• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezuth

Sqorgar said:
Exactly. Which is why we shouldn't support it. If we want better, more innovative, more creative games, then we can't accept barely different clones as the status quo. We have to expect better and reward it appropriately.

It's weird that everybody in here is defending Tiny Wings, but over in the FortressCraft thread, they are ready to crucify the clone maker.
Because they are not the same.

People need to calm down. Game is awesome, obviously not a direct rip, instead of burning this dev at the cross, why not continue to go after the more blatant copies. Not games who have unique attributes, and art styles, showing that hard work was put in, instead of a cash in clone.

IMG_0223.png

i'll give you guys a preview of the next update of my iphone game.
working on a new ball model also added scoring system overall more polished.
Will probably submit this in a couple weeks.

xbhaskarx said:
Are you really defending Rope Cut? Really? Do you support the stolen version of The Blocks Cometh, too?

How about you make an Android game, and I'll port it to iOS without your permission but using all of your assets, ideas, designs, etc. Maybe I'll change the sprite of the main character, re-arrange the words in the name of your app, and then I'll sell it. Would you like that? That's ok with you?

Guys I have some good news. My latest game was just released today. It's called Rollatron: Mission 0.

The character is the same as the last game but it's actually very different. If you've played the last game This is the second part after you've made it to the castle. In the 3rd part you will defeat the dragon.

It's free since there are still some minor bugs but the game is beatable so get it now.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rollatron-mission-0/id421520925?mt=8&ls=1

60_gig_PS3 said:
Guys I have some good news. My latest game was just released today. It's called Rollatron: Mission 0.

The character is the same as the last game but it's actually very different. If you've played the last game This is the second part after you've made it to the castle. In the 3rd part you will defeat the dragon.

It's free since there are still some minor bugs but the game is beatable so get it now.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rollatron-mission-0/id421520925?mt=8&ls=1

IMG_0205.png

and here is the screenshot. Yeah it's no Rainbow 6 but what are you gonna do?

Minsc

Gold Member
The moral of the story is, if you have a game, you better release it on every platform known to man ASAP. Especially iOS. And PC (just cause I like owning stuff on there the most).

If not, well someone else will be glad to do it for you. So get your stuff together.

Minsc said:
The moral of the story is, if you have a game, you better release it on every platform known to man. Especially iOS.

No, the moral is, if you want to sell a game in iOS, you better make a cute and appealing graphically game, instead of a ball bouncing over polygons.

Talking about Wavespark, no offenses to 60_gig_PS3 and his Rollatron game
(but, 60_gig_PS3, better get a graphical artist NOW)

I'm glad that Angry Birds and Tiny Wings are getting so much respect as it means Gameloft should receive the same for making great games.

Copies are great games too!

DangerousDave said:
No, the moral is, if you want to sell a game in iOS, you better make a cute and appealing graphically game, instead of a ball bouncing over polygons.

Talking about Wavespark, no offenses to 60_gig_PS3 and his Rollatron game
(but, 60_gig_PS3, better get a graphical artist NOW)

Let me tell you from experience that it's not easy to make a fully flushed out polished and original game and then sell it for under $5. Users demand it then end up disappointed.
There will usually be corners cut in at least one area. That's partly why IOS games aren't very satisfying to me.

The emphasis is usually on the graphics and art while the meat of the game ends up on the cutting room floor (or it's an exact copy of something else).

Not to say my games are any better but at least I'm trying to do something a little different.

oracrest

DangerousDave said:
THANKS

My avatar was awfully taken from the emote of a forum

You know, it looks like a Prometheus/ANJ original? I just noticed that I missed a few whites of transparency underneath the ghost on one of the frames, ill fix that later. I love the image, but hated to ever see it blurry when rezed up! I never knew how to save out a transparency on an animated GIF, or how to scale up without blurring the image, so, you learn something new every day....

60_gig_PS3 said:
Let me tell you from experience that it's not easy to make a fully flushed out polished and original game and then sell it for under $5. Users demand it then end up disappointed.
There will usually be corners cut in at least one area. That's partly why IOS games aren't very satisfying to me.

The emphasis is usually on the graphics and art while the meat of the game ends up on the cutting room floor (or it's an exact copy of something else).

Not to say my games are any better but at least I'm trying to do something a little different.

Well, that's why i was talking about selling, not making good games. And I'm also a programmer, so I know how frustrating is that the cuteness is a so demanded feature if you want to million-sell in iPhone. But, well, this is the world we live. I'm glad that you enjoy making games, giving priority at your values instead of the selling values, honestly.

Sqorgar

Banned
60_gig_PS3 said:
Let me tell you from experience that it's not easy to make a fully flushed out polished and original game and then sell it for under $5.
So iOS users should settle for what lazy developers think is easy?

(And it absolutely is easy to make a fully fleshed out, polished, and original app and then sell it for under $5. I did.)

Sqorgar said:
So iOS users should settle for what lazy developers think is easy?

(And it absolutely is easy to make a fully fleshed out, polished, and original app and then sell it for under $5. I did.)

No they'll have to settle for simple mini games and a lot of clones.
Which game did you make?

Dante said:
Seeing as how angry birds did kinda the same thing......I think I am seeing a pattern.

Take solid game concept.

Add birds.

PROFIT!
Robot Avian Attack
Scorched Earth (worms?) w/ birds.....the possibilities are endless.

Seriously though...Is it a rip off? Sure looks like it, but as others have said te guy clearly put a huge amount of effort into elevating the aesthetics of the experience. That kind of thing matters.

Is it bad form for him not to even reference the original as an inspiration? Probably...but who knows what legal ramifications that could have if the original author files a claim.

PalaceBrother said:
Is it bad form for him not to even reference the original as an inspiration? Probably...but who knows what legal ramifications that could have if the original author files a claim.
Not a damn thing. It may be shameless (it's not), but there is nothing that could legally be done.

Pastry

Banned
This is a random question but are app reviews unique to the seperate countries app store? Occasionally I will see a review in a different language but they probably just have accounts with the US app store?

dream

krypt0nian said:
I'm glad that Angry Birds and Tiny Wings are getting so much respect as it means Gameloft should receive the same for making great games.

Copies are great games too!

The difference is Gameloft's stuff is fucking terrible.

Wavespark is hardly original. There's a just like for 360 called sin(surfing)
and before that it was called Excitebike.

The jumping in Tiny Wings is straight out of Mario 64.

big_z

There's been flash games like tiny wings years ago. Angry birds isn't original either, in fact very few games on iPhone are original ideas. A lot of it us just spruced up flash concepts.

Btw anyone get pat island 8 in tiny wings?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
big_z said:
There's been flash games like tiny wings years ago. Angry birds isn't original either, in fact very few games on iPhone are original ideas. A lot of it us just spruced up flash concepts.

Btw anyone get pat island 8 in tiny wings?

I've made it to Island 9.

whCmd.jpg

jax (old)

Banned
did anyone mention the Gameloft $0.99 sale? Well, bought about 5-6 games today.

who cares if tiny wings is a plagirised piece of shit. does it affect ur enjoy? Nothing is original anymore.

Talon

Robert Ashley said:
Having a good idea is only 5% of making something like this. It's all in the execution. This other game is basically a sketch. What you like about Tiny Wings is the execution and polish on that idea. To call it a rip off is to diminish the crazy amount of work that went into making it great.
Seriously, y'all.

This is the basis for entrepreneurship. It's not enough to have a great idea. You have to execute and deliver for an idea to matter.

Aaron

Jonnyram said:
Bullshit.
They copy the game idea but lack the polish of others. That's way worse.
Gameloft's games tend to be pretty polished, and while they are utterly shameless in the aspects they do steal, they do have unique elements. For example, the design of NOVA is straight out of Halo... the level layout and how the encounters are set up are its own thing. Dungeon Hunter used Diablo as a starting point, but the game plays out nothing like Diablo. And again the games that inspired them don't have any version on ios.

I really don't think this is any different.

dream

Aaron said:
Gameloft's games tend to be pretty polished, and while they are utterly shameless in the aspects they do steal, they do have unique elements. For example, the design of NOVA is straight out of Halo... the level layout and how the encounters are set up are its own thing. Dungeon Hunter used Diablo as a starting point, but the game plays out nothing like Diablo.

I dunno...the Tiny Wings thing is disappointing but at least people had fun with it. NOVA 2 went on sale and GAFers spent more time downloading it than they did playing the thing.

The last Gameloft game I personally played was Shadow Guardian and I really thought it was one of the worst games I've played on this platform.

Jonnyram

Aaron said:
Gameloft's games tend to be pretty polished, and while they are utterly shameless in the aspects they do steal, they do have unique elements. For example, the design of NOVA is straight out of Halo... the level layout and how the encounters are set up are its own thing. Dungeon Hunter used Diablo as a starting point, but the game plays out nothing like Diablo. And again the games that inspired them don't have any version on ios.

Maybe I'm not talking about polish but the amount of love the creators put into it. Tiny Wings was clearly made with a lot of care, and wasn't just made as an idea to cash in on a popular genre/well-known franchise. When I look through gameloft's repertoire, there are two things that pop into my head: 1) hugely popular license and/or 2) rip-off of an AAA title. I don't think either of those have much merit.

jax (old)

Banned
gameloft copies generic ideas and makes games which are mostly generic. But at $0.99... its not bad.

I wouldn't pay real money for them

Jonnyram said:
Maybe I'm not talking about polish but the amount of love the creators put into it. Tiny Wings was clearly made with a lot of care, and wasn't just made as an idea to cash in on a popular genre/well-known franchise. When I look through gameloft's repertoire, there are two things that pop into my head: 1) hugely popular license and/or 2) rip-off of an AAA title. I don't think either of those have much merit.

Thankfully they provide us with games that others don't see fit to port to iOS. For that alone they get my dollars.

And ripping off EA or Activision is far more noble than what Tiny Wings did. Ripping off a small dev that did put love into his small game and taking it to #1 game on the charts.

Gameloft does more for the iOS platform than anyone besides Apple.

Aaron

Jonnyram said:
So you shit on gameloft developers for bringing versions of popular titles to ios, not hiding this fact, while talk about 'love' for some dev who clearly ripped off another game wholesale and didn't say a word about it? I think it says a lot more about your perceptions than the developers involved. This indie illusion that only a single guy making a game can 'have the love' and a team of people working on a more commercial product are obviously in it for the money.

I'm playing through NOVA right now and it's an impressive game. Artistically, it might have been better if they hadn't ripped Halo for the design, but that sells more and lets them keep producing at this level of quality, and not be reduced to cranking out shitty $1 zombie games. Gameloft is the most ambitious developer on ios. Sure, they might not have the visuals of Infinity Blade, but at least it's not a five minute long Punch Out clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom