• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

iphone_cassette_case.jpeg

:p

Rlan

RBH said:
No opening for the charging port?

Fuck that shit.

Ah, I have ordered this one, but didn't get it yet.

Even without a slit, looks great. A friend of mine had the case. Can probably cut a small slit into it though without much trouble :p

Pachimari

CaramaC said:
l think the earlier version of the case had a teardrop shaped camera cut out, and maybe different buttons. Not sure on the latter.
Mine doesn't have a teardrop shape. Though it was ordered as part of Apples free case program, my sisters were recently bought.

Plasmid

So my contract ends in July, and since my dad pays for my bill he's offering to switch to Verizon, is it cheaper then AT&T? And if so, by how much? Is it even worth it to switch over? And, does verizon have the white iphone 4?

Plasmid said:
So my contract ends in July, and since my dad pays for my bill he's offering to switch to Verizon, is it cheaper then AT&T? And if so, by how much? Is it even worth it to switch over? And, does verizon have the white iphone 4?
Verizon has the white phone, but by July the iPhone 5 will probably be out, or damn close.

Silh

I actually upgraded to White yesterday. After being stuck with a dinosaur of a phone for a while now, I just couldn't wait any longer for 5. It's so glorious. ;o;

scYb8.png

Friend hooked it up with a clear casing just so I could show off the white, but it feels like it'd break as soon as I drop it. I'll look into the covers posted earlier if it comes down to that.

Pachimari

Wow this is weird, all of a sudden my PixelSkin HD has soft buttons - awesome, now it's easier to press the buttons. =)

I highly recommend the case, got one through the case program and bought one for my sister recently.

You can't go wrong with this one, I even dropped mine on cement(?) floor and not even a scratch, not even on the case and it was a hard fall.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Genesis Knight said:
But but but when the 5 comes out you'll be OUT OF DATE
Not too worried about the inevitable 5. If it is a significant enough improvement I'll buy it at retail and sell the 4 to make up more than half of the price difference (white is likely still scarce on the second-hand market). At this point, aside from the speed bump and A5, I'm expecting an improved camera. Camera is pretty important to me as I don't ever use my P&S anymore, but we'll just have to wait and see how things go.

Speaking of the camera, which photo apps do you guys use? I have Hipstamatic, Photosynth, Path and Instagram. I also have Sticki Pici and Plastic Bullet for post-picture editing.

9to5mac featured FX Photo Studio but I'm not sure if I should be taking their endorsement seriously... the app looks legit but the GAF-BRO seal of approval is the only one that counts, lol.

Magnus

Thought my replacement 4 was shipping today (LCD screen is fried on my 3gs), but I just learned it's more likely to be hit me late in the week. So bummed out.

Would it be feasible to just go buy one, then return the one eventually shipped to me back to the retailer? Or is this the most naive plan ever since receipts/transaction history will track serial numbers? Of course they will. I'm just desperate and insane and want my 4 now. :(

caramac

esquire said:
Speaking of the camera, which photo apps do you guys use? I have Hipstamatic, Photosynth, Path and Instagram. I also have Sticki Pici and Plastic Bullet for post-picture editing.

I have Instagram and QuickShot, the latter syncs with Dropbox so you can upload to your pc wherever you are, no compression either.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
AbsoluteZero said:
Yeah man, didn't you know that all iPhone 4s in existence cease to operate when the iPhone 5 has hit the market?
Sad because it's true. :(

rkn

AbsoluteZero said:
Yeah man, didn't you know that all iPhone 4s in existence cease to operate when the iPhone 5 has hit the market?
I just realized that if Apple continues with this major update -> mid cycle bump -> major update deal. I'll be perpetually stuck in the mid cycle upgrade unless I sit it out until the iPhone 5 hits. My 3GS is long in the tooth already.

rkn said:
I just realized that if Apple continues with this major update -> mid cycle bump -> major update deal. I'll be perpetually stuck in the mid cycle upgrade unless I sit it out until the iPhone 5 hits. My 3GS is long in the tooth already.

I face the same dilemma. My 3GS is cracked, the home button isn't responsive, the back is scuffed up and the lock button hasn't worked for months. It still trucks along perfectly fine, but it's time to move on.

I'm weighing up whether to sit it out for a 5, or bite the bullet and grab a 4, consigning myself to two more years of a 1 year old phone. DECISIONS.

Burger

mrkgoo said:
Hey, you never know - maybe they are hiding iPhone 5 to avoid iPhone 4 level fiasco.

I think it was Topolsky (or was it Gruber?) talking about this a while ago. The iPhone 4 made them ultra paranoid after Engadget got pics, Giz got the actual device, and the whole party was over by the time WWDC came around. Ultra paranoid. He hinted that he knew more than he was saying but wouldn't really elaborate.

JonCha

I think in the summer if the iPhone 4 is a design change I'm just going to go with the white iPhone 4 for another year. The 4 is very fast and consistent at the moment.

White looks gorgeous by the way.

jts

...hate me...
JonCha said:
I think in the summer is the iPhone 4 is a design changed I'm just going to go with the white iPhone 4 for another year. The 4 is very fast and consistent at the moment.

White looks gorgeous by the way.
I agree; the iPhone 4 is still borderline perfect for me at the moment.

Its design is still new and stunning. All glass and stainless steel. Thin and sleek. The screen is unreal and that is all it needs to be said about it. It has cameras for every purpose. Lots of processing power and RAM.

I loved the 3GS back then, but I wouldn't say this about it. It was lacking in some fields.

Of course the new one will be better, sporting a dual-core processor and stuff and people will say things like OMG but it takes 0,2 seconds less to open a PDF file -- irrelevant.

To be absolutely perfect it just needs to eliminate any residual antenna issue and get a bit more storage ;)
The rest is software.

panda21

I'm getting an iphone soon and I was wondering if it will have the same troubles my android phone has had since I moved house.

I get no reception at home and once my android phone has lost reception and goes into 'emergency calls only' mode it often won't reconnect to a network unless i switch it off and on, or manually search for networks in the connection settings. It also seems to lose the ability to connect to 3G randomly when it loses reception, and will only connect again after I switch it off and on.

Even worse is that my provider offers connection to another network, that does have reception in my house (Orange in the UK, I can use T-mobile as well), but the phone will only connect to it if I manually tell it to, and since I enabled it to connect to this other network, it causes it to constantly pop up a notification asking if i want to search for networks whenever it loses signal, which is really annoying because it never actually works if I say yes.

How does the iphone handle losing reception frequently? Is it good at reconnecting when it is back in range?

How does it handle roaming? Will it be able to connect to T-mobile automatically when I lose reception from Orange or will I have to do it manually?

SmokyDave

panda21 said:
How does the iphone handle losing reception frequently? Is it good at reconnecting when it is back in range?

How does it handle roaming? Will it be able to connect to T-mobile automatically when I lose reception from Orange or will I have to do it manually?
I dunno about the rest because I live in a city with excellent coverage, but I can tell you that my iPhone 4 switches seamlessly between Orange & T-Mobile without needing me to prod it.

rkn

jts said:
I agree; the iPhone 4 is still borderline perfect for me at the moment.

Its design is still new and stunning. All glass and stainless steel. Thin and sleek. The screen is unreal and that is all it needs to be said about it. It has cameras for every purpose. Lots of processing power and RAM.

I loved the 3GS back then, but I wouldn't say this about it. It was lacking in some fields.

Of course the new one will be better, sporting a dual-core processor and stuff and people will say things like OMG but it takes 0,2 seconds less to open a PDF file -- irrelevant.

To be absolutely perfect it just needs to eliminate any residual antenna issue and get a bit more storage ;)
The rest is software.
The thing with Apple though (as of late) is that whatever new design they come out with usually makes the previous one look ultra dated - just compare em all. Aluminum MBP -> Unibody, 3GS -> iPhone 4, etc. I'm sure whatever the redesign is, will make the iPhone 4 look like a fisher price toy, just like the 3GS looks like in comparison to the 4.

mrkgoo

rkn said:
The thing with Apple though (as of late) is that whatever new design they come out with usually makes the previous one look ultra dated - just compare em all. Aluminum MBP -> Unibody, 3GS -> iPhone 4, etc. I'm sure whatever the redesign is, will make the iPhone 4 look like a fisher price toy, just like the 3GS looks like in comparison to the 4.

This is unbelievably true. I don't know how Apple does it, pretty much every time.

Tat said, there have been a few instances where I've preferred older looking devices.

Namely, original iPhone vs 3G, original iPad vs iPad 2, and maybe even old MacBook pro vs unibody.

The new ones definitely loo more modern, though.

jts

...hate me...
rkn said:
Nah, I doubt it. The iPhone 3G/3GS design was never the bees knees, just simple and cute (still is to me). It doesn't look more advanced than the original iPhone design for example.

The thing is that the iPhone 4 already has a design boiled down to pure simplicity of raw noble materials put together in the most minimalistic fashion.

I'm sure that they can either:

-Improve the details depending on technological advances: replace the home button in favor of a smooth surface, hide the frontal camera, or somehow the earpiece behind the glass, eliminate the antena seams, enlarge the screen, etc.

-Go for an entirely different design direction, like aluminium unibody.

Either of those can make the new iPhone look NEW+BETTER!!1 but it can't retroactively make a device like the iPhone 4 look dated, just a bit less ahead of its time.

Did you know that to mass produce the iPhone 4 they had to get a shit ton of high precision low-volume machines usually reserved for prototypes? It's how insane this design is.

LCfiner

More than any other product I've ever owned, the iPhone 4 really stands out as something special. I had no problems tossing out and upgrading old iPods and iPads and iPhones but the iPhone 4 really appeals to me.

If the iPhone 5 happens to dramatically change the design and moves away from that steel band and glass, I think I'll have to keep the iPhone 4 around even if it's no longer my main phone. I don't think I could sell it.

Xamdou

Anyone here got the Iphone 4 on Verizon? If yes how much do they charge for monthly subs in terms of 1-4 Iphones in one plan?

mrkgoo

LCfiner said:
More than any other product I've ever owned, the iPhone 4 really stands out as something special. I had no problems tossing out and upgrading old iPods and iPads and iPhones but the iPhone 4 really appeals to me.

If the iPhone 5 happens to dramatically change the design and moves away from that steel band and glass, I think I'll have to keep the iPhone 4 around even if it's no longer my main phone. I don't think I could sell it.
The iPhone 4 design in particular is astounding. It's like this perfect case of industrial design.

I don't have one, and am keen to upgrade my old 3G, but should wait and see what iPhone 5 brings at this stage, or at te very least wwdc, just in case. But I have asked my self, "what would I get if they radically chain redesign?". That said, if there's any company that constantly surprises me with rogressive design, it's apple.

I'm hoping they just update the design as mentioned above. The iPhone 4 is truly remarkable.

I need a good browser that supports flash video.

I just hacked my iPhone 4 so I can download from cydia if needed.

Anyone know of a good browser

syoaran

I think I'll upgrade tomorrow to the iphone4 white. At worst, a new one will be out in July and I'll wait until the iphone6. Honestly, unless they make the new A5 dual-core chip the baseline for apps, I can't see the new iphone to interest me that much. I only want the new iphone because of the superior camera - as the 3gs keeps up with all the software fine.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good case, preferably in red? All i've seen is the gear4 case (clear background, red bumper) which looks ok.

If iOS 5 is supposedly as big as an update as it's rumored to be, I would be really interested to see what changes are made that would take advantage of the newer baseline specs. In particular, maybe what could be done with the 512MB of RAM.

mrkgoo

Mr. Wonderful said:
If iOS 5 is supposedly as big as an update as it's rumored to be, I would be really interested to see what changes are made that would take advantage of the newer baseline specs. In particular, maybe what could be done with the 512MB of RAM.

Chances are they'll just eat into the multitasking memory, so that it holds less and readily clear it to do whatever.

shwimpy

Weird bookmarks bug in Safari... So I try to bookmark a site and it won't show up in bookmarks until I bookmark another site, and that won't show up until i bookmark another... and so forth.

Not that big of deal but anyone know a fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom