are the future of games journalism then I need to find a new hobby to read about. This industry needs a viable model for quality long form journalism, and alot less of the bullshit assembly line gaming blogs.

antitrop

outunderthestar's post is ether. The front page of Kotaku right now is as embarrassing as he says.

Schreier is better than that site.

Jomjom

Banned
And you're going to take a carefully manicured news piece as gospel/at face value?

Does this mean that this story is really just Respawn's side of it? Not really a documentary if no one at Sony, MS, EA, or West himself were interviewed. Obviously Respawn's view of it is going to put it in the light most favorable to itself.

outunderthestar's post is ether. The front page of Kotaku right now is as embarrassing as he says.

Schreier is better than that site.

On this I totally agree. I just wish we could find a viable business model to allow people like him to actually write compelling longform content.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Does this mean that this story is really just Respawn's side of it? Not really a documentary if no one at Sony, MS, EA, or West himself were interviewed. Obviously Respawn's view of it is going to put it in the light most favorable to itself.

Er, you really need to read it. The last thing I would call this article is favorable to Respawn until the end when they were able to ship TF. It was barely a game dev company most of the time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Why is that, exactly? What is the fundamental difference between a digital copy of Game Informer selling for $5 and this smaller digital magazine/longform selling for $2?

edit: gah sorry for the double post

Reading this now. Fascinating stuff. Giving me a weird pride that Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, my first WWII Shooter that I played the HELL out of back in the day, was developed in Tulsa, where I live :)

Now if only another big game would be made here so I could work on audio and music for it...

Interesting stuff. I'm really glad this game got made.

As for the 'we're so sorry' stuff, isn't that from a guy who would have had zero presence at any said meeting? Not only would it be his interpretation, it would be his interpretation of someone (presumably) with knowledge's interpretation. I never put any stock into it.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Nice Steam tags...

Clipboard01.jpg

Would love to understand your POV on this a bit more. These apps cost me quite a bit of money to make/produce, and that's not even accounting for my own time. I try to keep the cost as low as possible, I would hope $1.99 is a reasonable value for what you get. But if you disagree I'd love to hear why.

People complaining about the app/story probably haven't read it. It's not just a piece of marketing collateral, there is a lot of very real and honest stuff in there from the developers.

How do you get this on Android? I've got a nexus 7... Can't find it in the play store. Any link?

Err. Just saw it. Thanks!

Bought. Very interested in this and a breath of fresh air for video game writing. This is the proper analogue to the NYTimes Review of Books or the national review (the book review sections). Well done so far.

It is sad that it won't replace anything, because as it stands I find 95% of video game reporting to be of little worth. No offense, but go look at Kotaku right now: posts about legos, marshmallow peeps, dumb mashups, a Star Wars funeral, dating advice for asking out female Gamestop employees, etc Other sites are no better. The first 20 stories on joystiq this evening are little more than slightly reworded press releases.

The amount of garbage that junks up your site makes it nearly impossible to actually find compelling stories that may exist. If sites like yours are the future of games journalism then I need to find a new hobby to read about. This industry needs a viable model for quality long form journalism, and alot less of the bullshit assembly line gaming blogs.
What you describe isn't just happening to video games, it's happening to almost every hobbyist journalism outlet on the Internet as the business model dependent on Internet advertising basically requires getting lots of daily page clicks with massive numbers of short, easily digestible blog posts. It has a lot to do with the short attention span and surfing habits of the average Internet consumer of news.

TheCloser

Banned
Would love to understand your POV on this a bit more. These apps cost me quite a bit of money to make/produce, and that's not even accounting for my own time. I try to keep the cost as low as possible, I would hope $1.99 is a reasonable value for what you get. But if you disagree I'd love to hear why.

People complaining about the app/story probably haven't read it. It's not just a piece of marketing collateral, there is a lot of very real and honest stuff in there from the developers.

I usually don't agree with you but i purchased it on steam and it was worth it. The piece is worth it. It was very well done and it was a good read. I got 45 minutes of entertainment from it which was good. Well worth it in my opinion. The only problem is that you can get a whole magazine for slightly more.

It reminds me of the Kindle Singles: long form pieces that are too large for a magazine feature, but not long enough to be a standalone book.

This is the kind of stuff I really want to see more of. I wish there could be this information out there during projects, but understand why that isn't the case. Really interesting to hear the back story versus what pops up on forums through assumption and conjecture.

I might have to pick some if these up. Would love a final hours for all the consoles as well.

Same here! I get so tired of the news/opinion articles on gaming sites. Long form pieces like this are what I really enjoy. Major major props to Geoff and his hard work. This looks like it was a crazy project so I hope he enjoyed working on it. $1.99 very well spent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the reality is that someone either needs to do true paid journalism or they have to live with clickbait blog posts in order to generate ad revenue. I don't think a subscriber-based print game journalism site is tenable, since really the notable people charging for content is Giantbomb and that's all video/podcast content.

On this I totally agree. I just wish we could find a viable business model to allow people like him to actually write compelling longform content.

The viable business model right now is posting clickbait/sensationalist articles that generate the traffic you need for advertising, and using that money to do longform content. If you don't that, you're only other option is to out and out pay for longform content, either like this or by subscribing to a website like you would a magazine. And honestly, I don't think we're going to do better than that anytime in the near future.

Either way, Destiny is the better bet.

cackhyena

I hadn't heard of this stuff till today. Got the Portal 2 one to start and it's great. Gonna get all of them. Hopefully he keeps on making these.

Guess Who

Banned
If you genuinely believe that a well-researched, incredibly detailed, 25,000-word longform piece about the development of one of the year's biggest games isn't worth $1.99, congratulations, you're the reason we don't get more work like this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
please paypal me 10cents pls. paypal gift only...don't want any service charges
I just find it kind of amusing how the CAGCast is basically "what games has CheapyD downloaded off of Shipwreck's account this week" now. But way off topic. lol

I wonder if MS ever gets it's investment back from TitanFall. I am not totally sure how well it's doing but it doesn't seem to be a second coming of Christ for XBone MS hoped it would be.

I wonder if MS ever gets it's investment back from TitanFall. I am not totally sure how well it's doing but it doesn't seem to be a second coming of Christ for XBone MS hoped it would be.
we will partially find out tomorrow with the NPD results. However, I remember reading something that each Xbox 360 customer was worth several thousand dollars over the lifetime of the system. So even if they added an extra hundred thousand units, that could be several hundred million dollars easy.I think for them, this is a long term investment.

God dammit, Sony. I wanted this game on my PS4, not Indie Game #1241. They made the same huge mistake with SC Conviction and Super Met Boy. Hope they have learned something.

You dont think Respawn and EA would want a 80.000.000+ userbase on PS3 to have a cance to purchase their game?

I am sorry, but that makes zero sense, none.
Just like your previous post. If MS is funding, then why in heaven's name would they allow to outsource a game version for its rival console?

Nice Steam tags...

Clipboard01.jpg

It sucks that this is getting dismissed as just marketing/shilling by some people. Little things like "what Titan are you?" kind of stood out as that, yeah, but I thought it was pretty unobtrusive. The actual writing gives some pretty great insight that can be unflattering to Respawn, and the photos/videos are pretty interesting if you're into behind-the-scenes stuff. $1.99 for a really nicely presented 25K words (or whatever it was) isn't too much to ask for, I don't think.

Bsigg12

A fantastic read. It is insane seeing all the shit they went through to actually put out a game, and a great one at that. Seeing the videos of the prototypes was reslly interesting. The game running in the Ratchet and Clank engine was so odd and the single player stuff was so weird to see. Great job Geoff, it was well written.

I'm really excited to see where Respawn takes Titanfall now that they don't have massive legal issues looming over them and have solid direction.

Vire

This is a fantastic read, really well put together.

I'd kill for one of these on The Last of Us. Good work Geoff.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
This is a fantastic read, really well put together.

I'd kill for one of these on The Last of Us. Good work Geoff.

I really wanted to do one for Last of Us, as did Neil and Bruce. The June ship date was tough with my schedule (right around E3). They did do a cool documentary around development if you haven't seen it.

Top Bottom