• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Inhumans TCA panel seems to have gone well. Also sad Affleck.

Bronx-Man

Banned
To think, we clowned Captain Marvel for years and now it sounds like her movie's gonna be a helluva lot better than whatever they could have come up with for this.

Literally all they had to do was adapt the Paul Jenkins book and season 2 could have been based on Silent War.

That Jenkins series was basically MADE to be adapted to TV.

mreddie

wait the same guy who showran ironfist S1 showran this? didnt know that. but ironfist was terrible. Like, bad lines, bad tropes, not even good fighting really. why do people let this guy do super hero shit. hes like uwe boll of ruining comic books

They hired him before Fist premiered and the week after the announcement, Fist was screened and the reviews came in.

To think, we clowned Captain Marvel for years and now it sounds like her movie's gonna be a helluva lot better than whatever they could have come up with for this.

Kevin-Feige-and-Brie-Larson-at-Marvel-Comic-Con-2016.jpg

Korigama

Ike is getting his payback from the Mutant Depush before the Mutant TV rights, watch Gifted get better reviews...oh wait, it is.

Feige never liked Inhumans. This is all Perlmutter pushing a property as hard as he can because he's pissed that Fox is holding the rights to the X-Men. But once Feige staged his coup, Perlmutter no longer had any say for the movies.
Ah, so only Perlmutter ever gave a crap about Inhumans. Not too surprising. The Gifted didn't look particularly good either, yet at the same time I suppose one would have to actually try to do worse than Scott Buck.

Patryn

Ah, so only Perlmutter ever gave a crap about Inhumans. Not too surprising. The Gifted didn't look particularly good either, yet at the same time I suppose one would have to actually try to do worse than Scott Buck.
Yeah, the only reason there was ever going to be an Inhumans movie is that Perlmutter was blocking the Captain Marvel movie, which was Feige's passion project. They then cut a deal where they both got a movie, but then Feige took full control of the movie side and immediately jettisoned the film he never wanted to do in the first place.

What makes it even more strange is given how season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ended, they could have just had the entire season 5 be based around introducing the royal family. And I would have faith that they would have done it well.

Looks like Quake will be the only Inhuman worth a damn in the MCU. AoS has introduced the concept well enough that the royal family aren't needed, even if Lockjaw is cute.

That reads like the outcome of a drunk "can god create a burrito so hot even He cannot eat it"-type argument that spilled into comics.

It's not quite as weird, there was an inhuman who basically absorbed the souls of other dead Inhumans and contained them in his own personal purga...nevermind it's pretty fuckin weird.

i'm still burnt by the dexter finale like who watches that and thinks he can do another show?

hell i fuckin sat through iron fist, that was actual hot garbage who looks at that and says lets go again

Cuburt

If you think about it, the Inhumans really are Marvel's X-Men but not because they're mutants but because Scott Buck is Marvel's Brian Singer.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Looks like Quake will be the only Inhuman worth a damn in the MCU. AoS has introduced the concept well enough that the royal family aren't needed, even if Lockjaw is cute.

It's funny. The "Nu-Humans" that Marvel was pushing on the comic side another option to mutants wasn't received well at all. But that was the side of Inhumans that ended up being done well in the MCU, while the royal family -- the Inhumans people cared about -- was apparently botched.

And by funny, I mean depressing.

Singer X-Men lookin' Black Bolt
Hwjh94N.jpg

In 2017

In all fairness to Buck et al., even the non-Iron Fist Netflix shows have suffered heavily from the Singer-esque "we have to keep this grounded and not lean too far into the fantastical/comic-booky vibe" syndrome.

It's a lot easier to defend that approach with street-level source material, of course.

Don't let Scott Buck touch another Marvel property again. Please.

I'm going to hatewatch this show. It's a damn shame that Inhumans was turned into a television series.

If you think about it, the Inhumans really are Marvel's X-Men but not because they're mutants but because Scott Buck is Marvel's Brian Singer.

Bryan Singer made X-2,one of the best marvel movies and some other decent films.I don't get this comparison at all

It's funny. The "Nu-Humans" that Marvel was pushing on the comic side another option to mutants wasn't received well at all. But that was the side of Inhumans that ended up being done well in the MCU, while the royal family -- the Inhumans people cared about -- was apparently botched.

And by funny, I mean depressing.
Goes along with everything else in Marvel in general. The most prominent or popular Marvel characters (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, etc.) tend to get the worse movies as a result of rights ownership and politics.

J_Viper

Does Fiege hate the Inhumans?

I thought Phase 4 of the films was supposed to focus on them, with Dom Toretto as Black Bolt.

How the fuck did this go so wrong?

In all fairness to Buck et al., even the non-Iron Fist Netflix shows have suffered heavily from the Singer-esque "we have to keep this grounded and not lean too far into the fantastical/comic-booky vibe" syndrome.

It's a lot easier to defend that approach with street-level source material, of course.
This is show with a giant teleporting dog, a woman who can control her hair and a dude who has a voice that can level mountains with a whisper.

Anyone attempting to ground it is foolish.

Does Fiege hate the Inhumans?

I thought Phase 4 of the films was supposed to focus on them, with Dom Toretto as Black Bolt.

How the fuck did this go so wrong?

I doubt Feige hates Inhumans. He more likely just didn't care enough about the property to keep it on the Studios side, especially if giving it up made it easier to free Studios from Perlmutter.

Karnak's power is finding someone's weakness and exploiting it.

With his fists.

How can you fuck that up?

Then again, these guys made fucking Iron Fist. A show that took a guy who hits stuff good and turned it into a show where everyone stops so he can make his fist glow real slow and corporate espionage.

It's even more depressing when the template for this was basically already laid out in the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes films.

Even if you don't want to straight copy that, it's easy. Just go slowmo, have Karnak scan around and notice the weak point, focus camera close up on said weak point with a subtle audio cue, then Karnak crumples a dude. Do that 2 or 3 times and people will get it, Karnak punches things in the worst place for that thing to be punched.

J_Viper

Same. Anson Mount is an awesome actor, sucks what this show turned out to be.

It's okay he has Evil Within to fall back on

Blame Ike, not Feige.

I doubt Feige hates Inhumans. He more likely just didn't care enough about the property to keep it on the Studios side, especially if giving it up made it easier to free Studios from Perlmutter.

Oh right, I forget dropping Inhumans from the film franchise was part of a dispute between the two

Damn, in that case, I understand why Fiege would sacrifice Inhumans but...damn

Not only is Scott Buck a poor writer, but he can't handle criticism well. Joy!

The Inhumans sounds like a frigging disaster, and the IMAX screening thing, is hands-down the worst IMAX decision ever. It doesn't look cinematic, not even on a TV show level. It looks like crap.

Top Bottom