• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of US infected has arrived - Possibly NSFW

Chris_C

Because it's annoying when people make zombie stories, but have some "realistic" excuse at how they are totally not zombies. Because you know, zombies are silly. And the alternative is always "they're infected!"

Calling these zombies would be as inaccurate as calling an android a cyborg. They're totally different things.

Skidd

So disgusting, but so well made.

I would really like if these things acted more as a 'boss levels' in the game. Humans are something you can handle but these would be the worst mofos you could ever come across, which you want to avoid at all costs.

And if sound plays a huge role, and presuming the infected have improved hearing, there should be consequences to using say your handgun. You use it to take out someone but then you would have a certain amount of time before the infected come to investigate area.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think they're trying to avoid what they did with UC3. They showed too much up front for that game. I think I like it this way, then they can blow their wad at E3.

Showing too much of a game is a problem for some developers. Some don't agree with the likes of, say, Valve or R* showing very little of their games prior to release, but I much prefer this more reserved approach.

I've deliberately all but ignored The Last of Us thus far. It's Naughty Dog and the premise is intriguing -- that's enough for me.

Edit:
8B4Zf.png

A+

Endesu

Reminds me a bit of some of the Siren zombies. A few of them also had some rather messed up growths on their heads.

Ithil

I'm confused. Are the images in the OP actually based on the nasties from The Last of Us...? Or is this some kind of joke post? People are responding to it like a joke, but I don't see a joke...

That is a bust (by Naughty Dog) of the design of the infected enemies in Last of Us. People are reacting to it because they find it revolting (as intended).

Ithil

Because it's annoying when people make zombie stories, but have some "realistic" excuse at how they are totally not zombies. Because you know, zombies are silly. And the alternative is always "they're infected!"

So what should they do instead, then?

Have generic zombies and tell everyone "this is a zombie game, you kill zombies and these are zombies"? Not have any unsettling infected human enemies because someone doesn't like having zombies in games?

What is even the complaint here?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
They're zombies. Screw this "infected" mumbo jumbo that makes it sound more realistic, they are ZOMBIES.

Well actually what we call zombies are actually ghouls, real zombies don't run arond eating people, they do the bidding of their hoodoo master

Loudninja

So what should they do instead, then?

Have generic zombies and tell everyone "this is a zombie game, you kill zombies and these are zombies"? Not have any unsettling infected human enemies because someone doesn't like having zombies in games?

What is even the complaint here?
Some people love complaining about useless things.

I hope the infected are rare encounters in the game, sort of maybe like a boss character, like metroids in metroid or something.
popping out only in real "OH SHIT" moments. Normal encounters should just be human.

I care because I dislike the concept of zombies and to call them something else just to make it sound different is dishonest at best.

Oh come on. it's not like you hear nd trying to convince you it's not zombies. in fact. they keep stating that these creature/infecred/zombies is not the focus at all.

Loudninja

I care because I dislike the concept of zombies and to call them something else just to make it sound different is dishonest at best.
Are you kidding me? They can all them whatever the hell they want to.

I hope the infected are rare encounters in the game, sort of maybe like a boss character, like metroids in metroid or something.
popping out only in real "OH SHIT" moments. Normal encounters should just be human.
They are rare, humans are the main focus.
-You will be facing humans more frequently than infected, as humans are the focus of the game. That's why none of the infected were shown in the demo.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461993

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, those designs ARE fantastic. Even seeing them in full on brightness they are genuinely creepy and disgusting. The whole idea of some sort of fungal growth taking over the hosts definitely allows for more disgusting designs.

Bloodrage

Banned
Are you kidding me? They can all them whatever the hell they want to.

in·fect [in-fekt]
verb (used with object)

1. to affect or contaminate (a person, organ, wound, etc.) with disease-producing germs.
2. to affect with disease.
3. to taint or contaminate with something that affects quality, character, or condition unfavorably: to infect the air with poison gas.
4. to corrupt or affect morally: The news of the gold strike infected him with greed.
5. to imbue with some pernicious belief, opinion, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infected
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infect?s=t

Who the fuck do Naughty Dog think they are for using the word "infected" to describe the...infected?

Dishonest at best, bro.

Loudninja

in·fect [in-fekt]
verb (used with object)

1. to affect or contaminate (a person, organ, wound, etc.) with disease-producing germs.
2. to affect with disease.
3. to taint or contaminate with something that affects quality, character, or condition unfavorably: to infect the air with poison gas.
4. to corrupt or affect morally: The news of the gold strike infected him with greed.
5. to imbue with some pernicious belief, opinion, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infected
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infect?s=t

Who the fuck do Naughty Dog think they are for using the word "infected" to describe the...infected?

Dishonest at best, bro.
It crazy how this is an actual issue.

Loudninja

Nothing really new

Another factor that adds to the survival element is the scarcity of ammunition and the difficulty of taking down one of the monsters pictured above. Play says that, “every bullet counts,” and that plowing through a bunch of enemies armed with nothing but a submachine gun is bad news. Players will have to think and plan the attack beforehand and all this coupled with the Persistent Health system makes for a really, really challenging games. Which is fine, considering that high difficulty will mix in well with the environment of the game.
http://wccftech.com/places-emphasis-survival-elements/

Top Bottom