• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

ethomaz

Banned
Why does TLG have more reviews than XV? Did some people review XV on the Xbox One?
Square Enix just sent review copies to few outlets...

And it is fast to review a 12 hours game vs 30 hours.

I'm gonna be a debbie downer

N2U9JnS.jpg
The number of reviews is way lower than MC right now and that makes difference.

The good news is that OC started to track non-English reviews so it will fill this gap in the future.

Just having fun with a game that reviewed disgustingly well considering what a mess it was.

The funny thing is... This game has the most predictable review conclusion.. right down to the concerns and issues... YEARS before the game was even expected to be cancelled behind the scenes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Meh. As an asian , my parents wouldn't let me eat for days if i got 83.
:p

I find it weird when people equate a metacritic score to an academic mark, when its far closer to something like a jury score on a talent show!

tesqui

Interesting that this game has 8 perfect scores on metacritic. Shadow of the Colossus only beats it by 1 with 9. Ico beats it by 5 with 13.

The Last Guardian also has like 15 yellow scores (7 and below). While SoTC only has 1. ICO has 0.

Also Final Fantasy XV shares the same MC 83 with only 2 perfect scores.

Never got around to ICO or SOTC. This is the last day for me to cancel my pre-order for the UK release on Friday. I have the whole weekend and the holidays to play it and I have not played a single game since Uncharted 4. Should I go for it?

Do it. It is a unique experience that is 8 years in the making.

Spman2099

I find it weird when people equate a metacritic score to an academic mark, when its far closer to something like a jury score on a talent show!

*edit* Wait, i just got what you were saying... That makes sense. It is a sorta weird thing to do when you think about it.

Never got around to ICO or SOTC. This is the last day for me to cancel my pre-order for the UK release on Friday. I have the whole weekend and the holidays to play it and I have not played a single game since Uncharted 4. Should I go for it?

Do it. Trico is love.

PlayerOne

Banned
Interesting that this game has 8 perfect scores on metacritic. Shadow of the Colossus only beats it by 1 with 9. Ico beats it by 5 with 13.

The Last Guardian also has like 15 yellow scores (7 and below). While SoTC only has 1. ICO has 0.

Also Final Fantasy XV shares the same MC 83 with only 2 perfect scores.

Let's say the average game scores 8. A perfect score will only give it 2 points maximum, a bad score can take away 7 points maximum.

That is why even though there were a lot of perfect scores or 9s, they only add 1-2 points to the majority of the score. While a negative review (4) takes away 4 points max.

It will need 4 perfect 10s to nullify one 4 point-review.

Such is the stupid scoring system of gaming.

Now, if only the average is actually rated 5 instead of 7 or 8...The Last Guardian would actually look "better" in scores but look at everyone. An 83 is a disappointment.

Sigh.

Let's say the average game scores 8. A perfect score will only give it 2 points maximum, a bad score can take away 7 points maximum.

That is why even though there were a lot of perfect scores or 9s, they only add 1-2 points to the majority of the score. While a negative review (4) takes away 4 points max.

It will need 4 perfect 10s to nullify one 4 point-review.

Such is the stupid scoring system of gaming.

Now, if only the average is actually rated 5 instead of 7 or 8...The Last Guardian would actually look "better" in scores but look at everyone. An 83 is a disappointment.

Sigh.

It's only the anti-hype people that put a lot of stock into this particular metacritic score. Predictably, we have already anticipated which review sites are going to dock this game down with extreme accuracy from Jim Sterling, Polygon and even IGN.

Telegraph...

What a pleasure it is to find a video game with such warmth and fascination with companionship. And what a joy it is for it to be found in a game with such an elegant sense of exploration. Some of its technical quirks cannot be ignored -errant frame-rates and inept camerawork especially- and some may find Trico’s capriciousness anathema to seamless adventure. But that is also what makes him and The Last Guardian so remarkable. Things that any animal lover can relate to - it is beautiful, heartfelt, unique and infuriating. And I adore it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...dian-review-extraordinary-tale-companionship/

5/5

Not in terms of general polling, but TLG is absolutely a 9 or 10 to the individuals that the game was intended to be played by.

Disagree. I dislike scoring in video games as they are way too complex to breakdown into arbitrary points. If I were to score it the way scores are intended I would've given this game 5/10 even though currently I consider this my game of the generation.

Servbot24

Banned
Disagree. I dislike scoring in video games as they are way too complex to breakdown into arbitrary points. If I were to score it the way scores are intended I would've given this game 5/10 even though currently I consider this my game of the generation.
You're gonna have to explain that one.

You're gonna have to explain that one.

Scores are traditionally segregated into categories: Graphics, Sound/Music, gameplay, Story, etc. As you can see TLG has sever issues on controls, framerate that hampers the visual feedback immensely, especially about a game that emphasize world building and environmental storytelling. So if I were to be hinest, I would severely dock the points according to the experience.

But of course it is a lot more complicated than that. To often than not reviewers tend to use the "forgiving" card that destroys the essence of a point system. I of course do not want to fall in that kind of trap.

If I were to "review". I would rather analyse experience, context and playability to give the most accurate assessment to the game. Much in the same way Digital Foundry breaks down the tech issues. And that - will sound more accurate to convey my playthrough experience. The scoring system is not only a bane on gaming, it's too binary with its application considering how complex video games are.

Servbot24

Banned
Scores are traditionally segregated into categories: Graphics, Sound/Music, gameplay, Story, etc. As you can see TLG has sever issues on controls, framerate that hampers the visual feedback immensely, especially about a game that emphasize world building and environmental storytelling. So if I were to be hinest, I would severely dock the points according to the experience.

But of course it is a lot more complicated than that. To often than not reviewers tend to use the "forgiving" card that destroys the essence of a point system. I of course do not want to fall in that kind of trap.

If I were to "review". I would rather analyse experience, context and playability to give the most accurate assessment to the game. Much in the same way Digital Foundry breaks down the tech issues. And that - will sound more accurate to convey my playthrough experience. The scoring system is not only a bane on gaming, it's too binary with its application considering how complex video games are.

The point system you described is asinine though. The primary flaw is it treats reviews like a formula, when reviews should be feelings. Secondly, even if reviews were formulas, yours fails to account for the weighting of different categories and fluctuation of that weight between titles.

The point system you described is asinine though. The primary flaw is it treats reviews like a formula, when reviews should be feelings. Secondly, even if reviews were formulas, yours fails to account for the weighting of different categories and fluctuation of that weight between titles.

If I did it like that I would give COD and Sports game 0/10 because I literally cannot stand playing those for even 5 minutes. The points system I described is still the standard and yes I have accounted the weighting system for individual titles. I have not seen one review system that uses a score system that I have necessarily agree with.

I know guys, just poking a little fun

Those 4/10 guys screwed the pooch, IGN 7 made it impossible for the game to get a 90 average, but it should hit 85 with all these 10's and 5/5 popping up now.

Trico is winning over the hearts baby!

I know guys, just poking a little fun

Those 4/10 guys screwed the pooch, IGN 7 made it impossible for the game to get a 90 average, but it should hit 85 with all these 10's and 5/5 popping up now.

Trico is winning over the hearts baby!

We've already anticipated the split before the game got released. We know the game only appeals to certain players.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I think the thing you need to keep in mind is that a lot of reviews are totally subjective in a lot of areas even technical ones. That frame pacing issue in Bloodborne was the bane of some people's existence but in like 50 hours of BB game time, probably more as I stopped really keeping track, it never really bothered me once. Obviously its there and I suppose the game should be docked for it since it is a negative but if it never really bothered me or hampered my experience. Should I still dock those points?

deeTyrant

If I did it like that I would give COD and Sports game 0/10 because I literally cannot stand playing those for even 5 minutes. The points system I described is still the standard and yes I have accounted the weighting system for individual titles. I have not seen one review system that uses a score system that I have necessarily agree with.

If I was reading a review from someone where they literally couldn't stand playing it for more than 5 minutes, and the final score was anything other than a 0/10 I would have a lot of trouble trusting anything that reviewer had to say ever again.

Servbot24

Banned

I would be fine with you giving COD a 0 if you're literally incapable of deriving any enjoyment from it whatsoever. That would be an honest review.

Anyhow, even if we go along with the false idea that reviews should be formulas, the only negatives you mentioned were controls and frame rate. Are you giving those both the worst score possible in order to get all the way down to 5/10 total?

I think the thing you need to keep in mind is that a lot of reviews are totally subjective in a lot of areas even technical ones. That frame pacing issue in Bloodborne was the bane of some people's existence but in like 50 hours of BB game time, probably more as I stopped really keeping track, it never really bothered me once. Obviously its there and I suppose the game should be docked for it since it is a negative but if it never really bothered me or hampered my experience. Should I still dock those points?

Like I mentioned before, I dislike the points system. The fact that you have to choose to overlook issues for enjoyment or being consistent is a clear case why. If I was forced to choose for myself it would be the latter. But that would mean I would review Uncharted 4 higher than TLG even though I enjoy the latter more than Uncharted. If O stuck with feelings like Servbot 24 , then uncharted 4 gets a 3 while TLG gets a 10. Notice how it differs based on context?

Griss

If I was reading a review from someone where they literally couldn't stand playing it for more than 5 minutes, and the final score was anything other than a 0/10 I would have a lot of trouble trusting anything that reviewer had to say ever again.

Well said.

People seem to think that review scores that low must be hyperbole but if that's how you feel then it's how you feel - no need to dance around it.

Of course, I'd want an in depth write up of why they couldn't stick with it for more than five minutes to justify the score but so long as that was there and the argument was coherent then I'd be good.

A good example is binding of isaac. A much loved game that I would legit give a 0/10.

Top Bottom