• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2020 |OT| Boring, but still bigger than E3 (18:30 ET // 15:30 PT // 23:30 GMT)

What the fuck was that?

I’ve thought I’ve been a gamer for the past 30 years.

But whatever the fuck that was clearly signaled that I am not a gamer, or at least what the industry considers a gamer or what the industry wants to be a gamer.

Been a good run I guess. Better than fighting with the wife to give up the hobby when the hobby would rather give me up instead.
I see you've just woke up.

Gaming has been dead for a few years now. That's why i Gamepass everything; i'm not spending a penny more than i have to, to get access to games.

When Sony get PS5's back in stock next year, i'll pick one up and sign up for PSN+, play all of the games i've missed for a dirt cheap price.

My target is to spend less than £1500 on the entire next gen (including 2 consoles).

Fuck 'em.

caffeware

Banned
What the fuck was that?

I’ve thought I’ve been a gamer for the past 30 years.

But whatever the fuck that was clearly signaled that I am not a gamer, or at least what the industry considers a gamer or what the industry wants to be a gamer.

Been a good run I guess. Better than fighting with the wife to give up the hobby when the hobby would rather give me up instead.
What were you expecting? What would you change about the show?

Serge85

im saying there was nothing in the show last night that I connected with or that resonated with me in the slightest bit - and I’m saying that as someone that’s been gaming for 30 years.

clearly myself and the “industry” seem to have dramatically misaligned from one another.

Yeah, the industry...or a big part of it, is morphing to a hollywood wannabe industry, you saw it yesterday, I mean...Brie Larson, Gal Gadot, Keanu, Nolan, TLOU2 best videogame?

Thank god for retro games, and Nintendo (At least they aren't in the business of "cinematic experiences")

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it’s like tuning in to the Oscars or Grammys hoping to not hear some overhyped crap get hyped yet again. It’s a glimpse into industry glad handing and little more. That’s all these award shows ever are tho.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Thank god for retro games
yep

i was playing ffix the other day and put the controller down for a second and just thought, "see this is great! no woke sjw shit, no "IN YOUR FACE FUCK YEAH!" epic soundtrack that thinks it needs to blast your face off every second of the game, no shitty voice acting and terribly over done cut scenes, the dialogue is actually funny and makes me laugh, the character animations give you all the context clue about what they should sound like, the game is strategic and nuanced, there is hidden stuff everywhere almost certainly requiring multiple play throughs and taking your time, the game isnt overly uber difficult as if it is just being played by a bunch of 13 year olds on ritalin (looking at you doom eternal), it doesnt make you do pointless stupid QTE's and follow blue arrows like ffvii remake, it's self aware, makes fun of itself and doesnt take itself so seriously as to make me utterly cringe, no DLC, no skins, no add ons, and the game is PACKED with shit to do...... and just so much more.

old school gaming is just so much better. there was better talent, more care, reasonable dev cycles, nuance, they werent tryin to rape you for every dollar or cater to crying sjw babies. they just poured their passion into it and made amazing games. im just going to start going back to retro gaming and find some stuff i missed along the way. ill check out a new game here and there, but the industry is just a huge turn off for me right now and i dont give a fuck about most of the shit they are pumping out. VR is about the only thing doing anything cool or interesting in gaming, and im all about that, but its still pretty new and has some growing left to do. they can keep the rest of this shit tho (ok cyberpunk can stay... but the rest of you new games can gtfo :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned

WESTERN Gaming has been dead for a few years now. That's why i Gamepass everything; i'm not spending a penny more than i have to, to get access to games.

When Sony get PS5's back in stock next year, i'll pick one up and sign up for PSN+, play all of the games i've missed for a dirt cheap price.

My target is to spend less than £1500 on the entire next gen (including 2 consoles).

Fuck 'em.
Fixed that for you.

BuffNTuff

Banned
Fixed that for you.

except Japanese gaming is just weird anime stuff that just doesn’t resonate real well with me... or most healthy western adults for that matter.

like those Japanese games games shown last night like genshin,nier, persona... like nah, I’m good.

Capcom on the other hand ill say is doing well and remains untainted. The resident evil 2/3 remakes were fantastic.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just want to say that it is trash that they threw Microsoft Flight Simulator into the strategy genre just to be lazy.

Just like when they combine sports with dirt racing or whatever the hell that category is every single year. And the best sports sim is not even in it (MLB The Show).

Stupid and lazy.

Can we all agree I was the best poster last night?

Nice tits on this bird.
I just image searched Sydnee.

FUCK.

I'm wanking over her tonight.
This is the pic I saw that won me over on my Google search.

My balls are already to release staring at it.
BRING BACK THE BIG TITS.

NOOO DON'T DO THIS TO ME GEOFF.
SJW dogshit.
Fake tears bro
Fuck yeah PD!
L4D3. Cool.
SHE'S BACK!

COCKS OUT BOYS!
SJW propaganda
MY COCK IS BACK AWAKE.
DISCO ELYSIUM!!!

FUCK ABBY RUSSELL
How are they making this in Korea?

Aren't they all playing Starcraft?
More SJW garbage
More SJW shit
THOSE TITS ARE POPPING OUT
Gal ain't as hot as Sydnee tbh
I'd eat Gal's shit hole every day without her wiping.

But Sydnee is hotter.

SJW cunts everywhere
Yup we lost.

Enjoy the last games that arent infected with it. This medium is going to be fully consumed soon.
Probably a tranny tbh

Sitting right on top of each other... wearing masks?

Last edited:

GinSama

The show was pretty cringeworthy ... I knew not to put my expectations very high because of how the world is....

But damn.... waste of my time and I didn’t even finishing the show....my god.

Kadayi

Banned
4p5i00.jpg

Did TLOU2 win every single category it was nominated in?

Not the peoples choice. GOT won that as it was a wholly Public Vote.

The rest of the award votes are 90%/10% Jury/Public. You might as well not even bother voting in those. After all those 10/10s best game evars!! by the press, TLOU2 it was always going to win short of CDP getting CP out in time.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Any word on total overall viewership numbers?

The bigger these awards get the more big reveals will take place there, you'd think.

TriSuit666

Banned
Jesus christ - what a fucking mess.

If I never see another trailer featuring a female protegonist RISING UP, or praising BLM, or some kind of oblique reference to Orange Man Bad, or some kind of shit marketing deal, it'll be too fucking soon.

Clap back that bullshit.

Deft Beck

except Japanese gaming is just weird anime stuff that just doesn’t resonate real well with me... or most healthy western adults for that matter.

like those Japanese games games shown last night like genshin,nier, persona... like nah, I’m good.

Capcom on the other hand ill say is doing well and remains untainted. The resident evil 2/3 remakes were fantastic.

If anything, Capcom is becoming more and more Westernized.

Writing off all Japanese games as "weird anime stuff" is very reductive. Shonen style games like Persona or Genshin don't represent the whole country's output.

Am I tripping or was there a Best Studio award which was open for voting on the website originally, which I'm sure I remember voting on, but now doesn't exist and wasn't awarded last night?

wvnative

Having Reggie of all people give away the accessibility award was one of the biggest slaps in the face I've ever had. Why the hell would Geoff get the former employee of NINTENDO, the least accessible friendly gaming company, give out the accessibility award?

He then goes on to talk about how they tried to make gaming more commonly accessible with the DS and Wii, two consoles to this day that have games I cannot physically play, although I WILL play mario galaxy one day.

Sorry if i sound a bit REEE-ish, but as a disabled gamer that whole segment just rubbed me the very wrong way...

Final Fantasy VII Remake won Best OST and Ghost of Tsushima Best Art Direction.

Shame as both games were far better than the last of us 2, and I say that as a big naughty dog fan. I'd love to know how these awards are determined.

TheAssist

If you want to watch a more serious game awards, look out for the BAFTA's next year. Its a much more mature award ceremony. At least as long as no game from good ol Great Britain is among the nominees. Because that will flat out win everything. But it usually has really god hosts, good acceptance speeches, it feels like its actually about the awards and the people making the games and not a big marketing scheme.

You can watch them on Youtube.

ruvikx

Banned
It's kind of amazing how this show manages to underwhelm every year. "Hey Hollywood plz notice us"

Hollywood's own awards ceremonies are dead (Oscars etc.).

The "video game awards" (in inverted commas because who the hell cares?) have even less value because game genres & gamers themselves are so disparate in their definitions, tastes & objectives there is absolutely zero quantifiable way in which to judge to so-called "game of the year". When The Godfather won best film, it's seriously "the best film", but when a scripted, highly linear mechanically limited game like The Last of Us 2 wins game of the year, that's purely subjective.

In the end it's just a circle-jerk of masturbatory cronyism & attention seeking where socialites, "influencers" & insiders seek to find favor with the publishers of their choice.

mortal

Gold Member
Some interesting indies:

Season

Of all of the new indie titles that were announced, I'd say Season appealed to me the most.
It's looks very stylish and has very striking refined presentation. You can tell some very experienced and skilled artists worked on this production.

Looks like a very slow and relaxing game to play. In the vein of a Journey, Flower, Rime, etc.
Perfect game to unwind to after coming home from work, at least imo.

I'm kind of digging It Takes Two as well. Seems entertaining enough. Curious about how good the level design actually is though.

Last edited:

Amiga

Gaming has been dead for a few years now. That's why i Gamepass everything; i'm not spending a penny more than i have to, to get access to games.

Fuck 'em.

Gaming is doing great. games mainstream media is dead though and only propped up by legacy viewers that are ever disappearing.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The show was awful. I wasted 3 hours of my life.

Only good thing was Ghosts n Goblins and Mass Effect.

There were some dope announcements and trailers, but this show has such a terrible format. 3 hours for content that could be easily done in half the time, because they need to fill time with ridiculous advertisements passed off as hype moments. On top of that, the organizers really got to understand that gaming is a self-sufficient hobby, full of developers, eSports players, content creators and artists millions of people would recognize. They don't need to bring in Hollywood actors, retired USA sportsmen and the likes to convince non-gamers to follow this. This is not for them, this show is for folks who are already invested in this media, so work on satisfying them.

As per the awards, I can't say I care too much about which game wins what. Player numbers, sales, Metacritic, word of mouth and legs determine game's quality far better than these awards, where 95% of the time they go to the most hyped game of the year, even if it slightly disappoints or ends up being controversial. That's just how the show rolls. If anything, it's kinda dumb they barely even talk about the nominations or show the games they are awarding. I know what's Hades, but most folks don't. Show it, talk about it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I went to bed around 20 minutes before it ended. It looks like the only key things I missed were LoU2 winning goty and a Mass Effect trailer going by people's posts.

So in a nutshell:

- 60% of the show were gaming CGI/trailers/renders
- 20% Geoff Keighley or awards winners talking and crying they won a video game award
- 10% actual game footage. And probably half of that was Crimson Desert
- 5% music bits
- 5% game ads (breaks)

- ARK II with Vin Diesel was the dumbest looking non-indie game shown. Animation and physics look like something from 2002
- When I left, my last count were four 4-player dude bro zombie/alien survival shooters. And two of them Back 4 Blood and Evil Dead looked the same
- The most effective way to socially distance at home or work is for one person to be inside and one person standing outside a locked window
- The No Way Out guy was terrible. He tried to be edgy, was lame and fucked up a line even though all he said was about 4 lines
- Brie Larson had about 5 lines and she had to read them off a sheet of paper beside her cam

IMO, the worst Keighley show I can remember.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Really don’t know why people expect anything good from these, or put any importance or prestige in them. Just people wanting validation for liking a certain game or games I guess.

thelastword

Banned
I can't fault TLOU2 for technical achievement, music etc and it deserves those accolades wholeheartedly but I'm sorry that storyline was godawful and not because it was 'woke' or any of that other stuff that 'haters' would say, but simply by virtue of how it operates within itself. Waypoint did a lengthy 6-hour breakdown of why the game just doesn't work and I recommend any and all people to give that a listen, because frankly, this is the equivalent of a Michael bay movie winning the Oscars for best picture.

Also please find where I've ever said or implied on this forum the highlighted that you've accused me of. I can wait.
The game got great reviews, the game plays beautifully, the game was a sales success......Now it got GOTY, months after.....This is not a game people loved and suddenly it's now sour milk....So many people are trying to convince people who love TLOU2 to hate it, it's clearly the minority being the loudest, shouting heavily in a shanty near the far end corner of the earth...

This game was supposed to tank in reviews, tank in sales, tank after people played as it was said "gamers would drop it and ask for a refund after they saw how awful it was".....None of that happened. Nobody cares about Waypoint's analysis on a story of a game, that is people taking the medium too seriously as if they are judging films at the short film festival.....Games are about fun, they are about taking risks, I'm glad the story was something many other persons would not dare, as many other directors would stay in the comfort of their white angel vs black devil inculcations, where the people we have grown to love survives all odds, it's always the same white night hero riding into the sunset, no matter how many times he has done wrong and how many bad decisions he has made, people get so glued to these characters that they force directors to be cookie cutter in their preservation of them, only so that a bunch of soy Santa believers could sleep well at night, my hero is safe...(not directed at you, but from all the negativity I've seen directed at TLOU, which have all backfired in kind)...

You must know this crowd has been incessantly vocal, even now you direct me to Waypoint, I don't care about waypoint's view of TLOU's story, I care about my view since I paid 60 on day 1, and the millions who love TLOU2, who still do months after only care that they had a great time with it, all the journos who loved, who still do, it was still voted the best game of the year. Clearly this game is/was thought provoking on many levels, even to the haters of the game, who still only talk about it's story, so clearly LOU2 has brought thought engagement and discourse, it has broken boundaries and has delineated itself from the same boring, safe and familiar story lines in games. In truth, LOU2 is a game people continue to love as it has received GOTY months upon months after and the haters continue to hate......In any case, the haters fierce attacks on LOU2 has just made it's critical reception. it's sales, it's awards much more impactful and warranted.......You cannot force people to love the game you love, universal appeal in a game is a rare thing, which I fear many of the games you guys love does not have, so kudos to Druckmann for putting another GOTY out there, his record is impeccable.....

At this point, I just think the haters of this game can put down their tools, LOU2 came, it went through the fire and it came out a phoenix......There isn't anything you guys can do to the game now, except wallow bitterly in each successful milestone it receives...Now it's won goty, it's the end of the road, it's done it all. To Druckmann he is already working on a next GOTY that millions will love, whilst some of you just hate on a game, an interactive piece of media....Think about that, I'm happy that the director did his game according to his vision and not based on the ever-recurring and familiar tropes, that's pervasive in this industry.....I think soon enough, people will want to sue directors for killing off characters they created or doing with them what they feel like.....It will be a sad day, when a game director can't do what is in his mind.......

4p5i00.jpg

Not the peoples choice. GOT won that as it was a wholly Public Vote.

The rest of the award votes are 90%/10% Jury/Public. You might as well not even bother voting in those. After all those 10/10s best game evars!! by the press, TLOU2 it was always going to win short of CDP getting CP out in time.
Cyberpunk would have lost too, by a large margin, the bugfest that is that game.....CDPR delayed it for a reason, it had no chance....LOU 2 is 93% after 121 reviews where the pitchfork army was working their angle for months in trying to sabotage it's reception and bomb reviews, they attacked with crunch, they deemed story would cause the world's end, ND is doomed... vs 90% for cyberpunk, after lots of CDPR and Cyberpunk fellating in the media, and after only 53 reviews, that meta is falling and will continue to fall.....People are quickly seeing Cyberpunk's quality and that of the dev.....LOU2 played great on every platform and many other quality multiplats have played well and looked stellar on every platform too that never got this reception....You see people see through BS and they reward quality every time when the dust settles...

So if you think, this will end up well for Cyberpunk, it will fall below 90%....I have always said CDPR is lucky Witcher got a 90 meta with how it launched, coupled with the janky combat and camera.....I guarantee you, nobody will be talking about cyberpunk next year this time, by early next year no one will, it will not win GOTY next year and again people will cry foul, but there are too many quality games which no one is overhyping, we just know they will deliver and we know of these studio's stamp of quality.....Devs who have never released buggy games at release and who set real graphical standards that lead the industry....There are so many games billed for 2021, I don't think Cyberpunk will even make the 20 best looking games lists come GOTY time, it certainly won't make GOTY, that's for sure.....Not against what's coming.....Demon Souls is already a higher rated game than cyberpunk after 87 reviews and it's a truly tour de force in graphics and gameplay....

From what I'm seeing, time and time again, the games people over-hype really don't matter, I remember Titanfall, Evolve, Anthem, then Witcher and RDR 2 with their janky combat, controls and camera......then everybody complained about the last two as far as combat and controls after all the raving reviews.......All that matters is what games the majority prefer beyond the hype, games that control and play well, games that put you on the edge with tension and pull, games that are thought provoking where you can see lots of effort and ATD went into it.....That has been a constant source of pleasure for gamers and they keep coming back to those....Quality games in all aspects of the word...

We are on to GOTY next year and I can already tell you what game is in pole position, just on the coattails of a tried and true dev studio pushing it's game out in 2021.....Quality does not lie...it always wins...

If Cyberpunk 2077 had released in the spring and over those months had been patched into something that runs well and then right at launch of new consoles got its next-gen versions... maybe it could have had a chance at 2020 GOTY. I mean, clearly it couldn't have released then any more than it SHOULD HAVE released now, though, but I'm more wondering how fast they get it into workable condition, they've already done a great job with the patches we've had.

Kadayi

Banned
The game got great reviews, the game plays beautifully, the game was a sales success......Now it got GOTY, months after.....This is not a game people loved and suddenly it's now sour milk....So many people are trying to convince people who love TLOU2 to hate it, it's clearly the minority being the loudest, shouting heavily in a shanty near the far end corner of the earth...

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. You, on the other hand, are constantly trying to convince us that TLOU2 is simply flawless. Enjoy your lengthy diatribes, I'll continue to explore Night City. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

oagboghi2

This game was supposed to tank in reviews, tank in sales, tank after people played as it was said "gamers would drop it and ask for a refund after they saw how awful it was".....None of that happened. Nobody cares about Waypoint's analysis on a story of a game, that is people taking the medium too seriously as if they are judging films at the short film festival.....Games are about fun, they are about taking risks, I'm glad the story was something many other persons would not dare, as many other directors would stay in the comfort of their white angel vs black devil inculcations, where the people we have grown to love survives all odds, it's always the same white night hero riding into the sunset, no matter how many times he has done wrong and how many bad decisions he has made, people get so glued to these characters that they force directors to be cookie cutter in their preservation of them, only so that a bunch of soy Santa believers could sleep well at night, my hero is safe...(not directed at you, but from all the negativity I've seen directed at TLOU, which have all backfired in kind)...

You must know this crowd has been incessantly vocal, even now you direct me to Waypoint, I don't care about waypoint's view of TLOU's story, I care about my view since I paid 60 on day 1, and the millions who love TLOU2, who still do months after only care that they had a great time with it, all the journos who loved, who still do, it was still voted the best game of the year. Clearly this game is/was thought provoking on many levels, even to the haters of the game, who still only talk about it's story, so clearly LOU2 has brought thought engagement and discourse, it has broken boundaries and has delineated itself from the same boring, safe and familiar story lines in games. In truth, LOU2 is a game people continue to love as it has received GOTY months upon months after and the haters continue to hate......In any case, the haters fierce attacks on LOU2 has just made it's critical reception. it's sales, it's awards much more impactful and warranted.......You cannot force people to love the game you love, universal appeal in a game is a rare thing, which I fear many of the games you guys love does not have, so kudos to Druckmann for putting another GOTY out there, his record is impeccable.....

At this point, I just think the haters of this game can put down their tools, LOU2 came, it went through the fire and it came out a phoenix......There isn't anything you guys can do to the game now, except wallow bitterly in each successful milestone it receives...Now it's won goty, it's the end of the road, it's done it all. To Druckmann he is already working on a next GOTY that millions will love, whilst some of you just hate on a game, an interactive piece of media....Think about that, I'm happy that the director did his game according to his vision and not based on the ever-recurring and familiar tropes, that's pervasive in this industry.....I think soon enough, people will want to sue directors for killing off characters they created or doing with them what they feel like.....It will be a sad day, when a game director can't do what is in his mind.......

Cyberpunk would have lost too, by a large margin, the bugfest that is that game.....CDPR delayed it for a reason, it had no chance....LOU 2 is 93% after 121 reviews where the pitchfork army was working their angle for months in trying to sabotage it's reception and bomb reviews, they attacked with crunch, they deemed story would cause the world's end, ND is doomed... vs 90% for cyberpunk, after lots of CDPR and Cyberpunk fellating in the media, and after only 53 reviews, that meta is falling and will continue to fall.....People are quickly seeing Cyberpunk's quality and that of the dev.....LOU2 played great on every platform and many other quality multiplats have played well and looked stellar on every platform too that never got this reception....You see people see through BS and they reward quality every time when the dust settles...

So if you think, this will end up well for Cyberpunk, it will fall below 90%....I have always said CDPR is lucky Witcher got a 90 meta with how it launched, coupled with the janky combat and camera.....I guarantee you, nobody will be talking about cyberpunk next year this time, by early next year no one will, it will not win GOTY next year and again people will cry foul, but there are too many quality games which no one is overhyping, we just know they will deliver and we know of these studio's stamp of quality.....Devs who have never released buggy games at release and who set real graphical standards that lead the industry....There are so many games billed for 2021, I don't think Cyberpunk will even make the 20 best looking games lists come GOTY time, it certainly won't make GOTY, that's for sure.....Not against what's coming.....Demon Souls is already a higher rated game than cyberpunk after 87 reviews and it's a truly tour de force in graphics and gameplay....

From what I'm seeing, time and time again, the games people over-hype really don't matter, I remember Titanfall, Evolve, Anthem, then Witcher and RDR 2 with their janky combat, controls and camera......then everybody complained about the last two as far as combat and controls after all the raving reviews.......All that matters is what games the majority prefer beyond the hype, games that control and play well, games that put you on the edge with tension and pull, games that are thought provoking where you can see lots of effort and ATD went into it.....That has been a constant source of pleasure for gamers and they keep coming back to those....Quality games in all aspects of the word...

We are on to GOTY next year and I can already tell you what game is in pole position, just on the coattails of a tried and true dev studio pushing it's game out in 2021.....Quality does not lie...it always wins...
TLOU2, the most persecuted game ever. 😂

Of course, it didn't win the only award consumers were allowed to vote for, but you know...*quality". 😂

TLOU2, the most persecuted game ever. 😂

Of course, it didn't win the only award consumers were allowed to vote for, but you know...*quality". 😂

I gotta say I'm kinda miffed by that fact, though. Because it did win that vote at least once but it turned out there were 3 stages of the vote? When I first voted I didn't think I'd have to vote again in the future then suddenly I find out we're on the third such vote and GoT is winning now, wonder how many other people voted the first time and then didn't look back? Though, it could also be that as the selection narrowed people mad their game didn't win came together to make sure TLOU II lost. The game engenders hate in a way the other participants don't.

reinking

Gold Member
I think the Game Awards might have been XB best showing of the year as announcements go.

Last edited:

TheOtherGuy

Neo Member
yeah that cast list for the Ark cartoon is impressive, honestly I'm more interested in it than any of their games

Since I can FINALLY FUCKING POST NOW, I was looking forward to the series A LOT since the lore from the note is pretty fucking badass, but was curious what characters the cast was gonna play...then I read that info and my enthusiasm sort of...deflated to say the least. Unless they doing some BEFORE they were in the ARK shit(and even THEN some of the characters feel way off), I'm heading into this with a healthy degree of skepticism.

Top Bottom