• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

sruckus

Greyface said:
Er, are you asking for suggestions of useful flash websites or are you expecting us to know your browsing habits, determine which are the flash sites you visit often and figure out if there are any iOS optimized replacements?

I haven't encountered anything that required me to use Flash and that worked correctly on Android...

Gaaraz

Many thanks Lord, mind if I ask how long you were without your phone for? I'm worrying that I'll have to send it off, so say 3 days in the post, then they check it, another week? then 3 days back, argh!

Gaaraz

Bah, just been pressing the home button continuously and maybe only 1 in 20 presses didn't register :/ Sometimes it's really bad, sometimes it's fine.

Not sure what to dooooo... also just looked into when I purchased the phone, 2nd August - I'm screwed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gaaraz said:
Many thanks Lord, mind if I ask how long you were without your phone for? I'm worrying that I'll have to send it off, so say 3 days in the post, then they check it, another week? then 3 days back, argh!
You have two (well, three) options:
- Go to an apple store if you have one nearby, they'll most likely just give you a new phone on the spot when you explain the problem. Keep in mind, most home buttons that have this problem are particularly prone to it if you press them with your fingernail on a certain spot, let's say half way towards top of the button. You can use this to demonstrate the problem happening easily.

- Replace it by calling them, explaining the problem and choosing the shipping option. First option is that they send you a box in which you put the phone, and mail it back to them. This is free, and it takes about 5-10 business days for the replacement phone to come back to you once you send off the box. If you do this, try to send it early Monday, so maybe you'll get new phone by Friday. I'd also put a note inside explaining how to easily replicate the problem with the fingernail press. Second shipping option is that they charge you $30, and send you a replacement phone in the box. Then when you get the replacement phone, you put your damaged phone in the box and mail back to them.

Gaaraz said:
Bah, just been pressing the home button continuously and maybe only 1 in 20 presses didn't register :/ Sometimes it's really bad, sometimes it's fine.
The problem happens most often after the phone has been left alone for an hour or so. Once you get it to work, it kind of breaks in, and keeps working until it's left alone for a while.

Not sure what to dooooo... also just looked into when I purchased the phone, 2nd August - I'm screwed.
You're not. If you call them right now, this will be the day when the problem is evidenced, and since it hasn't been a full year yet, you're covered by warranty.

Gaaraz

You're a start, thank you so much! The fingernail thing is perfect and barely a single time of pressing it that it works - need to find the original box now and get this replaced! :/

Tempted to go to the apple store tomorrow and get it sorted, but pretty sure the box and paperwork for when I got the phone are at my parents house, agh! A visit needed this weekend I think :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You don't need an original box, don't worry about that. You don't even need a receipt, all you need is to give them the serial number, and they can see it on the phone itself if you bring it to them in person.

Gaaraz

You're a star, thank you! I called earlier and got everything booked in (good shout btw, they give you an extra 30 days to sort it, even after my warranty is out) so Tuesday night I'm driving over to the store and fingers crossed will get a replacement.

/tries to 100% nail the fingernail technique

Sipowicz

Banned
Talon- said:
Your apps are tied to your iTunes account. You can download the purchased ones again. They should also already be on your computer under Apps.

You can reset your iPod from within settings as well without connecting it to iTunes.

hi talon

do you reccomend deactiving my ipod on itunes as well or does this not matter?

Talon

Sipowicz said:
hi talon

do you reccomend deactiving my ipod on itunes as well or does this not matter?
I'm on my 5th replacement iPhone, and I've never bothered deactivating it. I just do the full reset under settings.

I don't know why the hell I'm wasting my time with a Marty Chinn post, but others here might find this interesting:

Marty Chinn said:
But Android is crushing iOS in the phone market at least. I would never attribute that because Android has flash while iOS doesn't though, but let's not ignore that Android is doing better than iOS in the phone market now.

Yeah. CRUSHING.

20110729-b4f87kbeg1gg6akx3p456y1u74.jpg

Apple is now making more profit on iPhone, even with their newest model over a year old, than every Android phone sold by all the other companies in the industry, COMBINED.

Apple and iPhone are now the proud earners of 66.3% of all smartphone profits.

66.3%. Just let that roll around in your head a bit while you delude yourself into thinking "Android is crushing iOS in the phone market."

Marty Chinn said:
Also, according to recent sales, surprisingly, Android tablets have taken a bigger chunk of marketshare than I would have expected. There was some report that in the last quarter Android tablets were making up 30% of sales with the iPad 2 at 60%. Pretty significant jump for Android tablets IMO even if iPad is still outselling it.

That was Maynard Um's report for UBS. The actual number was 63% iOS to 28% Android to 2% RIM, but that number was arrived via retailer stocking info. He clearly cautioned against your kind of overreaction by saying "channel sell-in and sell-through appear likely to be two different stories for the majority of vendors not named Apple," and "At all retail channels we checked, [Apple's iPad 2] was by far the most popular tablet being asked about, tested, and bought by consumers."

Also, as the above iPhone numbers show, in this new mobile device market, marketshare doesn't mean squat when it comes to actually making money.

Plasmid

Argh.

Let's say i wait until september for the iphone announcement.

I have no contract at the moment, and i can upgrade any time, on day of release can i just pop in, get a 5 via upgrade for x amount of dollars (lets say 299.99) and be done with it?

Not to mention it seems like people forget. iPhone is made by one manufacturer. They should NEVER have full market share. When every other company is using one or two OS's they should be able to dwarf Apple cumulatively. Otherwise they are doing something very wrong.

numble

Marty Chinn said:
Also, according to recent sales, surprisingly, Android tablets have taken a bigger chunk of marketshare than I would have expected. There was some report that in the last quarter Android tablets were making up 30% of sales with the iPad 2 at 60%. Pretty significant jump for Android tablets IMO even if iPad is still outselling it.
Read your reports. It wasn't sales.

gohepcat

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
I don't know why the hell I'm wasting my time with a Marty Chinn post, but others here might find this interesting:

Yeah. CRUSHING.

Apple is now making more profit on iPhone, even with their newest model over a year old, than every Android phone sold by all the other companies in the industry, COMBINED.

66.3%. Just let that roll around in your head a bit while you delude yourself into thinking "Android is crushing iOS in the phone market."

That was Maynard Um's report for UBS. The actual number was 63% iOS to 28% Android to 2% RIM, but that number was arrived via retailer stocking info. He clearly cautioned against your kind of overreaction by saying "channel sell-in and sell-through appear likely to be two different stories for the majority of vendors not named Apple," and "At all retail channels we checked, [Apple's iPad 2] was by far the most popular tablet being asked about, tested, and bought by consumers."

Also, as the above iPhone numbers show, in this new mobile device market, marketshare doesn't mean squat when it comes to actually making money.

Well.. Yea Apple is making amazing money.

I'm still really surprised that Android outsells it though. I was shocked when Android overtook them. They seemed pretty far behind on quality at that point.

gohepcat said:
Well.. Yea Apple is making amazing money.

I'm still really surprised that Android outsells it though. I was shocked when Android overtook them. They seemed pretty far behind on quality at that point.

Again. ONe manufacturer makes iPhones. The rest make android or another OS. With so many many carriers offering android made by so many companies it's surprising people think it matters. The day samsung or someone else is making more or selling more than apple that matters. Or how about the day one phone can go toe to toe with the one iPhone. None even come close.

The fact that the collective of so many android phones can outsells the 4 iPhones ever made is not astounding at all.

kehs

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:

Yeah. CRUSHING.

Honest question, do you have monetary investments in Apple?

kinggroin

Banned
HenryGale said:
Again. ONe manufacturer makes iPhones. The rest make android or another OS. With so many many carriers offering android made by so many companies it's surprising people think it matters. The day samsung or someone else is making more or selling more than apple that matters. Or how about the day one phone can go toe to toe with the one iPhone. None even come close.

The fact that the collective of so many android phones can outsells the 4 iPhones ever made is not astounding at all.

Maybe not as much as some make it out to be, but here's the thing.

People go into a store with $200 to spend, they still have to choose whether they get an android phone or an iphone. If they choose apple, there's a safe bet it'll be an iphone 4. If android....well, shit.

If there were ten more iterations of iphone at the same price but just varying on things like screen size, keyboards, storage etc. Do you think the iphone 4 model we have today would have the same numbers it does?

Of course, if there WERE ten iterations more, I don't think Google would be having as great a time in the mobile market as they do.

numble

kinggroin said:

People go into a store with $200 to spend, they still have to choose whether they get an android phone or an iphone. If they choose apple, there's a safe bet it'll be an iphone 4. If android....well, shit.

If there were ten more iterations of iphone at the same price but just varying on things like screen size, keyboards, storage etc. Do you think the iphone 4 model we have today would have the same numbers it does?

Of course, if there WERE ten iterations more, I don't think Google would be having as great a time in the mobile market as they do.
I don't think people say they want an Android and then choose between devices. They go into the store and just compare the iPhone to a Curve to an Evo to a Nexus to a Focus.

Sean said:
Not really a fair comparison since AT&T also has the iPhone 3GS for $49 which is probably selling huge (I see tons of ads for it).
Yeah, the 3GS remains in the top 5 phones sold in the US (incredible, since it's over 2 years old). We can't really compare AT&T to Verizon until they have the same devices to sell.

The bigger point of the Asymco article is that the expansion in the rest of the world should be the big story. The US market isn't where a company's fortunes should count on.

kinggroin said:

I think that Apple has a lot of trouble making enough of them to meet demand. If they could make and get the parts to make more they would. Selling day one across the globe and on all carriers would open up way more markets. MAny people don't get iPhones simply because during the time it's first out it's hard to get and in america it's only on two of the carriers.

Up until winter it wasn't even on verizon, and it's doing great on VZ considering it's not a new device. Still even then. You have so many competitors. How couldn't the collective of those using android not outnumber apple. Especially when they are hitting even the feature phone market with super cheap android phones.

Android doing huge numbers doesn't mean even half of those are actually being utilized as smartphones in the nature one would think, which is proven by the android app store numbers. Hell I know people whom have android phones and didn't even know it. They got a free phone when they upgraded.

kinggroin

Banned
numble said:
I don't think people say they want an Android and then choose between devices. They go into the store and just compare the iPhone to a Curve to an Evo to a Nexus to a Focus.

How can we even possibly argue on that? Your anecdotes vs mine? The point still stands.

For the record, I think if we only look at the $200 and higher price range of phones on the carriers that Do have iPhones, we'd probably see apple ahead of the green robot.

Just thought I'd bring that up in case someone tries to take the point off track with the above.

Edit: as the dude above just did

HenryGale said:
I think that Apple has a lot of trouble making enough of them to meet demand. If they could make and get the parts to make more they would. Selling day one across the globe and on all carriers would open up way more markets. MAny people don't get iPhones simply because during the time it's first out it's hard to get and in america it's only on two of the carriers.

Up until winter it wasn't even on verizon, and it's doing great on VZ considering it's not a new device. Still even then. You have so many competitors. How couldn't the collective of those using android not outnumber apple. Especially when they are hitting even the feature phone market with super cheap android phones.

Android doing huge numbers doesn't mean even half of those are actually being utilized as smartphones in the nature one would think, which is proven by the android app store numbers. Hell I know people whom have android phones and didn't even know it. They got a free phone when they upgraded.

Please read again. You have gone so far off on a tangent that you are now arguing with no one.

Copernicus said:
Honest question, do you have monetary investments in Apple?
Honest question, how young were you when Steve Jobs touched you in a bad place? Seeing as how you drop by every single Apple thread to start shit up?

Now on topic, Apple's share of profits are mind-numbing. Didn't they have like 40% only a few months ago? And now it's up to 60%? This tells me the other manufacturers are sacrificing profit for market share, which doesn't sound like a good long-term plan at this point.

kinggroin said:
How can we even possibly argue on that? Your anecdotes vs mine? The point still stands.

For the record, I think if we only look at the $200 and higher price range of phones on the carriers that Do have iPhones, we'd probably see apple ahead of the green robot.

Just thought I'd bring that up in case someone tries to take the point off track with the above.

Edit: as the dude above just did

Please read again. You have gone so far off on a tangent that you are now arguing with no one.

I'm not arguing. Seriously, I wasn't. I was simply making an observation.

I see these articles all the time and it's just something that people never seem to point out.

The fact that Android outsells iPhone in volume is a silly measurement. That I don't believe for the reasons I mentioned make it a non applicable comparisons. Compare the sales of any singular android phone versus the iPhone and then see what the data shows.

Seriously. No argument, just adding to a discussion and pointing out flaws in these types of analysis that never seem to come up.

kehs

Banned
ridley182 said:
Honest question, how young were you when Steve Jobs touched you in a bad place? Seeing as how you drop by every single Apple thread to start shit up?

Way to be touchy about something that's not even remotely directed at you.

fuck?

kinggroin

Banned
ridley182 said:
Honest question, how young were you when Steve Jobs touched you in a bad place?

Now on topic, Apple's share of profits are mind-numbing. Didn't they have like 40% only a few months ago? And now it's up to 60%? This tells me the other manufacturers are sacrificing profit for market share, which doesn't sound like a good plan at this point.

Considering these manufacturers are so desperate to stay cutting edge with hardware as a differentiator in the android market, and then fighting against a thousand other handsets, it's no wonder overall profits are tiny.

I bet you the evo is the highest profiting handset htc has ever made. Hell, to this day, people are still choosing it over slimmer, faster devices on the same carrier. That thing is slow as hell, but perception and marketing tell the potential buyers otherwise. Can't begin to tell you how often I nerd out and argue with co workers who think their evos are faster than iPhones.

Compare the sales of any singular android phone versus the iPhone and then see what the data shows.

I've already pointed why that's a flawed comparison as well though. The fairest compare would be all iPhones at $200 versus all $200 android handsets on the same carrier of course.

Copernicus said:
Way to be touchy about something that's not even remotely directed at you.

fuck?

OK. It was directed at me...

So why did you direct that question at me, Copernicus?

If I did have shares in Apple, would that make my use of genuine financial news backed with real numbers any less valid? Because that's all I did. I posted a graphic from a news story about real financial numbers.

And how is what you did not a lame alt version of the banned "U Mad" meme?

Pristine_Condition said:

Yeah. CRUSHING.

Where did I say anything about profits? I'm talking about installed base. Are you trying to tell me that Android hasn't surged passed Apple in the number of activations everyday? That Android hasn't overtaken the iPhone in userbase? Way to take something irrelevent to the argument and the point stands unless you can show me there are more iPhones out there than Android phones. Or you can show me that the iPhone is growing faster than Android at this point in time because neither are true.

The article I read didn't mention anything about sell-in for the figures. I thought it was high. Still though, it's very unlikely that huge stocks of tablets are just sitting and collecting dust so while the figure may be lower, and it's probably what I would expect, it's certainly higher than anyone would have guessed over such a short period of time.

We all know that Apple makes a ton of money but let's not somehow pretend that installed base is irrelevent.

kehs

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:

If I did have shares in Apple, would that make my use of genuine financial news backed with real numbers any less valid? Because that's all I did. I posted a graphic from a news story about real financial numbers.

I asked you because I always see you posting financial information about Apple. I was curious if it was because you are involved financially. Especially since it was in response to a comment that had little to do with profits.

I prefaced it with "honest question" for a reason. I was genuinely curious. It really wasn't mean to be anything more than just a simple question.

kinggroin

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
OK. It was directed at me...

He's just questioning your passion for the company I imagine. I can see how being invested in them financially, could bring someone to point out positive company news as often as one would.

I think you're raising your eyebrows for the wrong reasons. Your news and facts are sound, and really can't be argued with. At worst, he might be calling you a fanboy.

Edit: sorry cop. Didn't mean to speak for you.

Marty Chinn said:
Where did I say anything about profits? I'm talking about installed base. Are you trying to tell me that Android hasn't surged passed Apple in the number of activations everyday? That Android hasn't overtaken the iPhone in userbase? Way to take something irrelevent to the argument and the point stands unless you can show me there are more iPhones out there than Android phones. Or you can show me that the iPhone is growing faster than Android at this point in time because neither are true.

Only in "Marty Chinn World" are profits "irrelevant" in determining whether a product is successful against another product.

LOL.

A comedy writer couldn't write shit this ridiculous.

Plasmid said:
Argh.

Let's say i wait until september for the iphone announcement.

I have no contract at the moment, and i can upgrade any time, on day of release can i just pop in, get a 5 via upgrade for x amount of dollars (lets say 299.99) and be done with it?

I am in the same situation and would also like to know the answer to this.

kinggroin said:
I think you're raising your eyebrows for the wrong reasons. Your news and facts are sound, and really can't be argued with. At worst, he might be calling you a fanboy.

Oh, so he might be calling me a fanboy...for posting "news and facts" that "are sound and really can't be argued with."

Gotcha.

Now who's supposed to be the fanboy again? I'm confused.

kehs

Banned
kinggroin said:
He's just questioning your passion for the company I imagine. I can see how being invested in them financially, could bring someone to point out positive company news as often as one would.

Edit: sorry cop. Didn't mean to speak for you.

You're on point with the interpretation, it's cool.

Besides the only people I make insinuations about are employees of Apple, like Tobor.

numble

Marty Chinn said:

The article I read didn't mention anything about sell-in for the figures. I thought it was high. Still though, it's very unlikely that huge stocks of tablets are just sitting and collecting dust so while the figure may be lower, and it's probably what I would expect, it's certainly higher than anyone would have guessed over such a short period of time.

We all know that Apple makes a ton of money but let's not somehow pretend that installed base is irrelevent.
What is the install base relevant towards? It certainly seems to have little effect on usage of the Android Market. There are millions of KIRFy phones (many with Apple logos on them) with Android in China, but they can't even buy stuff on the Android Market or use most Google Services.

kehs

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
So you agree that you were calling me a fanboy for posting news and facts that are sound and can't be argued with?

Fantastic.

Of all the things written between those two posts, that's what you end up focusing on?

Awesome.

kinggroin

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Oh, so he might be calling me a fanboy...for posting "news and facts" that "are sound and really can't be argued with."

Gotcha.

Now who's supposed to be the fanboy again? I'm confused.

I'm lost here.

Are you virtually raising your voice at me for giving an interpretation of the situation? If so, meet me somewhere.

Copernicus said:
Of all the things written between those two posts, that's what you end up focusing on?

Awesome.

Yeah. I'm focussing on it, because you did it in reference to me. If you don't want my personal attention, don't make it personal.

Kinggroin: I'm not raising any virtual voice at anybody. I'm just emphasizing the silliness of Copernicus' trollish implication. I'm happy to leave you out of it.

EDIT: And what does "meet me somewhere" mean. Are you such a white night for Copernicus that you want to fight me or something? LOL.

dream

Coperdickus is just mad because he doesn't have an iPhone. So he doesn't have a Retina display, the highest resolution screen on any phone. So movies aren't this dramatic, maps aren't this clear, e-mails aren't this detailed, and memories aren't this memorable. He also doesn't have the App Store. So he doesn't have the world's largest collection of apps that are this easy to find and this easy to download right to his phone. So it can be almost anything: like a boarding pass. Or do almost anything - like pay for his coffee. Nor does he have FaceTime on his phone, which makes it this easy to talk face to face with another iPhone. This easy to talk with a Mac. And this easy to talk with an iPad.

Poor Coperdickus who doesn't have an iPhone.

kehs

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. I'm focussing on it, because you did it. If you don't want my personal attention, don't make it personal.

Kinggroin: I'm not raising any virtual voice at anybody. I'm just emphasizing the silliness of Copernicus' trollish implication.

Amazing that you didn't get worked up over an innocuous question until ridley injected himself into the conversation.

Once again, it was an honest question.

dream, stop exposing me!

kinggroin

Banned
dream said:
Coperdickus is just mad because he doesn't have an iPhone. So he doesn't have a Retina display, the highest resolution screen on any phone. So movies aren't this dramatic, maps aren't this clear, e-mails aren't this detailed, and memories aren't this memorable. He also doesn't have the App Store. So he doesn't have the world's largest collection of apps that are this easy to find and this easy to download right to his phone. So it can be almost anything: like a boarding pass. Or do almost anything - like pay for his coffee. Nor does he have FaceTime on his phone, which makes it this easy to talk face to face with another iPhone. This easy to talk with a Mac. And this easy to talk with an iPad.

Poor Coperdickus who doesn't have an iPhone.

Ha, is that the at&t made commercial or the apple one? They both suck, but now it's bothering me and I need to know.

Pristine_Condition said:
Only in "Marty Chinn World" are profits "irrelevant" in determining whether a product is successful against another product.

LOL.

A comedy writer couldn't write shit this ridiculous.

Did you even follow the conversation to what I was responding to? Profits have nothing to do with that statement.

Let me give you the quick run down since you're unable to follow the conversation.

Someone said that if flash was so important, Android would be crushing the iPhone.

I responded with they are. That IN CONTEXT is clearly a pure installed base discussion. What does profits have to do with that line of conversation?

And since you can't read, I also followed up that I don't believe flash is the reason that Android has a larger user base.

Comprehension. Learn it.

dream

Marty Chinn said:
Someone said that if flash was so important, Android would be crushing the iPhone.

I responded with they are. That IN CONTEXT is clearly a pure installed base discussion. What does profits have to do with that line of conversation?

39% vs 28%. Crushing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom