• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Soooo, summer months are coming up for many of us. Any way to keep the headsets from filling with sweat as we hop around like idiots? Are the pieces that come in contact with your face easily washed?

Cartman86

Banned
Looks like Giantbomb got a Vive. They will be doing the same thing they did with the Rift starting at 7 AM PST on the 5th. What a time to be a Vive indeed.

Cartman86

Banned
Let's see if they can make even room-scale look bad.

Here's how it should look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVaembmgc xD

I love em, but I could totally see them playing in the smallest possible space and complaining about chaperon always showing up and hitting things when they swing for the fences with the controllers. Not that this isn't a possible scenario for people, but for my sanity I would enjoy a stream with a reasonable play space.

Onemic

I expect them to blow it up just like they did Oculus in terms of the games, but be more impressed with the hardware. If room scale and motion controls are enough to make them actually enjoy a lot of the games they play I think that will really say something.

Risible

I got to try a Gear VR the other day and wasn't too impressed with the graphics, the pixels were pretty damn noticeable. Is that just because it's a lower end device? Do the higher end ones have a much higher pixel density?

louiedog

I got to try a Gear VR the other day and wasn't too impressed with the graphics, the pixels were pretty damn noticeable. Is that just because it's a lower end device? Do the higher end ones have a much higher pixel density?

Gear VR doesn't have a display. Which phone was in it?

Not really.

If you're talking about screen door effect (seeing the individual pixels thus greating a grid over the image), consumer versions are better but it will still be noticeable (assuming you tried it with a 1440p phone).

Everything else though is going to be leaps better: Gear VR lacks positional tracking, high refresh rate, room-scale and a high end machine to push all this.

Risible

Not really.

If you're talking about screen door effect (seeing the individual pixels thus greating a grid over the image), consumer versions are better but it will still be noticeable (assuming you tried it with a 1440p phone).

Wow, that's disappointing. It was really distracting.

Bsigg12

I love em, but I could totally see them playing in the smallest possible space and complaining about chaperon always showing up and hitting things when they swing for the fences with the controllers. Not that this isn't a possible scenario for people, but for my sanity I would enjoy a stream with a reasonable play space.

They'll play in the space they have available, as will all of us.

louiedog

Sorry, Samsung Galaxy 7 I believe.

Sorry, it's actually my bad. I thought it supported slightly older devices, but it looks like everything that it works with is the same resolution (2560x1440) so the question doesn't matter much. The screens are slightly different sizes, but the pixel density differences aren't huge.

Risible

Sorry, it's actually my bad. I thought it supported slightly older devices, but it looks like everything that it works with is the same resolution (2560x1440) so the question doesn't matter much. The screens are slightly different sizes, but the pixel density differences aren't huge.

That's too bad. My enthusiasm has been greatly reduced. I still want to try one, but the screen door effect really dampened my hype.

As I've said, I wouldn't expect them to be hyped about it at all, but if they are it's saying something. If they aren't... it doesn't mean anything. Anyways, going to see if the Technolust patch I downloaded fixed the messed up controls on that one part.

Zalusithix

That's too bad. My enthusiasm has been greatly reduced. I still want to try one, but the screen door effect really dampened my hype.

The first gen VR systems are going to be for the experience, not the fidelity. Basically a 180 counter to modern console launches. That might be a tough pill for many to swallow as we've gotten used to rather high pixel densities and ever more photorealistic graphics.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The CV1 Rift looks legit, but I'm totally not interested in seated VR, at least seated with a gamepad.

The way they portal around in Budget Cuts looks amazing, and natural. I could totally see some kind of method like that becoming a the norm for locomotion in FPS VR. Move your body in short distances to look around, dodge, etc. Portal over to the next area to move forward.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The first gen VR systems are going to be for the experience, not the fidelity. Basically a 180 counter to modern console launches. That might be a tough pill for many to swallow as we've gotten used to rather high pixel densities and ever more photorealistic graphics.

I don't think it'll be long before we see custom 4K displays for VR. However... keeping VR on the cutting edge of display tech (coupled with the fact that you will need even more powerful GPUs to drive them) will probably ensure that VR keeps its premium price tag for quite some time I'm guessing.

I'm really really hoping that CV2's for the Rift and Vive come with some pretty big leaps in these areas, but we'll see...

Zalusithix

I don't think it'll be long before we see custom 4K displays for VR. However... keeping VR on the cutting edge of display tech (coupled with the fact that you will need even more powerful GPUs to drive them) will probably ensure that VR keeps its premium price tag for quite some time I'm guessing.

I'm really really hoping that CV2's for the Rift and Vive come with some pretty big leaps in these areas, but we'll see...

For one, we'll have to move to very specialized displays to make drastic resolution increases possible. Take a look at the displays for the Rift:
ugcBovvFOmgRskkO.huge
As you can see they're basically the size of the headset when added together. These are ~450ppi screens which aren't far off from the best phone screens. To get 4K in a similar size package, we'd need ~1500ppi. This is far outside of the sort of screens we'll ever realistically see in smartphones (unless we start sacrificing all sorts of practicality on the phone end of things to make them more suitable for VR). That is more like high end viewfinder level stuff, and bringing it to the sizes needed for VR wont be cheap.

Cartman86

Banned
I expect them to blow it up just like they did Oculus in terms of the games, but be more impressed with the hardware. If room scale and motion controls are enough to make them actually enjoy a lot of the games they play I think that will really say something.

Yeah a few days ago I would have said 90% of the games they would end up playing would be great, but the last few days have seen a ton of stuff added to Steam that I have no personal experience with that could be real lame. Ultimately all that should matter is there are some killer titles, but when you stream every single game you are going to hit the bottom of the barrel eventually. Especially with Steam.

Yeah a few days ago I would have said 90% of the games they would end up playing would be great, but the last few days have seen a ton of stuff added to Steam that I have no personal experience with that could be real lame. Ultimately all that should matter is there are some killer titles, but when you stream every single game you are going to hit the bottom of the barrel eventually. Especially with Steam.

Just remember these are people who complained about having to turn their head all the way around to turn their head all the way around. I've never seen them like a motion control when a button could do the same job. These are people who looked at the Rift and basically said 'but will it make me better at games?'

Maybe they'll love it, which would be huge. I just would temper my expectations on this one.

I had to restart Technolust (apparently my old save game wasn't compatible with the patch) but the controls in that one section were fixed and I'm back where I was before without too much hassle. Played a bunch more Ethan Carter until I started to feel a little woozy. Weirdly the comfort option isn't something you can toggle it seems, so I'm taking a bit of a break. I'm itching for more money for more games though.

Yeah, Technolust and Ethan Carter aren't perhaps what you guys are looking for, but I'm enjoying them both. At this point, Technolust more than Ethan, but Ethan looks better and is the more polished experience. They've done a great job bringing it to VR.

Cartman86

Banned
Just remember these are people who complained about having to turn their head all the way around to turn their head all the way around. I've never seen them like a motion control when a button could do the same job. These are people who looked at the Rift and basically said 'but will it make me better at games?'

Maybe they'll love it, which would be huge. I just would temper my expectations on this one.

I had to restart Technolust (apparently my old save game wasn't compatible with the patch) but the controls in that one section were fixed and I'm back where I was before without too much hassle. Played a bunch more Ethan Carter until I started to feel a little woozy. Weirdly the comfort option isn't something you can toggle it seems, so I'm taking a bit of a break. I'm itching for more money for more games though.

Yeah, Technolust and Ethan Carter aren't perhaps what you guys are looking for, but I'm enjoying them both. At this point, Technolust more than Ethan, but Ethan looks better and is the more polished experience. They've done a great job bringing it to VR.

I have this optimism about it probably because this is my experience too. I had never seen a motion based system actually 100% work until I used a Vive and now any game that isn't VR with tracked controllers (including VR) seems dated. I could see them having that aha moment as well. They kind of had mini ones with the Oculus stream. Where they stated things about how a game should be designed for comfort or in design and then slowly walked them back as they actually started to play with real VR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vive/minecraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8xkNHl_Bwo

Looks a bit tiring though.

Is this minecrift or another mod?

Looks like you can hold a button to auto-mine/punch

Aseems like it can mine and pick things up from further away than the normal game. Don't like being able to teleport up though - can get to places you wouldn't be able to in normal minecraft like they were doing up a two block ledge several times.

I'd also like to see how it looks in third person view - could be a good alternative for traversal than teleporting

Durante

Was actually quite clear, that its coming. Adam Orth, after the whole "it might be Oculus exclusive" said, that its coming to other VR HMDs.

I just wonder, why they didnt say it sooner. Do the devs who release an Oculus version have some kind of NDA?
The timing is rather peculiar.

Durante

I hope they really have a breakthrough and aren't just fishing for investor money.
Valve apparently experimented with GVS, and while they could induce various feelings they couldn't make it work remotely reliably and accurate enough for general VR use.

Zaptruder

Banned
Worried About Virtual Reality Motion Sickness? vMocion Has Your Back

vMocion_A.jpg

BIG breakthrough in VR!

When I though vr doesn't had a chance on pc for gaming because of motion sickness, I just found out that they found a solution:
http://futurism.com/worried-virtual-reality-motion-sickness-vmocion-back/

I still think it will fail on consoles, because you need to move and you are isolated.

The GVS idea has been around for a while... there's not a whole lot of information here to get excited about.

Samsung showed off a working prototype for the Gear VR as well.

But... at this point in time at least according to publically available information - problem with GVS is its low fidelity and limited axis of motion.

I.e. it does rotation around the axis that goes from your nose to the back of your head (roll)... doesn't really do rotation around the ear to ear axis (tilt)... and doesn't do it at all for the top of your head to neck axis (yaw). Also minimal translational stimulation (the sensation of moving through space).

But yes, if this could work well, it'll be fantastic.

dumbo

Is this minecrift or another mod?

Looks like you can hold a button to auto-mine/punch

Aseems like it can mine and pick things up from further away than the normal game. Don't like being able to teleport up though - can get to places you wouldn't be able to in normal minecraft like they were doing up a two block ledge several times.

I'd also like to see how it looks in third person view - could be a good alternative for traversal than teleporting

It's basically a minecrift hack/mod - this is a better video (nsfw due to language etc [pretty much applies to most of youtube])
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY4eQvRtKIk

It seems genuinely immersive, although I'm not sure that you can make minecraft work properly in VR.

cheezcake

I hope they really have a breakthrough and aren't just fishing for investor money.
Valve apparently experimented with GVS, and while they could induce various feelings they couldn't make it work remotely reliably and accurate enough for general VR use.

External galvanic stimulation of the vestibular nerve won't ever be able to achieve reliable, controllable manipulation of your sense of motion. The body is too damn conductive, it's like trying to play the piano with baseball mitts on. You could theoretically achieve indistinguishable from real life artificial sense of motion by using cochlear-like electrode implants in each of the semicircular canals to stimulate hair cells instead of the vestibular nerve directly, but that would require surgery and 3 very expensive implants.

External galvanic stimulation of the vestibular nerve won't ever be able to achieve reliable, controllable manipulation of your sense of motion. The body is too damn conductive, it's like trying to play the piano with baseball mitts on. You could theoretically achieve indistinguishable from real life artificial sense of motion by using cochlear-like electrode implants in each of the semicircular canals to stimulate hair cells instead of the vestibular nerve directly, but that would require surgery and 3 very expensive implants.

I'm ready for them to drill directly into my brain if it makes perfect VR.

cheezcake

I'm ready for them to drill directly into my brain if it makes perfect VR.

Oh boy do I have a product for you. Makes you wonder if stuff like this will become reality though, given that it's only a matter of time til machines replaces surgeons, maybe that could massively drive down the cost and risk of surgery til we're all waiting in line to replace our vestibular implants with Oculus' latest model :p

Probably not in our lifetime though

kyser73

Just a brain fart here...

When OR release the touch, will the second camera require its own USB port?

Because if you could get both on a USB switch, outside of the connector faff and lack of SDK (and OK, the latter is pretty big :)) is there any reason PSVR could also do 'proper' room scale?

cheezcake

Even if they could manipulate your vestibular system perfectly i doubt it'd solve sickness. I see and feel motion in cars, still get sick.

To be fair you could eeasily calibrate comfort levels given an electrical stimulation solution so you wouldn't get motion sick :p

iceatcs

Is it a real motion sickness? I mean we are not really moving our tummy when VR. It is feeling the different kind of sickness I got it from DK1 demo like being punched in the balls and headache at the same time rather than feel going to be sick.

cheezcake

How will you store your headsets?

Just put them on the desk?

You're gonna wanna keep them dust free and definitely avoid light sources hitting the lens, Rift comes with a storage box iirc. Not sure about Vive, I'm planning to just put it back in the box I get it in right now.

Donnie

Do we have a comparison of how much of the available screen area is used to produce the image on CV1 vs Gear VR? Would imagine CV1 would be a bit better in this respect, but by how much?

Krejlooc

Banned
Mmf, the kind of money burning thoughts that creep into my mind late at night. If I have both a rift and a vive, then logically I could justify having two PCs, right? I could probably price together an AMD sidekick machine for pretty cheap that would meet the minimum requirements...

looks like I could grab a 290x for about $250 on ebay...

taoofjord

Mmf, the kind of money burning thoughts that creep into my mind late at night. If I have both a rift and a vive, then logically I could justify having two PCs, right? I could probably price together an AMD sidekick machine for pretty cheap that would meet the minimum requirements...

looks like I could grab a 290x for about $250 on ebay...

The idea of getting two VIves so my wife and I could both play things together down the road has been briefly entertained but it's a bit too ridiculous for right now. Maybe I'll just keep the first gen Vive when the next one comes out.

Top Bottom