• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The largest vocabularies in HipHop | Spoilers: your favorite rapper is mid-tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where the fuck is Pun? Big L?
Pun should be at or near the top easily.

I'm like the beast with a warrant, far from a law man"
Gave you fair warning, now you on the stairs falling"

Aesop Rock has a lot of really neat phrases in his songs, but he doesn't really have any kind of sense for how to build any kind of intellectual or emotional narrative to give them some kind of a structure to hang on.

Dude is straight up corny. Bronson and GZA win this.

Kimosabae

Banned
Aesop Rock established himself as a competent storyteller early in his career with 'Lucy'. Linear, structural integrity is just not where he chooses to level his inclination and I always find it frustrating that people would criticize an artist for not focusing on established elements of the genre just to suit them.

aesop is one of my favorite mc's so im not mad.

EDIT : the aesop hates funny because he's definitely smart, witty, and talented enough to embarrass a sizable portion of the rappers on that list if they went head to head in a rap battle. if he's not your style that fine, but people trying to say he's no good have no fucking taste or never listened to his work.

Ive heard like two Aesop songs I can fuck with (Gopher Guts being the standout), the rest of what Ive heard has been gibberish with production that ranges from serviceable to very good. To be fair, other wordsmiths are guilty of verbosity over musicality (RZA's spent his whole fucking career rhyming out of pocket and I cant stand his rapping for that reason), but Aesop is the worst offender by a long shot. Sometimes when I hear him it feels like Im listening to an internet blogger on acid. I understand thats what some people want (and maybe being on drugs unlocks a higher level of understanding of Aesop's shit) but I dont and it annoys me when people list that dude as an example of lyrical sophistication in the rap genre. There's so much better out there and from people who actually flow to a beat.

[EDIT : the aesop hates funny because he's definitely smart, witty, and talented enough to embarrass a sizable portion of the rappers on that list if they went head to head in a rap battle. if he's not your style that fine, but people trying to say he's no good have no fucking taste or never listened to his work.
Sorry, he's just an above average rapper to me. He's outstanding at one element of MCing (words), but he's not charismatic and his rapping technique is sloppy.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Knew Del would be right up there.
And lol at that Busta face in the updated one.

Mesoian

I'm always surprised how people get so defensive when lyrical uniqueness comes into discussion with rappers. The last 5 times I've discussed this with people, people usually call people who try to use an expanded vocabulary out as being corny or tryhard.

Does larger vocabulary = better?

Not always, but I struggle to see how its, by default, some sort of negative.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
What does this really mean at the end of the day? In the grand scheme of things as far as lyricism, sonically, and content? Nothing much.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Haha my man Canibus up there!

What does this really mean at the end of the day? In the grand scheme of things as far as lyricism, sonically, and content? Nothing much.

Right.

Ghostface is one of my faves and he is high up on the list but there are songs in which he says a lot of things but it's all gibberish. Listen to Apollo Kids off of Supreme Clientele as a prime example. Whatever, it flows, so I like it.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. And to think, J. Cole went to "college"! My ass.

Going to college rarely translates to "sizeable increase in vocabulary". Likewise NOT going to college doesn't necessarily translate to "smaller vocabulary." If anything, matching these artists by who reads the most would match up much better than going by their educational achievements. A good 2/3 of the artists on this list have never gone to college some not even finishing high school.

I mean GZA barely finished Highschool, but GZA on many interviews has stated how much he loves reading and use to read while on the road during Wu-Tang tours.

breakfuss

Going to college rarely translates to "sizeable increase in vocabulary". Likewise NOT going to college doesn't necessarily translate to "smaller vocabulary." If anything, matching these artists by who reads the most would match up much better than going by their educational achievements. A good 2/3 of the artists on this list have never gone to college some not even finishing high school.

I mean GZA barely finished Highschool, but GZA on many interviews has stated how much he loves reading and use to read while on the road during Wu-Tang tours.

Poor attempt at sarcasm on my part. I agree with you with though.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Am I blind or is Biggie missing?

Read the link.

Literary elites love to rep Shakespeare’s vocabulary: across his entire corpus, he uses 28,829 words, suggesting he knew over 100,000 words and arguably had the largest vocabulary, ever.

I decided to compare this data point against the most famous artists in hip hop. I used each artist’s first 35,000 lyrics. That way, prolific artists, such as Jay-Z, could be compared to newer artists, such as Drake.

35,000 words covers 3-5 studio albums and EPs. I included mixtapes if the artist was just short of the 35,000 words. Quite a few rappers don’t have enough official material to be included (e.g., Biggie, Kendrick Lamar). As a benchmark, I included data points for Shakespeare and Herman Melville, using the same approach (35,000 words across several plays for Shakespeare, first 35,000 of Moby Dick).

OnPoint

Del maybe fell off but I'm not surprised to see him toward the top. His verbal variety was one of the things I liked best about his work.

JZA

Glad to see GZA so far to the right. Where is Immortal Technique or Zach de La Rocha in this graphic?

Kimosabae

Banned
Oh, hey. Is this the thread where I get to dismiss lyrics I don't understand as "gibberish" to salvage my fragile ego and double down on my arbitrary standards for quality art?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I think an interesting follow-up analysis in the same veins as this should compare rappers to musicians/lyricists in other genres and/or make some averages and compare genres themselves. I think you'd find pop and country woefully below DMX, but at the same time, metal could probably give a lot of the rappers on this list a run for their money, especially particularly wordy bands like Cannibal Corpse.

NastyBook

2fJ5Mcw.png
ydhVMqh.png
DcovvPp.png
Are you taking requests?

You goddamn right I dont understand Aesop's shit. His music isnt compelling enough for me to want to try to understand the intricacies of it, assuming there is an internal logic and cohesion to even half of what he spits. But that aint even the point. I dont understand half of what Ghost spits, but that dude is entertaining as fuck as a rap artist. Dude's charisma and mic presence are off the hook. He's also extremely vivid and coherent as a storyteller when he wants to be.

The whole "Shakespeare knew so many different words!" shit was debunked quite handily by Steven Pinker. He certainly had a large vocabulary, probably a fair bit larger than even most today (and definitely in his own time), but the reality is that even the dumb among us know more words than they realize.

Skillful writing is about deploying words well, not necessarily how many words you use. Notorious B.I.G. was a good rapper because he was a solid storyteller, had a rhythm that was smooth and natural-sounding even when he was doing more technical spitting, and had dope as fuck beats. Vocabulary size doesn't even really come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom