• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agyar

Sickafant said:
Has anyone tried Legendary Wars? I was wondering if there were any impressions on it, it released very recently and has been pretty long in development. It seems to be a castle defence type game with a bunch of things thrown in to spice things up.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/legendary-wars/id413423472?mt=8

mzl.niwroago.320x480-75.jpg

This looks a lot like Crystal War.

wondermega

Mario said:
Just downloaded this. Neat little game, though the collision detection seems off. Picking up the red squares should be forgiving, but the collision with the white squares should be pixel perfect.

Also, is it supposed to slow down the speed at which you are "falling" when you turn your phone upside down?

PikPok update - new game coming next week with an associated competiton featuring over US$1,000 in prizes. Get your flick kicking finger ready. More updates for existing games over the next few weeks too.

drop me a line when the news hits and I will give you some RT & FB love:)

Mario said:
Just downloaded this. Neat little game, though the collision detection seems off. Picking up the red squares should be forgiving, but the collision with the white squares should be pixel perfect.

Also, is it supposed to slow down the speed at which you are "falling" when you turn your phone upside down?
Thank God, I thought I was crazy. Sometimes I'll skate half-way into a wall, and not die, and sometimes I'll miss the wall COMPLETELY and it'll kill me. Likewise with red squares, sometimes I'll pick up ones I was near, but didn't touch.

About your second point, yes it is, kind of. The game ramps up in speed as you play, but tilting the phone up and down controls your speed while left and right controls your direction. Tilting it up, or away from you, slows you down.

qsh

Neo Member
We are looking into those issues.

How about your scores, guys? Anywhere close to 50.000?

add me to Game Centers friends: qsh

qsh said:
We are looking into those issues.

How about your scores, guys? Anywhere close to 50.000?

add me to Game Centers friends: qsh
I'm sitting pretty at #1 of 95 with 10,055. I don't think I'll stay there much longer but I can't even get near that score again (keep crashing in the 6,000s) and the closest person below me is in the 8,000 range. But then just like with Hurdle Turtle I seem to have moments of insane clarity and kick ass at a game, snag the high score, and then suck at it every time I try again. But it is INSANELY addicting, one of the most "just one more try!" games I've played in quite a while. Any chance of adding Achievements in the future? (I know the game just came out, and I don't want to act all pushy or ungrateful, just curious.)

Edit: Also out of curiosity, you said not even your testers could crack 50,000 - what were their high scores?

heringer

randomlyrossy said:
I think the controls are fine, they aren't some amazing revelation like some have made them out to be. I do wish the aiming went a little farther to the left though, I keep moving my thumb near the centre to aim and I end up moving instead.

I'm very impressed with the game for the most part though, it captures the atmosphere of Dead Space perfectly and scared the crap out of me when I played it in bed in the dark last night.

Level design is pretty poor though, lots of long corridors and small rooms.

I was seriously disappointed too when I had an objective to "hack" two consoles, I got all excited that there was going to be some cool touch screen based hacking minigame. But the "hacking" amounted to walking up to the screen and pressing the onscreen button. Huge missed opportunity there.

All that being said it is a very impressive little game, I still can't believe I can play things like this on my phone, it's madness.

Has anyone had trouble getting the unlock for Dead Space 2? I registered Dead Space iOS with my EA account but nothing has shown up in DS2. Does it just take a while or is there something else I need to do that I'm missing?
Yeah, it's definitely not perfect. I don't like tilting the device to change fire mode, for instance. Character movement and aiming are pretty flawless though.

And thank God for no minigame hacking. Hate that (I'm looking at you Bioshock and NOVA).

qsh

Neo Member
My personal best is 11,500, but I am playing on dev highscore board, so to say.

My best tester made it to the 30.000. I think, that it is possible to score 50.000. With thousands of player downloading the game per day, I think we will have a happy iPod Touch winner somewhere in February.

Also I am happy to inform you, that we work on an update. It will fix the collisions issue some mentioned.

Tf53

japtor said:
Do you pester them every day for a Trials port?
Yeah, I've been trying to get them to take up on my ideas for Trials Full HD, Trials 3D and the R-rated version Trials DD. So far, no luck.

RS4-

Ugh, been playing too much Paladog, hit level 70 something this morning, I wish it had GC support lol

Going to try out Crystal War and Legendary War.

Thanks for the whole Pixfall thing, going to give that a shot now

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
For anyone who hasn't had a chance to try Wispin yet, we're running our last free promotion (sponsored by FreeAppADay.com) for the next few days. Grab it here: http://bit.ly/WispinApp (if you enjoy the game, please help us out by taking the time to write a nice app store review! )

Also, we have a pretty hefty free content update coming next week :) Here's a preview in screenshot form:

japtor

Tf53 said:
Yeah, I've been trying to get them to take up on my ideas for Trials Full HD, Trials 3D and the R-rated version Trials DD. So far, no luck.
They probably think it's all been done before (BMX XXX).

Maybe if you combine them you can convince them: Trials Full XXX-D

wondermega

MrCheez said:
For anyone who hasn't had a chance to try Wispin yet, we're running our last free promotion (sponsored by FreeAppADay.com) for the next few days. Grab it here: http://bit.ly/WispinApp (if you enjoy the game, please help us out by taking the time to write a nice app store review! )

Also, we have a pretty hefty free content update coming next week :) Here's a preview in screenshot form:

get this game. now :)

KtSlime

MrCheez said:

Thanks I have been waiting for weeks!~

Edit: Ooooh, I still see I'm ranked 2nd after MrCheez - I somehow don't think I will beating your score anytime soon.

Vard

MrCheez said:

Nice! I've been recommending your game to everyone I know by the way! Oh, and I'm still looking forward to that part 3 "making of" blog post haha

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
ivedoneyourmom said:
Ooooh, I still see I'm ranked 2nd after MrCheez - I somehow don't think I will beating your score anytime soon.

Definitely noticed your name on the leaderboards ;) You'd be surprised though, for awhile I was the master of my own game, but quite a few people have been edging me out lately :eek:

Vard said:
Nice! I've been recommending your game to everyone I know by the way! Oh, and I'm still looking forward to that part 3 "making of" blog post haha

Thanks man! Hah, I keep having to put that off because of other stuff coming up... it'll definitely happen eventually! Thanks for the reminder ;)

Xaltmas

Neo Member
I'm sure I'm a little LTTP, but I'm absolutely hooked on Lego Harry Potter. I hope all future Lego games are ported to the iPhone like this.

Anno

Gamecocks625 said:
new Battlehearts trailer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cuMa7gHXHfI

It looks great. Already submitted to Apple so it should be out sometime this week.

Just coming here to post this. I'm glad there are other fans out there. Not sure exactly why this looks so amazing but it really does. I love the art direction and it seems like a pretty deep game.

I wonder if they have any plans for post-release DLC stuff? Considering they're only charging $2.99 I'm fairly certain I'd pony up for more stuff if this is as great as it looks.

wondermega

no idea how this one slipped by! Pac-Man Battle Royale, for FREE (iPad only - LINK), I suppose it is promo for the upcoming arcade game. Wish I had a 'pad so I could play it!!

mzl.wcnddxjn.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.iqlbtere.480x480-75.jpg

tell me how this is! I am a super-fan of Pac-Man CE

japtor

wondermega said:
no idea how this one slipped by! Pac-Man Battle Royale, for FREE (iPad only - LINK), I suppose it is promo for the upcoming arcade game. Wish I had a 'pad so I could play it!!

tell me how this is! I am a super-fan of Pac-Man CE
Yeah that came out of nowhere. Feels like a pretty barebones promo, like there's no "play to x wins" type of mode, it only goes to one round, and graphically it's kind of messy...but the gameplay itself seems to be there. It's local (same device) multiplayer only though, so only useful if you have others in the immediate vicinity to play with...which I don't right now, so I had to test it playing 2P against myself.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Dante said:
Feel like this needs to be more casual. :/

Hate to say it but watching the trailer, it looked too complex, confusing for an iOs game, or atleast what I am looking for.
The action seems pretty simple and easy to control, with the deeper stuff taking place outside of battling. I feel like there's already enough simple games streamlined for the device, like the bazillion castle defense games, this looks slightly more refreshing.

arab

anything by mika mobile is gold to me. i still believe that OMG pirates is an underrated game held back by its shitty name

Dante

butzopower said:
The action seems pretty simple and easy to control, with the deeper stuff taking place outside of battling. I feel like there's already enough simple games streamlined for the device, like the bazillion castle defense games, this looks slightly more refreshing.

Castle defense? looked more like an RPG turn based battles system.?

Tobor

Dante said:

Hate to say it but watching the trailer, it looked too complex, confusing for an iOs game, or atleast what I am looking for.
spiderman-facepalm.jpg

iOS is a big platform that can support every type of game. Don't perpetuate this bullshit about every game needing to be as simple as Angry Birds. It's not true.

Gattsu25

Banned
Dante said:

This is why we can't have good things.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tf53 said:
I joined the RedLynx marketing department this month, so I don't work on it per se, but yeah, it's definitely one of my favorite titles on iPhone as well. Easy to pick up, but takes time and skill to master.
Like draw race a lot, had it for ages now. I'd love a 'flick race', mixing draw race with the 'pencil flick' control we used to play at school.

Dante

Tobor said:
spiderman-facepalm.jpg

iOS is a big platform that can support every type of game. Don't perpetuate this bullshit about every game needing to be as simple as Angry Birds. It's not true.

That's why I qualified my statement with "What I am looking for"

The game looks cool, but I've found that simpler games get most of my time on iOS.

Shouldn't have said anything. Game looks neat, trailer just had a lot going on, I feel like if it looks chaotic in my youtube window, it's only going to be worse on a smaller iPhone screen. It sells "simple touch screen controls" but some of those scenes have 8-10 characters all fighting on screen at the same time, Prob not even a concern on a larger iPad.

japtor

mrklaw said:
Like draw race a lot, had it for ages now. I'd love a 'flick race', mixing draw race with the 'pencil flick' control we used to play at school.
I'd like a slot car variation myself (draw the line, control the throttle during the race itself)...possibly cause I could never felt like I could draw good lines while also controlling my drawing speed, but also the act of having some control during the actual race I guess. (I know of SlotZ but drawing your own lines and RedLynx's better physics would change slot racing up a lot).

Another unique racing formula that was mentioned way back: Vector Rally. Not sure if it'd satisfy your flick race desires, but it's kind of similar in that it's turn based and pretty deliberate in movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom