• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club 2 |OT| High Society

Really liked that 'The Homestead' course, perfect difficulty level for me - somewhere between easy and medium.

Had a nice 65 in the first round, was going great in the 2nd round, then I six putted from 11 feet on the 3rd. And yeah I have proof. Absolutely horrible, dropped me from -8 to -2 and I thought it was all over for me. I was raging at the green. Now I know my putts were poor - I was trying to power them up the ridge and hit them too hard - but putting your hole position with a ridge sloping away on both sides is poor form imo.

So that dropped me way back but I recovered and on the 16th hole of the last round hit this shot. My first ever hole in one on either TGC or TGC2, felt amazing. In the end I went 65-74-64-64, so that should be good for a top 3 at least. Feels good.

Two other good shots:
216 yard hole out for eagle on Scarpacci Wowie (great course btw), and
Reaching the green in 2 on Thunderous Falls 3rd hole - this was from our tournament, loved this hole.

Nice ace bro! Ain't got one of those yet.

Man, that 6 putt....I'd have been cussing like a sailor ( I had a 4 putt from 8' in the final round ) and I was cussing then lol. I don't know if I liked the course or not, seemed like a had a lot of putts that didn't show break but broke anyway. I just suck in the wind too and had a bunch of it. Btb 64's is damn impressive.

Nice hole in one Griss

I finished Homestead -7 last night in 5th at the time and was happy to be in the hunt for awhile. My putter was amazing in the first 3 rounds but I couldnt get my reads or power touch right in the last round and left at least 5 strokes out there including 2 short eagle putts that ended up as pars.

Homestead was a good course I thought it was relatively easy compared to some others weve played so far.

RodzTF

75 • 77 • 72 • 71 (+11)

Fuck Homestead man. More specifically fuck those greens. Way too unpredictable, was rare that I one-putted because even a slow lip-out would leave me with tricky six-footers, with another chance of 'overhitting' or lipping out.

In the new season I'd like to see rounds being capped at 2, instead of 4. I feel the time given to complete four rounds leads to a certain feeling of 'burn-out' for the respective course. Yes it may provide a more median score between players' efforts but the scores were pretty sporadic in this tourney.

And am I really the only Brit? Flying the flag for Brexit over here like

Royal Birkdale Open has begun! 800 buy in, 60% to the purse, and an extra 800 bonus to the purse from the Club. Great course and a lot of winnings to be had. Good luck everyone!

I'll be playing my first round right now while listening to In This Moment's new album!

It's amazing how much more nervous I get on certain holes playing with Tour clubs. Feels like golf, I don't shoot as well but man it's awesome.

In the new season I'd like to see rounds being capped at 2, instead of 4. I feel the time given to complete four rounds leads to a certain feeling of 'burn-out' for the respective course. Yes it may provide a more median score between players' efforts but the scores were pretty sporadic in this tourney.

Totally agree.

I get that 4 rounds = real golf, but as someone with very limited gaming time, there's no way I'll play the same course 4 times during an allotted time...2 is much, much more likely.

Started off my first two rounds at Royal Birkdale with a 68 and 66 and am leading thru 2 rds at -6.

This is the tourney that everyone is going to let me win, right?

Griss

Started off my first two rounds at Royal Birkdale with a 68 and 66 and am leading thru 2 rds at -6.

This is the tourney that everyone is going to let me win, right?

Y-yes, that is why I ended up at -1 for the tournament... I was letting you win, of course I was.

RodzTF

Will skip the Birkdale event as it's the last of the season and I only joined one event ago.

Will there be a new season immediately? Any theme to it?

Like I said before I'd like to see a cap at 2 rounds as you can get burnt out playing the same course in a short time period, if you actually have time to complete it in the first place that is.

Will skip the Birkdale event as it's the last of the season and I only joined one event ago.

Will there be a new season immediately? Any theme to it?

Like I said before I'd like to see a cap at 2 rounds as you can get burnt out playing the same course in a short time period, if you actually have time to complete it in the first place that is.

We could do that. 2 rounds for regular, 4 rounds for majors.

We could do that. 2 rounds for regular, 4 rounds for majors.

Im fine with that.

Since I dont think you can do actual "majors" on the schedule until after 11 events how about every 4th event or something is a 4 rounder even if u cant classify it as a major in the game and the rest can be 2 rounds?

Griss

Im fine with that.

Since I dont think you can do actual "majors" on the schedule until after 11 events how about every 4th event or something is a 4 rounder even if u cant classify it as a major in the game and the rest can be 2 rounds?

Yeah, one every 10 events would be far too rare. I like 4-round events, lets you get to know the course and improve your score - I always do so much better in round 4 than round 1.

One out of every 3 or 4 events being 4 round events might work. Honestly I'm personally cool with it the way it is but I do agree that we need to be accommodating to those with less time.

Yeah, one every 10 events would be far too rare. I like 4-round events, lets you get to know the course and improve your score - I always do so much better in round 4 than round 1.

One out of every 3 or 4 events being 4 round events might work. Honestly I'm personally cool with it the way it is but I do agree that we need to be accommodating to those with less time.

Or maybe alternate between 2 and 4 rounds for every other one?

Id say it might be a good idea to run one or two 2 rounders in a row next and see if participation goes up significantly then adjust from there.

Im a fan of the 4 rds too unless the course stinks and im doing poorly and just want to get the tournament over.

Agreed, rather have 4 rounds but I'll do whatever.

HercRaato

Sorry I didn't finish the last tournament, but work has been hectic and my internet has been out since Monday night. Once it's back I promise to continue my losing ways.

2 or 4 rounds don't matter to me. I try to finish any of them.

njs15

My only problem with two rounds is that the penalty for one or two bad holes is severely increased because the total number of holes is halved. 3 rounds might be a good compromise.

RodzTF

A good layout might be to have a 4-round major every three 2-round events? That way the two rounders can be like a build-up to the majors.

2 round event
2 round event
2 round event
4 round major

I think two rounds is a reasonable amount for people who play in other societies too, or career mode like myself. The more people we have complete events, the more of a competition the leaderboard can be. Anyway, president's call, won't be fussed if we don't adopt this layout.

TPC Sawgrass ate me up. Both rounds I had were 10+ mph wind on each hole, I rarely landed an approach shot close to the pin and I could not get a read on the greens from any distance.

Softie put up a number that is going to be hard for anyone to match thru 2 rounds. Good stuff as usual.

Delryk

TPC Sawgrass ate me up. Both rounds I had were 10+ mph wind on each hole, I rarely landed an approach shot close to the pin and I could not get a read on the greens from any distance.

Softie put up a number that is going to be hard for anyone to match thru 2 rounds. Good stuff as usual.

Yah 1st 2 rounds ive had 12-20mph wind.. greens are tough to start with and with aporoach shots being a bitch it makes for a hard course.

Theres one hole that totally screwed me and im not even sure if i was the problem. I had 3 perfect swings with a flop, straight line, but instead of flopping its like as if i was on 'punch'. So i kept going from one side of the green to the other. Heck even showed my wife to make sure i wasnt dreaming this.

Yah 1st 2 rounds ive had 12-20mph wind.. greens are tough to start with and with aporoach shots being a bitch it makes for a hard course.

Theres one hole that totally screwed me and im not even sure if i was the problem. I had 3 perfect swings with a flop, straight line, but instead of flopping its like as if i was on 'punch'. So i kept going from one side of the green to the other. Heck even showed my wife to make sure i wasnt dreaming this.

I've had the flop issue several times myself. Thought I was going crazy 😜

Griss

Played my first two rounds. First round had 7-10 mph winds, perfectly manageable. I hit every fairway and every green in regulation. Problem was I was missing short putts like crazy. It came to a head on hole number 10 where I three putted from 5 feet. Seriously. And I was missing these all day up until then.

Was totally exasperated and wanted to throw the controller, but thought 'if you stick with it they'll start to fall'. From hole 11 onwards:

LDWJdfql.jpg

Damn, that felt good. So damn good. Every green in regulation bar one in the end, with the exception of the famous 17th, where I chipped in from only 5 feet or so.

Anyway, my second round was 15mph winds and the pin positions are way harder. I was +1 after about 14 holes, but recovered for a -3 of 69. I love the way that in this game you can play pretty much the same quality golf two rounds in a row and shoot 10 strokes more or less due to conditions and bad/good breaks and whether putts fall or not. It's so true to real life golf that it's addictive.

So I decided that this was a good omen and I should go out and play for real, and after months of playing poorly I shot a 41 on the back 9 of my local, which is a good score for me and just two off my best on that 9. Missed two three footers, too. Pretty pleased. We won't talk about the front 9...

I don't think that's a bug, it has happened to me a couple of times. I think that if you're in any way off with your flop shot you have a chance to 'blade it'. Which like it real golf sends it flying flow for 2 to 3 times the distance you wanted. If you're not perfect-perfect on your swing I think this has a chance to happen. Maybe it is a bug, but I like to think it's intentional to nerf what is still the most overpowered shot in the game.

Great round Griss and nice job irl as well.

RE the flop shot discussion:

I had a flop shot do something similar one time in the game and fly way longer than I expected (which ended up in the water too) and I saved the replay and immediately analyzed it.

Turns out the conditions were that I was striking from a severe downslope in the short rough and my swing accuracy was off to the left but barely still inside the red accuracy cone. I think the downslope had more to do with it than anything and thats a pretty rare lie to shoot from in the game. You pretty much have to be in the rough or sand.

RodzTF

Just had probably what was my worst round ever. +18 on Arcadian Springs in my Career. I'm handicap +5.

The inconsistent putting in this game really fucking grinds my gears. I've got a short video that I need making into a GIF that perfectly resembles the extent of the putting.

Looks like we are losing some people. I believe only 8 people played the Sawgrass tourney. Don't care, still love playing so I will continue to add events.

New event. The Crescent Serpent. Saw some screenshots of this one, haven't played it myself. Looks great.

Looks like we are losing some people. I believe only 8 people played the Sawgrass tourney. Don't care, still love playing so I will continue to add events.

New event. The Crescent Serpent. Saw some screenshots of this one, haven't played it myself. Looks great.

I'm still in!! Good times!

-NeoTB1-

I've had some health issues going around in my family, so play time has been very limited the past week+. Thanks for continuing to host events, though!

I will try outlast everyone here until its just you and I left, and only then will I have a chance to win one of these tournaments...

RodzTF

Is it cheeky to ask if a fresh season can be started after the current event is over? I'd feel more inclined to take part in new events if I could compete on level pegging. And that way people who have picked up the game in the month after launch all stand in even stead. The current leaderboards can be documented in here?

Played the first two rounds and had to grind my ass off for the birdies I got. That opening round 63 feels insurmountable right now. Nice job!

HercRaato

Sure was rusty after missing a week. I also upgraded my clubs and Struggled to a 76 first round. Mostly due to 3 holes. Turned it around with a 65 in the second round and a 72 in the third round, but the wheels came off in the fourth round. Winds of 12 to 14 mph really caused me problems. When I played the wind it didn't come back. When I ignored it it pulled my shots all over the place. Then 3 putting 4 times inside of 9 ft just destroyed any hope I had of a respectable round.

I just don't get it sometimes. You read a break and play it, but other times it's straight and still breaks. I will keep plugging along as long as I have funds to enter tournaments.

Griss

Regarding our discussion about blading flop shots, just caught it on video. Listen, you can't say you're good at the game until you can 'intentionally' blade the ball off of the pin then totally shank a putt straight into the hole. Like me. I was laughing my ass off, these two breaks probably saved me a bunch of shots. This has convinced me further that this isn't a bug, though. I was fast on the downswing and didn't catch the ball right. I like this as a piece of game design.

Also, playing the 17th on the Sawgrass was awesome. Love that hole in real life. On the last round they had the pin position perfect to what it is in the actual championship. I knew I was in contention, went straight for the pin and rinsed my ball in the water, it could have stayed up, but died off the wooden partition wall. Recovered with a beauty to make bogey though. Video here. That was a fun tourney, well won by BigSoftee. What sunk me was too much of this. Happened to me about 6 times during the tourney. It's my big flaw.

Great course choice as always. Really enjoyed it.

As for losing people... it's natural after a game's launch, and this is a website that just doesn't favour sports gamers unfortunately. Maybe a handicap tournament or two might get weaker players to play but at this stage I imagine it's just those of us who are decent at the game left.

Is it cheeky to ask if a fresh season can be started after the current event is over? I'd feel more inclined to take part in new events if I could compete on level pegging. And that way people who have picked up the game in the month after launch all stand in even stead. The current leaderboards can be documented in here?

Doesn't bother me.

Played the first two rounds and had to grind my ass off for the birdies I got. That opening round 63 feels insurmountable right now. Nice job!

Cheers, I thought I posted a decent number last time out and you killed it (-36 to -29) so I won't be taking anything for granted.

Sure was rusty after missing a week. I also upgraded my clubs and Struggled to a 76 first round. Mostly due to 3 holes. Turned it around with a 65 in the second round and a 72 in the third round, but the wheels came off in the fourth round. Winds of 12 to 14 mph really caused me problems. When I played the wind it didn't come back. When I ignored it it pulled my shots all over the place. Then 3 putting 4 times inside of 9 ft just destroyed any hope I had of a respectable round.

I just don't get it sometimes. You read a break and play it, but other times it's straight and still breaks. I will keep plugging along as long as I have funds to enter tournaments.

I'm pretty sure there's a known bug on certain putts that break left from around 5-15ft where the break shows as pure flat when it's actually left. If I see a putt of that length that is flat - PURE flat - then I often try to guess right. Sometimes it works.

I had an awful 4 rounds in this latest society tourney and have hit a wall in this game and need some help

my big weakness is I can rarely land a shot on the green anywhere near the pin and have tried a lot of different ideas to dial in the distance and am just wondering what works best for those who don't struggle in this area

When approaching the green...

-how often are you using fades and draws?
-is there a scenario where you use fades/draws in the opposite direction of the wind?
-is there a scenario where you use a fade/draw in the same direction of the wind?
-how often are you adjusting the loft up or down and do you have any advice for not adjusting this too far in either direction?
-do you ever intentionally try to achieve a backswing and/or downswing that are not perfect in tempo?
-on approach shots do you ever attempt half or 3/4th swings to adjust for distance?

any other tips about this general topic would be appreciated

I had an awful 4 rounds in this latest society tourney and have hit a wall in this game and need some help

my big weakness is I can rarely land a shot on the green anywhere near the pin and have tried a lot of different ideas to dial in the distance and am just wondering what works best for those who don't struggle in this area

-how often are you using fades and draws? pretty much never
-is there a scenario where you use fades/draws in the opposite direction of the wind?nope
-is there a scenario where you use a fade/draw in the same direction of the wind?nope
-how often are you adjusting the loft up or down and do you have any advice for not adjusting this too far in either direction?I'll only adjust up or down 3 clicks, seems to be about 3 yards per click.
-do you ever intentionally try to achieve a backswing and/or downswing that are not perfect in tempo?nope
-on approach shots do you ever attempt half or 3/4th swings to adjust for distance?Only on bunker shots and chips

As for general tips, this is what I try to do:

Adjust for wind, 1 yard per mph outside of 125, 1/2 yard per mph inside of 125. also elevation seems to make a big difference on how the wind affects shots.
Adjust for slope, I'm not great at this. I just try to visualize the flight path much like in real golf. Slope is feel for me.
Biggest thing to remember is that distances displayed are carry only. 3 irons can release 10-15 yards in this game. I basically do this:

Lw-pw-- try to land the number to the pin
9i-7i-- 5-7 yards short
6i-5i-- could be 10 or more, the longer the club the trickier it is, as it should be.

Also just like real golf, there are some pins that aren't worth going for. Depending on the situation I have no problem going for center of the green, two putting and moving on. Might even drain a good putt once in a while.

Hope this helps some and good luck!

HercRaato

-how often are you using fades and draws?no
-is there a scenario where you use fades/draws in the opposite direction of the wind?no
-is there a scenario where you use a fade/draw in the same direction of the wind?no
-how often are you adjusting the loft up or down and do you have any advice for not adjusting this too far in either direction?2 clicks max for me usually to shorten a distance
-do you ever intentionally try to achieve a backswing and/or downswing that are not perfect in tempo?quite a bit. A slow back swing with perfect downswing usually stops the ball at the stated in the air distance
-on approach shots do you ever attempt half or 3/4th swings to adjust for distance?only when close on chips or in bunkers.....every once in a while I am between clubs so I take the longer club, adjust the loft up then use a slow/perfect swing or try to.

I am not real good, but I do feel like I am still making progress every round my putting kills me more than anything. I just can't get the breaks figured out I either read to much or not enough.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I still cannot putt worth a damn. Christ, is that frustrating...

Klocker

It's helpful to remember that speed and Line work together so if you are too fast on the roll it will power through the break.
you have to time the speed to roll with the break into the hole just like real golf.

Also I made my camera one click past the default. It is just slightly higher than the default camera (not high) and you can kind of see how far back your actually pulling your putter as that's what I use for my feedback.

It's surprising how little you need to pull it back on faster greens to get it to go the right distance. I also don't slam the stick all the way back with putting I just gently pull it back and let it come slowly and then push forward when I hit my mark.

That said I am not great either but I am happy when I can lag close to the hole for a tap-in or a short putt out. Fast greens are my Nemesis I keep pushing it way past the hole. the goal is to try to stop the ball 18 in pass the cup...for Speed.

Also on a general note I have found I am enjoying the game much more since I turned off all of the feedback. I am less concerned about making a perfectly straight shot or perfect Tempo. I just go by feel and results now and it has allowed me to enjoy the game and actually play a little better.

Haha

Ive come a long way with my putting here is what works for me

-figure out visually with the putter backswing or feel how to consistently hit a 5, 10, 20, 30 and 40 ft distance with your putt consistently. The 30 and 40 ft distances took awhile for me. Its really a feel and/or visual cue more than anything and the putting training is a good place to do this. For one of the distances (40 ft think) i wait to see the light reflect off the putter while you are pulling back.

-Ensure you move the marker along the vertical axis to get a more accurate read on how much elevation change there is for the entire path to the hole. Dont just take the number they display above the hole as how much you need to adjust.

-If that number is +1 foot you need to know how many inches it is at the hole so you can adjust more accurately. You also want to see how long the elevation change is in play. If Its up or downhill the entire putt you need to significantly adjust your power to account for this to try your best to get it close to the hole.

-Set the vertical axis marker at your intended distance after doing the math. This will help autocorrect the distance if you get it close enough apparently.

-the side to side breaks are just experience and trial and error. Most of the side to side reads are only to 1 direction and are pretty consistent for the entire path of the putt. I move the marker left/right and try to visualize the midpoint/apex of the putt's curve and then look at the moving markers at each level to see how the ball will react. Like the poster above said the pace is really important to all of this

-the only other thing ive learned is putts that have some break and then the last 1 or 2 squares before the hole show no break at all will usually break back the opposite way a little bit right before the hole if you get the pace correct

brentech

Has the new season started yet for the society? I got behind trying to keep up with multiple societies and just want to focus on one now.

Top Bottom