• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalfos

kurahadol said:
I'm in need of a decent type of stop watch app that will go off at set intervals. Basically, I want to run for 30s, then walk 30s, and repeat, so just something to go off at a set time like that. Can anyone suggest something to fit my needs?
Runkeeper has an option for audio cues every 1 minute. It will also keep track of your workout via GPS so you'll know how far you went and how much time it took you.

Husker86

Decado said:
I haven't had my phone very long, but I gotta say, the battery life is really low on this thing. Even when I'm not using it, it goes down 1/3+ per day. Is this normal for a smart phone?

The iPhone battery life is amazing for a smart phone, the only that might be better are some Blackberries but I don't count the non-touchscreen ones as they, well, have small screens. This is not going to pull off your old flip-phone's 2 week battery life, obviously.

my 3Gs's cracks at the silence toggle has grown it will slowly migrating to center. I dunno if i can hold out, for September for the new phone i might just get the iphone 4 white =/.

mrkgoo

Out of curiosity, do you think Apple will incorporate Thunderbolt syncing in the next round of iOS device updates? Sure, they took firewire out to be more universal, but seeing as they aren't likely to adopt USB3.0 in a hurry, iPods/iphones seem to be a great way to push Thunderbolt, even if thunderbolt were primary, and a USB dongle included for backwards compatibility (or vice versa or just include both cables).

I mean, superfast data transfer? sign me up!

Also, what's the likelihood that the 3G will get another iOS update? I mean, it's got the location 'bugs' as well, right? They have to fix those?

mrkgoo

thewesker said:
If anything the 3G will get just the location fix and nothing else.

Sure, but it means an update, right? Actually, I don't know why I care. I sort of was hoping a semi reinstall would fix a bug I've been having, but to be honest, nothing's really stopping me from just restoring to begin with.

numble

Technosteve said:
my 3Gs's cracks at the silence toggle has grown it will slowly migrating to center. I dunno if i can hold out, for September for the new phone i might just get the iphone 4 white =/.
You can try to stop the bleeding a bit by maybe buying replacement parts. Anyway wait till June 6 at the very least.

Technosteve said:
Put a screen film over it

sruckus

kurahadol said:
I'm in need of a decent type of stop watch app that will go off at set intervals. Basically, I want to run for 30s, then walk 30s, and repeat, so just something to go off at a set time like that. Can anyone suggest something to fit my needs?
I've been looking into this myself. Take a look at seconds.

Kimosabae

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Hey guys, someone sold me a iphone 3GS for $20 with a cracked screen and some sort of malfunction. It keeps waking up out of sleep every few seconds, which kills the battery within minutes. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this malfunction and how much it may cost to fix, along with the screen. I also need to Jailbreak it, so if the cost is too high I may just return it to him.

Anyone?

Husker86

Kimosabae said:
Kinda hard to guess what the random wake issue is, could be the button or could be a board issue or even software. The glass is cheap to fix though, go on eBay.

I'd try a software restore first.

Blackhead

Redarse
Husker86 said:
Kinda hard to guess what the random wake issue is, could be the button or could be a board issue or even software. The glass is cheap to fix though, go on eBay.

I'd try a software restore first.

He could take it to an apple store and get their free assessment of what exactly the problems are.

dmshaposv

what would be the best remote app, to control your mac through your iphone?

I'm using remote mouse, and I wish it allowed some gesture controls (only has 2 finger scroll). Any interesting alts? app store isnt helpful.

Husker86

dmshaposv said:

I'm using remote mouse, and I wish it allowed some gesture controls (only has 2 finger scroll). Any interesting alts? app store isnt helpful.
You just want a simple app that acts like a beefed up mouse or full-on control? I used TeamViewer for my remote desktop app and liked it. Might be awkward though if you're just controlling your computer hooked up to a TV or something.

BeeDog

dmshaposv said:

Try Mobile Mouse Pro.

Decado

scorcho said:
basically, and you're dealing with a phone that has the best battery life of most any device in its class.
damn. Good to know. I was thinking about using it as my primary source of entertainment for a flight, but I could see this thing easily getting drained in a day if you actually used it a lot.

numble

Decado said:
damn. Good to know. I was thinking about using it as my primary source of entertainment for a flight, but I could see this thing easily getting drained in a day if you actually used it a lot.
You can pick up a cheap external charger on Amazon or something. But for the most part it should usually last a long flight, since a lot of the drain comes from the 3G/Voice/Wifi connections.

guest1321

Decado said:

Generally speaking, a day's usage of my iPhone put's me down to around 66% on average; however, I can kill my battery by playing games. Surprisingly though, having wi-fi on all day and being connected did not affect my battery life that much.

Magnus

So, something's up with my 3GS for a week or so now. The screen sometimes has a full, screen-wide yellow tint to it, very noticeable. It looks very much like what a video signal on a TV would like if, say, one of three RGB cables was removed, leaving the whole image lacking a third of the palette or something, and the result is a washed-out, yellowed image.

It happens intermittently when I press any button to wake the display up. I'd say, 60% of the time, I get the washed-out display, and the other 40%, it's perfectly normal.

Yesterday, Genius at the Apple Store suggested a cable might be loose on the inside. He cracked it open in the back, said he reconnected everything firmly, and then the problem seemed to stop happening for a few hours. Tonight, it's started again, and the rate is higher than 60% occurrence for sure.

To be clear, when I wake the display up and it's tinted like I described, it stays that way until the display is turned off. Then when woken again, it's like I hop on the roulette again and chance whether it'll be tinted or not.

Very frustrating! Any suggestions?

Man guys, don't know what to do. I'm on AT&T and eligible for a phone upgrade. I was going to get a white 16GB 4G but now I'm wondering if I should wait until September for the 5G. What do you guys think? (Right now I have a dumbphone, this would be my first smartphone.)

Edit: Wait, I guess the 4S is coming or something?

JonCha

Genesis Knight said:
Man guys, don't know what to do. I'm on AT&T and eligible for a phone upgrade. I was going to get a white 16GB 4G but now I'm wondering if I should wait until September for the 5G. What do you guys think? (Right now I have a dumbphone, this would be my first smartphone.)

Edit: Wait, I guess the 4S is coming or something?

Well, the 5 is only going to be a slight spec change. iOS 5 is being tested on the 4, so you're only going to be upgrading for a (possibly) revised form factor and (possibly) increased camera resolution to the 8 megapixels. Of course there might be a 3.7 inch screen, too. So it's probably considering whether you like the 4's design or not.

You could always just sell the phone on eBay, too.

dc89

btrboyev said:
that looks terrible.

So you don't like white iPhones?

Fair enough.

Maybe my picture doesn't do it justice because I have the recently launched white iPhone and apart from the sensor being a solid black mass on the revision there is not much difference at all.

bionic77

Is there anything better than Pandora for streaming music to your phone?

The selection can get very repetitive on Pandora at times...

Sofo

Decado said:
Not sure how long your flight will be but on my flight back from Oslo (3hours~), I played Cut the Rope Lite and watched the Princess and the Frog on it, and it still was only down to 60-80%, from 100% (more towards 80, but I can't remember, sorry).

JonCha said:
Well, the 5 is only going to be a slight spec change. iOS 5 is being tested on the 4, so you're only going to be upgrading for a (possibly) revised form factor and (possibly) increased camera resolution to the 8 megapixels. Of course there might be a 3.7 inch screen, too. So it's probably considering whether you like the 4's design or not.

You could always just sell the phone on eBay, too.

Okay, cool. Now should I do White or Black? I thought White would be best because it's newer but I'm hearing weird things about the screen.

Bought a new Candyshell case for my phone as my prior one was starting to crack.

I'm not certain if this is nationwide but Office Depot had the Speck Candyshells on sale for $26, and they were Buy 1 Get 1 free, so I picked up a pink one for the girlfriend and a gray one for myself.

Considering going back on Friday to buy a pair to put in storage.

AcciDante

Are the white iphone4's hard to find? I'm thinking about upgrading from my 3GS with my tax return money. Has there been any problems with the white ones?

AbsoluteZero said:
Bought a new Candyshell case for my phone as my prior one was starting to crack.

I'm not certain if this is nationwide but Office Depot had the Speck Candyshells on sale for $26, and they were Buy 1 Get 1 free, so I picked up a pink one for the girlfriend and a gray one for myself.

Considering going back on Friday to buy a pair to put in storage.
I'm pretty sure they are. I'll check when I go into work tonight.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone know of an app that can take photos of barcodes then scan the bar code on the iphone to use? i have a lot of discount cards and thought it would be nice to put them on my iphone rather than carry around.

edit: i think i found one.

komarkaze

neojubei said:
Anyone know of an app that can take photos of barcodes then scan the bar code on the iphone to use? i have a lot of discount cards and thought it would be nice to put them on my iphone rather than carry around.

edit: i think i found one.
A guy I know developed a free app called CardStar. You select the type of card by company, then you enter the card number. The app will generate the bar code for you, and you use that to scan. I put my cards next to the generated bar codes and they did match correctly.

mYm|17|

so my 3g already has spider web cracks on the screen. I dropped the phone for the 3rd time in 3 days yesterday.

This is a sign for the iPhone 5 to come out already so I can upgrade.

zychi

Banned
So guys my iphone 4 wont connect to any laptops or chargers, and when connected to my windows laptop it tells me the usb device can't be recognized due to an error.

It still charges over usb tho. I am jailbroken from the day the iphone 4 came out, is my port broken? Or is this a known issue? If my port is broken is there anyway to unjailbreak it without connecting to a computer? I've made an appointment with my local apple store for tomorrow to swap it out if I have to and would like it to be on legit ios.

e: is there a way to backup my jailbreak? so when I swap out the phone I can just load up what I have right now?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
komarkaze said:
A guy I know developed a free app called CardStar. You select the type of card by company, then you enter the card number. The app will generate the bar code for you, and you use that to scan. I put my cards next to the generated bar codes and they did match correctly.

That's the one i downloaded, thanks.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I dropped my phone and the back plate cracked. Is there anywhere to order an official OEM back plate? I see some online but aren't sure if they're legit.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the genius bar will do it for 50 bones?

numble

Ermac said:
I dropped my phone and the back plate cracked. Is there anywhere to order an official OEM back plate? I see some online but aren't sure if they're legit.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the genius bar will do it for 50 bones?
They will do it for $20-30, not sure. It may be cheaper online. Most online ones should be practically indistinguishable from the replacement at the Apple Store.

kehs

Banned
Welcome to the future guys

iOS5 OTA updates

Those aches, however, may soon be coming to an end. 9to5Mac has multiple sources informing it that Apple and Verizon are scheming to start delivering iOS updates over the air from this fall, or just as soon as iOS 5 is made available.

I'm new to Apple's releases. Are they most likely going to have a new iphone out around that time, or is the iOS 5 thing just going to be about software?

AcciDante

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Ace 8095 said:
Are there any other cases like the otterbox defender? Specifically cases with built in screen protectors.
There are some. Believe me, with the money I paid for my iPhone, I've looked. But, IMO, the otterbox defender is the best. My only complaint is that the silicone is starting to come loose around the edges of the hard shell. I've read a few others have had this problem. But, Otterbox has replaced the silicone for free. So, great customer service is also another benefit.

I updated my ViPhone to 4.2.8 this morning. No issues with it screwing up my apps, pics, text, or music so far.

giga

Copernicus said:

iOS5 OTA updates
It's funny how they used Apple TV as their testbed for these features. Apple TV (2G) always had ability to stream media from your computer, update over the air, and not require iTunes at first use. The biggest difference though is that there's no real local user content on the Apple TV. I wonder what route they're taking with backing up that data. Obvious choice seems to be the
i
Cloud, but an on-device backup would be nice as well if there's enough space.

The Big Rig said:
I'm new to Apple's releases. Are they most likely going to have a new iphone out around that time, or is the iOS 5 thing just going to be about software?
WWDC: iOS 5 preview and developer beta
Fall: iOS 5 and iPhone 5 release

dc89

Copernicus said:

iOS5 OTA updates

I hope this means more than initially meets the eye.

When you update, you back your phone up to iTunes and it re-syncs once done. Does this mean we will be able to back our iPhone's up to the cloud before a update?

numble

dc89 said:

When you update, you back your phone up to iTunes and it re-syncs once done. Does this mean we will be able to back our iPhone's up to the cloud before a update?
The idea of backing up 32 GB over the 3G air is kind of crazy though...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
dc89 said:

I'm hoping I still have the option do keep doing it the way it's is now. I've seen what happens to smartphones during an update when connections or batteries fail. It's not pretty.

giga

numble said:
The idea of backing up 32 GB over the 3G air is kind of crazy though...
Is that the size of your backup? Lots of stuff in your camera roll I suppose? :p

My iPad backup is 32MB and iPhone 70MB. Preferably, things like your contacts, application settings, messages, calendars, passwords, and other things that iTunes backs up should just sync to iCloud/Mobile Me. No need for that backup process if it's constantly synced online.

numble

giga said:
Is that the size of your backup? Lots of stuff in your camera roll I suppose? :p

My iPad backup is 32MB and iPhone 70MB. Preferably, things like your contacts, application settings, messages, calendars, passwords, and other things that iTunes backs up should just sync to iCloud/Mobile Me. No need for that backup process if it's constantly synced online.
My iPad backup is 5GB and iPhone 13GB.

If you go on subways or planes a lot, you need to store all your media locally. I also have a ton of games. And yeah, tons of photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom