• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2020 |OT| Boring, but still bigger than E3 (18:30 ET // 15:30 PT // 23:30 GMT)

ethomaz

Banned
It would be probably past 8-9million without the controversy by now.
Must depend on location.

I've also seen the photos tlous2 unsold.

edit:

Let's see if the game reaches 10 Million. It'd probably be past 20 Million eventually without the controversy.
The first game crossed 20 million in Oct 2019.

IMO I believe Sony is waiting the 10 million milestone for TLOU2 to announce.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My biggest issue with VGAs is that mostly AAA games and indie games gets any recognition, meanwhile AA games gets completely ignored for most part.

ethomaz

Banned
I've learned my lesson in 2018 when I stayed awake at 3 AM local time to watch it and said to myself what a fool you are. Not anymore. Now I just wake up and watch the trailers, as that's actually what I care about, not the awards.
It is the second year I did no watch it and it feels good everytime.

I just don’t have the patience.

That is why I really appreciate a lot the Sony PS5 show in the middle of year... it was pretty straight with games.

Last edited:

Sign

I think this may actually be the worst vga.

TLOU2 is a dumpster fire of a story, but considering who is voting it is not surprising that it won. The player choice win for GoT was a nice rebuke, though.

The awards are not what make this the worst (“””””journalists””””” jerking themselves off don’t matter), it was the trailers. Almost no gameplay, and the last premier is for a game we already knew existed from a has been studio whose senior leadership just bolted.

And what was Sony doing? “Be sure to watch!” “Watch” what? The check clear? I think I may be on the “skip and wait for trailer recap” train, now. Permanently.

From, oof dog me. . . yikes.

Larlight

Last we heard about last of us 2 sales is that it crossed 4 million and hasn’t been in the sales charts since. They can give it all the awards they want, promote druckmann to ceo of Sony if they want, call of us bigots and nazis all they want, this game under performed big time. God bless the leaker.

You do know the game is already at 9 million copies now right? This game will probably go on to sell 20+ million copies like GOW, Spiderman and Uncharted 4 did.

kyliethicc

Two of my favourite albums of all time, some would call that bad taste but I just call it an ear for amazing music!

Travis Scott and Kanye West make the best playlist for Cyberpunk, I can't put into words how it feels driving through Night City listening to The Ends, Stargazing, Astrothunder, Hold My Liquor, Guilt Trip or FML
Kid Cudi Man on the Moon 3 dropped tonight

Kumomeme

my complaint is there too much shooter being showcased here. this remind me of some years of E3 where the event also received same critism.

The show was ok. Most intriguing to me was the Perfect Dark taster. Many of the new reveal games looked like ass and I'm not sure what to make of that. Scarlet Nexus could be cool and I maintain hopes for it. TLOU2 deserves praise for the level of effort, polish and quality that went into that game.

Ol'Scratch

How is it a disappointment? Many good things were announced, some good teasers.
Is it because you and other built up expectations that you had absolutely no backing for do not come true? I am genuinely curious. This was pretty much better than TGS and up there with E3. It was solid presentation, was not rushed. Perhaps some people do not realize that ads are what pay for these things, and cramming everything into one hour would never get the ad support needed to pay for it?
Damn , I understand if some people are not sitting there fapping at every announcement but people are acting like someone just fisted granny while drinking out of the milk carton.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
ARK 2, Crimson Desert, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Yakuza remasters, Oddworld: Soulstorm, Returnal, WH40K: Darktide, Back 4 Blood, Perfect Dark, Smash Bros Sephiroth, NieR, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, maybe Hood, are the possibly interesting things from the show imo. Already stretching it for some as they were already a sure bet and the teasers don't really add anything to their prospects, others are promising but again just with shit teasers you can't tell, some were already known or even shown before this, so, hardly a great showing or anything. I mean, I have potentially dodgy PVP things and MMO crap in my list just cos they have a semi interesting concept (Hood reminds me of Thievery UT, a Thief inspired PVP mod for Unreal Tournament in the vein of later Splinter Cell multiplayer modes) even though there's probably a 10% chance I'll actually play them. Nothing hyping.

Edit: Monster Hunter Rise too, of course, possibly the biggest one, ha, but again we've seen so much from it already, cool as it it to have a new trailer, we know its deal.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Aside from disco elysium for PS4/5, I did not see a single game that I honestly look forward to. Just generic shit. Too many cgi trailers as well, I hate that shit. It literally tells you absolutely nothing about the real game. If you don't have a game to show, don't show it.

FunkMiller

Just like to say a huge thank you to the organisers of the game awards for putting the show on overnight in the UK, so I went to bed and missed the entire shitty trash fire.

giphy.gif

Kadayi

Banned
Weak Year. It's good to see the fanboys backslapping though to convince themselves that it's an amazing result and fully deserved from 'The GOTG' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I was hoping for Playstation to announce PS5 updates for it's first party games but no we didn't get it.

The show was pretty much a let down for me. Only things that interested me were:
- The Korean rpg
- Returnal
- Evil Dead the game
- Keanu Reeves

Edit. The Callisto Protocol !

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Weak Year. It's good to see the fanboys backslapping though to convince themselves that it's an amazing result and fully deserved from 'The GOTG' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's nice to see year after year, the same people keep beating the awards because no game they like or on the platform they prefer is winning......It never has anything to do with the quality of their preferred game not being up to standard or not getting universal praise or not being liked by most, it's always the awards, people paying an entity out, journos taking bribes.....It's never that the games which won are the highest quality game releases; in graphics, gameplay, sound, physics, story and characters for the year......

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Could have given you those results with 90% accuracy. Aside from all the eSports shit.

As much as I think TLOU2 is a deeply flawed game, it deserved those audio design, performance and accessibility awards. The rest are a a big lolno, but whatever.

I like Ghost of Tsushima, but Ori was absolutely fucking robbed of art direction. I would have said Doom Eternal for action but I'm more than happy that Hades took it, both are stunning.

Kadayi

Banned
It's nice to see year after year, the same people keep beating the awards because no game they like or on the platform they prefer is winning......It never has anything to do with the quality of their preferred game not being up to standard or not getting universal praise or not being liked by most, it's always the awards, people paying an entity out, journos taking bribes.....It's never that the games which won are the highest quality game releases; in graphics, gameplay, sound, physics, story and characters for the year......

I can't fault TLOU2 for technical achievement, music etc and it deserves those accolades wholeheartedly but I'm sorry that storyline was godawful and not because it was 'woke' or any of that other stuff that 'haters' would say, but simply by virtue of how it operates within itself. Waypoint did a lengthy 6-hour breakdown of why the game just doesn't work and I recommend any and all people to give that a listen, because frankly, this is the equivalent of a Michael bay movie winning the Oscars for best picture.

Also please find where I've ever said or implied on this forum the highlighted that you've accused me of. I can wait.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Could have given you those results with 90% accuracy. Aside from all the eSports shit.

As much as I think TLOU2 is a deeply flawed game, it deserved those audio design, performance and accessibility awards. The rest are a a big lolno, but whatever.

I like Ghost of Tsushima, but Ori was absolutely fucking robbed of art direction. I would have said Doom Eternal for action but I'm more than happy that Hades took it, both are stunning.
Why did it win accessibility? I haven’t played the game so I don’t know

OrionNebula

Why are you guys talking about an award?
Isn’t it exactly what we’re supposed to do here, on a gaming message board, in a thread about an award show?

Or should we all go to isle 4 of our local grocery store to do so?

As for the show : gave up before the end. I’m a music composer, and even I got tired of all the music bits in there

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So wait.... they made the options menu a category? Lol seems like a waste of an award. Am I missing something here? What does accessibility mean? Just options?

It's for people that have trouble, for what reason, interacting with the game. They can't see well, or hear well, or they can't distinguish colours, or have trouble reading, or pressing buttons quickly for QTEs, or reaching certain buttons on the controller.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sony First Party cleaned up and Druckman was rightfully put in the spotlight. Naughty Dog does it again, what an incredible studio, what an incredible game.

Fragile dudes have their hearts broken once again, stay losing suckers.

Sony First Party cleaned up and Druckman was rightfully put in the spotlight. Naughty Dog does it again, what an incredible studio, what an incredible game.

Fragile dudes have their hearts broken once again, stay losing suckers.

Damn straight, tell em queen. Games should be the equivalent of sissy boy not the equivalent of epic chad dude aka Doom Eternal.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Damn straight, tell em queen. Games should be the equivalent of sissy boy not the equivalent of epic chad dude aka Doom Eternal.

Maybe TLOU2 and DOOM can both co exist and both be fucking awesome, because they are, instead of pandering to bitches who feel their masculinity slip away at the sight of a woman cracking a man’s skull.

Those are the real soy boys.

Last edited:

BuffNTuff

Banned
What the fuck was that?

I’ve thought I’ve been a gamer for the past 30 years.

But whatever the fuck that was clearly signaled that I am not a gamer, or at least what the industry considers a gamer or what the industry wants to be a gamer.

Been a good run I guess. Better than fighting with the wife to give up the hobby when the hobby would rather give me up instead.

Last edited:
What the fuck was that?

I’ve thought I’ve been a gamer for the past 30 years.

But whatever the fuck that was clearly signaled that I am not a gamer, or at least what the industry considers a gamer or what the industry wants to be a gamer.

Been a good run I guess. Better than fighting with the wife to give up the hobby when the hobby would rather give me up instead.
What the hell are you talking about?

Top Bottom