• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club 2 |OT| High Society

-NeoTB1-

Yeah, I'm kinda mixed on the PS4 course we're playing right now. It doesn't seem that difficult, but I'm having issues nonetheless. Putted off the green more times than I care to count, which is pretty unusual for me. I think I stopped halfway through my 3rd round and sitting at +5 or so for the tourney. Bleh. Still, enjoying it overall. I like the layout of the course.

Wait. What are you referring too regarding verticality?

Moving the marker up and down on the green (vertically on the axis would probably be more accurate)

Theres an explanation in the thread somewhere but basically it auto corrects your distance/power sometimes if you are relatively close. It also shows you true distance in inches of big elevation changes and cam help you read breaks a little better by finding where it goes down or up significantly on its way to the hole.

Before using it i used to overhit a lot of putts way past the hole and this had helped with that and also getting closer for 25-40 ft putts which i struggled to get the power right for

Arizona Azure can kiss my ass, that simple ass course bodied me.

I think its pretty obviously made for playing a different club set than the default one as all my distances were weird and there were some brutally long par 4s.

I did manage to sink a 59 ft putt tho
https://twitter.com/the_visualizer/status/887106945865457666

Nice putt!!

That course had quite a few design flaws but it was probably better than I could have built lol. Too many pins on the edges of slopes, aggressive tee shot lines didn't reward good shots, some holes took driver out of your hand without even tempting you to hit it, and the one that annoyed me most....the 2nd shot layup on the 1st par 5 had a domed fairway that rolled off both sides

Griss

Nice putt!!

That course had quite a few design flaws but it was probably better than I could have built lol. Too many pins on the edges of slopes, aggressive tee shot lines didn't reward good shots, some holes took driver out of your hand without even tempting you to hit it, and the one that annoyed me most....the 2nd shot layup on the 1st par 5 had a domed fairway that rolled off both sides

Perfect summary of the course. I went 74-73-73-64, so at least I leave with good memories. Key was to be super defensive. Your 58 here must have been something very special.

Way too many bad bounces from the fairway into bunkers on this course.

Perfect summary of the course. I went 74-73-73-64, so at least I leave with good memories. Key was to be super defensive. Your 58 here must have been something very special.

Way too many bad bounces from the fairway into bunkers on this course.

It was crazy considering I had a bogey. Chipped in three times and putted out of my mind. Got brought back to reality in round 3 and 4 though.

It was crazy considering I had a bogey. Chipped in three times and putted out of my mind. Got brought back to reality in round 3 and 4 though.

Good stuff, I saw you post that score in the first round and got all excited and confident that we were playing an extremely easy course and everyone was going to shoot low scores... then reality set in

Nice putt!!

I played my tee shot to the green on the hole to the left of that fairway everytime. Made for a nice 175 yard (flat!) second shot to the green. That was like the only hole I enjoyed

-NeoTB1-

Good stuff, I saw you post that score in the first round and got all excited and confident that we were playing an extremely easy course and everyone was going to shoot low scores... then reality set in

Heh, I thought the same thing, too. Oops. Oh well, it wasn't all bad for me despite the score. Looking forward to the next one.

Klocker

Moving the marker up and down on the green (vertically on the axis would probably be more accurate)

Theres an explanation in the thread somewhere but basically it auto corrects your distance/power sometimes if you are relatively close. It also shows you true distance in inches of big elevation changes and cam help you read breaks a little better by finding where it goes down or up significantly on its way to the hole.

Before using it i used to overhit a lot of putts way past the hole and this had helped with that and also getting closer for 25-40 ft putts which i struggled to get the power right for

Ok I just usually let the marker where it is as it is already at the adjusted distance I thought foe the height, but yes moving it around , I can see how that helps, to get closer idea of the green, I have tried that a few times, wil try it some more

Thx

New Tournament up for PS4 bros. I gotta be honest, I don't know the difference between a regular tourney and a major. We have done nothing but regular. Maybe I'll do a major in 4 days.

Thus course is innocent looking, but these greens can kiss my ass.

Griss

New Tournament up for PS4 bros. I gotta be honest, I don't know the difference between a regular tourney and a major. We have done nothing but regular. Maybe I'll do a major in 4 days.

Shit I'm like an hour late. I was going to request Royal Birkdale as it's well done and the British Open is on this week.

What did you choose?

Shit I'm like an hour late. I was going to request Royal Birkdale as it's well done and the British Open is on this week.

What did you choose?

We can do that for the major tournament after this one. Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone has courses they would like to play let me know.

HercRaato

Thus course is innocent looking, but these greens can kiss my ass.

Played the first round and got a few lucky breaks. The par 4 550+ yard hole was absolutely brutal. I think it's hole 7. I decided not to push my luck with the second round since I had 16mph winds on the first hole with the narrow fairways.

Can the next tournament be set up to start automatically? Just asking because I don't know.

Played the first round and got a few lucky breaks. The par 4 550+ yard hole was absolutely brutal. I think it's hole 7. I decided not to push my luck with the second round since I had 16mph winds on the first hole with the narrow fairways.

Can the next tournament be set up to start automatically? Just asking because I don't know.

Yes. I'm actually scheduling it right now.

Royal Birkdale Open is scheduled. It will start on the 23rd. I tried to make it a Major(not sure what that changes) but it told me we have to do 4 more regular events first. Still, this is a big one. 800 buy In, 60% back to players and an extra 800 bonus from the club to players.

Griss

Royal Birkdale Open is scheduled. It will start on the 23rd. I tried to make it a Major(not sure what that changes) but it told me we have to do 4 more regular events first. Still, this is a big one. 800 buy In, 60% back to players and an extra 800 bonus from the club to players.

Great. In my experience being a major changes nothing but maybe I'm wrong. Really looking forward to Birkdale. Shot +7 there on my only round though. It's all about the putting, that course.

Keep up the good work, man, you're doing a great job.

Great. In my experience being a major changes nothing but maybe I'm wrong. Really looking forward to Birkdale. Shot +7 there on my only round though. It's all about the putting, that course.

Keep up the good work, man, you're doing a great job.

yea thanks to MarineMountie for scheduling the tournaments on ps4 and picking good courses (except for the last one...)

I started the latest tourney on Homestead tonight and did ok shooting -4 in the first round and was tied for 1st with one other person when i logged off. I imagine some of the heavy hitters will have a field day and shoot some crazy low numbers

Delryk

Ok... how do I get in on this fun? ;) How do I join the clubhouse/tourney and stuff? ahah.. Just started playing last night.. on PS4 :)

Ok... how do I get in on this fun? ;) How do I join the clubhouse/tourney and stuff? ahah.. Just started playing last night.. on PS4 :)
Search for the society then join, its called Glory and Fortune CC
It costs a small amount of money to enter each tourney
Profit!

The Homestead is a beautiful course, but a 554-yard par-4 when it's par 71 is a head scratcher
Yea that one was ridiculous i started having Arizona Azure flashbacks...

3rd hole par 3 green just WRECKED me...

* Appreciate the eagle-friendly par 5 right afterwards :) *

* Oh no, 5 putt on hole 10 *

* WOOF +14 after the first round...+3 after the first 9, +11 on the second 9 (being on a conference call during that didn't help!) *

Pretty course!!

RodzTF

First round of Homestead scored +4. Made a few birds but three putts were killing me

So these society tourneys, is it limited to a round per day, you can just go ahead and post four rounds consecutively? I'd prefer the former, would make it more lifelike and better to compete in realtime

Oh and my brother albatross'd Birkdale's 17th earlier, merely a few rounds into his GC2 tenure the fluky SOB

https://youtu.be/LIcCwGZa4tI

First round of Homestead scored +4. Made a few birds but three putts were killing me

So these society tourneys, is it limited to a round per day, you can just go ahead and post four rounds consecutively? I'd prefer the former, would make it more lifelike and better to compete in realtime

You can play all 4 rounds whenever you want. It would be near impossible to do it any other way because people don't have perfect schedules to sit down and play a round every day.

Say you finish round 2, it will show you others that have finished round 2 on the leaderboard and the score they posted. Same for other rounds.

RodzTF

You can play all 4 rounds whenever you want. It would be near impossible to do it any other way because people don't have perfect schedules to sit down and play a round every day.

Say you finish round 2, it will show you others that have finished round 2 on the leaderboard and the score they posted. Same for other rounds.

Ah, gotcha. Yea I see now

I really hope HB continue to support this game heavily. It seemed like just dropped all support for GC1 to just focus on a new title. It's still a heavily flawed game with some wacky design decisions. Has anyone ever reached out to them and got a reply? You'd think a small dev with an equally small community would listen and fix glaring issues

HercRaato

Omg second round I think it was the ninth hole was brutal for me. I hit my third shot about 2 ft below the cup and it rolls back off the green. I chip to just about the same spot and it rolls right back to me. I chip again about 5 feet past the cup and then proceed to rim out on my next shot and roll right back down the hill where I started. So of course my next shot was a little passed the hole and I go to putt get a lag spike and blast the ball back down the hill At this point I am completely miffed, but I try one more time and leave it short as it's rolling back down the hill I just log out for my own mental health. Came back to it later and got up and down. I gave up 9 shots on that hole. I finished the round but was beyond frustrated.

Edit: I did donate 1k to the club though

Omg second round I think it was the ninth hole was brutal for me. I hit my third shot about 2 ft below the cup and it rolls back off the green. I chip to just about the same spot and it rolls right back to me. I chip again about 5 feet past the cup and then proceed to rim out on my next shot and roll right back down the hill where I started. So of course my next shot was a little passed the hole and I go to putt get a lag spike and blast the ball back down the hill At this point I am completely miffed, but I try one more time and leave it short as it's rolling back down the hill I just log out for my own mental health. Came back to it later and got up and down. I gave up 9 shots on that hole. I finished the round but was beyond frustrated.

Edit: I did donate 1k to the club though

Some of the downhill stuff is rediculous. It's like the ball doesn't possess any gravity whatsoever sometimes. I got burnt by that a few times during the three rounds I played today.

Any idea what the patch did???

• General optimizations to improve the load on the game servers.
• Addressed the ability to import and save legacy courses from TGC1.
• Memory improvements.
• Addressed putting stutter some users were experiencing.
• Society and Career stats updating with less delay from the server.
• In-Game leaderboards updating with less delay from the server.
• We have added the ability to donate to a society’s bank from your personal wallet.
• We have added an active course filter to show all course with active rivals on them.
• A setting has been added to turn off the ball label for ghosts and rivals.
• Rebalanced AI for Career Mode.
• Less time delay between turn based shots with rivals/friends.
• Lighting adjustments

Delryk

Played all 4 rounds last night... my 4th round was the best.. was at -4 through 15. and then +2,+2,+1 in the last 3 holes.. fuck me. LOL. I'm great at wasting good games!

Think i became a chipping champion on the course though. Must have gotten 5-6 chip ins. Ball would always roll off the damn green on my approach shot. Wish it would be easier to control backspins - or maybe i just dont get it.

Ah, gotcha. Yea I see now

I really hope HB continue to support this game heavily. It seemed like just dropped all support for GC1 to just focus on a new title. It's still a heavily flawed game with some wacky design decisions. Has anyone ever reached out to them and got a reply? You'd think a small dev with an equally small community would listen and fix glaring issues

They are a great team and yes they do listen to feedback.

Just realized I've never thanked the Marine for doing such a bang up job as the club facilitator. Doing great work my friend! Much appreciated!

RodzTF

What set of clubs are everyone using? I see they've given us a choice between a few. Is it just distance that is affected? Will try them out later.

Griss

What set of clubs are everyone using? I see they've given us a choice between a few. Is it just distance that is affected? Will try them out later.

I think most of us use player clubs. It's not just distance it's difficulty, obviously. Each step up is much harder to hit straight. I find tour clubs to be way too inconsistent compared to the benefit of an extra 20 yards.

RodzTF

So about to rename the leaderboards in my career mode to real names, however can anyone tell me does it only stick for the current season, or indefinitely?

Griss

So about to rename the leaderboards in my career mode to real names, however can anyone tell me does it only stick for the current season, or indefinitely?

Careful with this. Don't do it until you're playing on the difficulty you want to stick with or your work will be ruined. Different difficulties have different pools of players.

RodzTF

Careful with this. Don't do it until you're playing on the difficulty you want to stick with or your work will be ruined. Different difficulties have different pools of players.

Yeah just read about this on the HB forums. I started on Hard and with a couple tourneys in I think it's a good suit for me. I've got about 20 names down atm but I'll wait til I finish the first template season to see if they stick around and I'll add more. If they reset then I'll just make a 100 event season lol

Griss

Really liked that 'The Homestead' course, perfect difficulty level for me - somewhere between easy and medium.

Had a nice 65 in the first round, was going great in the 2nd round, then I six putted from 11 feet on the 3rd. And yeah I have proof. Absolutely horrible, dropped me from -8 to -2 and I thought it was all over for me. I was raging at the green. Now I know my putts were poor - I was trying to power them up the ridge and hit them too hard - but putting your hole position with a ridge sloping away on both sides is poor form imo.

So that dropped me way back but I recovered and on the 16th hole of the last round hit this shot. My first ever hole in one on either TGC or TGC2, felt amazing. In the end I went 65-74-64-64, so that should be good for a top 3 at least. Feels good.

Two other good shots:
216 yard hole out for eagle on Scarpacci Wowie (great course btw), and
Reaching the green in 2 on Thunderous Falls 3rd hole - this was from our tournament, loved this hole.

Top Bottom