• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us (Naughty Dog): Hold One Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomski

Uh... you're the one making the assumptions.

The trailer made it clear.. why would they give you a false view of the game? The guy saying maybe they are "smart" zombies is funny when the video showed the same old cliche dumbass zombies trying to eat them some brains.

Part of me thinks it almost has to be significantly different for ND to split their studio and simultaneously dev two IP's (especially when one is moneybags).

I mean, I guess they could be really similar, but ND doesn't seem the type of studio that would pursue a new IP if it didn't offer some new ground/challenge.

I hope so.

If it's another cinematic platformer/tps just with fungus zombies instead warlords/cults then my interest will decline significantly.

But if it's more open-worldish or RPG-ish or along the lines of something like say, Dead Island (which was poorly executed, but a dev like ND could execute it brilliantly), then we will have something to really get excited about.

Obviously, they are not your "typical zombies."

However, I really cannot understand the zombie hate. Is that the cool thing now on GAF? Hate Zombies?

Sure, there have been a dozen or more zombie games this generation, but there is still room to improve in a gaming world filled with "zombies>"

newjeruse

Tweet from Druckman in November. Instructive?
Neil Druckmann @Neil_Druckmann

Playing Ico (in HD!). Amazing how this game is still the benchmark for best allied NPC. C'mon, Ueda, hurry up and finish The Last Guardian.

inky

The trailer made it clear.. why would they give you a false view of the game? The guy saying maybe they are "smart" zombies is funny when the video showed the same old cliche dumbass zombies trying to eat them some brains.

Might be the twist?

The amount of generic they packed into the trailer really is quite impressive.

*yawn*

FWIW I'm with you, man. I don't doubt/deny ND's technical mastery, but the way they play to the tropes and conventions sometimes makes me wonder how do they decide what games to make and how to make them.
In any case, any comments that are not blatant and unending praise of the studio and their games always seem unwelcome in these kind of threads, so I wasn't about to word it like that. I guess I owe you this one for summing up my feelings.

Donthizz#

More Details, found it on IGN..

Naughty Dog has posted more details...
"Abandoned cities reclaimed by nature. A population decimated by a modern plague. Survivors are killing each other for food, weapons; whatever they can get their hands on.

Joel, a brutal survivor, and Ellie, a brave young teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together if they hope to survive their journey across the US."

More Details, found it on IGN..

Naughty Dog has posted more details...
"Abandoned cities reclaimed by nature. A population decimated by a modern plague. Survivors are killing each other for food, weapons; whatever they can get their hands on.

Joel, a brutal survivor, and Ellie, a brave young teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together if they hope to survive their journey across the US."

Sounds like it's inspired by Resistance.

kevm3

I hope it's more 'survival horror' based and not shooter focused. I need a nice atmospheric game that actually makes you feel underpowered.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
FWIW I'm with you, man. I don't doubt/deny ND's technical mastery, but the way they play to the tropes and conventions sometimes makes me wonder how do they decide what games to make and how to make them.
In any case, any comments that are not blatant and unending praise of the studio and their games always seem unwelcome in these kind of threads, so I wasn't about to word it like that. I guess I owe you this one for summing up my feelings.

It's funny... I think about all the other devs out there. Lets say they all do a "zombie" game.

How many of them end up going with a young girl as a protagonist? How many take their cues from material like The Road.

Because, dude... anything that reminds me of The Road just wafts generic. I mean it's dripping in generic.

snack

6484070331_4f2851fdaf_b.jpg

Has this been posted already?

Replicant

I'm thinking they build somewhat on the chase sequences they started in UC3 and maybe even some of the stealth.

I'm so curious... can't believe we have zero info. :?
Hm, do want! That chase sequence in Yemen part of UC3 was one of the most fun I had in Uncharted series.

Is generic on a word of the day calender or something, apparently every single thing is generic.

I just think some people say "generic" or "meh" when they can't think of a way to actually describe how they feel about a game. They're both thrown around way too much.

NeoUltima

I hope its like Skyrim or GTA where it is an open world, a sandbox type of game. This is the reason why we dont need ps4 yet because ps3 still has lots of power and we still have allot of great games to come next year like this game, FFversus13, last guardian, bioshock, etc. I hope too finally see a survival horror game where you can use vehicles like tanks, jeep, helicopter, etc. to kill monster and zombies. hehehe

Info on the PSblog says something about their 'journey across united states'. So I wouldn't expect an open world.

I would like open environments at least. Not just corridors like UC.

To be a great 'survival' game it would need to have open environments imo. You should have to search the environments for ammo and shit. If it was linear, you would just pick up everything as you went along, diminishing any sense of scavenging/survival.

Um, no. It was not clear at all... all that was clear were that these things had some strange ass mutated fungal growth or something on their heads and have some severe rage.

How do you get trying to "eat some brains" from that!? From the one attacking Joel? How do you know it doesn't just want to spread an infection? Maybe it just wants to kill for the sake of killing? Maybe they don't even kill at all and just simply convert you? No one really knows, because the trailer isn't clear. Nothing is clear and you are making assumptions that they just want to eat brains.

One thing i've been wondering...was the first person the guy was fighting infected or not?

He looked normal and could have been a bandit, but from the sound it may have implied an early stage of infection?

Evolved1

Stuff Naughty Dog does that no other dev gets close to...

One moment (among many) from the trailer that stands out... I love the look/nod they give each other as he readies his revolver and the things busts through the door. Little stuff like that helps sell the Uncharted games for me.

Ploid 3.0

They're not zombies. >_>

I watch a lot of discovery channel type shows, there's also some mind control that makes the victim appear normal. The fungus head guy could be an advanced stage of infection, messing up his skull and teeth area.

There probably won't be any of these uninfected in disguise situations but that would be interesting.

Wasp larva feed on caterpillar from the inside, grow, then exit that caterpillar making it aggressively defend them until it starve to death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMG-LWyNcAs

Ichneumon Wasp, causes ants to fight among themselves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLvuevf__Ok

These two aren't caused by fungi but maybe this fungus that effect the humans in this game could have such traits.

Yeef

Not only that, it looks ripe to be pretty much a co-op required game (or be forced to play with a half assed AI character), which makes it an instant pass anyway.
Uncharted has you accompanied by AI partners for huge chunks of the game and most of the time its transparent. They have little to no effect on combat and are, essentially, just there for the banter, which is great, because it helps bring the world to life. I suspect it'll be similar in The Last of Us.

Ashley Johnson's twitter confirmed Joel is played by Troy Baker.
http://twitter.com/TheVulcanSalute

Given it is Naughty Dog and her statement about mo-cap, I'm sure they will be doing the same method of acting, mo-cap and vocal performance capture all-in-one like they do with Uncharted. Going to be nice to see some other actors other than Nolan, Emily and Richard. I love 'em and I hope to see them again in another Uncharted, but other actors get to experience the Naughty Dog way! Hehe.

So, Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson in mocap suits then?

She says she is doing the mo-cap. Hence my statement above.

longdi

Banned
character graphics look better than U3! if it is 3rd person and not on rails, that would be unreal for a ps3 game, naughty gods believe!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Zombies or not who the hell cares guys? It's a new IP, by NAUGHTY DOG.

HOT CAN YOU NOT BE FUCKING PUMPED!

I don't care who the dev is when it's based on an enemy that I am bored to tears with. The masses will still buy it, Dead Island proved that, but this looks like it wasn't made for me one bit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No, not really. I don't think it's the same. But it's quite a bit closer than a bald space marine.

Just out of curiosity... do you think this image/character is "generic"?
She's the most generic looking of the L4D survivors by far. And I like how ND just made her a couple years younger and stuck her in their game, clothes, hairstyle and all.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
6484011965_daeb245f63_o.png

Naughty Dogs are the greatest developers of our time.
How the fuck is this real time?

Evolved1

She's the most generic looking of the L4D survivors by far. And I like how ND just made her a couple years younger and stuck her in their game, clothes, hairstyle and all.

Oh wow... nice twist. Did not see that one coming at all... You're a master.

yogaflame

Neo Member
Info on the PSblog says something about their 'journey across united states'. So I wouldn't expect an open world.

I would like open environments at least. Not just corridors like UC.

To be a great 'survival' game it would need to have open environments imo. You should have to search the environments for ammo and shit. If it was linear, you would just pick up everything as you went along, diminishing any sense of scavenging/survival.

Of course in a post apocalyptic world tanks, jeeps, helicopters , etc are left. And there are still military or police survivors. Hope too see vehicles use. An open world will be great. drool...

Premise kind of deflated my expectations. Zombies, American city, post "apocalypse", most likely linear gameplay along the lines of Uncharted. Loved the Uncharteds but can't say this has me hyped in any way whatsoever.

Basch

Cool premise, lets hope this one puts gameplay over presentation and production values.

That's how it's always been. I swear sometimes the people here are getting increasingly more ridiculous by the day. Every time ND comes up with a new game they brainstorm what would be awesome to play. They then try and connect the dots. In UC3, they wanted to explore a desert setting; they wanted to test their physics engine on new set pieces like the cargo plane and the shipyard (same with the train and helicopter levels in UC2). They're always coming up with gameplay. The writers/creative directors will then come up with a narrative with a set of characters that channel the atmosphere and the world they've come up with. And then finally, the graphics and presentation are implemented to a fine sheen. There's been a lot of interviews covering their design process. Their focus has always been to create a story-driven game, and a character-driven story.

In a lot of ways, it's kind of like a TV show. You have a general idea of what you want to do. You then assemble your cast, prepare sets, and build props. Sometimes the budgets cut (or you're on a low one already) or a producer tells you which guest characters you'll need to write in, or it will start raining when you were planning to shoot with sun. Shit happens and you still got deadlines. You have to work with what you're given. It's cool if you didn't like it, but implying that they didn't consider developing good game mechanics or even try to is quite honestly horse shit. For all you now, maybe they didn't make any concessions and they actually thought they had a fun game. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom