• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian (TRICO) announced for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
jump_button said:
any one see this being befor SotC?
I'm currently working under the assumption that SotC is the first in this supposed trilogy, as being a genesis story of sorts. maybe UK Narayan will smack me over the head again for being wrong though ;_;

Brobzoid said:
I'm currently working under the assumption that SotC is the first in this supposed trilogy, as being a genesis story of sorts. maybe UK Narayan will smack me over the head again for being wrong though ;_;
No, you're right. Wander & The Colossus, as far as anyone knows - chronologically speaking, is the first.

I don't really know where to place ICO. It could be the last, but The Last Guardian could also be the last - or it could just be a side-story.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

What I really enjoy about these games is that they communicate a lot of the story without narrative or strongly conventional details.

Brobzoid

If I'm not mistaken the cataclysmic events of Ico are;
that the Queen needs/acquires a new vessel to contain her power, perhaps indicating that Ico takes place a long time after SotC.
Horned children have been sacrificed for a very long time, and now a horned boy has managed to get out into the world upsetting whatever status quo was in place.

So if TLG takes place after Ico then we will most likely be seeing a returning Queen or something that plays her role as a container of certain powers. We might also run into some horned motherfuckers.

If it takes place before Ico we might see the rise of the horned or perhaps the end of the conflict in which humans attempt to eradicate them and the start of the sacrifices seen in Ico. TLG could also serve as a way to explain if, and if so how, Dormin's powers morphed into what is presented as the Queen in Ico.

Personally I think the latter is more exciting, and given the armor design on the soldiers in the trailer (closer to SotC's colossi design than the soldiers of Ico) I also think it's more plausible.
U K Narayan said:
What I really enjoy about these games is that they communicate a lot of the story without narrative or strongly conventional details.
I agree with you, sir, 'tis splendid indeed.

nny

KurowaSan said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/24v4bnl.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2po8svs.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2edqsk8.jpg[IMG]

ooh, those shots look perfect for an edition like this one. Make it happen, Sony.[/QUOTE]

SoTC also has an edition like this, so yeah Sony, better keep the presentation like this.

Brobzoid said:
If I'm not mistaken the cataclysmic events of Ico are;
that the Queen needs/acquires a new vessel to contain her power, perhaps indicating that Ico takes place a long time after SotC.
Horned children have been sacrificed for a very long time, and now a horned boy has managed to get out into the world upsetting whatever status quo was in place.

So if TLG takes place after Ico then we will most likely be seeing a returning Queen or something that plays her role as a container of certain powers. We might also run into some horned motherfuckers.

If it takes place before Ico we might see the rise of the horned or perhaps the end of the conflict in which humans attempt to eradicate them and the start of the sacrifices seen in Ico. TLG could also serve as a way to explain if, and if so how, Dormin's powers morphed into what is presented as the Queen in Ico.

Personally I think the latter is more exciting, and given the armor design on the soldiers in the trailer (closer to SotC's colossi design than the soldiers of Ico) I also think it's more plausible.
Well, to go back to Wander & The Colossus, I felt as though the events in the ending of the game eventually led to ICO in this way.
Mono becomes imbued with the powers of Dormin and eventually becomes the Queen we see in ICO. Wander becomes the first horned child. How this affects later generations is beyond me, but it's evident that Dormin's influence hits humanity - which leads to the paranoia regarding horned children (or horned anything if The Last Guardian is believed to be a side-story).

In regard to ICO, I felt that the setting took place several centuries following W&TC. Mono has become the Queen and has been collecting horned children because they are vessels containing Dormin's power. Her purpose, ultimately, is to bring about Dormin's resurrection. ICO is simply a vessel (possibly the last vessel) who gets caught up in the cycle of humanity's paranoia of horned children (or anything) and indirect contribution to Dormin's ressurection. He ends up as a sacrificial offering and, of course, escapes - and eventually ends the cycle of sacrifice and contribution by destroying the Queen.

I was going to selectively quote portions of your post, but I can't be bothered at the moment. I guess if you question anything in my post when pieced against yours - you can ask questions. >:p

I wish I could get the trailer in a lossless 1080p format. Oh well. :|

Johnas

Those screens are unbelievable.

If this game can replicate (or surpass) my experience of playing SotC for the first time, it'll easily be one of the finest gaming experiences of my life.

I keep wondering whether or not this game will have bosses. I kind of hope it does; Ico had none (except the end) and SotC had only boss fights, so I guess I'd like to see this game strike a balance and be different from the other two. I'm not worried either way, whatever Ueda creates will be perfect.

Brobzoid

U K Narayan said:
Well, to go back to Wander & The Colossus, I felt as though the events in the ending of the game eventually led to ICO in this way.
Mono becomes imbued with the powers of Dormin and eventually becomes the Queen we see in ICO. Wander becomes the first horned child. How this affects later generations is beyond me, but it's evident that Dormin's influence hits humanity - which leads to the paranoia regarding horned children (or horned anything if The Last Guardian is believed to be a side-story).

In regard to ICO, I felt that the setting took place several centuries following W&TC. Mono has become the Queen and has been collecting horned children because they are vessels containing Dormin's power. Her purpose, ultimately, is to bring about Dormin's resurrection. ICO is simply a vessel (possibly the last vessel) who gets caught up in the cycle of humanity's paranoia of horned children (or anything) and indirect contribution to Dormin's ressurection. He ends up as a sacrificial offering and, of course, escapes - and eventually ends the cycle of sacrifice and contribution by destroying the Queen.

I was going to selectively quote portions of your post, but I can't be bothered at the moment. I guess if you question anything in my post when pieced against yours - you can ask questions. >:p

I wish I could get the trailer in a lossless 1080p format. Oh well. :|
I'm not so sure we should stick so adamantly to the idea that Mono is left holding Dormin.

Perhaps the fact that Dormin, in the beginning of SotC, has a female and a male voice,
but then grows increasingly male over the course of the game indicates that the female part of Dormin is infused over into Mono (as part of the agreement of Mono's resurrection) and the male part in Wander? Perhaps the Queen seeks to reunite the separated pieces to resurrect Dormin...
The fact that the defeated Colossi appear as shadows, similar to the sacrificed horned boys, could mean that something that has at any point been used to contain Dormin, in any capacity, is doomed to eternal servitude after their death [or something, I'm thinking aloud].

I think we need more information before closing the gap between Mono and the Queen as well. As it stands at the end of SotC we have
Mono, a horned baby, Agro and some random animals apparently living in the secret garden. But if you climb to the secret garden in the game and try to eat the fruits there your health is reduced. Are these fruits beneficial for the horned baby? Did the eradication of the colossi and the re-awakening of Dormin change something in the environment? Not that I think we were meant to pry this deep into the story, so maybe I'm over-analyzing and the end is meant as an allegory to the genesis of man or some other abstraction.

My brain is pooping on me right now and I can't really see where I'm going with this so I'll kill it here. I really hope TLG sheds some light on the events put in motion by SotC and finally leading into the (assumed) status quo between the humans and the Queen and all this sacrificing.

Vesper73

Well folks, I'm just gonna have to come out here and say that there isn't a single group that has mastery over computer hardware like Team ICO, not one! Let's not even begin to speak of the stuff they pulled off for SOTC that shouldn't have even been possible. I am in awe!

You can just go ahead and use Team ICO as the metric for what is possible on any given hardware platform. Let's just leave it at that! For them to pull this off with that junky old generation Geforce chipset is truly stunning! They are doing nothing short of working miracles with those SPEs on the Cell processor!

Team ICO, I prostrate myself before your greatness......

Brobzoid said:
I really hope TLG sheds some light on the events put in motion by SotC and finally leading into the (assumed) status quo between the humans and the Queen and all this sacrificing.

Given Team Ico's penchant for mysterious ambiguity, I'm not expecting a whole lot of revelatory exposition in the third. At least I hope not, I really enjoy their minimalist approach to fantasy. I love how they provide just enough tangible archetype to anchor the player in the world, with all these layers at the periphery.. but ultimately leave the events and motivations to your own interpretation. The user's imagination is a far more powerful storytelling device than any script, and they know exactly when to let it in.

Rindain

Banned
What will make this the best game on PS3 when all is said and done?

-Emotional bonding

-Interaction that doesnt involve just shooting / slashing at stuff

-Animation indistinguishable from reality

-Feathers

Lince

Banned
I envy those that will buy the game like I bought ICO some years ago, I didn't know anything about that game, never saw a pic or a trailer... but the collectors edition was so amazing and the cover almost magical, I just got it on impulse and omg such amazing memories... a couple of years later I religiously got the CE of SOTC but it wasn't the same experience, I wish I'd never seen the creature or the child in Trico, I'm going for a media blackout (news, previews, pics, videos and whatever stuff) starting now.

gantz85

Banned
Latest batch of screenshots are STUNNING.

The BabyGriff is amazingly rendered... I would go as far as to say that it's the "best looking" character in all of gaming thus far. Unbelievable.

f1ff51.jpg

I'm still not sure about the quality of the game although it's Ueda. The guards on patrol in the video look EXTREMELY stiff although the team has 3 AI programmers.

Lince said:
I envy those that will buy the game like I bought ICO some years ago, I didn't know anything about that game, never saw a pic or a trailer... but the collectors edition was so amazing and the cover almost magical, I just got it on impulse and omg such amazing memories....

Yeah, the magazine I got the ICO demo with revealed far too much, even pictures from the bridge bit near the end.

raviolico

gantz85 said:
I'm still not sure about the quality of the game although it's Ueda. The guards on patrol in the video look EXTREMELY stiff although the team has 3 AI programmers.

well, we don`t know for sure how far along in development those stuff is.
and we don`t know shit what this guards are.

far to early to judge.

Brobzoid

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Given Team Ico's penchant for mysterious ambiguity, I'm not expecting a whole lot of revelatory exposition in the third. At least I hope not, I really enjoy their minimalist approach to fantasy. I love how they provide just enough tangible archetype to anchor the player in the world, with all these layers at the periphery.. but ultimately leave the events and motivations to your own interpretation. The user's imagination is a far more powerful storytelling device than any script, and they know exactly when to let it in.
Of course I agree. I wouldn't want some Kojima-esque final reveal, but like SotC shedded more light on certain things in Ico I hope certain things in TLG will engorge other, perhaps previously unnoticed, aspects of the other games.

gantz85

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Perhaps the mechanical quality of the guards has a purpose? Hollow souls rather than human?

Like someone previously noticed, as I did as well, in the leaked trailer the guard that BabyGriff smashes actually falls back onto the floor with an inner body exposed. In the new trailer shown at E3, the camera does not capture the falling body (if any).

This may be a sign that the Guards in the game have changed, possibly due to limitations n their AI routine.

Also, I'm a bitch for detail so if you look at the Boy's animation in the E3 trailer, the throwing barrel animation is different (over-the-shoulder throw in E3 compared to the under-the-shoulder fling in the leaked trailer) and it's also abit wonky. Right after he throws he reverts stiffly back into this standing animation with his left arm on his hip.

I hope it's something they iron out because the animation quality as represented in the trailers are generally of a movie-like quality.

west

nelsonroyale said:
Perhaps the mechanical quality of the guards has a purpose? Hollow souls rather than human?

Would make sense. Ico and SOTC had no fighting against humans. Killing people does not seem like team icos style. We will see...

Dever

Banned
west said:
Would make sense. Ico and SOTC had no fighting against humans. Killing people does not seem like team icos style. We will see...

I doubt killing giant monsters by repeatedly stabbing them in their glowing weak spots seemed like Team Ico's style after Ico :p

Chao

alr1ghtstart said:
*trico cover*

Very quick and dirty job, but following the SotC cover steps:
trico.jpg
[/IMG]

Anyway, I'd like an original illustration on the cover, hand made, with old paper texture and all.

Imm0rt4l

freethought said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the cover. Unless you live in America.

yea...ico's american box art was shit. I actually think The American SoTC box art is better than the other 2 though.

jmd494

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Could someone make this picture 1280x720 widescreen? Thanks.

http://ruliwebimg.nate.com/data/news10/06m/05/ps3/ruliweb_tricoe3_04.jpg
If you have MS Paint, this is VERY easy to do yourself. Save the picture to your desktop and open the picture in paint. Go to Tools (or one of the top menus), attributes, select pixels from the drop down menu, and type in the desired number of pixels.

Save the image and you're all set.

sholmes

Neo Member
What do you guys think about trophies in The Last Guardian? I know they're required in every game now, but I'd like an option to turn the notifications off.

I almost cringe at the thought of a trophy notification popping up in the middle of this game. Ideally, I'd like TLG to have no trophies at all.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jump_button said:
any one see this being befor SotC?

It's pretty likely IMO to be before SotC. I'm sure it will be about Dormin.

freethought said:
Yeah, trophy notifications would be horrible. Keep that shit far away.

Honestly does a game like this even need Trophies? I don't think ICO had any other difficulty settings and there aren't any collectibles. SOTC had both but I see this being more linear like ICO without any collectibles or difficulties.

Not really a stunts game either.

If they are there then I can understand wanting to remove notifications, hopefully they listen.

MvmntInGrn said:
Honestly does a game like this even need Trophies? I don't think ICO had any other difficulty settings and there aren't any collectibles. SOTC had both but I see this being more linear like ICO without any collectibles or difficulties.

If they are there then I can understand wanting to remove notifications, hopefully they listen.

Honestly, I don't care if they let you turn off notifications or omit trophies entirely. But you just know if they don't include trophies there's going to be plenty of bitching about it. I could definitely do without that.

freethought said:
Honestly, I don't care if they let you turn off notifications or omit trophies entirely. But you just know if they don't include trophies there's going to be plenty of bitching about it. I could definitely do without that.

umm you can do that in the settings menu already... so i dunno what you guys are crying about.

elseanio

MvmntInGrn said:

My PAL ICO had a few special items on a second playthrough. (Including
an alternate ending, subtitles, 2-player mode and a lightsaber
)

I would image, given they have the time, that TLG will come with trophys, of which I hope most will be down as 'secret'.

ilikeme

elseanio said:
My PAL ICO had a few special items on a second playthrough. (Including
an alternate ending, subtitles, 2-player mode and a lightsaber
)

I would image, given they have the time, that TLG will come with trophys, of which I hope most will be down as 'secret'.
I know about the
subtitles and lightsaber
but can you explain/link the
alternate ending and 2-player mode
?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
freethought said:
Yeah, that was my bad.
It wasn't really. Even if you turn notifications off, trophy notifications still pop-up

The only way to avoid them would be for the developer to handle them in a way they are handled in Linger In Shadows. Trophies are unlocke only after you finish the session.

I think/hope, this game will have some ambiguous trophies anyways, stuff that you won't get through normal gameplay, but instead be stuff like hunting lizards in SotC or some such.

Lord Error said:
It wasn't really. Even if you turn notifications off, trophy notifications still pop-up

The only way to avoid them would be for the developer to handle them in a way they are handled in Linger In Shadows. Trophies are unlocke only after you finish the session.

I think/hope, this game will have some ambiguous trophies anyways, stuff that you won't get through normal gameplay, but instead be stuff like hunting lizards in SotC or some such.

An option to turn off all notifications when starting the game would be a good compromise. That way you wouldn't have to keep going into the settings every time too. But turning off notifications wouldn't be so terrible and if they go the LiS route with trophy notification then we're all good.

I hope you're right about the kinds of trophies in the game though. Nothing is lazier than trophies for simply progressing through the linear path of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom