• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian (TRICO) announced for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

-viper-

Banned
Looks great. And I prefer the current creature to the old one, which I didn't like. This one looks more believable.

ngr6mx.jpg

This shot reminds me, its pretty exciting to have this team returning to a focused locale. SotC's sprawling wasteland hit all the notes it intended, but Ico's castle was such an evocative, atmospheric, unforgettable place to explore. Place being the operative word. The last shot in the trailer is one of many glimpses, the wind effecting virtually every feather, branch, leaf and blade of grass.

Guled

BruceLeeRoy said:
Absolutely. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

I love this thing:

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/10825/1520_0005.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
If any game looks like a painting, its this. I can't believe how talented team ICO are

A.R.K

BruceLeeRoy said:
Absolutely. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

I love this thing:

1520_0005.jpg

Man this thing is absolutely beautiful and feels so real even though its just 1s 0s...fucking amazing.

xaosslug

Duke Togo said:
I always felt horrible after I took down a colossus in SOTC. I wonder if this game will send me on another awesome guilt trip or not. Day 1 either way.

so did I. And gawd, when
Argo fell into that chasm
I was like NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :'(

Lord Error said:
Yeah, some of those images from Famitsy are there in super high res on Sony's press site, but not fully uploaded, and damaged files :\

I sure hope so, but don't count on it. I showed trailer to some of my co-workers, all smart people, who are somewhat into games (WoW, Mario Kart, Halo, popular stuff like that) and they pretty uniformly said that it looked great, but "what do I do in this game??".
They thought the whole thing was a Final Fantasy style trailer that had nothing to do with how the game plays like, and were surprised when I told them lots of it were probably gameplay sequences, like when the kid sneaks to creature, climbs on it, or when the creature is running over that collapsing bridge, kid climbing up its tail etc. I think for people unfamiliar with Ico and SotC, this game is pretty much going to be a question mark as well. You kinda need familiarity with those games to put in perspective what kind of gameplay trailer shows.

it's that curiosity that'll do it, I find. ;D See, if their reaction had been "nice" and that had been the long and short of it that would speak to their interest or lack there of any, but that they're wondering what they're supposed to DO in the game tells me this game is gonna do big things! :D

i showed the leaked trailer to my younger brother - who refuses to play SotC even though I've told him over and over again how chock full of win it is - and he actually asked me when the game comes out (which is moar than I expected :lol) !!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The only thing that didn't look very good so far is the water when the creature emerges from it, but it's not big deal considering it will probably look better by the time of release considering how incredible the game looks.

Can't wait to see more, yet at the same I don't want to see anything else till I have the game in hands.

RyuHayate

The more I look at this game my desire for a full length, behind-the-scenes documentary of its development grows stronger.

If any game is deserving of a SE, it's this one.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey I just realized something while posting on Beyond3D, I'll just copy paste the post:

Actually, Ueda mentioned that all the feathers are individually physics-driven since there is wind throughout the game, and even his throat movement when he swallows food is physics-driven too (it's like a soft body that stretches automatically as the object goes down his throat).

The reason for this is not only because it looks better, but it allows them to automate a whole lot of aspects that would otherwise require a lot of hand work for lesser quality.

For example, we can imagine that after the creature comes out of the water, all the feathers became heavier, so they are affected different by the physics as a result. This is very easy to do if they are already controlled by physics. Then you just have to take care of how to make them look wet on a visual level.

With the throat, it means that anything it swallows, even a character, might move as it goes down his throat (in Japanese, the game is called "The giant man-eating eagle Toriko"), and this would be all handled by the physics so in can result in all sorts of unique animations.

Very smart way to work. Can't wait to see the whole game, they are artistic and technical geniuses.
----

I think that would be funny if you could swallow those soldiers alive:p

Also, on an unrelated note, if the soldiers are golem-like, then it might point at a link with the people who made the colossi, maybe they are made by the same people.

It's kind of ridiculous that Sony is still letting this team fall under the nebulous wing of their Japan Studio instead of making them into the new superstar dev-house like Polyphony Digital or Naughty Dog.

Ether_Snake said:
Hey I just realized something while posting on Beyond3D, I'll just copy paste the post:

Actually, Udea mentionned that all the feathers are individually physics-driven since there is wind throughout the game, and even his throat movement when he swallows food is physics-driven too (it's like a soft body that stretches automatically as the object goes down his throat).

The reason for this is not only because it looks better, but it allows them to automate a whole lot of aspects that would otherwise require a lot of hand work for lesser quality.

For example, we can imagine that after the creature comes out of the water, all the feathers became heavier, so they are affected different by the physics as a result. This is very easy to do if they are already controlled by physics. Then you just have to take care of how to make them look wet on a visual level.

With the throat, it means that anything it swallows, even a character, might move as it goes down his throat (in Japanese, the game is called "The giant man-eating eagle Toriko"), and this would be all handled by the physics so in can result in all sorts of unique animations.

Very smart way to work. Can't wait to see the whole game, they are artistic and technical geniuses.
----

I think that would be funny if you could swallow those soldiers alive:p

Also, on an unrelated note, if the soldiers are golem-like, then it might point at a link with the people who made the colossi, maybe they are made by the same people.
They did that a lot with SOTC as well. I'm suprised more studios don't, but Team Ico also got self-shadowing to work on the PS2, so they're pretty on the ball.

I'm wondering if there'll be an online multiplayer mode where one person plays as the kid and tries to get through a certain area while another 8 or so guys play as guards and stab the shit out of the birdy with spears and arrows.

MickeyKnox said:
It's kind of ridiculous that Sony is still letting this team fall under the nebulous wing of their Japan Studio instead of making them into the new superstar dev-house like Polyphony Digital or Naughty Dog.

Sony saved them as one of the crown jewels of their lineup at e3. I think the budget and time they afford them is evidence they are a superstar studio.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Sony saved them as one of the crown jewels of their lineup at e3. I think the budget and time they afford them is evidence they are a superstar studio.
I just think they could better leverage the unanimous adulation of the gaming press and hardcore gaming audience if they let them become their own brand so to speak.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Timekiller said:
Can we hope for a Ico \ Sotc in HD via PSN or XBLA?
Yes please. I'd buy both day one since I can't play them on my non-BC PS3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MickeyKnox said:
I just think they could better leverage the unanimous adulation of the gaming press and hardcore gaming audience if they let them become their own brand so to speak.
You are probably right, but there's something appealing about their relative anonymity and willingness to be low key as well.

MickeyKnox said:

I think Sony's realized that they don't have to push these guys to create masterpieces. Their relationship seems pretty fantastic as it is.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
karasu said:
I'm booting up SOTC for the first time right now.

Ugh, i wish i can play it again for the first time. The ending owns my life.

God's Beard said:
They did that a lot with SOTC as well. I'm suprised more studios don't, but Team Ico also got self-shadowing to work on the PS2, so they're pretty on the ball.

I'm wondering if there'll be an online multiplayer mode where one person plays as the kid and tries to get through a certain area while another 8 or so guys play as guards and stab the shit out of the birdy with spears and arrows.
That would never work. Who would want to stab the poor thing? ;_;

I've got an idea, the guards can try and tickle and/or pet it into submission. There, I think that would work.

Mmmkay

gofreak said:
They're fooking 3-pronged pitchforks, some of them :(

:(

Believe me, I know it's utterly :( thinking about it, but my mind only goes to this when you said that:
Ron Burgundy: Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?
Brick Tamland: Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.
Ron Burgundy: Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

I just beat SotC a week ago and it was a very depressing, but entertaining experience. Hauntingly beautiful.

Very much looking forward to TLG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom