• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club 2 |OT| High Society

PS4 folks, new tournament is underway! 400 buy in, I have changed the payouts to the players to 60% from 50%. Society is up to level 4, good job guys. This is the first user created course we have done.

HercRaato

Just picked this up today and joined the PS4 society. Looking forward to getting me but kicked. Anyone who wants to add me GT is HercRaato just put gaf in the request

I actually really like this course. I rated it 5*, kudos to the guy that created it. A lot of different elevations and some nice water holes.

Griss

Was going to start R2 of Northern Forest and I got that bug someone else showed earlier.

DEacPxYXgAAp295.jpg

GG

Yup I posted a video about in here right after launch.

Just to let you guys know since there's no sign of an emergency patch... Best way around this is to continue after you finish a tournament round, hit your tee shot on the next round, THEN quit. This is the only protection currently available - always do this.

You must press continue to immediately jump into the next round.

I actually really like this course. I rated it 5*, kudos to the guy that created it. A lot of different elevations and some nice water holes.

Yea I agree its a great course. The views on a lot of the holes with the waterfalls in the distance are amazing.

I had my best round in the PS4 tournaments so far with a -8 in the first round that currently has me in the lead where everything came together and I hit smart shots on some of the trickier gimmick holes with extreme elevation changes to avoid any disasters. Ive come a long way from my +26 in the first tourney, but im still not where I need to be. Im still using the standard clubs so u can shoot decent scores with them I guess...

Some tips for those still learning the game that ive used to improve:

1-practice your swings on the driving range until you find a reliable way to get your swing to go straight. With the standard clubs my swing is pretty much never outside the red cone and usually straight down the middle after a little repetition and practice

2-swap your 5w for the 2h in your golf bag to get a better option for regular distance approach shots

3-never adjust the loft of anything other than driver swings higher than 2 taps of the d-pad up as it always ruins my shots completely and makes the distance unpredictable

4-and never adjust up more than 1 tap while hitting out of the sand or on a steep incline.

5-Use the range finder on drives and approaches (circle button on ps4) to try to gauge distances and keep in mind the elevation changes will affect where u expect your drives to land and end up rolling to

6-Before every non-drive, hold L2 and check the elevation of where you are standing and adjust your shot aim left or right if neccesary before you even take the wind into account

7-Use the shot shape fade/draw to counter small wind gusts blowing to your left or right rather than aiming. One tap left/right on the shot shaper is usually good enough to offset 5-6 mph winds.

8-Adjust your aim on putts going downhill slightly more outside than the greens read

9-If you end up in the fringe its usually a better idea to putt rather than chip at most distances unless the greens are breaking hard left or right

10-Take note that at some situations near the hole the game may display distances in feet/yards when you are expecting it the other way. Make sure to do the math before u make a bad mistake and fly a pitch/flop well past the hole or hit a putt well short from the fringe.

This stuff is probably second nature to some of you so I mean no disrespect. Hopefully one of those tips here helps any of the non-experts here enjoy the game a little more...

HercRaato

Yea I agree its a great course. The views on a lot of the holes with the waterfalls in the distance are amazing.

I had my best round in the PS4 tournaments so far with a -8 in the first round that currently has me in the lead where everything came together and I hit smart shots on some of the trickier gimmick holes with extreme elevation changes to avoid any disasters. Ive come a long way from my +26 in the first tourney, but im still not where I need to be. Im still using the standard clubs so u can shoot decent scores with them I guess...

Some tips for those still learning the game that ive used to improve:

1-practice your swings on the driving range until you find a reliable way to get your swing to go straight. With the standard clubs my swing is pretty much never outside the red cone and usually straight down the middle after a little repetition and practice

2-swap your 5w for the 2h in your golf bag to get a better option for regular distance approach shots

3-never adjust the loft of anything other than driver swings higher than 2 taps of the d-pad up as it always ruins my shots completely and makes the distance unpredictable

4-and never adjust up more than 1 tap while hitting out of the sand or on a steep incline.

5-Use the range finder on drives and approaches (circle button on ps4) to try to gauge distances and keep in mind the elevation changes will affect where u expect your drives to land and end up rolling to

6-Before every non-drive, hold L2 and check the elevation of where you are standing and adjust your shot aim left or right if neccesary before you even take the wind into account

7-Use the shot shape fade/draw to counter small wind gusts blowing to your left or right rather than aiming. One tap left/right on the shot shaper is usually good enough to offset 5-6 mph winds.

8-Adjust your aim on putts going downhill slightly more outside than the greens read

9-If you end up in the fringe its usually a better idea to putt rather than chip at most distances unless the greens are breaking hard left or right

10-Take note that at some situations near the hole the game may display distances in feet/yards when you are expecting it the other way. Make sure to do the math before u make a bad mistake and fly a pitch/flop well past the hole or hit a putt well short from the fringe.

This stuff is probably second nature to some of you so I mean no disrespect. Hopefully one of those tips here helps any of the non-experts here enjoy the game a little more...

Thanks for the tips. Putting and reading the amount of break just seems random at times.

Thanks for the tips. Putting and reading the amount of break just seems random at times.

Yea it can be infuriating at times. I have been adjusting the marker forwards and backwards as someone mentioned earlier in the thread and the auto correction has helped my distance control a lot.

I started also reading the elevation changes along the entire track of the putt with this as well when I used to just adjust my distance over the final number of how many feet or inches it was up or down and its helped me nail some tough long putts

brentech

It's really all about getting a feel for both putting in general, but even different courses have different green speeds. So it may feel random, but once you get a feel for a course, you can usually dial it in.

I consider myself a decent putter, but some games I nail everything and sometimes I struggle to read the green.

Like, I just hit this putt. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the slopes, but I make a quick read and go with my gut feeling on the power. Just takes practice, just like real golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvbVDKhP8Y

It's really all about getting a feel for both putting in general, but even different courses have different green speeds. So it may feel random, but once you get a feel for a course, you can usually dial it in.

I consider myself a decent putter, but some games I nail everything and sometimes I struggle to read the green.

Like, I just hit this putt. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the slopes, but I make a quick read and go with my gut feeling on the power. Just takes practice, just like real golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvbVDKhP8Y

Nice putt. Good call on the green speeds too, I need to pay more attention to that early in rounds

It took a little while for me but I can now accurately measure a 5, 10 and 20 ft putt just by how the backswing looks. For putts much longer than that I dont usually fare as well with distance and my reads are pretty streaky.

HercRaato

Fast greens can just go to hell!! Just when I think I am figuring it out. Sigh. I'll join the next tournament. I am still working on the basics

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does this game support the Pro???

I think the game actually performs worse on the Pro for some reason.

There are tons of frame rate hitches that occur in the exact same places (during flyover, every time the ball gets within a few inches of the hole, etc). Apparently these hitches don't happen on a normal PS4.

brentech

I think the game actually performs worse on the Pro for some reason.

There are tons of frame rate hitches that occur in the exact same places (during flyover, every time the ball gets within a few inches of the hole, etc). Apparently these hitches don't happen on a normal PS4.
I have personally noticed less problems with my Pro than with my OG PS4

Griss

Whoever chose this course deserves a raise from the society. Spectacular.

As for my tourney, I was raging. Had two triple bogeys that killed me. I was only 4 back of softy with 7 to play and on an absolute roll of -5 over the last 4 holes when my second triple killed me... And I was on the Fringe in 3. The hardest shot in the game is a 5 yard chip which is ridiculous. Took 4 shots to get down from a 5 yard chip.

Twice I failed to get on that massively raised green in front of the waterfall and took penalties which hurt. Missed two 3 foot putts which is unacceptable. Worst was that par 5 where it doesn't give you the distance to the middle island - I rinsed two balls there guessing the distance wrong.

But man, what a fun, gorgeous course. In one round I had three eagles which is when you know you're having fun. Lots of risk and reward out there. Might post one of the eagles later, it was a fun approach off the slope on the 2nd.

Hope my current 2nd place holds because I'm broke in game lol, I need the coins

Whoever chose this course deserves a raise from the society. Spectacular.

Twice I failed to get on that massively raised green in front of the waterfall and took penalties which hurt. Missed two 3 foot putts which is unacceptable. Worst was that par 5 where it doesn't give you the distance to the middle island - I rinsed two balls there guessing the distance wrong.

That raised green with the waterfalls... FUUUUUUUUUU

bigjig

Is there a cut in this game? Massively screwed up my first round in a tournament and now I just want to miss the cut to move on to the next event..

I should finish tonight. I'm in the middle of a move. I set the tournament, did the first round and the next day I was moving. Hopefully I can finish today because I think it ends tonight at some point. Could be wrong and it's tomorrow.

The first round I just shot safe all the way to the right as I didnt want to overshoot and end up wet and it landed on the right edge of the green which was better than I expected.

All the other rounds I shot aggressively and I landed close to the pin and blew the putts anyway... It was just 1 club up from the recommended one each time and I landed safely.

Griss

The first round I just shot safe all the way to the right as I didnt want to overshoot and end up wet and it landed on the right edge of the green which was better than I expected.

All the other rounds I shot aggressively and I landed close to the pin and blew the putts anyway... It was just 1 club up from the recommended one each time and I landed safely.

Indeed, the hole is clearly set up that you move from your sand wedge to your pitching wedge and that's a perfect distance (on player clubs, anyway - 120 yards).

Problem is that the two times I went in the water I had a 12 mph wind into me and then a 14 mph wind behind me and I just couldn't judge the loft adjustment needed.

Do we all get the same wind conditions per round? Not sure about that. I had two very windy rounds, although that was the only hole where it really killed me.

I agree the course was great. Thought I was gonna blow up in the final round when out of nowhere I started hitting everything way right. +5 through that three hole stretch but recovered by the end. Shame cause I started out out -3 thru 3 holes. The raised green you guys are talking about got me in round 3, previously I had aimed right and played for par but got greedy and payed for it lol.

I played an Augusta National replica today and it was extremely well done. Very very difficult greens that are lightning fast. Whoever made it did an outstanding job, booked it as a favorite and look forward to playing it again.

@Griss -- I had two windy rounds as well but I don't remember which rounds they were.

Griss

I agree the course was great. Thought I was gonna blow up in the final round when out of nowhere I started hitting everything way right. +5 through that three hole stretch but recovered by the end. Shame cause I started out out -3 thru 3 holes. The raised green you guys are talking about got me in round 3, previously I had aimed right and played for par but got greedy and payed for it lol.

I played an Augusta National replica today and it was extremely well done. Very very difficult greens that are lightning fast. Whoever made it did an outstanding job, booked it as a favorite and look forward to playing it again.

@Griss -- I had two windy rounds as well but I don't remember which rounds they were.

It was probably Magnolia National you played. If you like a course always browse that creator's courses - that same dude (theCLV) made an amazing version of St. Andrews. Those are probably my two favourite real courses in the game, along with Pebble Beach.

Also, if you guys are looking for an eye-candy course (though not as bombastic as the one we just played), try Royal Ethalwind. Utterly gorgeous fictional course by a guy called ArcticFury.

It was probably Magnolia National you played. If you like a course always browse that creator's courses - that same dude (theCLV) made an amazing version of St. Andrews. Those are probably my two favourite real courses in the game, along with Pebble Beach.

Also, if you guys are looking for an eye-candy course (though not as bombastic as the one we just played), try Royal Ethalwind. Utterly gorgeous fictional course by a guy called ArcticFury.

That's it. I'll have to try the others this weekend.

naku

What's the name of the course in the event? I Won't be back home before the event is finished, but would like to play the course.

Been trying the Tour clubs again tonight and damn it's hard to hit Driver straight. Had a couple cool things happen though..

Sank a 79' putt!!
Birdied hole 18 on that Augusta National replica from the back tees with tour clubs to shoot an even round 72. The whole round was so fun.

New event is up for PS4 GAF! Buy in is 500, 60% of that goes toward the purse to the players at the end. I added another 500 bonus from the club payout as well. Have fun! I am so bad at this game lol.

HercRaato

Argh my putting is still crap. As long as I am making progress, but it feels like every time I think I figure something out it goes to crap.lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The frame rate spikes on the ps pro have screwed up too many of my shots. These devs have one job- just maintain a smooth frame rate while swinging the club. How did they fuck up this bad.

I think it's tied to network activity. The game just randomly decides to communicate with the server, and every time it does the frame rate drops to 0 fps for a half second.

The frame rate spikes on the ps pro have screwed up too many of my shots. These devs have one job- just maintain a smooth frame rate while swinging the club. How did they fuck up this bad.

I think it's tied to network activity. The game just randomly decides to communicate with the server, and every time it does the frame rate drops to 0 fps for a half second.

Agreed man, drives me nuts.

-NeoTB1-

I've been working on a custom course for the past week. It's definitely much easier to work on than the last game (PS4). I'm pretty excited about the number of tools/objects we have at our disposal. If all goes well it should be published within the week.

I made a little montage of some of my best putts so far in this game

https://youtu.be/yS_6jP79RFE

Adjusting the distance vertically has been a game changer since it was brought up earlier in the thread.

It also helps to be able to tell how much to adjust up or down since the game doesnt always give you accurate numbers when it goes to 1ft up or down for some reason.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Adjusting the distance vertically has been a game changer since it was brought up earlier in the thread.

It also helps to be able to tell how much to adjust up or down since the game doesnt always give you accurate numbers when it goes to 1ft up or down for some reason.

It is bizarre that it stops reporting height when it reaches a foot.

Griss

This current course and I do NOT see eye to eye. Horrible.

I'm convinced that you're 100% right about the bolded. The game just communicates with the server way too much, all the time. It's why the menus are slow, why there are random drops etc. The fact that it doesn't even store your personal stats locally but has to fetch them from the server is when you've taken it to ridiculous levels imo.

Klocker

Wait. What are you referring too regarding verticality?

brentech

I had a hard time with the course. Rushed through my 3rd & 4th rounds. I use player clubs and had a difficult time getting onto the greens in regulation on the par 4s. Almost always falling just short...requiring a chip in for a birdie.
A pretty bleh experience.

Top Bottom