• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
bj00rn said:
mikeb..? confirmed shit thread.

Oh you mean because he has a slight sony bias, and actually researches his posts?

then err yeah shit thread

(this thread was doomed from the beginning, but i suppose that's the point of this thread)

Chrange

Banned
chubigans said:
Changed "confirms" to "hints"...I really need to get a scan of that to understand exactly what it meant.

Not here, of course. :p

This is the only part of the article that deals with DLC:

In addition, though post-release downloadable content has been promised on that other platform, expect similar offerings on the PS3 down the road, "we want this game to last for years," Jeronimo added, "I'm sure we'll do another [GTA game] some time in the future, but this one is built to last."

There's actually no mention of DLC by the Rockstar dev at all, or at least nothing attributed directly to him or Rockstar as a whole.

So does anyone what the details on future DLC and Home integration for PS3 GTA4 are? I've been reading around that the xbox360 DLC exclusive only encompasses 2 episodes and that subsequent DLC would go to both consoles. Is that true or just rumor mill grinding?

SpokkX

MikeB said:
They were talking about their games in general will get larger and more demanding.

I think you assume wrongly as the PS3 is specced to be a long term console. GTA 1 in 1997-1998 and GTA 2 in 1999 on PS1, GTA3 in 2001, Vice City in 2002 and IMO the most ambitious San Andreas in 2004 on the PS2. GTA IV in 2008, I think we´ll see more demanding GTA games this generation.

this guy is here ...great

isn´t his own thread about cell usage enough (that only he posts in..)

Ariexv

darkressurection said:
So if their TV is miscalibrated it must have been the games fault right? Pop In doesn't changed based on the TV settings, the 360 just can't load stuff fast enough.
How do you know they didn't play them on the same TV? This isn't gametrailers I seriously doubt they'd say one game looks better and be wrong because of TV calibration. You can make the same argument that maybe they didn't play on a 360 with a HDD and the game might use a HDD if it's present to cache data.

As for the Custom soundtracks here is the patent

http://www.google.com/patents?id=mx93AAAAEBAJ&dq=gaming+soundtrack

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Chrange said:
This is the only part of the article that deals with DLC:

There's actually no mention of DLC by the Rockstar dev at all, or at least nothing attributed directly to him or Rockstar as a whole.

Ah, finally cleared up once and for all. Thanks!

So does anyone what the details on future DLC and Home integration for PS3 GTA4 are? I've been reading around that the xbox360 DLC exclusive only encompasses 2 episodes and that subsequent DLC would go to both consoles. Is that true or just rumor mill grinding?

This sounds like the most logical thing that will happen, but everything is a rumor at this point.

Jtrizzy

Pachter also speculated in the 4th episode of the GTA Bonus Round that they already have the story worked out for V, and they would be starting work on it immediately. I can't remember specifically what he said, but that it would be out in a year or so IIRC. It would be pretty stupid from a financial standpoint to do all the work making the games for the current generation of consoles and only make one GTA.

FrankT

Gully State said:

You got some sourcing for this.

dk_

@ Odrion

There is a gif, but I can't find it. Some users state that pop-ins only involve stairs, window textures and trees (maybe the most annoying thing).

Ariexv

Jtrizzy said:
Pachter also speculated in the 4th episode of the GTA Bonus Round that they already have the story worked out for V, and they would be starting work on it immediately. I can't remember specifically what he said, but that it would be out in a year or so IIRC. It would be pretty stupid from a financial standpoint to do all the work making the games for the current generation of consoles and only make one GTA.
Yep Pachter is totally a reliable source so far this gen. There's still La Noire, Read Dead Revolver 2, and the unannounced Ps3 exclusive they might all use the same engine. Even without those there's DLC @ the End of this year, DLC beginning/mid next year.....Also for actual game size wasn't VC actually smaller on the disc then III was?

jokerpopcorn.gif

Chrange

Banned
Odrion said:
Is there any videos showing what the pop in is like?

Watch pretty much any of the videos posted of driving cars. I don't really see it, personally. The video quality is usually pretty low though.

I don't understand how the engine would have big pop-in problems when you can jump in a helicopter, fly up and see buildings rendered for miles around.

mabuza

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Pachter also speculated in the 4th episode of the GTA Bonus Round that they already have the story worked out for V, and they would be starting work on it immediately.
sony should get in touch and moneyhat this mutherfucker. let rockstar go wild on that 50gb space and hdd for a true smooth sexy nextgen gta.

Jtrizzy

Ariexv said:
Yep Pachter is totally a reliable source so far this gen. There's still La Noire, Read Dead Revolver 2, and the unannounced Ps3 exclusive they might all use the same engine. Even without those there's DLC @ the End of this year, DLC beginning/mid next year.....Also for actual game size wasn't VC actually smaller on the disc then III was?

1. This has nothing to do Pachter's monthly sales predictions, which I'm sure gives you the ultimate butt hurt considering he's a "PS3 fanboy", and I'm guessing is the reason you decided to call him out. In other words, there is no reason to doubt this.

2. He knows a shit load more about the industry that you do.

3. La Noire+Read Dead Revolver+PS3 exclusive. When you add all of those up, they won't come close to selling what one iteration of GTA does. Rockstar has multiple studios, which I would assume will be working on the games you listed.

edit: I don't know if Pachter makes a lot of predictions like this (game wise) so I don't know his track record, but this one seems highly logical.

The only numbered GTA game last generation was GTA 3. I don't see why it would be any different this generation...

SpokkX

squicken said:
http://vimeo.com/941075
That's the best vid I've seen so far

shit there is barely any popup as far as I can see? I expected something like GTA:SA with cars popping up all over.

I saw some bushes pop up at about 3:15 but they were way in the distance. It isnt worse than this?! Or is this the Ps3 version?

Jtrizzy

szaromir said:
I don't think Sony are willing to pay hundreds of millions dollars to get exclusivity on one game...

Please excuse me for quoting the "idiot" who has no idea what he's talking about, but he also mentioned that Sony wouldn't be able to afford 3rd party money hats on major games for a few years as a result of releasing late and being so far behind in user base.

I guess we'll see. Isn't there a rumor that Fallout will be a timed exclusive?

sprocket

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh this is going to be good.

Different physics engine?

More intuitive driving model?

Or is it still just slightly more pop-in and occasional frame rate issues? 5 second loading instead of 7 second?

What a crippling slew of deficiencies. Is there a such thing as Bitter Cheers?

Those are the exact same things that have plagued some ps3 ports. Now its the other way and its not a big deal anymore?

Seriously though better frame rate and better draw distance for pop in is a huge thing. But you also get better AA and shaper textures.

SpokkX said:
shit there is barely any popup as far as I can see? I expected something like GTA:SA with cars popping up all over.

I saw some bushes pop up at about 3:15 but they were way in the distance. It isnt worse than this?! Or is this the Ps3 version?

I'm pretty sure that's 360. Like I said. Bitter Cheers.

Chrange

Banned
SpokkX said:

I noticed you leave blood spatters on the pavement when you ditch a bike going top speed. That's pretty impressive attention to detail :D

Treo360

SpokkX said:

The 360 has some pop-in, however it's negligible (as in way out in the distance) I've yet to run into a car that popped up out of nowhere. There is texture pop-in, and it's usually after a save loaded up, frame rate is solid with some minor instances where it would slow down. If anything I think the LOD could use some work, but then given the scale of the city it isn't too bad.

Chrange said:
I noticed you leave blood spatters on the pavement when you ditch a bike going top speed. That's pretty impressive attention to detail :D

wait until you run over some pedestrians, they leave marks everywhere.:lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SpokkX said:

The worst of the pop up I've seen was watching a live stream of some guy running on the beach, the little patches of grass appeared right in front of him. I think it'll be a non-issue for the most part though.

sprocket said:
Those are the exact same things that have plagued some ps3 ports. Now its the other way and its not a big deal anymore?

Seriously though better frame rate and better draw distance for pop in is a huge thing. But you also get better AA and shaper textures.

It was NEVER a big deal when those were the only differences.

Are trying to say there is an Orange Box level of difference between these two versions?

As far as frame rate goes, no one who's played it has mentioned any problem with that. And as far as pop-in, the only evidence we saw of that was completely negligible. And as far as loading times, most averaged around 5 seconds and all were completely dependent on how far one was from a hospital/policia.

So, the first sentence is not a huge thing and the second one can easily be chalked up to or even rendered inert by proper TV calibration.

So, no. There are no "huge" differences between these two versions anymore than MS scored a "huge" victory of the PS3 in the March NPD.

There is only one "huge" difference between these versions. One is a platform for the continuing adventures of Niko Bellic as soon as they start, the other is a platform for the continuing adventures of Niko Bellic at some point after that, if at all.

Focusing on anything else, with the ample evidence at hand, looks a lot to me like straw grasping.

Jtrizzy

bigmakstudios said:
The only numbered GTA game last generation was GTA 3. I don't see why it would be any different this generation...

You are missing the point. They can call it whatever they want, there will absolutely be another GTA during this gen.

Edit: I missed the point of what Beer Monkey was saying. I interpreted it as this would be the only GTA game this gen.

SpokkX said:

That is the 360 version.

There were some points early in the video where the gas station faded in and all that that kind of caught my attention, but it there isnt too much popup.

Jtrizzy said:
You are missing the point. They can call it whatever they want, there will absolutely be another GTA during this gen.

And I think, like last gen, they'll be working within the confines of the first installment. The PS2 didn't suddenly grow a hard drive between III and SA and yet, here we are, with the final installment of that trilogy markedly larger in scope than the first.

FIREBABY

Treo360 said:
The 360 has some pop-in, however it's negligible (as in way out in the distance) I've yet to run into a car that popped up out of nowhere. There is texture pop-in, and it's usually after a save loaded up, frame rate is solid with some minor instances where it would slow down. If anything I think the LOD could use some work, but then given the scale of the city it isn't too bad.

wait until you run over some pedestrians, they leave marks everywhere.:lol
What,what what?!? you have it already?

After much deliberation I think I will keep my 360 preorder. However if I get an RRoD or something while playing it I will be harassing their Indian call center so much...

polyh3dron said:
After much deliberation I think I will keep my 360 preorder. However if I get an RRoD or something while playing it I will be harassing their Indian call center so much...

Oh, my friend. We will be chartering a fucking airplane.

adelante

sprocket said:

It was a big deal then because you KNOW the PS3's been hyped up to be a technically superior console.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
If those are indeed the covers for the game Ofcorse I will get the PS3 version! Even though I only have the PS3, Hot Jessica Chobot cover FTW! :D

Elbrain said:
If those are indeed the covers for the game Ofcorse I will get the PS3 version! Even though I only have the PS3 Hot Jessica Chobot cover FTW! :D

As hot a chick as that is, I do prefer having Niko front and center, seeing what I have of the game's story.

He is the heart and soul of GTA4.

adelante said:
It was a big deal then because you KNOW the PS3's been hyped up to be a technically superior console.

Estimation that the barn is going to burn down when the gameplay videos for Resistance 2 come down the chute.

Deus Ex Machina said:
True.

slightly more vibrant and sharp...

This could easily be TV settings/connection or 360 expand setting. What I mean is this has nothing to do with graphics or framerate. It was silly for EGM to even mention it.

I can give you that point for sharpness and color, but LMAO @ you saying the TV could effect the fram rate, aliasing, pop up

sorry, those things ARE NOT dictated by the TV

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
dogmaan said:
Oh you mean because he has a slight sony bias...

I'm not sure you understand the word 'slight' or are using it in a totally novel or possibly ironical way...

Zer0

Banned
wel..after spending some hours with this game wow..really wow

this is the finest product i have seen on my 34 years of gaming,the attention to detail,THE ANIMATIONS and everything..jesus

Orlics

dogmaan said:
Oh you mean because he has a slight sony bias, and actually researches his posts?

then err yeah shit thread

(this thread was doomed from the beginning, but i suppose that's the point of this thread)

No, you see, one of the things that irks people about MikeB is that he does a lot of research... then adds his own spin to the things he quotes. For example it is true that Rockstar said that GTAV might not fit on DVD. However he conveniently left out the next sentence, where the guy said he has a few solutions in mind and is confident MS will implement one of those solutions.

It is like the creationists who quote Darwin's sentence about the human eye out of context. I am not suggesting MikeB is a creationist.

Treo360

cyberheater said:
I'm not sure you understand the word 'slight' or are using it in a totally novel or possibly ironical way...

I'm sure it was used in a novel way, I'm mean it's not like mikeb acts in the most objective way. Right?

This is getting tiring. If there were a big difference b/w the versions like with all those shitty 360 to PS3 conversions I'd understand it, but when the difference is minimal (such as GTA4 -apparently- or Burnout Paradise) just get the one you feel like getting. I'll buy the PS3 version cause it's the one I feel like buying and I couldn't care less about DLC or microsoft points. Do the same and be happy.

Orlics said:
No, you see, one of the things that irks people about MikeB is that he does a lot of research... then adds his own spin to the things he quotes. For example it is true that Rockstar said that GTAV might not fit on DVD. However he conveniently left out the next sentence, where the guy said he has a few solutions in mind and is confident MS will implement one of those solutions.

It is like the creationists who quote Darwin's sentence about the human eye out of context. I am not suggesting MikeB is a creationist.

Doublespace running on the 360 in 2009!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ken Masters said:
I can give you that point for sharpness and color, but LMAO @ you saying the TV could effect the fram rate, aliasing, pop up

sorry, those things ARE NOT dictated by the TV

Um, his post isn't the most eloquent, but you might want to read it again.
3.gif

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Treo360 said:
I'm sure it was used in a novel way, I'm mean it's not like mikeb acts in the most objective way. Right?
Yes I feel it's fair to say that he's 'passionate' and 'focussed' about his subject. Good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom