• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

Like I mentioned before, I dislike the points system. The fact that you have to choose to overlook issues for enjoyment or being consistent is a clear case why. If I was forced to choose for myself it would be the latter. But that would mean I would review Uncharted 4 higher than TLG even though I enjoy the latter more than Uncharted. If O stuck with feelings like Servbot 24 , then uncharted 4 gets a 3 while TLG gets a 10. Notice how it differs based on context?
Consistent in what way? Scoring even on the same site is dependent on the reviewer. There's nothing to be consistent about because what makes say...graphics or gameplay a 7 versus a 9 is defined by the person playing and writing

Feeling always come first. A review score for a piece of entertainment is not a measure of quality but a reflection of individual enjoyment

I would be fine with you giving COD a 0 if you're literally incapable of deriving any enjoyment from it whatsoever. That would be an honest review.

Anyhow, even if we go along with the false idea that reviews should be formulas, the only negatives you mentioned were controls and frame rate. Are you giving those both the worst score possible in order to get all the way down to 5/10 total?

It depends on the game . If a game emphazizes a specific feature I will place more weight to that particular point.

Well said.

People seem to think that review scores that low must be hyperbole but if that's how you feel then it's how you feel - no need to dance around it.

Of course, I'd want an in depth write up of why they couldn't stick with it for more than five minutes to justify the score but so long as that was there and the argument was coherent then I'd be good.

A good example is binding of isaac. A much loved game that I would legit give a 0/10.

Hyperbole or not, when you give reviewers full agency of "opinions" you would have to take it at face value.

Consistent in what way? Scoring even on the same site is dependent on the reviewer. There's nothing to be consistent about because what makes say...graphics or gameplay a 7 versus a 9 is defined by the person playing and writing

I was referring to how metacritic compiles it's scores. It doen't matter what point of view the reviewers use to tally the scores, MC would take it.

Feeling always come first. A review score for a piece of entertainment is not a measure of quality but a reflection of individual enjoyment

Sure, but I was speaking as if I was a reviewer on the job. So I would be using the formula metric as it there to inform the users irrespective of my feelings.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Disagree. I dislike scoring in video games as they are way too complex to breakdown into arbitrary points. If I were to score it the way scores are intended I would've given this game 5/10 even though currently I consider this my game of the generation.

This makes "NO" sense at all!!!!

Why not? I've already established the difference between using a formula and going by feelings.

The formula is hardly objective...It weights certain aspects over others. Games like this highlight the flaws of generic metrics as universal systems. This game is designed in a particular way for a particular audience. It weights aspects that other games don't. Some of the things that this game is strong on, other games would probably score abysmally on and vice-versa.

It still makes no sense to use a formula, and even if we conceded a formula, the one you presented also makes no sense.

That depends on the reviewer. And the issue here isn't whether or not the formula is "valid", the reviewer still gets to decide. When you get excuses like "it has X issue but it hasn't affected my enjoyment" disrups that formula whether you like it or not.

The formula is hardly objective...It weights certain aspects over others. Games like this highlight the flaws of generic metrics as universal systems. This game is designed in a particular way for a particular audience. It weights aspects that other games don't. Some of the things that this game is strong on, other games would probably score abysmally on and vice-versa.

That's exactly what I was trying to say all along.

Servbot24

Banned
That depends on the reviewer. And the issue here isn't whether or not the formula is "valid", the reviewer still gets to decide. When you get excuses like "it has X issue but it hasn't affected my enjoyment" disrups that formula whether you like it or not.

Ok, so in your opinion what is the purpose of reviewing media? You're making it into a strange exercise rather than a simple statement of how enjoyable a game is, and I'm not sure what purpose that serves.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why not? I've already established the difference between using a formula and going by feelings.

Because there's no way the frame rate and camera should score 0 points on your scale (a scale that we both agree is silly to begin with).

I have the game on the PS4 PRO, so I know the frame rate is better for me that PS4 OG users, but come on. And I also made the camera speed faster due to the camera issues I had and that fixed 80% of those issues for me.

I'm glad most reviewers don't score games like this anymore.

That's exactly what I was trying to say all along.

Okay, well I probably didn't read enough of your posts. Thanks for clarifying.

Loudninja

Telegraph 5/5
What a pleasure it is to find a video game with such warmth and fascination with companionship. And what a joy it is for it to be found in a game with such an elegant sense of exploration. Some of its technical quirks cannot be ignored -errant frame-rates and inept camerawork especially- and some may find Trico’s capriciousness anathema to seamless adventure. But that is also what makes him and The Last Guardian so remarkable. Things that any animal lover can relate to - it is beautiful, heartfelt, unique and infuriating. And I adore it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...dian-review-extraordinary-tale-companionship/

Ok, so in your opinion what is the purpose of reviewing media? You're making it into a strange exercise rather than a simple statement of how enjoyable a game is, and I'm not sure what purpose that serves.

I think we've strayed too far from the core aspect of this argument but to answer your question and clarify my point:

The purpose is to inform the user the detail of the product. For video games, I prefer they eliminate the scoring system entirely.
An interactive medium in which any element can directly impact the way the user experience the game simply cannot be compiled into a numerial value expecting to reflect the totality of the experience.

This, is the core of my argument. The games media - in general - are a joke. There is huge disconnect between the reviewers in informing the users the correct and relevant information about the intricacies of a game medium that is suddenly reductive to a movie/book style review. Any player who takes a while studying the game towards completion is going to notice important elements most reviewers miss. And if I have to take a risk buying the product because of the lack of proper messaging from the reviewers part, then they in turn, have no purpose in this industry.

Because there's no way the frame rate and camera should score 0 points on your scale (a scale that we both agree is silly to begin with).

Actually, I prefer no scoring system and that whole "0" points is there to show how it can be abused when you give reviewers full agency to an opinionated review. Naturally, with my scoring system. would not be approved in any "reputable" games media nor will it resonate with the general public anyways. So me giving a 0/10 would be outlier reserved only for instigating semantic debates on NeoGAF.

I have the game on the PS4 PRO, so I know the frame rate is better for me that PS4 OG users, but come on. And I also made the camera speed faster due to the camera issues I had and that fixed 80% of those issues for me.

I myself have contemplated of getting a pro just for this game due to the amount of improvements shown by Digital Foundry. But after buying a new laptop/smartphone, the option isn't currently a valid one.

I'm glad most reviewers don't score games like this anymore.

Reviewers still score games with questionable merit. Even from independent sites like thejimquisiton which I was a backer from the beginning. But after seeing TLG's review, I knew already that was the extent of his play abilities as a reviewer. Coincidentally, Patreon just announced that my credit card was expired and requires an updated one to continue supporting the site. I suddently do not have the will to do so in the forthcoming future.

kyser73

I still reckon Zzap!64's method of having a game write up with 3 reviewing comments & scorecard broken down into presentation, graphics, sound, playability, longevity & and overall score was great.

The three opinions were good because you frequently had a 'minority report' who disagreed with the other two which made for good counterpoints.

So what are Giantbombs thoughts on it? I don't wanna spoil any gameplay by watching the QL.

Seems like Jeff is the only one that does reviews there anymore anyways :/

The fact that TLG is currently neck and neck with FFXV in ratings when the latter was designed to cater to the largest audience possible and TLG is a pure, unfiltered, uncompromising, expression from the mind of a single human is telling to me.

Ueda has done it again. Cult classic status achieved for the third time in a row.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The fact that TLG is currently neck and neck with FFXV in ratings when the latter was designed to cater to the largest audience possible and TLG is a pure, unfiltered, uncompromising, expression from the mind of a single human is telling to me.

Ueda has done it again. Cult classic status achieved for the third time in a row.

Its metacritic score is now beating FFXV with even more reviews.

bigol

It was always that way. Final Fantasy has always been the popular cool game, while Ueda games have always been niche. Look at the sales. TLG will be lucky to reach 1 million copies. It's sad, though.

Looks like it went up.
qvWte8H.png

When Washington Post posted their review of Uncharted 4, its Metacritic score went from 94 to 93. Now they've posted their review of The Last Guardian and it's score has gone from 83 to 84.

ancient-aliens-1.png

HStallion

I do wonder how Edge will rate this. They love these kind of games but also tend to take a hardline stance on technical issues.

IHaveIce

Banned
So can somebody explain to me why sites feel it is right to give a game that struggles so much on its technical site a 9/10?

Every other game would get destroyed for the performance after this long time.

I mean I like the gameplay and story, but this just doesn't sit well with me

ScOULaris

So can somebody explain to me why sites feel it is right to give a game that struggles so much on its technical site a 9/10?

I'd give it a 9/10. It deserves to be docked a full point for its performance struggles, no doubt, but that's the only criticism I have of the game. Everything else is wonderful.

HStallion

Some people don't give a shit about the technical issues or the game was so good in all other aspects they didn't rightly care.

Nope

skyrimpas4a.png

skyrimj9xgy.gif

HStallion

And lets not forget the Witcher 3 ran pretty poorly on the consoles at release and was still incredibly well received and was a huge seller.

i still couldn't bought the game but i assume in a couple of years it will have a place near other all-time classics. huge gratitude for everyone who believed in this project and supoorted it for years and years.

Every other game would not get destroyed. Where have you been the last few years with the performance of some major titles?

Top Bottom