• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kalos League has finally begun

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

Episode 32 of Pokemon XY&Z has our protagonist finally entering the Kalos League after three weeks of fillers and a break. Notable differences from past leagues this time around:

-Ash is going in with only 5 pokemon. We'll likely see his secret 6th pokemon in the final or semi-final match.
-The pacing is much faster. In one episode, Ash and company went from pre-reg to the first league match with two battles between, skipping the typical exposition of the venue or the league itself and shortening the pre-league setup to a mere few minutes
-64 contestants entered the Kalos League this episode, the preview appears to be much further along into the League already, meaning the majority of the contestants have been culled and all that are left are the 'big' matches between named characters
-The mega-evolution specials side series that aired alongside Pokemon XY are now tying in even more to the main storyline as it ramps up for whatever shenanigans team Flare has in store for the region/world. Besides Alan, another character from the side series (Astrid) is set to appear next episode. This implies that the League is not the final arc for the anime as it was in previous seasons.

All this is to say the possibility of Ash finally winning a proper League is in the cards. His portrayal this time around is exponentially more confident than any of his past incarnations, far beyond Indigo league. It helps that he has possibly the most Shounen Pokemon ever created, his Greninja, and that he has, as of Episode 28, mastered the special form that is unique to it. It would be kind of silly if he is supposed to face off against Team Flare and loses to their poster boy (Alan). As a longtime (and twice relapsed) fan of the anime, I have a lot of investment in seeing this guy finally win a league. Fans old and new will be paying close attention to the next few episodes.

FStubbs

Episode 32 of Pokemon XY&Z has our protagonist finally entering the Kalos League after three weeks of fillers and a break. Notable differences from past leagues this time around:

-Ash is going in with only 5 pokemon. We'll likely see his secret 6th pokemon in the final or semi-final match.
-The pacing is much faster. In one episode, Ash and company went from pre-reg to the first league match with two battles between, skipping the typical exposition of the venue or the league itself and shortening the pre-league setup to a mere few minutes
-64 contestants entered the Kalos League this episode, the preview appears to be much further along into the League already, meaning the majority of the contestants have been culled and all that are left are the 'big' matches between named characters
-The mega-evolution specials side series that aired alongside Pokemon XY are now tying in even more to the main storyline as it ramps up for whatever shenanigans team Flare has in store for the region/world. Besides Alan, another character from the side series (Astrid) is set to appear next episode. This implies that the League is not the final arc for the anime as it was in previous seasons.

All this is to say the possibility of Ash finally winning a proper League is in the cards. His portrayal this time around is exponentially more confident than any of his past incarnations, far beyond Indigo league. It helps that he has possibly the most Shounen Pokemon ever created, his Greninja, and that he has, as of Episode 28, mastered the special form that is unique to it. It would be kind of silly if he is supposed to face off against Team Flare and loses to their poster boy (Alan). As a longtime (and twice relapsed) fan of the anime, I have a lot of investment in seeing this guy finally win a league. Fans old and new will be paying close attention to the next few episodes.

And then let's see if Serena goes with him to Aloha - since her entire reason for traveling is to be with Ash.

last time he finished in the top 4 right? he should lose to Allen in a 6 v 6 battle then of to Alola saying goodbye to Bonnie, Cilan & bring Serena with him

and Misty returns please

Don't do this to yourself. Sinnoh having legendary fucking Tobias should have been hint enough Ash will never win a league.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
157768c2_reggie-miller-choke-o.gif

6th pokemon is almost certainly
Goodra returning. We got a listing for the old swamp guy appearing next episode I believe, which is obviously so that Ash can get Goodra back in time for the full battle vs Shota

How short is this season if he reached the leagued in 32 eps?!

XY and Z is an extension of the XY series.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
He'll get top 8 and you'll spend 4 years waiting for the next league.

Ash gonna win a league without Charizard, Zard still needs to redeem himself for that bullshit he pulled in the Indigo League.

WPS

How the fuck isn't he the very best that there ever was yet?

Hey, being the very best takes more then just one year.

Anyway, place your bets:

• Loses to Tobias
  • Loses to Alan and Mega Charizard X
  • Loses to Trip and Mega Sceptile
  • Loses to Tobias and Mega Latios
  • Synchro goes wrong, disqualified due to heart attack or something
  • Loses to some random new guy with their own Synchro
  • Loses to Tobias with his own Synchro
  • Loses to some random new guy with a 7th gen pokémon
  • Loses to Tobias with Magearna
  • Loses to Bonnie, who somehow entered with Zygarde 100%
  • Loses to Tobias, who somehow entered with Zygarde 100%
  • Actually wins, God reveals the Universe won't be renewed for another season
  • Loses to Tobias, with all of the above.

vypek

Are these the Japanese episodes that are already there? I was trying to watch XYZ but stopped watching for weeks. I kind of tune in randomly to see what is going on.

Hey, being the very best takes more then just one year.

Anyway, place your bets:

• Loses to Tobias
  • Loses to Alan and Mega Charizard X
  • Loses to Trip and Mega Sceptile
  • Loses to Tobias and Mega Latios
  • Synchro goes wrong, disqualified due to heart attack or something
  • Loses to some random new guy with their own Synchro
  • Loses to Tobias with his own Synchro
  • Loses to some random new guy with a 7th gen pokémon
  • Loses to Tobias with Magearna
  • Loses to Bonnie, who somehow entered with Zygarde 100%
  • Loses to Tobias, who somehow entered with Zygarde 100%
  • Actually wins, God reveals the Universe won't be renewed for another season
  • Loses to Tobias, with all of the above.

Only person Ash can lose to are Alain and Shota, since an episode title reveals Ash fights Shota in the semis. And given the same place the title was revealed also hyped up an Ash Alain rematch, it's very likely Ash will reach the finals vs Alain

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So are they finally going to dedicate more episodes to the league again? Haven't been closely following it, but the trend seemed to be that they became shorter over time.

So are they finally going to dedicate more episodes to the league again? Haven't been closely following it, but the trend seemed to be that they became shorter over time.

Probably going to be 6-7 episodes total this time. Seems like most of the league will be the Shota (Sawyer for dub watchers) and Alain battles

Nightbird

Lol @ ptredicting him to get only top 8

Based on what we know so far
(he will reach the finals and has a good shot at winning even)

After the loss at Sinnoh, I don't know how anyone can still hope or expect to see Ash win a regional Pokemon League. That was the moment for him to win the league, but what do I know. I quit after that garbage and I was already losing interest after he deliberately chose to stick with his regional team for the Hoenn League.

But sure, I'll keep an eye out for how he makes yet another embarrassing exit. Can't be worse than supporting Liverpool for over 20 years though. (but at least we won the Champions League)

Best wishes.

Volotaire

I dropped off at Black and White but caught a few XY episodes. They seemed much more interesting. I might have to catch up with the series after hearing all the relatively good points about the XY series.

After the loss at Sinnoh, I don't know how anyone can still hope or expect to see Ash win a regional Pokemon League. That was the moment for him to win the league, but what do I know. I quit after that garbage and I was already losing interest after he deliberately chose to stick with his regional team for the Hoenn League.

But sure, I'll keep an eye out for how he makes yet another embarrassing exit. Can't be worse than supporting Liverpool for over 20 years though. (but at least we won the Champions League)

Best wishes.
Normally I'd agree, but this time he's pretty much known to be facing off against a major rival in the finals who he's never beaten before (which is a pretty good sign he'll beat him in the leagues). Granted, it's possible Alain will beat Ash in the league, but then Ash will beat him during the team flare finale, or that the finals will be interrupted by Team Flare's plans, but for once Victory is within reach

Ash is pretty much already confirmed to be getting a finals face off with Alain. A Tobias situation is literally impossible this time

Until Alain pulls a pseudo-legend from Alola out of his ass. I'm not pouring a single ounce of faith into this after the bullshit they pulled in Sinnoh.

EDIT: Hell, they may even have the match get interrupted by Team Flare.

That's what we thought about him and Gary back in Kanto.

I'm sorry but I can't trust Pokémon's hack writers.

We know for a fact he faces one of his two big rivals, Shota in the semi finals this time (and very quickly, since that match starts the third episode of the league). Alain fight is also being hyped in the same preview, which heavily implies they'll fight in the finals (especially if as it mentions Alain's other pokemon besides Mega Charizard X. If it was just for the Flare finale, I don't think they'd bother giving him other Pokemon or even entering the league at all)

Until Alain pulls a pseudo-legend from Alola out of his ass. I'm not pouring a single ounce of faith into this after the bullshit they pulled in Sinnoh.

Alain isn't going to have a Pokemon stronger than his Mega Charizard. If Ash loses that match, it'll be Ash-Greninja losing to Mega Charizard as the last Pokemon of each.

Isn't Ash supposed to battle with Diantha to win the League?

I stopped watching the anime midway of Johto so I don't really remember how the league shenanigans work.

Isn't Ash supposed to battle with Diantha to win the League?

I stopped watching the anime midway of Johto so I don't really remember how the league shenanigans work.

Winning the league grants the ability to challenge the elite 4 and champion in the anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom