• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The games that aged the best for each 5th gen console?

nkarafo

Everybody agrees the 5th generation is probably the one that aged the worst, except maybe the pong clone generation or something. But what are the games that still look and play great today?

Here are my picks:

PS1 - Castlevania SOTN

Great pixel-art and still one of the best "Metroidvanias" despite being the first that earned the term.

Sega Saturn - Powerslave

Runs/looks great and the gameplay/level design make this version of the game the best by far.

N64 - DOOM 64

The real DOOM 3 but nobody noticed back in the day under the shadow of Turok and Goldeneye. Today though, DOOM 64 runs smoother, looks better and its one of the last (and best) games ever made with the DOOM/Quake/Duke 3D labyrinthine school of level design.

TacosNSalsa

Saturn-Marvel vs SF Such a great port of that game

PS1 -Resident Evil 2 -The different scenarios connecting was/is amazing ..such a shame that the remake didn't get as in depth as the og did

N64- Don't really remember much about the N64 ..so what ever that Capcom Tetris game was

cireza

Saturn : everything 2D.
Virtua Fighter 2. Exhumed. Duke Nukem 3D. Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga. Radiant Silvergun. Soukyu Gurentai. Nights. Sega Rally come to mind.
Also Digital Pinball and Necronomicon in 2D (high res).

On PS1 I really like the Doom port.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Super Mario 64 still plays like a dream, despite a little jank here and there and the typical camera problems of the time.
Same goes for the orginal Banjo Kazooie. I guess most 2D or 2.5D games during that aged pretty good. How about making the thread only about 3D games, thats maybe a little more interesting!?

Oddspeak

Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden II, Symphony of the Night, and Resident Evil 2.

Generally, I think 3D platformers from this era aged pretty well, too.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Saturn : everything 2D.
Yeah pretty much. X-Men vs Street Fighter, Layer Section. Vampire Savior 3. Super Puzzle Fighter. Sexy Parodius. Twinkle Star Sprites. Cyberbots. Magical Drop III. Put any of these on a CRT and you have some of the best-looking 2D games of their era.

For N64... hard to say because I haven't played an N64 game in several years.

For PS1. some of those 2D RPGs are still best in the genre. Suikoden II, Persona 2 (parts 1 and 2), Breath of Fire 4... the PS1 era of RPGs will probably never go out of style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom