• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

About the guy pictured;

David has always been a 'speed freak' having owned many superbikes and performance cars and follows Formula 1, MotoGP and Superbikes. He is also a member of a local rugby club, albeit on a more 'social' level these days and regularly visits Twickenham Stadium.

Sounds a little convenient.

Also, looking through their past news stories on their site, the article about the F1 sale is the only breaking news story about a sale of goods, from what I can see. It looks quite out of place.

It could just be that "The Sheriff's Office" is a shitty company looking for some attention and they're milking the F1 stuff because they can spin it as a big bounty. When they say they have tyres, for example, there's not gonna be very many since Pirelli are the ones that keep and transport them.

I'd wait for more news before wringing your hands.

Ark

Why would the new owners of Caterham buy the team if they had debt to this level? Doesn't seem quite so clear.

Also, looking through their past news stories on their site, the article about the F1 sale is the only breaking news story about a sale of goods, from what I can see. It looks quite out of place.

Aye, could just be that he's a massive fan and thought he'd crow about being involved though.

That said, I'm still erring on "bullshit" for that.

PitLaneTalk ‏@pitlanetalk 3m3 minutes ago
Honda's Yasuhisa Arai says they're still undecided on their 2015 line-up. Our sources say they want Vettel to partner Alonso. #F1

Lol, they must've read that Eddie Jordan piece.

Alonso will stay at Ferrari.

Gruso

Dropping Kmag a year after Checo's cameo would make the RBR young driver program look like a retirement village. I'll lose a lot of respect for McLaren if that happens (which I'm sure will hurt their feelings). But I also want to see Button doing at least the first year of the Honda partnership. So I'm torn.

A straight Alonso/Vettel seat swap would be much more interesting, and in a way, healthier for the sport.

Dropping Kmag a year after Checo's cameo would make the RBR young driver program look like a retirement village. I'll lose a lot of respect for McLaren if that happens (which I'm sure will hurt their feelings). But I also want to see Button doing at least the first year of the Honda partnership. So I'm torn.

A straight Alonso/Vettel seat swap would be much more interesting, and in a way, healthier for the sport.

Magnussen hasn't lit the world on fire. Ultimately, I think it's McLaren's fault. Kid got promoted way too quickly. Keeping Perez for another year and having Magnussen at Force India would have been a better plan,

Maybe McLaren was caught in the hype at the Young Driver test in Abu Dhabi last year, but it was always going to be risky to promote him directly to the main team. And then the comparisons with Hamilton after the first race...

Lastly, Alonso and Vettel in the same team is actually much, much healthier for the sport. People want to be able to benchmark Vettel and Alonso. It would be the ultimate showdown and would either legitimise (i) Vettel's 4 WDCs or (ii) Alonso's mind games about Vettel not being the best and flattered by his machinery. Pitting them against each other would be HUGE for the sport. We are still talking about 2007...

Shaneus

Magnussen hasn't lit the world on fire. Ultimately, I think it's McLaren's fault. Kid got promoted way too quickly. Keeping Perez for another year and having Magnussen at Force India would have been a better plan,

Maybe McLaren was caught in the hype at the Young Driver test in Abu Dhabi last year, but it was always going to be risky to promote him directly to the main team. And then the comparisons with Hamilton after the first race...
Even Danny Ricky spent a good few years simmering before bringing him up to the big leagues. That half season in HRT and however many seasons in STR did him a world of good, IMO. Didn't help Checo much, but that wasn't so much a young driver thing as a rash decision thing.

But bringing someone like K-Mag in that quickly to a top-tier (kinda) team was almost always going to be trouble. Ideally, if Alonso rumours are true, they should go an Alonso/Hulk combo. Give the other Nico the chance he deserves, plus give McLaren a bit more of a future beyond Alonso's limited years.

I just want Hulk to have a decent shot :/

Lastly, Alonso and Vettel in the same team is actually much, much healthier for the sport. People want to be able to benchmark Vettel and Alonso. It would be the ultimate showdown and would either legitimise (i) Vettel's 4 WDCs or (ii) Alonso's mind games about Vettel not being the best and flattered by his machinery. Pitting them against each other would be HUGE for the sport. We are still talking about 2007...
Don't we know about (ii) with how Vettel has gone this year?

You could bet on him upping his game to fight that particular battle.

I still say people are reading too much into Vettel this year. I think he accepted early on that he didn't have a chance at the title (especially with all the car failures) and just wrote the season off.

Gruso

Definitely. But McLaren took the punt, and I think it would be really shitty not to give him a second season. I want a sport where drivers have a little time to develop, not one where drivers are disposable because they're not the second coming of Lewis.

Good point. And TBH I wouldn't really want to see Ricciardo up against Alonso next year.

You could bet on him upping his game to fight that particular battle.

I still say people are reading too much into Vettel this year. I think he accepted early on that he didn't have a chance at the title (especially with all the car failures) and just wrote the season off.

Vettel wouldn't jeopardize his legacy on purpose.

Definitely. But McLaren took the punt, and I think it would be really shitty not to give him a second season. I want a sport where drivers have a little time to develop, not one where drivers are disposable because they're not the second coming of Lewis.

Good point. And TBH I wouldn't really want to see Ricciardo up against Alonso next year.

Issue with Magnussen is that, above the lack of consistency and poor racecraft, he has not shown flashes of "exceptional" raw pace.

Even Danny Ricky spent a good few years simmering before bringing him up to the big leagues. That half season in HRT and however many seasons in STR did him a world of good, IMO. Didn't help Checo much, but that wasn't so much a young driver thing as a rash decision thing.

But bringing someone like K-Mag in that quickly to a top-tier (kinda) team was almost always going to be trouble. Ideally, if Alonso rumours are true, they should go an Alonso/Hulk combo. Give the other Nico the chance he deserves, plus give McLaren a bit more of a future beyond Alonso's limited years.

I just want Hulk to have a decent shot :/

Not sure with team principals are not sold on Hulk. Do they know something we don't?

I think Hulk has a high ceiling, but does not achieve that ceiling on a consistent enough basis. For instance, on one hand, he impresses everyone with races like Korea 2013, and on the other, he allows Perez to destroy him.

Vettel wouldn't jeopardize his legacy on purpose.

I don't think he's even seeing it that way. People have disagreed with me on it, but his whole demeanour tells me that's he's checked out. He doesn't even get that pissed off about car failures any more.

Mastah

That can't be legit can it?

About the guy pictured;

Sounds a little convenient.

It could just be that "The Sheriff's Office" is a shitty company looking for some attention and they're milking the F1 stuff because they can spin it as a big bounty. When they say they have tyres, for example, there's not gonna be very many since Pirelli are the ones that keep and transport them.

I'd wait for more news before wringing your hands.

Well, it was quoted by The Telegraph, Reuters or James Allen, so... who knows.

By6VPaaIMAEs8rf.jpg:orig

And it's only Thursday. As usual, crazy, crazy fans.

yami4ct

I love F1. I really do. But you won't find me sitting in a grandstand on Thursday, watching the teams unpack.

Edit: the weather looks to be dry for qualifying and wet for race.

Wet race? Yay! Love the tyre strategy of a wet race. Seems like the rains been threatening some of the past few races, but has never hit. Hopefully we get one this time around. They're a fun change.

The Caterham news has been pretty nuts. Will be fascinating to see if they show up on the grid this weekend. Would be really sad to see KK miss his home race over some silly business going on with his team.

Business

I don't think he's even seeing it that way. People have disagreed with me on it, but his whole demeanour tells me that's he's checked out. He doesn't even get that pissed off about car failures any more.

I disagree too. Nobody will waste their reputation on purpose, their status, their profesionalism and their future contracts inside and outside F1 because "I can't be bothered anymore since I can't win this year". Vettel is doing as good as he can, like everybody else.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Weather forcing change to GP schedule?

Tobias Grüner F1 @tgruener · 22 minutes ago
#F1 FIA will discuss with Ecclestone to start #Suzuka race earlier because of typhoon threat. Early darkness could become a problem.

Lach

Why does the commercial rights holder get a say? It should be up to the race officials and the FIA.

I guess they would run into problems with the tv stations. Though running earlier would not be as big of a problem than postponing. They could just air it in the reserved slot, but obviously couldn't call it "live".

Dead Man

I guess they would run into problems with the tv stations. Though running earlier would not be as big of a problem than postponing. They could just air it in the reserved slot, but obviously couldn't call it "live".

It is.

But you still need to talk to the guy in charge of handing out licenses to TV broadcasters.

Bah, he should be notified after the discussion. Hell, he shouldn't be notified at all, all he is is a reseller of somebody elses product to companies that can't buy direct from the FIA/Teams because of the way he set up the sport.

/angry futile rant.

kiyomi

Well, we don't know that isn't what happened. It could be that they're fairly certain they want to change the time of the race and so they brought Mr. E in to say "hey, we're gonna need to tell the broadcasters to change their slots", and then FOM will have to do their thing to make sure everyone is prepared for any possible change in the race time.

Anyway - I think it's good they're considering changing the time of the race before it's too late. In the past F1 has been guilty of letting the weather ruin races when it was completely avoidable.

Dead Man

Well, we don't know that isn't what happened. It could be that they're fairly certain they want to change the time of the race and so they brought Mr. E in to say "hey, we're gonna need to tell the broadcasters to change their slots", and then FOM will have to do their thing to make sure everyone is prepared for any possible change in the race time.

Anyway - I think it's good they're considering changing the time of the race before it's too late. In the past F1 has been guilty of letting the weather ruin races when it was completely avoidable.
Yeah, quite possible. Any mention of that evil little fucker just sets me off, apologies.

Mastah

"I always put the interest of the team and the interest of the tifosi - this big brand Ferrari that is bigger than all of us - in front of my own interest," he said.

"So if there is something to talk about in the future and something better for Ferrari, I will do whatever."

When asked directly if he could rule out racing for McLaren or Red Bull over the next two years, he responded: "This is a very difficult question to answer. And I will repeat the answer, probably I will do the best for Ferrari."

"At the end of the day you have an idea in your mind and my mind is already set probably," he said.

"I've been extremely lucky to be able to choose where I drive in Formula 1, which is not normal.

"You arrive wherever you can, and you move teams where you have the possibility, or we see many examples, also this year, of drivers who will probably not be here next year and they are doing a very good job.

"So I have been extremely lucky to choose my own future and I will do my best, but together with Ferrari, taking the minimum risk."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116119

Also, on Ferrari's Twitter there's not a single tweet about Alonso since Singapore. Preview quotes, video preview - only with Kimi. The same on Ferrari website - http://formula1.ferrari.com/news.

Something is indeed happening.

Maybe Alonso signing depends on this Ron Dennis story? Eddie Jordan mentioned a possible management change and the rumours say Dennis will be out if he doesn't come up with the new investment he promised when he forced Whitmarsh out, he has until the end of October to show them the money.

It seems his Chinese mates have failed to cough up the £100m plus that was mentioned during the reports of him regaining control of the team last year.

James Allen

"The McLaren picture is complicated by the position of Ron Dennis. Although McLaren has strenuously denied today that Dennis is set to be replaced by Gerhard Berger as team boss, there is some truth to the background story that Dennis’ return to the helm in place of Martin Whitmarsh was linked to a deal with the Bahraini shareholders and required Dennis to find significant new funding for the team, which he has failed to do."

RIP Ron.

Ron out, Alonso in.

Mastah

James Allen:

It is looking like the end of the road for Fernando Alonso and Ferrari after five years of rocky marriage. The Spaniard has been told by the new Ferrari management that he can leave and well placed sources say that unless there is an 11th hour change of heart the clamorous split will happen.

Alonso has been frustrated in his five years at Ferrari not to have had a car capable of winning the world title, even though he came close in 2010 and 2012, losing out both times to Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull. He looked around in the summer of 2013 and received the famous “ear tweak” from then chairman Luca di Montezemolo, but with Ferrari now at a crossroads with Sergio Marchionne taking over from Montezemolo, there are forces within Ferrari who want to see the back of Alonso and make a fresh start.

Understandably Alonso has made requests and demands, but the noises coming from Maranello is that these are not reasonable and the disillusion has grown on both sides over the Summer and Autumn to the jump off point where they now stand

and more http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/...or-divorce-who-will-the-scuderia-go-for-next/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom