• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The largest vocabularies in HipHop | Spoilers: your favorite rapper is mid-tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://rappers.mdaniels.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

(Hit the link for an interactive version!)

GvtBz0k.png

EDIT: Updated version:

Literary elites love to rep Shakespeare’s vocabulary: across his entire corpus, he uses 28,829 words, suggesting he knew over 100,000 words and arguably had the largest vocabulary, ever.

I decided to compare this data point against the most famous artists in hip hop. I used each artist’s first 35,000 lyrics. That way, prolific artists, such as Jay-Z, could be compared to newer artists, such as Drake.

Dope.

GZA, an actual genius being near the top of the list is no accident.

loldmx and loldrake.

Update: http://mfdaniels.tumblr.com/post/93313634355/updated-rappers-sorted-by-size-of-vocabulary-20

A lot has happened since the first version released in May. I highly recommend reading this analysis from Pigeons and Planes, which thoughtfully breaks-down what rap fans should take from a project like this:

The most common captions accompanying this article on social media were along the lines of, “I knew there was a reason I liked Wu-Tang,” or, “This proves how much better Aesop Rock is than all the mainstream crap.” Comments like these show that many people associate the amount of words a rapper uses with the breadth of his (or her) artistic expression—at least when they stop to think about it…

…Daniels’ insightful analysis shows that rappers can swing with heavyweights like Shakespeare when it comes to word choice, and highlights which rappers the word-obsessed among us (myself included) might gravitate towards. But the comments I’ve seen on social media disparaging or praising rappers for their place in the hierarchy of word usage seem to miss something. Rap can be poetic, but it’s not poetry. It’s music, a performed art, and as such its vocabulary cannot be described simply by words.

In short, take all of this shit with a grain of salt. Think of this as a data-point that sparks interesting discussion about hip hop and word-usage, and absolutely not a conclusive argument for rapper x is better than rapper y.

In version 2, I decided to add rappers who are known for their word-obsession (included a few others who were noticeably missing from v1):

Danny Brown
George Watsky
Childish Gambino
Jedi Mind Tricks
2 Chainz
K-Rino
Murs
Mac Dre
Action Bronson
Immortal Technique
Del the Funky Homosapian
Atmosphere
Sage Francis
Kendrick Lamar
J. Cole
Mac Miller
Jean Grae
Rick Ross
Trick Daddy

I expected that the top 10 rappers would shift dramatically.

Boy was I (and the Internet) right. Jedi Mind Tricks, Action Bronson, Jean Grae, Del, Sage Francis, and Immortal Technique are all at the top, artists known for their word-usage. Even Watsky is up there, whose roots are in slam poetry.

– @matthew_daniels

ps. Aesop Rock is still impossibly off the chart, even after his “peer set” was added. :)

Thanks, /u/FelixOrion.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Now if OP wanted to post some stuff I don't think has been here before, he could've posted the same guy's updated chart.

Warning: MASSIVE IMAGE

A lot has happened since the first version released in May. I highly recommend reading this analysis from Pigeons and Planes, which thoughtfully breaks-down what rap fans should take from a project like this:

The most common captions accompanying this article on social media were along the lines of, “I knew there was a reason I liked Wu-Tang,” or, “This proves how much better Aesop Rock is than all the mainstream crap.” Comments like these show that many people associate the amount of words a rapper uses with the breadth of his (or her) artistic expression—at least when they stop to think about it…

…Daniels’ insightful analysis shows that rappers can swing with heavyweights like Shakespeare when it comes to word choice, and highlights which rappers the word-obsessed among us (myself included) might gravitate towards. But the comments I’ve seen on social media disparaging or praising rappers for their place in the hierarchy of word usage seem to miss something. Rap can be poetic, but it’s not poetry. It’s music, a performed art, and as such its vocabulary cannot be described simply by words.​

In short, take all of this shit with a grain of salt. Think of this as a data-point that sparks interesting discussion about hip hop and word-usage, and absolutely not a conclusive argument for rapper x is better than rapper y.

In version 2, I decided to add rappers who are known for their word-obsession (included a few others who were noticeably missing from v1):

Danny Brown
George Watsky
Childish Gambino
Jedi Mind Tricks
2 Chainz
K-Rino
Murs
Mac Dre
Action Bronson
Immortal Technique
Del the Funky Homosapian
Atmosphere
Sage Francis
Kendrick Lamar
J. Cole
Mac Miller
Jean Grae
Rick Ross
Trick Daddy

I expected that the top 10 rappers would shift dramatically.

Boy was I (and the Internet) right. Jedi Mind Tricks, Action Bronson, Jean Grae, Del, Sage Francis, and Immortal Technique are all at the top, artists known for their word-usage. Even Watsky is up there, whose roots are in slam poetry.

– @matthew_daniels

ps. Aesop Rock is still impossibly off the chart, even after his “peer set” was added. :)

http://mfdaniels.tumblr.com/post/93313634355/updated-rappers-sorted-by-size-of-vocabulary-20

besada

Banned
Your spoiler was wrong, OP. My favorite is Aesop Rock.

Also, this is like the third time we've had a thread for this chart.

nynt9

Aesop Rock feels like he foresaw this graphic getting made and spent his entire career making sure he would be on top when it was made.

overcast

Vocabulary list placement is hardly indicative of a quality rapper to me. Interesting to see, but somewhat predictable.

Primary example of this, I would rather listen to DMX than Aesop.

Aesop Rock has a lot of really neat phrases in his songs, but he doesn't really have any kind of sense for how to build any kind of intellectual or emotional narrative to give them some kind of a structure to hang on.

Rell

didn't Shakespeare pretty much make up a bunch of his own words?

and figured Kool Keith is up there; the guy pretty much just says a bunch of words...irresponsibly.

injurai

Banned
Aesop Rock has a lot of really neat phrases in his songs, but he doesn't really have any kind of sense for how to build any kind of intellectual or emotional narrative to give them some kind of a structure to hang on.

I think it varies for him. He speaks to topics in very colorful language. There's a lot of imagery that comes together. But I agree, there are many other ways to build up language. I don't think there's any one way. I don't think he suffers for what he does. Nobody can do everything.

rude

Banned
Kinda weird that they excluded Iggy. The fact that it's come to the point where people are just refusing to acknowledge her talent...

The only person I can think of that might be near Aesop Rock's level would be Busdriver.
EDIT: And Camp Lo for that matter, they would at least be near E-40's range.

GorillaJu

This topic has come up here a few times, but the updated version is nice. As I expected, Action Bronson ranks pretty well.

besada

Banned
Ruby '81 says you're wrong, but you're mostly right. There are a lot of Aesop tracks that get lost in the good lines, but not all of them.

I love poking fun at Aesop's thesaurus diving, but have you heard Gopher Guts? Or Skelethon in general, really. Personally I think he made huge strides with storytelling on that album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom