• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian (TRICO) announced for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
RazzleDazzleRB said:
I hope these guys never stop making games for Sony.
I hope they just keep making games period. I couldn't give two shits if it's on a Sony console. They could make a game for the fucking Atari 2600 and it would still be a piece of art.

JoJo13

Banned
Hell, I wish Sony had 20 different TEAM ICOs working on ethereal projects like this instead of what we mostly get from SCEJ.

Gravijah

JoJo13 said:
Hell, I wish Sony had 20 different TEAM ICOs working on ethereal projects like this instead of what we mostly get from SCEJ.

And in this bizarro world people will be begging for arthouse projects like Resistance and Killzone.

jett

D-Member
Teetris said:
Doesn't that mean the game is not open world?

It's not open world, Ueda has said that you go through a linear path visiting different environments, like ICO.

Neiteio

inthezone said:
There's something sad about the creature. Like it hasnt lived a happy life or whatever :(
The creature is probably sad because it's been chained up in a dank dungeon all its life. I suspect the boy frees the creature, then runs when he realizes how BIG it is, as we see at the beginning of the trailer. The creature then gives pursuit, not because the creature wants to harm the boy, but because it's adopted the boy as its mother. :)

Raistlin

Just wanted to jump in and say that I finally watched the 1080p feed of the Sony conference.

I don't know how to even convey how this game looks. The leaked trailer made my jay drop, this one however ... I actually just sat there in stunned silence unable to move.

I've never fucking seen anything like this. They could release it as a movie and I'd be lined up to see it in a theater day one. How is this even possible?!?!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Onix said:
Just wanted to jump in and say that I finally watched the 1080p feed of the Sony conference.

I don't know how to even convey how this game looks. The leaked trailer made my jay drop, this one however ... I actually just sat there in stunned silence unable to move.

I've never fucking seen anything like this. They could release it as a movie and I'd be lined up to see it in a theater day one. How is this even possible?!?!
Team Olympics; that's how. Gold metals all day, everyday.
This game will rock my socks off. I actually want them to take their sweet time and deliver on their vision for this project. We have couple of really special dev houses, but Team Olympics is definitely ultra omega tier.

sammy

Onix said:
How is this even possible?!?!

They create with priorities in mind: Storytelling + Character + Universe

not your average design-by-committee, whatever comes out the other end style of interactive development.

Raistlin

DieNgamers said:
Yes...so it is the...."head" :O Mini colossi! I wonder who built them. Those areas look like lost ruins once again and those stone-creatures look similar to the style of the monsters in SotC. I can't wait! ;(

What if that isn't a mini colossus, but a full-sized one?

0_0

The boy is that last guardian, the last of his kind? He's going to die by the end of this game, and this is actually set before Shadow of the Colossus?

mind implodes

spwolf

Onix said:

you know ttp is going to hate it right? :)

Neiteio

Kitty Dragon is the ultimate animal lovers' animal. The first videogame character where to look into its eyes is to look into its soul.

jax (old)

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
ruliweb_tricoe3_04.jpg

you know. This image is massively amazing. Just the detail/artstyle. Whenever this releases, can't come soon enough.

Raistlin

I'd also like to mention that this game has some of the best texturing and modeling of architectured stone and metal I've ever seen. There just this solidity and naturalness to it that I've never seen in a game before.

ico hinted at that in many ways, but now that they're working in HD ... the results are bordering on absurd. When it's then combined with some of the best lighting and animation ever in a game ... it's just ... my god ...

anyone got feeling that the boy is kinda cocky or very confident? the way he pose with his hands on his waist.

very different than Ico that kinda give the feel of insecurity and naive.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The whole thing reminds me of the Neverending story and it was one of my favorite childhood movies.

This just looks amazing. I really need to replay ICO and SOTC. Especially SOTC it's been a while since i've replayed it but i really should get around to that.

Lucky i have a BC PS3:D

I made the picture where the creature is laying on the grass with the boy underneath his plumage as my desktop. I feel that that picture is the most beautiful portrait of a videogame I have ever seen in my life.

Schrade

Onix said:
What. The. Fuck? Where? I've only seen the 720p feed on PSN. Did they add 1080p?

Raistlin

Schrade said:
What. The. Fuck? Where? I've only seen the 720p feed on PSN. Did they add 1080p?

Sorry, my bad. Yes, the E3 conference videos are in 720p.

However, a small portion (the beginning) of the trailer is on the 2nd part of the Pulse E3 coverage. It is in 1080p.

hauton

game doesn't even look that good

but art direction and style trumps gr4phx anyday

oh and this will probably be the most "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" game of all godamned time

in fact i can guarantee i'll be going :3 through half the damn game

hauton said:
game doesn't even look that good

but art direction and style trumps gr4phx anyday

oh and this will probably be the most "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" game of all godamned time

in fact i can guarantee i'll be going :3 through half the damn game

I dont agree...game looks as good as anything Ive seen on consoles and pc...

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I've also heard that it will output at full 1080p .... Either way, I can't get over how amazing and detailed this is. I love love love the contrast of rendering art styles between the creature and the boy. I have a good feeling that the game is closing in on us. TGS couldn't come any slower! Thank god its at the end of September this year (it is, right?)

This is my favorite aspect of the visuals. Rendering the boy stylized in shape and color and somewhat undefined in form makes the image more subjective and "warm" to the player through subconscious identification, this is the reason why Mii's often inscrutably "look more like" their counterparts, the opposite of the uncanny valley in some ways. The creature is more objectively rendered, but being combined animal forms -- with the simple faces of children and pets as the standard for potential subjectivity earning them the title of "cute" in addition to triggering a universal protective mechanism -- there is still wide room to project with slighty more emotional distance reminding one of the sad plight it's in as an imprisoned, lonely, wounded infant. Further, the environment, while flooded with sunlight in many places and seemingly exuding warmth is actually rendered quite "cold" emotionally through near total objectivity and high realism. All of this working together silently emphasizes the narrative without any overt "story".

This team is brillant and I need to go to sleep.

HankToms

ZephyrFate said:
I made the picture where the creature is laying on the grass with the boy underneath his plumage as my desktop. I feel that that picture is the most beautiful portrait of a videogame I have ever seen in my life.

haha, I did the same. I wonder how many others did too. :p

Hy_

Callibretto said:
anyone got feeling that the boy is kinda cocky or very confident? the way he pose with his hands on his waist.

very different than Ico that kinda give the feel of insecurity and naive.

Seems like he has lived a sheltered and pampered life too. The tribal markings and the clothing come off as if he's royalty. Maybe he's trying to escape all that?

Hy_ said:
Seems like he has lived a sheltered and pampered life too. The tribal markings and the clothing come off as if he's royalty. Maybe he's trying to escape all that?

I have to say, once I get over the creature's wow factor, I'm more interested with the boy than the creature.

Schrade

Callibretto said:
I have to say, once I get over the creature's wow factor, I'm more interested with the boy than the creature.
Perhaps you will be interested in Microsoft's Milo too...

Schrade said:
Perhaps you will be interested in Microsoft's Milo too...
I'm not a believer in Milo and don't think it'll be much fun to play with Milo other than trying to mess with him and broke the AI:lol

when I said I'm more interested about the boy is we don't know anything about him. just from the trailer, many of us already assume the creature is fond of the boy and it'll just follow you around. I'm not expecting any personality out of the creature other than some loyal pet.

the boy on the other hand. what's his motivation? why is he being chased around by those guards? does he really care for the creature? why did he run from the creature in the trailer at first? he's a much more interesting character to talk about than the creature where every comment is mostly about how pretty the feather looks, how awesome the animation is, and how sad it will be when it died.

Speevy

Banned
That's not funny, and it's not particularly accurate considering the number of things that are happening in ICO/SOTC.

I would be frankly disappointed if The Last Guardian boils down to a simple boy and his pet tale, and I don't think fans of Ueda's games believe that's what will happen.

razorman

Can't wait for this, Ico and SotC were two of the finest games of the last generation, and this looks every bit as breathtaking.

Speevy said:
That's not funny, and it's not particularly accurate considering the number of things that are happening in ICO/SOTC.

I would be frankly disappointed if The Last Guardian boils down to a simple boy and his pet tale, and I don't think fans of Ueda's games believe that's what will happen.

I would be very disappointed if that isn't what it turns out to be at its core. That's the only place I can see a solid emotional foundation coming from.

I'm not sure it will turn out that way, though. I just recently finished my second playthrough of SotC, and my disgust with the way the ending was handled has only strengthened. You have this beautiful story that draws its strength from its simplicity, from the emotion inherent in a story about a man willing to destroy himself for a chance to bring his lover back from the dead... and then it's all nearly ruined by an incomprehensible, silly ending that apparently only exists to tie the game to Ico (which could have been accomplished in a much more effective way, if anyone had bothered to try).

Speevy

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
I would be very disappointed if that isn't what it turns out to be at its core. That's the only place I can see a solid emotional foundation coming from.

I'm not sure it will turn out that way, though. I just recently finished my second playthrough of SotC, and my disgust with the way the ending was handled has only strengthened. You have this beautiful story that draws its strength from its simplicity, from the emotion inherent in a story about a man willing to destroy himself for a chance to bring his lover back from the dead... and then it's all nearly ruined by an incomprehensible, silly ending that apparently only exists to tie the game to Ico (which could have been accomplished in a much more effective way, if anyone had bothered to try).

So you thought a reunion would be the appropriate payoff for a story in which one character is told to kill for no apparent reason?

It's not like the main character is tasked with ridding the world of ultimate evil. That's why the ending is what it is.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Maybe the monster turns into some princess at the end and marries the boy bringing peace and harmony to the lands..........Then heavy metal music starts and you get guns and shit and start blowing motherfuckers up.

Nolan.

Maybe neither will die and one or both will just ''disappear'' , then they cut to the now empty places that was once filled with the joyful cries of those two...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom