• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll get things started:

tanod said:
You don't sound like you even have a PS3 so I'll humor you and answer the question.

1) The multiplayer gameplay is the same, if not better because of the slight technical advantages of the PS3 version

2)They both support the same community features on the Rock Star social club website.

3) If the DLC isn't good enough to justify its price, it might as well not exist.

4) Beef up your PS3 friends list. Plenty of people on GAF that you know have PS3s and will be picking up this game.

FIGHT!!

Nif

-There was a rumor that the 360 DLC would be the size of Vice City or San Andreas. This is FALSE. It was a misinterpretation of RS talking about the sizes of their previous games, and how they were chapters in the GTAIII universe, much like the new chapters of GTAIV will bring (which would be sequels, not content).

You might want to add why and how this was proven false.

FIREBABY

Jtyettis said:
Choice is made and paid for. There is no thread that can change this for me and probably very few outside of the very, very hardcore that there choice isn't solid at this point either.

Let the games begin.

What developer, what source.
Which did you choose?

Well, I had decided to get the PS3 version from the start since i'm a Live Silver member and being able to play GTA IV fully on the 360 would have cost me an extra $50. Knowing that the PS3 version is technically superior (even if it's slight) came as a surprise to me, though.

Doc Evils

chubigans add this too:

P: Let's talk about the hardware issues. Back when GTA4 was delayed, PS3 technical hurdles were cited as a contributing factor. I take it those have been ironed out.

SH: I don't know what anybody's said on that stuff. I didn't say anything, and I stay out of it.... Both machines are absolutely fantastic, but they both come with strengths and weaknesses. The strength of the 360 is a very, very accessible, familiar, effective environment to work in. You're making the game from the get-go, everyone understands its PC environment -- boom, off we go. It's pretty good. One of the problems with the 360, and it affects games like Grand Theft Auto if you think about how much content we put in the actual machine, is the fact that they don't have a significantly larger storage medium than the previous systems. It's a slightly bigger DVD disc.

1UP: Plus, you're not guaranteed a hard drive in every system.

SH: That's a complicated one. I met with a bunch of the senior fellows from [Microsoft]. I said, that's kind of complicated.... The upshot of the technical challenges we've experienced on either the 360 or on the PS3 is [that] both companies stepped up to the plate and have supported us in a way that was beyond even my greedy expectations. They've been amazing. I think that the 360 is going to have to get 'round this issue we're talking about. I can think of various ways they can do it. Hopefully, they're going to adopt one of those in the next year or so, because it's going to become more of an issue. If we're filling up the disc right now, where are we going? It's not like our games are going to get any smaller. I think that issue's on the table with a bunch of games right now. I'm sure they'll come through with an intelligent solution.

Getting things running on the PS3 initially was challenging. I think it was challenging for a lot of companies, but it's also a machine where, now that we've got comfortable with it -- I don't want to say we've cracked it, but we've got comfortable with it -- we know we can make our games. We're at a point now where the games pretty much look identical side by side. There's a slight difference in the way they look. I think that's to do with really low-level technical stuff that I'm not the guy to explain. The 360 games have a certain look to them; PS3 games have a certain look to them. I like the way [the PS3] renders. There's a certain kind of softness without being blurry -- some warmth to it -- and then there's a certain more clinical element to how the 360 looks. Both have plusses and minuses. As far as I'm concerned, they're neck and neck now. That's very much our goal; we do not want to get in the middle of that rather heated, fervent debate.... These guys who wanna defend their systems, you know what? Good on 'em, and let them do it. We just didn't want to give them something that would in any way fuel it....

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3167500

h3ro

Captain Pants said:
Best thread title ever. Who wants popcorn?

Me, NO artificial butter please... I need my arteries clear so I can lulz at this thread with out threat of a heart attack...

FrankT

FIREBABY said:
Which did you choose?

As a multiplatform owner I'm going 360. Too many IRL friends on Live and I want the choice of exclusive episodic content. Just like Moore said many moons ago. There is no thread that can downplay this choice for me. To be honest however, I see no reason why the PS3 isn’t a sold choice at this point either. They both have their pros and cons, but in the end that is what the choice is all about. Red pill or blue.

Majmun

Getting the Ps3 version anyhow. The HDD install seems to make the game run better. And that is the most important thing for the first experience IMO.

FIREBABY

Jtyettis said:
As a multiplatform owner I'm going 360. Too many IRL friends on Live and I want the choice of exclusive episodic content. Just like Moore said many moons ago. There is no thread that can downplay this choice for me. To be honest however, I see no reason why the PS3 isn’t a sold choice at this point either. They both have their pros and cons, but in the end that is what the choice is all about. Red pill or blue.
Well put. 360 for me also. And for the same reasons. Slightly better graphics just isn't enough of a reason. Even if the PS3 gets its own DLC how long will I have to wait? When and if it gets it, I will pick up that version also. This shit is stupid. Folks just buy the game.

Raist

Banned
One of the problems with the 360, and it affects games like Grand Theft Auto if you think about how much content we put in the actual machine, is the fact that they don't have a significantly larger storage medium than the previous systems. It's a slightly bigger DVD disc.

huh ?

Raist

Banned
@FFObsessed and Doc> ah, gotcha. Thanks :lol

edit : wait, there were no dual layer PS2 games ? I'm pretty sure at least the FF games were. wtf ?

Sandman7

Captain Pants said:

Ironically I just had some (Butterkist Toffee) popcorn. Best popcorn ever.

And yes I am really glad this thread was made so all the entertainment and :lol 's are in one thread. I don't even want to get the game but all of GAF going apeshit over it is great.

Haunted

At least close a few of the other GTAIV threads that are on the first page. I mean, that's what official threads are for, right? Keep it all in one huge thread. Leave this one and the official one open and close the other three or so.

TheJollyCorner said:
why can't 360 fans and PS3 fans just get along?

arch-enemies need to join forces to combat the all encompassing Wii-Empire. :D
too late!

jet1911

Captain Pants said:

popcorn_100000.jpg

!

Doubledex

Banned
chubigans said:
The GTA IV Comparison Head-to-Head thead of lolipops and bitter fanboy tears
So we can see pop-ins, framerate issues and loadtimes in some screenshots? Great...

No really, end this thread. A 30 thead fanboy-bash thread was long aud "good" enough ;-(

Loudninja

Doubledex said:
So we can see pop-ins, framerate issues and loadtimes in some screenshots? Great...

No really, end this thread. A 30 thead fanboy-bash thread was long aud "good" enough ;-(

Try reading the first page, and you will know why this topic will not be close.

Kabuki Waq said:
EGM gave the nod to the ps3 version as well.

What will you think when you realize the 360 version is actually very good in the performance department?

Not that it really matters, but do we somehow have people on here who believe the 360 version is somehow a mess compared to the ps3 version or there is enough of a difference for anyone to say explicitly "we have ourselves a superior version here"?

Just talked to a friend who now has the official 360 copy of the game and he's saying pretty much what I expect everyone else to say when the time comes. "I don't see much of anything wrong with the 360 version. The performance is fantastic even with a lot of stuff happening. This is why it's such a waste of time clinging to every little thing said in a review."

I'm eager for the comparisons to hit, not because I think there will be a superior version, but so that everyone can see how pointless this entire debate is.

"On the IGN GTAIV podcast they said that the colors and sharpness are better on 360 though."

IGN needs to make up their mind.

Doc Evils

ascii42 said:
Which is odd, because PS2 games could be on dual layer discs.

IIRC early PS2's did not play dual layer, but you could send it to Sony so they would upgrade the DVD drive so it could.

Loudninja

CowboyAstronaut said:
What will you think when you realize the 360 version is actually very good in the performance department?

Not that it really matters, but do we somehow have people on here who believe the 360 version is somehow a mess compared to the ps3 version or there is enough of a difference for anyone to say explicitly "we have ourselves a superior version here"?

Just talked to a friend who now has the official 360 copy of the game and he's saying pretty much what I expect everyone else to say when the time comes. "I don't see much of anything wrong with the 360 version. The performance is fantastic even with a lot of stuff happening. This is why it's such a waste of time clinging to every little thing said in a review."

I'm eager for the comparisons to hit, not because I think there will be a superior version, but so that everyone can see how pointless this entire debate is.

"On the IGN GTAIV podcast they said that the colors and sharpness are better on 360 though."

Wow, did he even say the 360 version was not good?

andycapps

Doc Evils said:
IIRC early PS2's did not play dual layer, but you could send it to Sony so they would upgrade the DVD drive so it could.

Not true, I have an almost launch PS2 and it reads them fine. Unless it was limited to the launch ones. There were a lot of disk read errors on old PS2's, but mine has never had much of a problem with that.

Ranger X

Ok if Gaf truly needs this thread this is not a good sign. This means we really are getting down the drain in matter of quality posting and maturity.

My fave part of these threads are

1) Console Fan X saying that the differences are negligible and how he hardly notices in grainy live feed.

2) Console Fan S saying that these are the defining factors in his choice. Definitive confirmed.

When both sides would swing 180 if the reports were saying the same things about Console of Choice.

Pathetic.

Evlar

Banned
Doc Evils said:
Hmm? Don't know about that. All PS2s were designed to read dual-layer discs, since they were all DVD players and most DVDs (even in 2000) use both layers. The early PS2s were often flawed and didn't read the second layer correctly but this was not the design intent.

Anyway, from my understanding 360 discs can hold slightly more data than XBox discs. I'd guess the increase is caused by a smaller security sector on the 360, but I don't know that with any certainty. And that's all I know about it.

CowboyAstronaut said:

wow bitter tears let me bathe in them.

I didnt say the 360 version looked crap. infact NO ONE called the 360 version a mess. It just looks worse than the ps3 version.

Yoboman

MMaRsu said:
On the IGN GTAIV podcast they said that the colors and sharpness are better on 360 though.
I listened to it, they said the 360 version was a bit brighter colour-wise. Then another person said "it looked a little sharper in resolution", but did not specify which platform he meant

ascii42

Doc Evils said:
Interesting, mine's from early 2001 and it reads them.

Doc Evils

Evlar said:
Hmm? Don't know about that. All PS2s were designed to read dual-layer discs, since they were all DVD players and most DVDs (even in 2000) use both layers. The early PS2s were often flawed and didn't read the second layer correctly but this was not the design intent.

Anyway, from my understanding 360 discs can hold slightly more data than XBox discs. I'd guess the increase is caused by a smaller security sector on the 360, but I don't know that with any certainty. And that's all I know about it.

That could be would I read read while back just not very clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom