• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mister D said:
Damn I'm now even more conflicted on which version to get.

PS3
+ Free online
+ "Better" graphics and performance

Xbox 360
+ DLC
+ Custom Soundtracks
+ Prefer the controller for driving in games
- Pay for online - currently a Silver member since most of the few games I play online can be bought on PS3

Damn Sony needs to get their heads out of their asses real quick and let me know if they are going to have universal custom soundtrack support since that's the only thing pushing me towards the 360 version. I don't give a damn about achievements and I have 3 free months of Gold I can use to get some multiplayer GTA in.

The DLC is tempting, but with every GTA game, the core content has always been sufficient for me to play the game for a really long time. And the main reason I'm getting this game is to screw around in the world they created after I beat it so I know I'll probably be playing by myself for hundreds of hours and listening to the same music, no matter how great the soundtrack is will get old. With the 360 I can stream all my music and play whatever kind of music fits my mood. Until Sony announces custom soundtrack support I'm stuck with the in game music which will get tiring after a couple hundred hours of play.

According to the OP the PS3 version also gets DLC, and any PS3 can take advantage of this feature unlike the 360. No word on custom soundtracks, but what would be the point of the radio stations?

darkressurection said:
from experience on both live just fits better. voice is standard, if someone doesnt have voice sending a message is a snap, it's more intergrated. i hate gaming online on my ps3. its just a big step backwards. especially when you have access to both.

FrankT

darkressurection said:
ALL of those could be dependent on TV settings though, so it really isn't a valid argument.

Of course it's a valid argument. What nonsense. Both are from IGN and trying to discount either one is just laughable.

Ploid 3.0

Slightly off topic but what's the deal with 360's security section of the disk? It seem like people easily pirated gta4 and can play on live with no problem. Shouldn't microsoft update this security and do something in the firmware to replace/improve it? This 1gig + of security seem like a waste.

vilmer_

polyh3dron said:
Why are so many people bawwwwwing over this thread? Some people like me have both consoles and want to know the differences so they can get the best version. What's so fucking fanboyish about that?

I'm in the same boat as well. I've recently decided to go with the PS3 version, because, well, I just want to. And I have more PSN friends :p

MobiusPigeon said:
from experience on both live just fits better. voice is standard, if someone does have voice sending a message is a snap, it's more intergrated. i hate gaming online on my ps3. its just a big step backwards. especially when you have access to both.
Fine but how is Live any different in game? Does paying the $50 do anything different for the GTA oline component?

Jtyettis said:
Of course it's a valid argument. What nonsense. Both are from IGN and trying to discount either one is just laughable.
So if their TV is miscalibrated it must have been the games fault right? Pop In doesn't changed based on the TV settings, the 360 just can't load stuff fast enough.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Keep in mind that DLC PS3 comment was from the PSM mag by a Rockstar dev; RS themselves have yet to comment on DLC for PS3.

Updated the OP with custom soundtrack info.

f@luS

More than a member.
Jtyettis said:
The DLC thread will be absolute Bitter Tear Frosting in epic proportion.
im quite sure of the opposite. Seriously , we'll be on Kill zone 2 , Gear of wars 2 , Resistance 2 , Banjo 3 , Little big planet....by the time DLC comes

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
chubigans said:
The PS3 will not be getting any kind of universal soundtrack support in future firmwares, as Microsoft owns the patent for it.

I didn't know that, that's really stupid.

pswii60

f@luS said:
im quite sure of the opposite. Seriously , we well all be on Kill zone 2 , Gear of wars 2 , Resistance 2 , Banjo 3 , Little big planet....by the time DLC comes
True. GTA IV will be a game of the past by June.
Jtwo said:
I didn't know that, that's really stupid.
Yes, MS were really stupid getting that patent. Really poor business decision.
Is it really patented or did you just make that up, chubby?

beerbelly

Banned
f@luS said:
im quite sure of the opposite. Seriously , we well all be on Kill zone 2 , Gear of wars 2 , Resistance 2 , Banjo 3 , Little big planet....by the time DLC comes

QFT. GTA4 DLC is left to die :(

FrankT

cyberheater said:
And of course the op would know.

There is no info on DLC besides the same thing Peter Moore announced long ago. The 360 will have exclusive episodic content. While the PS3 version may get DLC, no one at Rockstar has said anything of it, it will not be the content that MS has paid 50 million in advance for, that much is 100% certain.

f@luS said:
im quite sure of the opposite. Seriously , we'll be on Kill zone 2 , Gear of wars 2 , Resistance 2 , Banjo 3 , Little big planet....by the time DLC comes

I highly doubt that, that is, if it is to the level that has been rumored for quite some time now.

Cruzader

Banned
Shouldn't the PS3 version have custom soundtracks thought? The PSP version had it why would they not put it on ps3? Thats wierd.

Doc Evils

pswii60 said:

Autumn starts in June. Really?

FrankT

pswii60 said:

That is the word on the street. I saw an article awhile back on the subject, but I'm not sure if it is really confirmed however.

f@luS

More than a member.
pswii60 said:

excuse me? DLC are comin between september and november.
Which is the exact moment we will all be playin killzone ,gear , resistance, banjo ,lbp and all the other big games.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
pswii60 said:

Hah, sorry about that...added some linkage to said patent in the OP.

ElyrionX

Snapshot King said:
These threads are pointless because almost no one is actually sitting there wondering which system to buy it for, as most of the people here only own one. So its basically just a bunch of fanboys trying to convince everybody else that their system of choice is better through the window this game provides.

I'm have both. And I'm still a little unsure which to get.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
pswii60 said:

Ok, obviously it wasn't "unintelligent." :p
As mainly a 360 gamer it doesn't really affect me, and I hardly use the feature as it is... but that still does totally suck.

pswii60 said:

I've found most of what you've said in these GTA IV system wars topics to be agreeable, but I highly doubt that GTA IV will be forgotten by the time major holiday releases come around, let alone June. I see its online community being huge for a very long time, and if the game is as good as recent reviews would have us believe, it will be too popular to fall into oblivion within mere months.

CowboyAstronaut said:
EXACTLY

Which is why i look at these sharper, brighter, better color arguments and I'm like right...
True.

slightly more vibrant and sharp...

This could easily be TV settings/connection or 360 expand setting. What I mean is this has nothing to do with graphics or framerate. It was silly for EGM to even mention it.

MikeB

Banned
Chubigans said:
-Rockstar has made it pretty clear that the PS3 was a tough system to develop for, including getting used to the "complex architecture." Rockstar also mentioned problems with the 360 version (no HDD, DVD compression) though that interview was many months ago, and has not been brought up ever since. The PS3 architecture has been brought up as recently as a week ago in an IGN interview.

A Rockstar quote:

Getting things running on the PS3 initially was challenging. I think it was challenging for a lot of companies, but it’s also a machine where, now that we’ve got comfortable with it — I don’t want to say we’ve cracked it, but we’ve got comfortable with it — we know we can make our games.

The way I look at this is positively, technically the PS3 version is better than the 360 version despite a learning curve, the 360 being the lead platform and challenges adapting their legacy game engine. Their PS3 game engine will not suddenly worsen for future PS3 Rockstar projects. But it does sound like there's good headroom left for GTA V once they 'cracked it' by redesigning their legacy engine and leading development on the PS3.

Rockstar also hinted that DVD will not be enough for GTA V and a default harddrive is very important to them.

Chrange

Banned
"The latest issue of PSM confirms DLC for the PS3 version as well, as well as Home support."

The article doesn't say there'll be DLC - it speculates that the downloads coming will be content, then mentions it could also just be additions to Home.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Did IGN install the 360 version on the hard drive.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Chrange said:
"The latest issue of PSM confirms DLC for the PS3 version as well, as well as Home support."

The article doesn't say there'll be DLC - it speculates that the downloads coming will be content, then mentions it could also just be additions to Home.

Ah, modified the OP then. Didn't know I used as well twice like that either. :lol

MikeB said:
Rockstar also hinted that DVD will not be enough for GTA V and a default harddrive is very important to them.

I always assumed that GTA V would be next generation, just like GTA IV didn't come out the same gen as GTA III.

Chrange

Banned
chubigans said:
Ah, modified the OP then. Didn't know I used as well twice like that either. :lol

This part - "The latest issue of PSM confirms DLC for the PS3 version" - is still wrong. There was no confirmation of GTA IV DLC at all, just speculation, and fairly baseless speculation at that. With Microsoft having said that DLC is exclusive to the 360, it's far more likely (as the article even admits) that it's just Home content.

BboyDubC

The-Switcher said:
Nice to come back from my ban to see a thread of such high-quality.

25r15p1.gif

SRG01

Err. This might not be the right thread for it, but there is a PC version of GTA4 coming out in the near future, right? Not playing it on a PC seems a bit odd to me...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Chrange said:
This part - "The latest issue of PSM confirms DLC for the PS3 version" - is still wrong. There was no confirmation of GTA IV DLC at all, just speculation, and fairly baseless speculation at that. With Microsoft having said that DLC is exclusive to the 360, it's far more likely (as the article even admits) that it's just Home content.

Changed "confirms" to "hints"...I really need to get a scan of that to understand exactly what it meant.

Not here, of course. :p

sprocket

Banned
wow yeah there is alot of bitter tears in here. It would be different if it was one thing the ps3 version did better. Buts its a slew of things. Its just better graphics an performance wise.

chubigans said:
gtaT6.gif

Obviously get it for the system you prefer to play on. The graphical differences will be negligible enough to allow for it. We'll know for sure once the comparisons roll out.

I like how his last statement proved the rest of his post and thus this thread... fucking pointless.

bill0527

vilmer_ said:
I'm in the same boat as well. I've recently decided to go with the PS3 version, because, well, I just want to. And I have more PSN friends :p

Me too. Now that I've got a DualShock 3, I'm going to be shifting most of my multi-platform purchases to the PS3 unless the PS3 version is a total fuckup compared to the 360 version.

I could care less about GTA DLC. I've never bought a map back or a booster pack before because I move on from most games before that stuff gets released. The GTA IV disc itself has probably got over 100 hours worth of single and multi-player gameplay on it, and I'll be burned out long before DLC is released.

The final reason for me though is because I'm tired of the noise from my 360. I'm tired of it sounding like I'm at an airport compared to my deathly silent 40gb PS3.

bj00rn

Banned
MikeB said:
A Rockstar quote:

The way I look at this is positively, technically the PS3 version is better than the 360 version despite a learning curve, the 360 being the lead platform and challenges adapting their legacy game engine. Their PS3 game engine will not suddenly worsen for future PS3 Rockstar projects. But it does sound like there's good headroom left for GTA V once they 'cracked it' by redesigning their legacy engine and leading development on the PS3.

mikeb..? confirmed shit thread.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Russian Steve said:
I like how his last statement proved the rest of his post and thus this thread... fucking pointless.

That could easily change once the real comparisons happen (though, I kinda doubt it).

sprocket said:
wow yeah there is alot of bitter tears in here. It would be different if it was one thing the ps3 version did better. Buts its a slew of things. Its just better graphics an performance wise.

Oh this is going to be good.

Different physics engine?

More intuitive driving model?

Or is it still just slightly more pop-in and occasional frame rate issues? 5 second loading instead of 7 second?

What a crippling slew of deficiencies. Is there a such thing as Bitter Cheers?

MikeB

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I always assumed that GTA V would be next generation, just like GTA IV didn't come out the same gen as GTA III.

They were talking about their games in general will get larger and more demanding.

I think you assume wrongly as the PS3 is specced to be a long term console. GTA 1 in 1997-1998 and GTA 2 in 1999 on PS1, GTA3 in 2001, Vice City in 2002 and IMO the most ambitious San Andreas in 2004 on the PS2. GTA IV in 2008, I think we´ll see more demanding GTA games this generation.

chubigans said:
That could easily change once the real comparisons happen (though, I kinda doubt it).

Look! He did it again!! :lol

I'm just pickin' at ya man. I guess one good thing will come from this thread in that it should hopefully contain all the bullshit from the other GTA threads.

bigmakstudios said:
I've found most of what you've said in these GTA IV system wars topics to be agreeable, but I highly doubt that GTA IV will be forgotten by the time major holiday releases come around, let alone June. I see its online community being huge for a very long time, and if the game is as good as recent reviews would have us believe, it will be too popular to fall into oblivion within mere months.
i'm thinking certain people think metal gear will come and crush. unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom