• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean to troll (yes, every troll has this line memorized)... but, I've watched the videos, and am I the only one that thinks the fist fighting looks really clunky and unnatural?

Treo360

Karma said:
So pop-in is not a problem.

Not.At.All.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I don't mean to troll (yes, every troll has this line memorized)... but, I've watched the videos, and am I the only one that thinks the fist fighting looks really clunky and unnatural?

it is. Shooting people is much easier.

Orlics

ScrabbleBanshee said:

I sort of agree, but then fist fighting has never looked great in GTA games (but kicking people while they're down has).

DrBo42

Karma said:
So pop-in is not a problem.
You can see it but it's a lot more subtle than people are thinking. It's not like you're driving and all of a sudden crash into an invisible wall that 2 seconds later turns out to be a building that didn't load. Grow up people, both versions are excellent.

Banned
sprocket said:
Those are the exact same things that have plagued some ps3 ports. Now its the other way and its not a big deal anymore?

Seriously though better frame rate and better draw distance for pop in is a huge thing. But you also get better AA and shaper textures.

Again and again. The reviews so far have said the framerate and textures are the same. Only differences stated were more pop-in on the 360, PS3 loads faster but no mention of how much faster, and the 360 has more vibrant colors.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
ScrabbleBanshee said:

From what i've seen. Individual elements might not be the pinnacle of gaming perfection but it's the shear scale of the game that carries the day.

NeonBlade

Banned
Orlics said:
I sort of agree, but then fist fighting has never looked great in GTA games (but kicking people while they're down has).

Has any single aspect or gamplay mechanic in any GTA game been worthy enough to even fit in the lowest budget title?

Christ, I can't believe I'm buying this game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think the driving looks pretty fun.
Plus, there will probably the be the perfect handling code for the n00bs.
thumbstick click hydraulic jumping ftw

Like Hilary Goldstein put it, it really is Liberty City itself which is the star of the game, which is why games like Saints Row 2 being set in the same locale leaves alot to be desired among other issues it has.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
dk_ said:
@ Odrion

There is a gif, but I can't find it. Some users state that pop-ins only involve stairs, window textures and trees (maybe the most annoying thing).

Where is this mythical gif? Trying to figure out the spin because I am not seeing any significant popup whatsoever. Nothing that isn't expected on a console anyway (PC should be flawless).

anddo0 said:
So f'n cool, that's Flushing Meadow park. I grew up in that neighborhood.
R* nailed it!

Queens and Brooklyn are a marvel from what I've seen. Just impeccable. Coney Island...shit, where do I even start.

You'll see.

You'll...you'll all see.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
joshcryer said:
Where is this mythical gif? Trying to figure out the spin because I am not seeing any significant popup whatsoever. Nothing that isn't expected on a console anyway (PC should be flawless).

Can't find it either, but it was basically two huge billboards popping out of nowhere. Very noticeable, but since that vid came out before the piracy...it may have been from either version.

kiUNiT

Guy Legend said:
Has the fun started yet? Due to its technical superiority, easy choice.

0102062263000.jpg

But that controller sucks to me, Oh how I wish someone would frankenstein the 360 controler to the PS3.

One of the leak vids had an entire building pop in after the camera turned. Don't remember which version but I was not happy when I saw it. I was playing gta3 last night and large parts of the road have to pop in sometimes, so as long as its not bad I don't car so much.

looks like I WON'T be going with the 360 version

reason:

-I do actually wanna play online now cause it looks fantastic ...(XBL Silver account)

-found out you can disable the auto-aim function....so won't stress left finger out holding L2 down all the way on SIXAXIS

-use of HDD makes me really appreciate R* effort

-oh so sweet silence of my PS3

-playing with 360 left analog stresses my thumb after an hour or so....love the SIXAXIS's analogs to death

AmMortal

Banned
Haunted One said:
Are you saying that being gay is a bad thing?

What the hell gave you that Idea?
Why would you assume that I meant that?
If a guy likes guys he is gay.

Same goes for;

If a guy likes the PS3 cover more cos he thinks " she's hot" he straight.

Never said anything about what's wrong.

I think some of you have a bad habit of prejudice or homophoby.

Synless

So does no one know if ps3's version runs at 720p with 2xAA yet? Why not? Does no one have the pstriple version yet or what?

john2kx

Warrior300 said:

Same goes for;

And this sums of the ridiculousness of this thread.. Seriously, LOL @ all of these "reasons" people are preferring one over the other.

Shins

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Shocked. Shocked. ;)

Warrior300 said:

Same goes for;

What is this I don't even

WrikaWrek

Banned
I spent this afternoon watching a friend of mine play GTa4 on 360 for 4 hours.

When i came here i was thinking about posting about how amazing it was, how it had me smiling again and again and again.

But then i read some posts and said fuck it. My smile has gone away, you guys and your console shit.

Oh and it runs awesome on 360.

Shins

Banned
Odrion said:
I'm going to choose the 360 version because I really love cookie dough icecream.
PS3 version has more cookie dough chunks per square inch. You're lying to yourself and it is pathetic. :eyeroll

FIREBABY

WrikaWrek said:

When i came here i was thinking about posting about how amazing it was, how it had me smiling again and again and again.

But then i read some posts and said fuck it. My smile has gone away, you guys and your console shit.

Bubububuu.... IGN, Egm said..you liar!!! You big fat liar!!!! *runs to the corner and sobs*

m0dus

Banned
AgentOtaku said:

Do tell?

I await with baited breath . . .

-I do actually wanna play online now cause it looks fantastic ...(XBL Silver account)

Totally understandable, and a valid point of preference.

-found out you can disable the auto-aim function....so won't stress left finger out holding L2 down all the way on SIXAXIS

ER . . . okay, it's a bit specific, but again, I agree with you there.

-use of HDD makes me really appreciate R* effort

Uh . . . I'd have a hard time keeping a straight face if you were telling me this in the line at gamestop, but okay, go with it . . .

-oh so sweet silence of my PS3

Aaaaand you lost me. Sorry, but I do find that to be the silliest reason of all--your first one was more than enough, the rest are just shallow bullet points . . .

Get it? BULLET POINTS? GTA? ... VIOLENCE? ...No? . . . you can all go right to hell :-| . . .

-playing with 360 left analog stresses my thumb after an hour or so....love the SIXAXIS's analogs to death

Perhaps your fixation on the DS3 is tipping into amourous-petting territory, though I can certainly respect controller preferences. ;) I actually defer to the 360 analog stick placement, less stressful, more ergonomic in my eyes.

Vaxadrin

Banned
WrikaWrek said:

Pfff...playing games...

Typical 360 fanboy.

Houser(developer): 360 version more vibrant and clinical
IGN:360 version richer, but PS3 more clean
EGM:pS3 version more vibrant and sharp

I'm beginning to think Houser doesn't work for R* and IGN and EGM didn't play GTAIV.

m0dus

Banned
Warrior300 said:

This thread is hitting an interesting direction . . .

Same goes for;

Obviously SOMEONE hasn't been watching enough Bravo.

You're right. Except . . . you basically implied it. Say I want the Niko cover because he looks badass. And I'll have less of an issue explaining it to my girlfriend everytime I pull out the game to shoot some people.

Your theory has been dashed to the ground, my friend. DASHED.

What is this 'homophoby' you speak of? :)

Odrion

Banned
We all had the "PS3 visuals look a bit more washed out" conversation before, it's the output and if you are intelligent enough with a television remote you can make it more colorful or black in white or whatever.

Walshicus

Warrior300 said:

Same goes for;

oi5g3.gif

Warrior300 said:
So, wait people can be fanbois without precautions here?

Whoever likes the 360 cover over the PS3 cover is gay

Were you meaning that as a derogatory statement?

EDIT: looks like this issue was already addressed. Warrior300, that's some fine spinning you're doing.

Sharper, vibrant, clinical I'm pretty sure its the TV and console output setting that is what causes those problems. The PS3 and the 360 do not output in exactly the same way.

However, framerate and pop-in definitely aren't TV-related. I'll be interested to see just how big a deal they were.

Regardless, I view GTA IV much like COD4, Burnout and Dirt, the minor differences are so insignificant that everyone can be pretty happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom