• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GS Warriors Are NBA Champions; Hold The Record For Best Postseason Record at 16-1

As an OKC fan I'm happy for Durant (and David West!). Someday I'll get over how Presti's hubris slowly ate away at the team but I'm just happy KD was able to get his.

bionic77

I find it funny all this hostility exists over what the Warriors did, when they basically did it because LeBron, Wade, and Bosh (along with Ray Allen later) maneuvered their way into the Not 1, Not 2, Not 3 Superteam. The best player in the world basically needing another top 5 talent and another top 10 guy.

...and then when they got old, LeBron did it again by leaving town and teaming up with one of the most devastating offensive weapons in the league and Love who was considered a top 10 talent (he was a scoring and rebounding machine).
There are always going to be haters.

And in an NBA thread? That is like the lifeblood of these threads. And NBA thread without hate is like an E3 thread without GIFs.

There is a real cycle to this shit. First we root for our team and focus exclusively on them. Once our team starts to suck and gets eliminated we look at the teams remaining and find ways to shit on them to make ourselves feel better about the fact that our team sucks. When a clear favorite emerges we root hard for every underdog and bring out our hottest takes to diminish what that team is doing. If the underdog somehow wins we all celebrates because that really good team is a loser just like our team. If the best team wins then we start flinging salt and hot takes everywhere in a last ditch attempt to minimize their accomplishments.

This is the GAF NBA cycle.

Tommy DJ

That's awesome. I wonder if the Cavs would have done the same (Lebron hates Trump for one).

Richard Jefferson said their meeting with Obama would likely be their last. Which really says everything about the Cavs position on the matter.

A good number of teams have boycotted Trump's hotels and a good number of coaches have openly trashed Trump when given the opportunity. There's no chance a team is visiting Trump any time soon, especially when the front runners to winning a championship is limited to Cavs, Warriors and maaaaaaaybe Spurs.

Congrats Warriors. You were the better team and played much better on both sides. No injuries, no ejections, no excuses. I'm just glad the Cavs won last year because I don't know if we can beat you again. Even if we somehow get George for Love, that's still a big 3 versus a big 4, and Lebron isn't getting any younger. The lesson of game 5 is that you can't get behind the Warriors basically at all, or you can only if you can play great defense, which the Cavs can't. So we lost the game in the second quarter and could never close the gap afterwards. Up by 8, things going great...and then reality hit hard. I'll dream of an alternative universe in which Durant was called for foul three for smacking Lebron, sending him to the bench for the half, and maybe (big maybe) the Cavs collapse never happened.

Amory

Wow turns out if you get most of the best players on one team, they do pretty well

What an achievement

Jon Armdog

A team with three of the top 15 players in the league needed to bring in a top 3 player in the league to beat Lebron

I'm mostly a salty LeBron hater, but this is real. One of my biggest takeaways from the past two seasons is how incredible LeBron is. I've never seen anything like it. I'm trying to leverage my bias of watching LeBron so recently compared to Jordan, but I'm having trouble convincing myself that LeBron isn't the GOAT.

I mean, last year's comeback was otherworldly. And part of me legitimately thought after game 4 that LeBron would put the team on his back and make another run.

Anyway, go Mavs. And screw DWade and LeBron, and the Heat. Just had to get that in there

Amory

Is that not how it works in every sport? The team with the best players usually wins?

Not with virtual certainty before the first game of the regular season is played, no.

The Warriors are going to be a problem for the NBA.

Ripenen

Not with virtual certainty before the first game of the regular season is played, no.

The Warriors are going to be a problem for the NBA.

The Warriors aren't the problem. If anything they are the solution. Smart drafting and talent management, smart coaching, team-focused play.

Bad management on the part of other teams is a bigger problem for the NBA.

CueMan

Banned
Begging KD to come play for you because you can't beat the Cavs and a 32 year old LBJ isn't what super teams do

Amory

The Warriors aren't the problem. If anything they are the solution. Smart drafting and talent management, smart coaching, team-focused play.

Bad management on the part of other teams is a bigger problem for the NBA.

I think a lot more people felt good about the Warriors before KD. They were a great team built from scratch, hard to complain about that.

But post-KD, fuck the Warriors. If they don't win the next 3 at least with that core, they're failures

Anth0ny

I think a lot more people felt good about the Warriors before KD. They were a great team built from scratch, hard to complain about that.

But post-KD, fuck the Warriors. If they don't win the next 3 at least with that core, they're failures

it's kinda true though. heat got the exact same treatment during the big three era.

I LOVED watching the warriors last year. the steph curry supernova was an unforgettable ride and fun as fuck to watch.

but I could not bring myself to care about them after they got durant. I fully acknowledge that everything they did was legit and within the rules but I will never respect top players in their prime leaving their already amazing teams to join even more amazing-er teams.

KD's move is even more fucked up than Lebron's to the heat tbh. he fucking lost to GS in the CONFERENCE FINALS last year. after being up on them 3-1. he ditched his own team to join the team that beat him. like... fucking WHAT.

Trey

between the asterisk people were giving them for winning in 2015, and then going 73-9, and then Curry getting unanimous MVP, most people had them at supervillain status. We are a nation of haters after all, and the Warriors have been the best team in the league for a while now. Doesn't matter that they built their team "the right way," or drafted smart, or were able to sign the best free agent on the market fair and square like every other NBA team would try to do.

all it does it add fuel to the fire

I've been a Dubs fan since 1998, this notion that all Warriors fans are all bandwagoners is a lazy narrative that completely overlooks the We Believe era.

That 2001 Lakers team was really great but it played some weak competition; certainly, no team that matched this year's Cavs. I'd say what puts the Warriors ahead is the superior point differential in the playoffs and far superior regular season.

Boy. Stop. When did you start watching ball? 2015?

bionic77

A fucking Men.

Shaq/Kobe/Fox/Rob/Fish

Would eat them alive. Perfect inside outside scoring team.
I am a huge Lakers fan and I would say it would depend on what rules they play under.

If they play with zone defense the Warriors would win. They did not have the outside shooting to keep up with this team. If they play without it the Lakers win easily.

They were totally different teams.

I feel like the Lakers played better competition (though not in the finals) and never got blown out so as far as playoff dominance I still think they are the gold standard but no one is going to laugh at you for saying the Warriors run was better this year.

Probably threadworthy once it gets confirmed.

It was confirmed on the radio.
I just heard that the Warriors voted UNANIMOUSLY to skip the White House visit.

Although I'm sure we'll hear that they weren't going to be invited anyway due to Trump being too busy or something.

Warriors should go visit Obama in his home
Make trump mad af

OMG, I would love that. They should definitely do that. Huge photo op and media event.
Invite him to a post season shoot around, play a little 3v3 with Obama on the Warriors practice gym.

You can't really bank on that, drafting is hard af
Manu the 🐐 was like the 59th pick

That's why Lacob is dumb af to talk shit

Lacob may put out some dumb quotes (I still side with the fans that booed him on Mullie appreciation night) but there's no denying that his direct moves were brilliant too. He immediately hired the logo for consulting, kept Larry Riley on board (gm who drafted Curry) and made bob Myers the gm, which was unprecedented and brilliant (Myers was a sports agent who didn't have any experience on the franchise side of things but his penchant for dealing with players was very evident).

GRaider81

This thread makes for fascinating reading regarding KDs move to another team.

You guys couldn't handle the Judas levels of player movement that goes on in European football.

I hardly feel Durant earned this. He is a top three player who joined a championship team just to win.

I prefer competition myself and would rather beat the better team than pile my team and beat the obviously weaker team.

I'm not saying he cant do what he wants, definitely can but I hardly feel he earned this. He played well though. I hardly felt the same about his play from last year and this year though.

Take any top 50 player and put them in Durants place and they would likely win.

Will be interesting to see what happens as contracts expire. Green, curry, Thompson and Durant won't be together too long.

Top Bottom