• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2019 | Whine Inside, Don't Flood The Forum

Javthusiast

Banned
I watch it only for the reveals, and even then I don' t actually watch the show itself, but watch people watch the show like the easyallies etc. xD

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Cancelled a date with a girl for this, hope I made the right choice.

Nobody is actually watching for the awards or the *gags* music performances. We are watching for the trailers lol

I'm watching for the trailers and the awards because I like games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Who gives a shit about the awards? We’re in for the announcements
The awards are an okay hook, in my opinion. The last few years, I've seen games I had passed up win a lot of awards (or a niche award, typically, like art direction or sound design) and it has sparked interest in finding games I wouldn't have normally played.

That being said - most of the niche awards weren't even announced at the event last year. Like "Best RPG" got a mention in the pre-show and that was it. So, 🤷‍♂️

Mista

Banned
The awards are an okay hook, in my opinion. The last few years, I've seen games I had passed up win a lot of awards (or a niche award, typically, like art direction or sound design) and it has sparked interest in finding games I wouldn't have normally played.

That being said - most of the niche awards weren't even announced at the event last year. Like "Best RPG" got a mention in the pre-show and that was it. So, 🤷‍♂️
I honestly watch the awards just for the announcements. Awards means nothing to me and doesn’t excite me at all. Of course it’s nice to see a game you loved gets appreciated but that’s about it

JSoup

Banned
I'm watching cause different online games will be handing out shit for Twitch accounts logging a half hour to this mess.
If anything interesting comes from it beyond that, it's gravy.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'll watch out of boredom but then remember I'm also the guy who bought a first night showing ticket to Rise of the Skinwalker.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Is there really any excitement watching this, when we all know what will win?

So because you cannot respect and accept the jury decision your solution to this situation is to insinuate that the competition is rigged ?

So that the winner reputation is tarnished and tainted? I suppose that was your goal on this matter i presume?

Last edited:
I'm going to watch having a beer and hopefully I'm drunk by the midway point. This event is a weird kind of fun, like it's ass but it's fun to partake in it. Looking forward to shitposting a lot with you guys, may the best game Super Smash Bros Ultimate win!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
crossing my fingers for Elden Ring drop. even a new trailer would make my Xmas.

think they will ever release a Final Fantasy VII Remake demo? when would a thing like that show up?

Last edited:

Chromata

I can't believe Sekiro didn't win game of the year. This proves the awards are rigged and not made by true gamers. I'm insulted, I'm angry, and I'm never going to watch this ever again for as long as I live.

Oh whoops, I'm early?

I'll be back tomorrow.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can't believe Sekiro didn't win game of the year. This proves the awards are rigged and not made by true gamers. I'm insulted, I'm angry, and I'm never going to watch this ever again for as long as I live.

Oh whoops, I'm early?

I'll be back tomorrow.
VGAs for most part are popularity contest, games like Sekiro is not type of game made to appeal to everybody which there is less chance to win in this type of show. My take is games are not try to appeal to everyone are best kind because its much focus experience instead trying to be everything for everybody.

John Day

Its a fun thing to watch as a community and talk about, like family watching Miss Universe.

We don’t care about the show, just about the gossip 🤣🤣

Chromata

VGAs for most part are popularity contest, games like Sekiro is not type of game made to appeal to everybody which there is less chance to win in this type of show. My take is games are not try to appeal to everyone are best kind because its much focus experience instead trying to be everything for everybody.
Agreed, if I'm being serious I'm expecting it to go to Resident Evil 2 or Death Stranding (but more likely Resident Evil 2).

I feel unusually apathetic about what wins what this year, probably because I didn't play most of these. I will enjoy the reactions from those who are more vested than me. What does gaf think will win rpg?

I want to be in Smash as dlc 5, but I am prepared to not get what I want.

Chromata

A remake winning would be really pathetic.
I wouldn't say so, they did an amazing job. It was a complete overhaul.

I get what you're saying though, it's not a completely new game. It just goes to show that this wasn't a particularly strong year for gaming, but 2020 looks great and we're close to next gen so I don't mind.

Bkdk

Hopefully the new games announcement will make some of my gaming wishes come true tomorrow night.

I'm taking the heaviest burden now: Hoping for Monolith Soft's new ip to be revealed at this event.

*coughs blood* Yeah, it's extremely unlikely ... and yet .... *coughs more blood*

🙈🐧🤷‍♀️

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Can't wait to see "journalists" and execs try to influence the industry with validation to compensate for their impotence in controlling market trends!

On second thought, I'll pass.

You must not have anything good happening in your life for you to feel this way. Clearing you've never created or done anything worth being proud of.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm more and more confidente in Death Stranding GOTY award.
It is leading already the overall number of awards for the year.

Death Stranding - 9
The Critics' Picks - 7
The Readers' Picks - 2

Control - 5
The Critics' Picks - 5
The Readers' Picks -

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 5
The Critics' Picks - 5
The Readers' Picks -

Resident Evil 2 - 3
The Critics' Picks - 2
The Readers' Picks - 1

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 1
Days Gone - 1
Devil May Cry 5 - 1
Disco Elysium - 1
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 1
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 1
The Outer Worlds - 1
Untitled Goose Game - 1

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Im here for the wine
giphy.gif

You must not have anything good happening in your life for you to feel this way. Clearing you've never created or done anything worth being proud of.

Yeah, I hate when people talk about how meaningless these awards are. It's such a boring way to look at life. Yeah the awards are meaningless, but it's fun to watch it and get angry when the one you want doesn't win. And you get to have a few drinks (or a lot of drinks if you don't work tomorrow :messenger_grinning:) and talk shit about stuff you enjoy, what's not to like?

Top Bottom