• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keio

For a Finer World
dream said:
It's definitely Ascendancy but I'm playing it on an iPhone and the UI is jarringly cluttered. It probably plays a lot better on the iPad.

It's pretty much a must-have if you're into MOO though. It's every bit as addictive.
Thanks - much appreciate the comments. Bought it on my iPhone (just didn't look at the price - thanks for the warning as well) but will play it on my iPad then.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tobor said:
Have you been able to get past the first boss? Keeps crashing on me. :(

Yeah... It crashed once.. But after that no issues...

manualmartin

Neo Member
Quite unusual update, developer Tactile is doing a "Football Sunday" update of Pirates vs Ninjas vs Zombies vs Pandas, to commemorate Super Bowl. The game plays like Angry Birds, but you can sort your attacks.

mzl.oaqytvfe.320x480-75.jpg

Hilarious trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhVrUmYT4_E

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pirates-vs-ninjas-vs-zombies/id396930625

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
dream said:
It's definitely Ascendancy but I'm playing it on an iPhone and the UI is jarringly cluttered. It probably plays a lot better on the iPad.

It's pretty much a must-have if you're into MOO though. It's every bit as addictive.
Never played Ascendancy, MoO, or any other 4X type of strategy game, but figured this wouldn't be the worst way to jump in. Bought, but haven't played just yet. Perhaps this weekend.

manualmartin said:
Quite unusual update, developer Tactile is doing a "Football Sunday" update of Pirates vs Ninjas vs Zombies vs Pandas, to commemorate Super Bowl. The game plays like Angry Birds, but you can sort your attacks.

mzl.oaqytvfe.320x480-75.jpg

Hilarious trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhVrUmYT4_E

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pirates-vs-ninjas-vs-zombies/id396930625
I keep meaning to try this game out but owning 3 copies of angry birds is enough for me already, maybe later down the line.

chris121580

I'm totally hooked on Disc Drivin'. If anyone downloads it, my user name is GoHoosiers30:

Back in December, a clever little game called Disc Drivin’ [$2.99/Free] was released into the App Store. It’s a racing game where you take turns flicking tiny discs around a track against up to 3 other players. The game utilizes online asynchronous play, where you will flick your disc and it will then send the data to the next person playing and allow them to take their turn, and so on and so forth. When it comes time to be your turn again, a handy push notification on your device lets you know.

The entire gameplay system works wonderfully well, and although we enjoyed the heck out of Disc Drivin’ in our original review, there were a few aspects that we felt could be improved. Over the last several weeks, the game has received a couple of updates that have addressed many of these issues. An update from mid-January added the following: the ability to send out your username over Facebook and Twitter; a rematch button after a game had finished; a list of previous opponents to make it easier to start games with people you have played already; and finally a much needed help guide that explained the ins and outs of the game.

Today, developer Pixelocity has released the 1.2 update to Disc Drivin’ that adds the single most requested feature of them all: random online matchmaking. One of the downfalls to the original release of the game was that you had to know other players’ usernames in order to start games with them. This ended up not being a huge problem as players discovered each other over social networks like Twitter and Facebook or even from our forums. But for people without a huge social network presence, this new matchmaking option is an incredibly welcome addition. It currently only supports 2 player matches, but works effortlessly and is a really nice way to pick up a match when nobody else you know is playing.

Honestly, I can’t recommend Disc Drivin’ enough. Since the game was released, it’s basically consumed my everyday life and there’s never a time when I don’t have tons of games going on at once. I showed the game to practically everybody I met at Macworld last week, and have made many of them believers as well. With these past 2 updates I’m only liking the game even more, though there’s still room for improvement. I’d like to see the random matching include more than 2 players, some more in-depth stat tracking, some sort of custom discs, and of course more tracks.

Still, Disc Drivin’ has provided me with more entertainment than I ever thought possible, and with a fully-featured ad-supported version of the game available for free there’s not reason not to give it a try. There’s a general discussion thread or a specific username trading thread in our forums where you can find people to play, and of course thanks to this latest update you can just dive right in and match up with total strangers online now too.

So, Devil May Cry 4 Refrain got released:

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/devil-may-cry-4-refrain/id407897164?mt=8#

Size: 155MB
Languages: English, Chinese, French, Japanese, Spanish
iOS version: 4.1 and up

Description

**LIMITED TIME OFFER**
We've dropped the price of Devil May Cry 4 refrain for $1.99.
This sale won't last forever! So grab them while you can.

Using “Devil May Cry 4” as a base, we made completely new Devil May Cry 4 for iPhone / iPod touch.

====================================
"Devil May Cry® 4 refrain" immerses gamers in a gothic supernatural world, where a new protagonist clashes with evil. As Nero, players will unleash incredible attacks and non-stop combos using a unique new gameplay mechanic, his powerful "Devil Bringer" arm.

Brilliant visuals and intricate details come to life as players explore new and exotic locales. Dynamic action and undeniable style combine with explosive fighting options and a gripping story to produce the incomparable experience that only a Devil May Cry game can deliver.

Game Features:

•Experience the hit console game in the palm of your hand
•Ten epic levels and eight boss fights
•Signature blend of guns and swordplay
•Deep combo system rewards stylish dispatching of enemies
•Customize your play style by collecting and spending red orbs
•Unique "Devil Bringer" arm opens up a range of combo options
•Retina display graphics and Game Center achievements

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CapcomMobile

Check out other awesome games from CAPCOM -Street Fighter IV, Ghost'N Goblins,: Gold Knights II, Mr. Bill, 1942 and more!
=========================================

mzl.vomaahbo.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.hcbampwo.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.uvoyjmlc.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.apreeteu.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.lvqaboeu.320x480-75.jpg

I want to buy it, but it's not up in the JPN store yet :/.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Hey guys, we've released our first major content update for Wispin just this morning! Included are a new level, new powerup, new enemy, and some new gameplay changes and additions to mix things up. We've also polished and improved things head to toe, and it's really practically feeling like a whole new game!

You can find full patch notes at our blog: http://bit.ly/GrumpyfaceBlog and you can grab Wispin on the app store here for $0.99: http://bit.ly/WispinApp

I have some new promo codes I'd like to share with GAF as well! If you'd like to try out the game for free, send me a PM sometime today :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Snap. Forgot about DMC4.
I'll pick it up tonight once I get home.
I actually liked the main game, though not as much as DMC3 or Bayo, admittedly!

TechSamurai

Neo Member
MrCheez said:
Hey guys, we've released our first major content update for Wispin just this morning! Included are a new level, new powerup, new enemy, and some new gameplay changes and additions to mix things up. We've also polished and improved things head to toe, and it's really practically feeling like a whole new game!

You can find full patch notes at our blog: http://bit.ly/GrumpyfaceBlog and you can grab Wispin on the app store here for $0.99: http://bit.ly/WispinApp)

Any plans to update Wispin to Universal?

Downhome

What are some of the best "gimmicky" games that you guys can recommend? You know, games that show off the different little things that the iPhone 4 is capable of. It would just be cool to have a few things like that to show people every now and then. Thanks!

Downhome said:
What are some of the best "gimmicky" games that you guys can recommend? You know, games that show off the different little things that the iPhone 4 is capable of. It would just be cool to have a few things like that to show people every now and then. Thanks!

Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor and Cut The Rope for swipe.

Bird Strike and Tilt To Live for accelerometer and tilting.

Downhome said:

This isn't a gimmicky game, but Eliss has one of the most novel and fully realized multi touch concepts ever, and the fact that the music and artwork is brilliant as well only serves to bolster its value.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
updated Feb20, 2011

Game Center & OpenFeint's NeoGAFFERS list said:
As support for Gamecenter grows, and Openfeint's not that bad as well, it seemed a good idea to give Gaffers one more reason to check out highscore leaderboards and online multiplayer. Hundred games support the feature now, and more and more are adding it by the day, either out of the gate or with a post-launch patch. Best of the best like Flick Kick Football, Dodonpachi, Bit Trip Beat and Canabalt already have it, and tomorrow your favorite game will too! Steam, Psn and Live friend lists showed us how much friendly competion, or co-operaration, can improve a game we love, and with time iOS will make for great Gamecenter communities as well... The ubiquity of portable platform will make GC a staple of the gaming experience, you don't want to miss on that, right?
Jump in! :)
Code:

[B]GAF Name[/B] = [B]Profile Name[/B] [OpenFeint; Game Center]

Dash Kappei = Dash Kappei GAF [OF&GC]

RelentlessRolento = relentlessRolento [OF&GC]

Flunkie = Flunkie44 [GC] / Flunkie [OF]

Dante = Old Jay Bear [GC]

jts = jts [GC]

soldat7 = soldat7 [GC]

marc^o^ = marc^o^ [GC]

thetrin = thetrin [GC]

hyp = hypoetical [GC&OF]

WordAssassin = Wordassassin [GC&OF]

Smokeyymicpot = Smokeyymicpot [GC]

Lagspike_exe = Lagspike_exe [GC]

The_Reckoning = The_Reckoning [GC]

U2NUMB = U2NUMB [GC]

Sirfox = Sirfox [GC]

Jayayess1190 = Jayayess1190 [GC]

Radogol = Radogol [GC]

Gamecocks625 = Gamecocks625 [GC]

Mejilan = Mejilan [GC/OF]

TechSamurai = TechSamuraiX [GC] / TechSamurai [OF]

rc213 = rc213 [GC] / rc213 [OF]

Chakankun = Chackan [GC] / Chackan [OF]

dk_ = dekow [GC]

cyport = cyport [GC&OF]

graywolf323 = graywolf323 [GC] / graywolf323 [OF]

xbhaskarx = xbhaskarx [GC & OF]

Xater = Xater [GC&OF]

Reese015 = Reese015 [GC&OF]

HosannaExcelsis = HosannaExcelsis [GC&OF]

Bioshocked = YouInReverse [GC]

Khanage = Khanage [GC] / _abu_ [OF]

jessecuster = jessecuster3 [GC]

Baconbitz = baconbitz [GC&OF]

Gunstarheroes = soupbones [GC/OF]

the TMO = theTMO [GC]

falconzss = falconzss [GC&OF]

hulot = herrhulot [GC&OF]

Jedeye Sniv = Jedeye Sniv [GC&OF]

Bungalow Bob = The Little Turkey [GC&OF]

Mejilan = Mejilan [GC/OF]

Agent White = EVaz18 [GC] 

Synless = Synless [GC]

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri = Zazen_Incidents [GC] / Zazen Incidents [OF]

Sh0k = Shokleeto [GC] / Choclito [OF]

Talon- = SteveWon [GC]

Fladam = MentorTormentor [GC] 

brassica = brassica_ [GC/OF]

Thanks to its success, the list will now get updated constantly, with the newest profiles always added to the bottom of the list.

#RULES:

• Post your profile in this thread first or otherwise you won't be added
  • **IMPORTANT**: Follow the same formatting you see on the list e.g.
    GAF name = name [GC/OF] or, if you've got different profile names, with GAF name = name [GC] / name [OF]
  • [When you add someone, it'd be polite to sign the friend request with your NeoGAF name so to easily tell who's who and avoid unknown non-registered lurkers :)
  • [Send me a pm when you want to be added to the list if I haven't noticed your post, the parse code is bit iffy so that might happen.
    Send me a pm if you want to be taken off the list or to update your profile.
  • [Don't just wait on others to add you, you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that' also an option ;)
Shouts for old games getting a Gamecenter update are always very appreciated in this thread!
The list will be posted only upon request and once in a while, something reasonable so to not make it redundant.
Ciao, see you on the leaderboards :)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Our free Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff is up on the App Store.

Related competition details will be up soon, and I'll post back in here when they are. Couple of big prizes to win.

Note: the competition will only be available to enter through "Kickoff" rather than the seperate Flick Kick Field Goal game.

sh4mike

I bought an iPod touch after seeing all the $1 classic action RPGs. I'm ready to give up after playing a handful (Hybrid 1/2, Illusia, Zenonia, 100 Rogues, Braveheart, Dungeon Hunter) due to the controls. These touch screen directional pads and buttons are brutal.

I've seen some sticky buttons that you can suction on top to represent a D-pad. Perhaps someone has experience with these. Otherwise I'll take a look at turn-based RPGs or simpler games like Peggle.

Frustrating.

Talon

I still think Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is the best game I've played on iOS, and I'm not even a racing fan. Controls work perfectly.

sh4mike said:
I bought an iPod touch after seeing all the $1 classic action RPGs. I'm ready to give up after playing a handful (Hybrid 1/2, Illusia, Zenonia, 100 Rogues, Braveheart, Dungeon Hunter) due to the controls. These touch screen directional pads and buttons are brutal.

I've seen some sticky buttons that you can suction on top to represent a D-pad. Perhaps someone has experience with these. Otherwise I'll take a look at turn-based RPGs or simpler games like Peggle.

Frustrating.
touch screen dpads are not for everyone, I find them rather good but then I am also use to it after 2 years now.

got about $1 left in my account and it's for League of Evil when it comes out tomorrow(tonight)

mzl.memxtfbc.320x480-75.jpg

probably the closest we'll get to a Super Meat Boy on iOS

Stalfos

sh4mike said:

Frustrating.
Yeah I find most games just don't work well with only a touch screen. There are of course some games that work great though. The type of games that I enjoy playing just seem to work better with a control pad. So after dabbling with playing games on my iPhone, I've now moved back to my PSP and DS for handheld entertainment.

sh4mike said:

Frustrating.
the best games are stuff like cut the ninja and fruit rope. one finger and done. fuck all that other crapola.

graywolf323

just saw this deal which some people might be interested in

Best Buy Reward Zone

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/premier/offerDetails.jspx?offerCode=42988_P

20% Off Select Gift Cards $50 and Up

Your search for a simple, can’t-miss Valentine’s Day gift ends here.

Now through February 19, if you buy any combination of iTunes Store, iTunes App Store or iBookstore download gift cards totaling $50 or more, you’ll save 20% off the purchase total. Choose from the wide assortment of popular gift cards.

This offer is available in store only and requires a coupon

so if you want to stock up on iTunes credit you can get something like $50 worth for $40 :)

sh4mike

out0v0rder said:
the best games are stuff like cut the ninja and fruit rope. one finger and done. fuck all that other crapola.
Is there a website or thread that focuses on the best "simple control" games? I've focused all my research on action RPGs to this point.

hyp

sh4mike said:
Is there a website or thread that focuses on the best "simple control" games? I've focused all my research on action RPGs to this point.

get battlehearts. it was built for the platform and has some rpg elements. not a long-form game but pretty awesome imo.

Going overseas shortly and taking my iPad and would like some recommendations for games that will keep me interested and busy for a while. Especially any RPG's or alike.

Thanks!

bathala said:
Super Mega Worm vs Death Worm both r on sale for .99

which should I get

Personally I much preferred Super Mega Worm, the style grabbed me more than Death Worm. I really liked the progression too as you gained more powers and got bigger.

Dash Kappei

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I'm Zazen_Incidents on Game Center if you want to add me. I'll probably grab BattleHeart as well.

Dynamite_Ringo_Matsuri=Zazen_Incidents [GC/OF]
There's an error, your OF user name it's different than GC's, on OF it's just Zazen Incidents without the _
Edit: Actually, you even wrote your GAF name wrong :p

Dash Kappei

sh4mike said:

Frustrating.
I agree with you that most games just control like shit, but all of that really depends not only on Touch implementations, but also a lot on the touch code of the game.
Take Geometry Wars and Infinity Field, the latter is "just" a clone of the former, it uses *exactly the same* control scheme and it controls like a dream where Geo Wars Touch failed miserably.
It also take a bit of time to adapt to touch only games, you'll see that next week you'll probably do a lot better already.
Althought I feel like saying that, well, if you have a problem controlling 100 Rougue, a turn based classic rougue game, that doesn't bode well for you: I mean, there's nothing difficult in a game like that, where you can take all the time in the world to do the right thing and where touch controls are quite well implemented: the same game with a stylus on NDS wouldn't control so easily.

Dash Kappei said:
There's an error, your OF user name it's different than GC's, on OF it's just Zazen Incidents without the _
Edit: Actually, you even wrote your GAF name wrong :p
Shhhhh, my utter incompetence is my secret shame, and they must never know... :/

bathala

Banned
randomlyrossy said:
Personally I much preferred Super Mega Worm, the style grabbed me more than Death Worm. I really liked the progression too as you gained more powers and got bigger.
ok bought mega worms. the reviews for death are not that positive too

Also Game dev is on sale for .99 (bought)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom