• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild Frontier is out, 59p launch price too it seems!

mzl.lxkgwzsc.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.oictsdwf.320x480-75.jpg

I am still trying to play Queens Crown and another good rpg comes out, but I am happy :D

gkryhewy

Minsc said:
Yea, at least there's the iPod Touch's, if for some reason I did switch. PS Suite is definitely one of the most interesting things to happen to the mobile gaming space in a long time, I wonder how far off it is from being on 10s of millions of phones?

10s of millions of shitty virtual dpads. What a waste of time.

Downhome

I just decided to take a risk and blind buy that new Astro Boy game but I'm getting the "no longer available" message. I was going to take one for the team, but it wont let me, sorry!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Dash Kappei said:
:O

Mind powa
I came into the thread asking for a Meteos iOS game!

I think i wrote a post about Q entertainment should put some games on the app store especially since they would work very well with a touch screen. oh well.

dream said:
Me too but I know how it will turn out. :(

Is Wild Frontier really the greatest adventure story?

Yea same here, the game said its been out since Nov 11, 2010 but there are no real reviews for it not even on youtube.

Downhome said:
I just decided to take a risk and blind buy that new Astro Boy game but I'm getting the "no longer available" message. I was going to take one for the team, but it wont let me, sorry!

I am receiving the same error. Anyone see the sole review on the app, its a little suspect. Wonder who are the developers for the game.

Battleheart is really something special. Extremely polished, retina, great effects, 60fps, universal, fun battle system. Definitely recommended. 

japtor

braves01 said:
I bought Espgaluda II a couple days ago and I CANNOT STOP PLAYING.

The controls are precise, the game looks great visually with no slowdown except when Gamecenter chirps in for achievements or high scores, and the sound track is excellent, too. Not to mention the game, expensive for iOS at $9, is still a fraction of the cost you'd pay for import prices. Who'd have thought the bullet hell genre would be so well suited to this platform? I'm probably going to pick up Dodonpachi soon as well. Here's to Cave bringing out as much of their catalog as possible.
I consider DDP is the better playing game (on iOS) cause some tweaks with the buttons...and just less complexity, I always screw up in Esp when switching in and out of kakusei mode and turning shot on and off and switching shots. I should probably just stick with the 2 button mode.

I think in the 1up interview a little while back they mentioned going for a game per quarter, and hopefully more, including possible ports of older games. On their DDP survey they mentioned Mushi Futari being the top or 2nd requested game, with Ketsui at 3rd everywhere (I think the other in the top 3 was DDP DOJ). I'm hoping for Ketsui myself.
Barkley's Justice said:
I'm surprised no one's ported Sewer Shark or Night Trap yet??

Would buy either an in an instant!
Not sure about Sewer Sharks, but I'm guessing Night Trap would be rejected (or put on sale and pulled) in an instant.

Gamecocks625 said:
Battleheart is really something special. Extremely polished, retina, great effects, 60fps, universal, fun battle system. Definitely recommended. 
I was hoping it had multiplayer like Diablo or Gauntlet so a bunch of us could play together, but that sounds promising.'

Jonnyram

I wish more games had external save files / syncing to the cloud.
I had to factory reset my iPhone to get rid of jailbreak shit (for work apps), and as a result, I've lost a shitload of progress on some stuff like Infinity Blade, PvZ and my complete Ghost Trick save (not that I would replay that one). Hope Apple comes out with a solid system for a future iOS update.

kennah

Gamecocks625 said:
It even plays great on a 3G.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
MercuryLS said:
Where is mah Swords and Sworcery???

I would kill for Bard's Tale I - III

Really EA could be killing the ios.. they have sooooo many games that could be ported for cheap. Why isn't it happening.. don't get me wrong high budget games like Dead Space II are awesome but porting a game like Bard's Tale or Wing Commander or Ultima..

Also SSI DD gold box games please... pretty please..

hyp

Jonnyram said:
I had to factory reset my iPhone to get rid of jailbreak shit (for work apps), and as a result, I've lost a shitload of progress on some stuff like Infinity Blade, PvZ and my complete Ghost Trick save (not that I would replay that one). Hope Apple comes out with a solid system for a future iOS update.
agreed. most annoying thing about the iOS platform. hell, apple should leverage mobilme w/ cloud save syncing so I could get more use out of it!

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
neojubei said:
I am receiving the same error. Anyone see the sole review on the app, its a little suspect. Wonder who are the developers for the game.
I also tried buying the Astro Boy game and got the "temporarily unavailable" message. And yes, that solitary review from "Astro Boy2866" smacks of plant.

Clicking on either the developer's web site link or the game's support link takes you to a website that's completely in Korean, so that's of no help to me.

numble

Jonnyram said:
Could you not "restore from backup"? AFAIK it gets you things back without the jailbreak stuff.

graywolf323

Jonnyram said:

yeah there are apps that I wouldn't mind deleting (temporarily) to free up space but I don't want to lose my save file :-(

dream

Gamecocks625 said:

I just got it thinking it would be like Castle Crashers since it's from the OMG Zombies people.

Surprisingly, it isn't -- it's much better than Castle Crashers.

Jonnyram

numble said:
Could you not "restore from backup"? AFAIK it gets you things back without the jailbreak stuff.
Nope. The jailbreak stuff is carried over. I ran a memory checking app to see and it had a bunch of unwanted stuff running.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it, I don't know why I ever come in this thread! I always end up spending a couple bucks! Wild Frontier better be good! Also, cannot get enough of type of game right now.

dream

Okay, I've played enough Battleheart to be comfortable recommending it to everyone no matter what type of games you like.

Yeah, battleheart is really awesome.

Though I must have missed it, as im not sure what the minstrels main feature is, I see the notes flowing around the character I get him to target, but I cant tell what it does.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
japtor said:
I consider DDP is the better playing game (on iOS) cause some tweaks with the buttons...and just less complexity, I always screw up in Esp when switching in and out of kakusei mode and turning shot on and off and switching shots. I should probably just stick with the 2 button mode.

I think in the 1up interview a little while back they mentioned going for a game per quarter, and hopefully more, including possible ports of older games. On their DDP survey they mentioned Mushi Futari being the top or 2nd requested game, with Ketsui at 3rd everywhere (I think the other in the top 3 was DDP DOJ). I'm hoping for Ketsui myself.

Not sure about Sewer Sharks, but I'm guessing Night Trap would be rejected (or put on sale and pulled) in an instant.
Absolutely, DDPR is the better game, that's how I feel as well and that's why I still haven't re-bought
EGII on the pad.
Edit: and my vote goes for Ketsui too :)

Hige

Nobiru said:
Yeah, battleheart is really awesome.

Though I must have missed it, as im not sure what the minstrels main feature is, I see the notes flowing around the character I get him to target, but I cant tell what it does.
I found some info from the developer:

MikaMobile said:
Glad you're digging the classes so far, the bard is actually one of my favorite as he's very unique. He kinda fills the same "support" role as the cleric previously shown in screens/video. But rather than continuously healing his target, he continously buffs them with an attack/defense boost that grows in power as he levels up and upgrades his instrument. His cooldown powers include songs that heal over time, buff the party as a whole, or reset everyone else's cooldowns. Just have him point his lute at a barbarian and watch the two of them go to town.
Doesn't feel like he replaces a cleric though, since the battles go on for too long for his healing cooldown to keep the party going.

Edit: Found a better description:

MikaMobile said:
Ya know, the bard isn't terribly well explained, that's my bad. Basically he confers his "attack" stat to both the attack and defense of his target. At high levels, he pretty much turns whoever he focuses on into a tiny god, but he's more challenging to heal with compared to the cleric.

Hige said:
I found some info from the developer:

Doesn't feel like he replaces a cleric though, since the battles go on for too long for his healing cooldown to keep the party going.

Edit: Found a better description:
Awesome, sounds really cool. Though like you say, I don't think he could replace my healer, but I will for sure swap out an extra dps if the mission allows it.

Blackace said:
I would kill for Bard's Tale I - III

Really EA could be killing the ios.. they have sooooo many games that could be ported for cheap. Why isn't it happening.. don't get me wrong high budget games like Dead Space II are awesome but porting a game like Bard's Tale or Wing Commander or Ultima..

Also SSI DD gold box games please... pretty please..

Indeed. Eye of the Beholder anyone? Dungeon master? Etc.... etc...

gunstarhero

dream said:
Okay, I've played enough Battleheart to be comfortable recommending it to everyone no matter what type of games you like.

Screen shots remind me of Princess of Fury Arcade adventure. Similar?

Anno

Are any Battleheart players venturing outside of a seemingly standard Knight/Cleric/Wizard/DPS party? Right now I'm trying a Monk/Bard/Witch/Rogue group and it works surprisingly well so far. The Bard can't quite heal as well as a Cleric but the Witch gives decent healing via her lifetap spell and monks tank surprisingly well.

This is one of maybe three or four games that I feel really defines what idevices can do game wise. I'll take one of these over a thousand consolish games.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Damn it, I don't know why I ever come in this thread! I always end up spending a couple bucks! Wild Frontier better be good! Also, cannot get enough of type of game right now.

I've only played a little of WF, and outside of a finnicky virtual D-Pad, it's a gorgeous little game. I read the WF Touch Arcade thread, and sidestepping the hyperbole, folks are saying it's the best KRPG on the platform thus far. It's got a nice set of missions opening up.

I'll post more once I get deeper into it.

At the moment, I've got the following on the go:

- Hybrid
- Ascendancy (goddamn awesome, although someone needs to do a UI overhaul)
- Reckless Racing
- Heavy Mach 2 (the best kind of grind - in a customisable vertical tank)

Plus all the older titles. Some great gaming.

Pylon_Trooper said:
I've only played a little of WF, and outside of a finnicky virtual D-Pad, it's a gorgeous little game. I read the WF Touch Arcade thread, and sidestepping the hyperbole, folks are saying it's the best KRPG on the platform thus far. It's got a nice set of missions opening up.

I'll post more once I get deeper into it.
How is the frame rate? I ended up enjoying Queens Crown a lot more than Zenonia 2 because it had a much better frame rate. That's my only concern about the game right now.

Pretty damn smooth. Good clean pixel art, but bear in mind I'm fresh into the game. We'll see how the framerate goes when I'm busting out big magic attacks and whatnot. Shouldn't be a problem, I predict.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
As I posted a couple of days ago, updates and new games from PikPok coming this week.

An update for Flick Kick Field Goal is in review bringing Gamecenter support, new modes, new graphics and universal.

Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff has also hit the App Store just now. DO NOT BUY IT. We'll be flicking it to free within a day. Basically a cut down build of the existing (updated) version that will be promoted and ad supported over Superbowl with an attached competition for big prizes. Will post back in here when it goes free and the official release and details go out (not promoting it before then).

Wild Frontier is great, it's native res instead of a resized mobile phone port, good animation, sword swipes actually make a distortion effect instead of just a blue line of the swing, real time night/daytime lighting (palette fades I am guessing) and overall really well made, basic korean story so far with big breasted blur haired girlfriend but I like it.

Worth 59p, grab it even if you play it in a few months time.

Sh0k

Anyone playing Battleheart on an iPad ? The game says that it is Universal but I want to know if the graphics are iPad native resolution and if they look sharp on the iPad screen.

Diablohead said:
Wild Frontier is great, it's native res instead of a resized mobile phone port, good animation, sword swipes actually make a distortion effect instead of just a blue line of the swing, real time night/daytime lighting (palette fades I am guessing) and overall really well made, basic korean story so far with big breasted blur haired girlfriend but I like it.

Worth 59p, grab it even if you play it in a few months time.

A big breasted blue haired pain in the arse girlfriend! Sheesh, can she settle down with the insults?! :D

Minsc

Gold Member
Battleheart, Queen's Crown, Wild Frontier are three nice enough for 99 cent RPGs. Happy with all of them for the price, Battleheart impressed me the most.

I guess Queen's Crown is 99cents on sale for now because of Com2uS's recent Inotia 3 release... seems really overpriced at $5, but I wonder if it's as good as the rest of them, for when it gets a price drop.

It boasts item creation like Wild Frontier, as well as a variety of classes to combine much like Battleheart.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Put about an hour into Wild Frontier last night. Impressions, ho!

It's basically a mish-mash of 2D, sprite-based, top-down Korean action RPG and Monster Hunter, of all things. Complete with crummy localization! It's crisp, well animated, and smooth-playing, more akin to Queen's Crown than Zenonia or Chronicles of Inotia.

It's definitely got that solid RPG foundation that MH mostly lacks, so grinding and leveling will get you somewhere. Level ups come quickly so far, and each will net you 3 distributable stat points to perm-boost Str, Dex, Con, and Int; as well as 1 skill point to spend on learning a new skill or leveling an existing skill. The skills appear to be spread across chain (combo) attacks, chain finishers, temp buffs, and perm passives.

The game purporsts to take place in the real world, according to the opening narration, but once actual gameplay sets in, you'd never know it. Legendary continent (not the Americas) filled with fantastical creatures and races. Oh, and there be dragons.

You start off by naming your character (male only, fixed general appearance) and selecting from one of four classes. One is basically a weapons expert, another a sword and shield type, another a dual-wielding and agile type, and I forget the last. Ranged attacker, perhaps?

Tons of slots for equipment and gear, and lot dumps for nicely organized categories of inventory which run the gamut of consumables, creature parts, recipes, and harvested/foraged/mined resources.

I'm still on the starting dagger weapon, so I'm unsure if different weapons control or chain uniquely, but combat appears to play out with chained combos of 3 attacks; the first two being regular chain strikes and the third being a finisher. You can map up to 5 skills (IIRC) to a nearby palette, and swap in upgradeable chain and/or finisher skills as needed. Doing do will decrease your mana, of course.

Buffs and passives largely speak for themselves, but do note that some buffs and AoE skills can aggro near by (or all on-screen!) creatures! All skills are arranged in sime trees and many have character level and/or minimum skill level requirements for preceding skills in the relevant tree(s). Nothing's hidden, so feel free to plan ahead for the long-term.

The game plays out more or less like you'd expect given the fusion of Korean ARPG and Monster Hunter approaches. Creature corpses are ripe for carving and looting, the environments and filled with resources to harvest, forage, and mine for. Equipment has durability to maintain with the proper consumables. You've got a cookbook to utilize while camping in order to convert your drops and resources into status and health/mana boosting goodies. Additional recipes can be procured for crafting new equipment and gear. NPCs and a message board are available to dole out quests which you can pursue, complete, and cash in.

There's a surprisingly rapidly shifting day/night cycle fhat, in a Castlevania 2 twist, sees you facing tougher enemies at night. Some decisions have Nice little consequencies. Example: maintaining equipment in the wild can see permanent drops in max durability. Doing the same back at a nearby village will never result in similarly damaged gear. There also appears to be a pet system that sees you taming wild creatures to use as hunting companions!

Finally, everything is tied together by a not totally terribad (so far) narrative. At $0.99 and 50MBs, it's tough not to recommend, honestly. There are optional IAPs, but none of them appear to be even remotely crucial to progression, and seem to be there just for the occasional bit of convenience and/or extra help. No special dollar-based in-game currencies or content lock-outs in sight!

Everything's tied together by a so far not terrible narrative and story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom