• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

numble said:
My iPad backup is 5GB and iPhone 13GB.

If you go on subways or planes a lot, you need to store all your media locally. I also have a ton of games. And yeah, tons of photos.
Wait, I have several gigs of local media but that stuff isn't backed up. I was under the impression that synced content such as music, movies, apps aren't backed up.

iTunes will back up the following information:
Address Book and Address Book favorites.
App Store Application data (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
Application settings, preferences, and data.
Autofill for webpages.
CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
Calendar accounts.
Calendar events.
Call history.
Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
In-app purchases.
Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, the keychain information is transferred to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, the keychain can only be restored to the same iPhone or iPod touch. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync).
Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
Mail accounts.
Managed Configurations/Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, all settings related to the configuration profiles will not be restored (accounts, restrictions, or anything else that can be specified through a configuration profile). Note that accounts and settings that are not associated with a configuration profile will still be restored.
Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
Network settings (saved wifi spots, VPN settings, network preferences).
Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
Notes.
Offline web application cache/database.
Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
SMS and MMS (pictures and video) messages.
Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
Voice memos.
Voicemail token (This is not the Voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
Wallpapers.
Web clips.
YouTube bookmarks and history.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

numble

giga said:
Wait, I have several gigs of local media but that stuff isn't backed up. I was under the impression that synced content such as music, movies, apps aren't backed up.

iTunes will back up the following information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766
Okay, that does make sense, since the music/movies/apps would've put those file sizes much higher.

I guess it's photos and application data (I have a lot of stuff in GoodReader, a lot of those cooking apps download video in-app, etc.).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Don't even understand how is OTA update going to work with Iphone. Last update was 666MB, downloading that through 3G is going to take an eternity and kill your battery too. Maybe from IOS5 onward they will provide delta updates so they can make them much smaller.

LCfiner

Lord Error said:
Don't even understand how is OTA update going to work with Iphone. Last update was 666MB, downloading that through 3G is going to take an eternity and kill your battery too. Maybe from IOS5 onward they will provide delta updates so they can make them much smaller.

moving to delta updates is a bigger deal than OTA updates, imo. that benefits everyone including ipad and ipod touch users.

if that's a "side effect" of enabling an OTA update mechanism then thumbs up from me.

dmshaposv

why do i have to $7 for soundhound on App store while my friend can get it for FREE on android store.

I don't mind paying for some apps (paid for whatsapp even tho its free on android and $1 on App store) but this is fucking ridiculous.

numble

dmshaposv said:
why do i have to $7 for soundhound on App store while my friend can get it for FREE on android store.

I don't mind paying for some apps (paid for whatsapp even tho its free on android and $1 on App store) but this is fucking ridiculous.
Soundhound is free on App Store/Android Market
Soundhound Infinity is $4.99 on Android Market
Soundhound Infinity is $6.99 on App Store.

I got Soundhound Infinity on the App Store when it was doing a free promotion.

Apbei.png

dmshaposv

Only Soundhound infinity is available in my app store. Sonofabitch.

What would be the best way to go about getting the normal soundhound, bypassing itunes/app store?

It is annoying that I can't get free software im entitled to just because of stupid restrictions in the country im in.

numble

dmshaposv said:
Only Soundhound infinity is available in my app store. Sonofabitch.

What would be the best way to go about getting the normal soundhound, bypassing itunes/app store?

It is annoying that I can't get free software im entitled to just because of stupid restrictions in the country im in.
You can Google for a way to make a US account. You don't need to supply credit card information if you are only downloading free apps.

Oyashiro

Hey guys, I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and I'm trying to find a Cydia app that will let me use the volume rocker to take pics with Camera+ and Instagram. I've tried out two different apps from Cydia (cant remember what the first was called, second is called SnapTap) and neither of them work with either Camera+ or Instagram.

SuperPac

Oyashiro said:
Hey guys, I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and I'm trying to find a Cydia app that will let me use the volume rocker to take pics with Camera+ and Instagram. I've tried out two different apps from Cydia (cant remember what the first was called, second is called SnapTap) and neither of them work with either Camera+ or Instagram.

You should try asking in the jailbreak/unlock thread.

JonCha

Genesis Knight said:
Okay, cool. Now should I do White or Black? I thought White would be best because it's newer but I'm hearing weird things about the screen.

There were problems with the black just after release, but they went away. Just go with what colour you prefer.

Sofo

snack said:
What case do you guys use on your iPhone 4s?
Currently using this one from Case Mate. My sister bought it for me as a Christmas present and I like it. I'm only currently using it until I finish my degree, since I'm more active and I travel much more than I will, once I start working. Then I'll go with a pouch.

Bear in mind, this case doesn't have front-screen protection, and the hole in the back to show the Apple logo could lead to some dust or particles that could potentially scratch it (hasn't happened to me, mine's as good as new). It also comes with those plastic thins that you put on the front, mine's all bubbly though. ):

Forgot to add, the good thing about this case is that it slides perfectly in my pockets, as it's not made of rubber or whatever (it's hard but manageable).

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
snack said:
Otterbox Defender offers the most protection. It's got a felt lined hard plastic shell with a silicone cover wrapped around the entire case. It also has a clear silicone screen cover that works very well.

The draw back is that it makes the phone a bit clunky.

snack said:

4912042865_d6440785a6.jpg

Speck Candyshell.

Love the thing. Great protection without adding as much girth as the Otterbox line of cases does.

Started with the black seen above, and have since switched to a white model and now I'm on this gray color:

speck-candyshell-iphone-4-grey.jpg

Currently $26.xx on sale at Office Depot plus you buy one get one free.

Downhome

Vilix said:
Otterbox Defender offers the most protection. It's got a felt lined hard plastic shell with a silicone cover wrapped around the entire case. It also has a clear silicone screen cover that works very well.

The draw back is that it makes the phone a bit clunky.

That's the one and only case I'd ever use for my iPhone. It protects pretty much every aspect of the iPhone, including the screen, and does that without placing any sort of film over it. When you put the phone in this case, it'll pretty much stay as it was the day you bought it until you take it out. It is awesome. And it is a bit clunky, but it's not that big of a deal. I still keep it in the pocket of my jeans every day and it is never an issue at all.

Then on top of that, Otterbox is a fantastic company. They stand so behind their cases that if it gets damaged, or the rubber wrap around it stretches out, or you get scratches on the screen...whatever, if you let them know they'll either mail you the part you need for the case replaced, or they'll just send you a totally brand new case.

LCfiner

Genesis Knight said:
So just to clarify it's sounding like Iphone 5 is just a marginal upgrade over 4; like maybe not enough to wait for all summer?

no one knows. josh topulsky has a few sources that say it'll be an all new design (thinner and tapered) but other rumors have said similar to the iphone 4 but maybe a slightly larger screen.

they are almost certainly going to use the A5 chip inside and that's a pretty big performance improvement over the A4. that might be worth waiting for if you care about power.

LCfiner said:
no one knows. josh topulsky has a few sources that say it'll be an all new design (thinner and tapered) but other rumors have said similar to the iphone 4 but maybe a slightly larger screen.

they are almost certainly going to use the A5 chip inside and that's a pretty big performance improvement over the A4. that might be worth waiting for if you care about power.

Is there any idea of what the pricing point will be? As in, get an 5g with 32gb for the price of a 16gb 4g right now? I think that was how it worked in previous generations.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Downhome said:
Then on top of that, Otterbox is a fantastic company. They stand so behind their cases that if it gets damaged, or the rubber wrap around it stretches out, or you get scratches on the screen...whatever, if you let them know they'll either mail you the part you need for the case replaced, or they'll just send you a totally brand new case.
Yes, I forgot to mention this. Their customer service is outstanding. :)

SmokyDave

AbsoluteZero said:
It's not so much scratch protection as it is drop protection for me.
I've dropped it twice! The last time, I tried to catch it with my foot and ended up volleying it across the floor in McDonalds. Can't believe it survived unscathed.

Magic, I tell thee.

LCfiner

Genesis Knight said:
Is there any idea of what the pricing point will be? As in, get an 5g with 32gb for the price of a 16gb 4g right now? I think that was how it worked in previous generations.

there hasn't been any rumors about this. No one knows how they'll go for pricing v. capacity. it's all just educated guesses.

RBH

snack said:
speck_pixelskin_hd.gif

speck-pixelskin-hd-iphone-4_4.jpg

Speck Pixelskin HD.

It's been fantastic for me. Not too bulky, provides the right amount of protection, makes the phone easier to hold, button sensitivity is just right, and I think it looks good too.

RBH said:
http://bstark.pp.se/bittorrent/images/speck_pixelskin_hd.gif[img]

[img]http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/speck-pixelskin-hd-iphone-4_4.jpg[img]

Speck Pixelskin HD.

It's been fantastic for me. Not too bulky, provides the right amount of protection, makes the phone easier to hold, button sensitivity is just right, and I think it looks good too.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring for this one as well.

This is the case I walked out of the Apple store with when I picked up my phone last September, and it's a great case, with my only complaint being that it tends to make my screen protector lift up at the edges if you squeeze the sides.

Part of me is kind of tempted by the Speck SeeThru SATIN for iPhone and I'm basing that on having one for my MacBook Pro and I think Speck makes good stuff. I'm careful enough to go without a case at all, but I am frankly sick of the Bumper.

dmshaposv

I like the speck satin's feel (i have one for my macbook pro) but it is a god damn grease/finger magnet and the soft silicone wears away very easily.

I want a cover that gives solid protection, at no loss of aesthetics. None of that plastic Belkin crap.

I'm narrowing down on Incase snap smoke, Speck Pixelskin HD, and switcheasy nude.

Which of these three do you guys think offer best protection?

I've seen some cracked SE nude's (it looks too fragile), snap seems the most solid but i dislike the protruding edges.

Pixelskin looks the best both worlds, but I'm vary of the covered buttons. Are they responsive?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People who use cases like Otterbox baffle me. I'd rather chance a scratched up phone than use that ugly, bulky piece of crap.

Stalfos

Pixelskin HD here as well and I highly recommend it. Its nice and slim and makes the handling of the phone much more comfortable. The case pictured above has some slightly different buttons than mine. Perhaps its an updated version, I got mine with the free case thing Apple was doing. Don't know why they felt like they needed to update the buttons though since my case has always worked great and pressing buttons has always been easy.

caramac

l think the earlier version of the case had a teardrop shaped camera cut out, and maybe different buttons. Not sure on the latter.

mrkgoo

Carbon fibre sceams to me that it's trying too hard. It's like modern day artificial wood panelling.

I want an iPhone 4 so bad. I,m overseas at the moment, it will take all my willpower. Someone convince me.

numble

So Fortune put together a big piece on Apple's internal workings. Some interesting tidbits:

emDy0.jpg

http://www.9to5mac.com/65851/fortun...tories-that-make-the-company-tick/#more-65851

Steve Jobs hired dean of Yale School of Management Joel Podolny to run the Apple University, an internal group also featuring business professors and Harvard veterans that are writing a series of case studies to prepare employees for the life at Apple after Jobs. These case studies focus on Apple’s recent business decisions and internal culture, they are exclusive to employees and taught by top executives like Tim Cook and Ron Johnson

Lashinsky, for example, tells the story of the 2008 launch of the iPhone 3G and MobileMe, which didn’t go exactly well for Apple. MobileMe — a rebranded version of iTools and the .Mac service — promised to offer continuous web access to mail and calendars, as well as sync options for iPhones and iPod touches. The initial rollout, however, was affected by slow loading times and servers constantly down, which lead to speculation as to whether MobileMe was really ready for public release, with many questioning the premium fee Apple was asking for one-year usage of the service. In Fortune’s story, Lashinsky says Steve Jobs summoned the entire MobileMe team for a meeting at the company’s on-campus Town Hall, accusing everyone of “tarnishing Apple’s reputation.” He told the members of the team they “should hate each other for having let each other down”, and went on to name new executives on the spot to run the MobileMe team. A few excerpts from the article:

"Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?” Having received a satisfactory answer, he continues, “So why the f*** doesn’t it do that?"
Jobs was also particularly angry about the Wall Street Journal’s Walt Mossberg not liking MobileMe:

"Mossberg, our friend, is no longer writing good things about us."

Jobs imagines his garbage regularly not being emptied in his office, and when he asks the janitor why, he gets an excuse: The locks have been changed, and the janitor doesn’t have a key. This is an acceptable excuse coming from someone who empties trash bins for a living. The janitor gets to explain why something went wrong. Senior people do not. “When you’re the janitor,” Jobs has repeatedly told incoming VPs, “reasons matter.” He continues: “Somewhere between the janitor and the CEO, reasons stop mattering.” That “Rubicon,” he has said, “is crossed when you become a VP.

maruchan

I'll share mine, im using a knock off vapor bumper from ebay. ive heard rave reviews from around the net about these knock offs.. and they dont disappoint best bumper for 18 bucks... It is sturdy as hell its fallen a few times already and makes a loud clanking sound..

P1010010.jpg

LCfiner

numble said:
So Fortune put together a big piece on Apple's internal workings. Some interesting tidbits:

http://i.imgur.com/emDy0.jpg[/MG]

[url]http://www.9to5mac.com/65851/fortune-goes-behind-the-scenes-of-steve-jobs-apple-and-reveals-the-stories-that-make-the-company-tick/#more-65851[/url][/QUOTE]

love this bit:

[QUOTE]"Mossberg, our friend, is no longer writing good things about us."[/QUOTE]

says so much, lol

Xena

Not sure if you guys can help but here it goes. I just got a Verizon iphone 4, and when I connected to my iTunes, it said it had a new OS version and prompted me to download and update, which I did. However, when the download is about to finish (the bar is almost like the "processing" status when it's complete), it keeps giving me an error message that states along the lines of "cannot update to network time out" or something like that. Has this happened to anyone? Any help is appreciated!

Edit: here's what it is saying: "There was a problem downloading the software for the iphone. The network connection timed out".

ramyeon

Using an SGP Ultra Thin case here. I love how it looks, the back is a matte aluminium finish and the Apple logo is embossed and it feels really sturdy. Really form fitting and the only issue I have is that it makes it a bit more difficult to change the volume.

YpKRI.jpg

U5rDe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom