• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The fire of PROMETHEUS has been stolen and leaked to us mortals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

I'm a pretty big Alien fan and I can't make heads or tails of what the hell this screenshot is.

That is the ship Dallas, Kane, and Lambert find and wander into in Alien. Except not crashed, but the trailer also more or less shows that happening.

That is the ship Dallas, Kane, and Lambert find and wander into in Alien. Except not crashed, but the trailer also more or less shows that happening.

Confused. But I thought it had crashed.

Also, I cant remember, but in Alien, was Ripleys team the first humans on LV 426?

gabbo

Also, I cant remember, but in Alien, was Ripleys team the first humans on LV 426?

In the picture that shadyspace quoted, I took the dark area behind/around the ship to be 'outer space'. I could be wrong and it crashed vertically, and that is soil/dirt.
Obviously not. The team in Prometheus might have been expunged from the records so a certain company could bring back some of the treasure with less paperwork.

Bourne? You wish, Jason. don't worry, Ive reserved a spot on Team 007 for you after the dust settles.

It's Tony Gilroy. Plus, you have Robert Elswit doing the cinematography (There Will Be Blood, Michael Clayton, Magnolia), and James Newton Howard doing the score. You can't go wrong.

Javier Bardem is in Skyfall. That already makes it insta-fail.

It's Tony Gilroy. Plus, you have Robert Elswit doing the cinematography (There Will Be Blood, Michael Clayton, Magnolia), and James Newton Howard doing the score. You can't go wrong.

Javier Bardem is in Skyfall. That already makes it insta-fail.

Oh, we need a Bourne/Bond Garbage thread.

Bourne will make up most of the garbage. Ba-ding!!

alphaNoid

Banned

The ship appears intact in some shots in the trailer, the same-type ship we saw crashed in Alien and Aliens on LV-426. However near the end of the trailer you can see what look like that ship crashing.

I think one of the humans set off the beacon before the ship crashes. Prometheus will end with a shot of the crashed ship, and the beacon live. That leads to decades later when the Notromo is sent to check on that signal and Alien begins. I feel that will be the only clear and present link between the movies. There will be other links, but just universe ties, artwork and places. But I feel the ship, the beacon will be the bridge between Prometheus and Alien.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

It's going to depend a bit on whether Tony Gilroy gave a shit while writing the script.

gabbo

I think one of the humans set off the beacon before the ship crashes. Prometheus will end with a shot of the crashed ship, and the beacon live. That leads to decades later when the Notromo is sent to check on that signal and Alien begins. I feel that will be the only clear and present link between the movies. There will be other links, but just universe ties, artwork and places. But I feel the ship, the beacon will be the bridge between Prometheus and Alien.

I've been saying that since the early days of the now-closed Prometheus thread, and people have been scoffing at me. Though I have my own theories about where the beacon itself is located.

In the picture that shadyspace quoted, I took the dark area behind/around the ship to be 'outer space'. I could be wrong and it crashed vertically, and that is soil/dirt.
Obviously not. The team in Prometheus might have been expunged from the records so a certain company could bring back some of the treasure with less paperwork.

Thats cheating and bad writing if true.

The ship appears intact in some shots in the trailer, the same-type ship we saw crashed in Alien and Aliens on LV-426. However near the end of the trailer you can see what look like that ship crashing.

Hmm, do we have any indication from the trailer that the humans were
onboard the alien ship at any point before the crash? Couldn't it be just as possible that the ship crashes earlier on/halfway through the movie and they have to search it?
There's no telling how far apart Prometheus could take place before Alien.

gabbo

Well I don't know that it's true, like everything else I have with this film, it's only a possible theory. I'm just saying, as of the first Alien, it was basically uncharted and the company knew about the signal, so it fits.

It's going to depend a bit on whether Tony Gilroy gave a shit while writing the script.

Considering he's the director this time and isn't clashing with another director like he did with Liman and Greengrass when it came to the script, I think it'll be fine. They've kept the script locked down. No leaks, not much info really, and the movie is done shooting in February.

gabbo

Hmm, do we have any indication from the trailer that the humans were
onboard the alien ship at any point before the crash? Couldn't it be just as possible that the ship crashes earlier on/halfway through the movie and they have to search it?
There's no telling how far apart Prometheus could take place before Alien.

I actually disagree with him on that point as well. My theory was just that
someone from the Prometheus crew sets/turns on the beacon the Nostromo is sent to find, but not before the ship hits the planet.

Yet very characteristic of an evil megacompany. Even in Alien, it was clear the company knew that something worth having was on that planet.

I forget, are there even other alien races (besides the xenomorphs and Jockey) in the Alien(s) universe? Are any of them even sentient, or is it just Earthlings running the galaxy?

gabbo

Yet very characteristic of an evil megacompany. Even in Alien, it was clear the company knew that something worth having was on that planet.

I forget, are there even other alien races (besides the xenomorphs and Jockey) in the Alien(s) universe? Are any of them even sentient, or is it just Earthlings running the galaxy?

In Alien we aren't told of any other species besides the three we see in the film (depending on what Space Jockeys actually are). It's not until the marines in Aliens start reminiscing about Arcturian poontang that the series brings it up, and then doesn't really mention it again.

Angry Fork

I feel bad that I don't know/remember most of the terms/background mythology people are throwing around so I can't feel as emotionally attached to the trailer.

I don't know what space jockey ship people are talking about, or any allusions made to the first Alien. I haven't watched it in a LONG time so I can't remember much. I guess I'll have to re-watch and then I can hop on board.

gabbo

I feel bad that I don't know/remember most of the terms/background mythology people are throwing around so I can't feel as emotionally attached to the trailer.

I don't know what space jockey ship people are talking about, or any allusions made to the first Alien. I haven't watched it in a LONG time so I can't remember much. I guess I'll have to re-watch and then I can hop on board.

Space Jockey ship = the ship the Nostromo crew finds in Alien, in which the facehugger attaches itself to Kane.

Nah, dunno about this movie. I don't really like the horror genre in a science fiction way.
But I guess is good stuff for Alien fans.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Man. Just watching the trailer again. With that blade runner ending theme running over it.
Oh god. so good.

So if the space jockeys are just bigger humans, does that mean they chestburst giant xenos?

main thing I've been thinking about.

If standard 'human' (i.e. us) DNA produces the horrifying xenomorph we see in Alien (and Aliens), what in the fuck would come from a space jockey and its DNA? :{

I'm also interested in what exactly are in the ampoules.
We already know the derelict jockey craft was housing hundreds/thousands of facehugger eggs... but I'm really curious to see what's in the more 'manufactured' looking ampoule containers.

Stet

Banned
main thing I've been thinking about.

If standard 'human' (i.e. us) DNA produces the horrifying xenomorph we see in Alien (and Aliens), what in the fuck would come from a space jockey and its DNA? :{

I'm also interested in what exactly are in the ampoules.
We already know the derelict jockey craft was housing hundreds/thousands of facehugger eggs... but I'm really curious to see what's in the more 'manufactured' looking ampoule containers.

I've always wondered what happened to the xeno that burst out of the original Space Jockey.

I'm going to be very upset if the SJ just turns out to be some kind of Humanoid ancestor of us. I am hoping they turn out to be as menacing as the xenomorphs. Ever since the reveal of it in Alien it seemed so freakish. They at least need to retain the size of it, since that is a big part of what makes it horrific. And the Scott quote saying its a suit? I mean yeah I guess parts of it look like a suit and the "nose" or "hose" always confused me. But damnit it better be some nasty looking creature and not just like a human.

FStop7

Banned
I'm not going to lie, I'll be a bit miffed if the Space Jockey is just a suit after all the Aliens comics I devoured during my teens.

I guess that Ridley Scott has the prerogative to change that as he pleases, being the creator of the franchise and what not, but still.

I think everything to do with the space jockeys boils down to 'biomechanical'. What a 'suit' is for them is not what it is for us. That's my guess.

Solo

Tomorrow-Earth Time
Yesterday-Solo Time

carusofuckyou2rr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom